TESTERS WANTED! ×

On course Strategery

Shankster

15 hours ago, Waazzupppp said:

I'm a big fan of front-middle-back for attacking greens. If you always go middle yardage, you could be long, short, right, left or any combination of those. When you play to flag distance, more often then not, you kill off two of those options.

For example: 135 to front, 145 to middle and 155 to back. If I go middle and the pin is front, I have 30+ feet for birdie... Ditto if it's back...If I miss left or right to the middle, I have 50+ feet in.

Now, if I hit a good 135 shot to a front flag, pretty much the worst I have is a pin high chip from the fringe at 30 feet. Best case, I hit the shot well have have a very possible birdie and easier two putt par. Either way, I like playing to front/middle/back rather than center only.

I'm a so-so amateur, so I don't hit my approach shots exactly to the middle.  I try, but it doesn't happen as much as I would like. LOL  

Given your numbers... 135 front, 145 middle, and 155 back, The pin will not be at 135 or 155.  I have a laser, but for most rounds I only use GPS (don't ask!).  The way I figure it, if the pin is a red flag (front), it will likely be close to halfway between 135 and 145, so I would estimate 140.  Same way figuring to a blue flag (back), so 150.  When I shoot for the middle and I actually hit 145, I will be close to a middle pin, but only off by 15 feet, maybe a little more or less depending on where the pin is exactly.  Since I'm not that good, I could be off by more just because I may miss right or left as well.  

By hitting to the middle, I can avoid hazards left, right, short and long.  Once in awhile I get lucky, and I look like I know what I'm doing.  Other times, well... I look like a so-so amateur.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm an idiot, so, I will take dumb chances on shots that are less than 60% or more chance of succeeding. 
Having said that..... this year, I'm going to focus on fairways and greens. I'm going to try hard to not take those dumb shots. That includes no pin seeking on small greens.... or any greens, unless the pin is somewhere close to the middle. I'm going to try hard to just find the fairway and get on any part of the green.

I do that too...

GPS: “265 to carry the water”

Me: “265 my a$$... watch this”

Lake: “that was only 245 pal, nice try!”

Me: “stupid GPS!”

4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I do that too...

GPS: “265 to carry the water”

Me: “265 my a$$... watch this”

Lake: “that was only 245 pal, nice try!”

Me: “stupid GPS!”

"Hey!  I didn't pay green fees just to lay up!"  😄

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

My strategy is to always avoid trouble and to eliminate the big number that can ruin a score. This may seem boring to some but it’s actually a lot more challenging than it appears at first glance.

I live just outside of Fort Jackson in Columbia South Carolina. Given the fact I’m only 5 miles from the club house I tend to play out there quite a bit. Fort Jackson is the home of two course; Old Hickory and Wild Cat. Number 11 on Wild Cat is the number 1 handicap hole. It’s an uphill dogleg left 410 yard hole with a drop off on the left and the green surrounded by bunkers on the right.

There are basically two ways to play this hole. You can drive it along the tree line to the left in hopes you clear the bunker and roll out to a 170 yard approach shot or you can go safe to the open area of the fairway and have a 200 plus approach into the green. My strategy is always to the right then play to the front of the green. A drive to the left towards the fairway bunker runs to much of a risk; pull into the woods, fall short and land in the bunker, or clear the bunker but roll down into the tree line.

IMG_0136.thumb.JPG.bdd2b30bbec83f0254e3e6aedf9246ae.JPG

IMG_0137.thumb.JPG.a62756b378546583a4527ce6ee8de693.JPG

My strategy is to play for a 5 (bogey), hope for a Par and Pray for a birdie. If I get out of there with a 5 I’ll make up that shot on the next short Par 5. A risky shot may end up in the fairway bunker 200 out or in the tree line. If either of those two happens a bogey is the best you can hope for and run the risk of a double and maybe a triple.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

22 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I don't go out and play with a strategy in mind per se'.  I go out to try and play as best I can (every time) and that entails hitting the ball well and making good decisions along the way.  Most every time I play it's competitive - meaning; me and my buddies are gambling or wagering if you will. We always play with a few bets - dollars on the line. Not much mind you but something. For example, a $2.00 Nassau might was well be a $200,000 Nassau. Like most of you I play the same course most of the time. I don't need a strategy to play my home course but if there is one; it's called fairways & greens. If I can hit can many of them as possible I score good. I can also score well missing them because I recovered from a missed fairway or got up and down when missing greens. Not sure if you guys have noticed but the pros miss plenty of F&G too. Which leads to.... expectations. If you're an amateur like me you're going to miss plenty of F&G during a round. Right? But some days are better than others. Putting? It can be a deal killer if you're a poor putter. Becoming a good or better putter will also change your game and overall attitude. Learn to become better at it. I can't tell you how many times I've (and others I know) actually played rather poorly but my putter bailed me out. Get better at putting. And lastly.... if you're not that good or simply want to get better at this game seek out someone that can help you with your ball striking. (notice I didn't say swing) Most good players I know do this from time to time. Try to find guys that are much better than you to play with as often as possible. And finally... quit over thinking this damn game. We're our own worst enemy.

A lot of good stuff here.  I don't play with any strategy either, simply a desire to hit the shot I want to hit even if I can't.  Hence, the massive handicap.  One of my favorite expressions is "you know I've got to try this."

I agree $2 or $200,00 makes no difference.  My buddy and I used to say "a dime or a dollar, it's all about the reach" as in somebody's got to reach into their pocket and pull something out.  Doesn't matter what it is, if you're doing the reaching it still hurts.

Good putting will definitely bail you out.  If I could eliminate my 3 putts, I could probably take 5 strokes off my score regularly.

No doubt the mental part is the toughest part of the game.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

My strategy is to always avoid trouble and to eliminate the big number that can ruin a score. This may seem boring to some but it’s actually a lot more challenging than it appears at first glance.

I live just outside of Fort Jackson in Columbia South Carolina. Given the fact I’m only 5 miles from the club house I tend to play out there quite a bit. Fort Jackson is the home of two course; Old Hickory and Wild Cat. Number 11 on Wild Cat is the number 1 handicap hole. It’s an uphill dogleg left 410 yard hole with a drop off on the left and the green surrounded by bunkers on the right.

There are basically two ways to play this hole. You can drive it along the tree line to the left in hopes you clear the bunker and roll out to a 170 yard approach shot or you can go safe to the open area of the fairway and have a 200 plus approach into the green. My strategy is always to the right then play to the front of the green. A drive to the left towards the fairway bunker runs to much of a risk; pull into the woods, fall short and land in the bunker, or clear the bunker but roll down into the tree line.

IMG_0136.thumb.JPG.bdd2b30bbec83f0254e3e6aedf9246ae.JPG

IMG_0137.thumb.JPG.a62756b378546583a4527ce6ee8de693.JPG

My strategy is to play for a 5 (bogey), hope for a Par and Pray for a birdie. If I get out of there with a 5 I’ll make up that shot on the next short Par 5. A risky shot may end up in the fairway bunker 200 out or in the tree line. If either of those two happens a bogey is the best you can hope for and run the risk of a double and maybe a triple.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

This is a thing I need to keep in mind. If the course says 4 I'm always trying to get a 4 which leads to more blowup holes than I would like.
As my friend says, "They need to pay me a salary to manage the course."

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

This is a thing I need to keep in mind. If the course says 4 I'm always trying to get a 4 which leads to more blowup holes than I would like.
As my friend says, "They need to pay me a salary to manage the course."

I volunteer a a local LPGA event as a walking scorer so I have the opportunity to see and talk to some of the best players in the world and their caddies. They always reiterate that bogeys will happen but you always have to play to avoid the big numbers.

So while we all want to make par or better, you can’t try to fix a bad situation. Accept the result and make the purpose of the next shot to get you back into good position. Don take high risk shots that have the potential of a great result or being in the same or a worse place for you next shot.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Laser it, check the pin, check the win, pick the shot, fire.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

On 3/26/2019 at 10:47 AM, Shankster said:

This year I am going to try a more conservative route and see how it effects my game.

I've heard teaching pros say about course strategery ... "Make an aggressive^ swing on a conservative line"

^ "aggressive" as in confident, fully committed to that shot

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

My strategery is simply knowing my typical miss and that if I do miss, it's not going to punish me too bad.  I think that's the biggest key for all of us, staying within our limits.  I know that I'm most likely to leak a ball out right when I miss.  Why should I take dead aim at a flag on the right of the green when the last thing I need to do is leave myself with little green to work with if I miss?  Understanding that and playing to that miss has helped me out a ton in improving my GIR%.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

On 3/26/2019 at 2:21 PM, THEZIPR23 said:

I don't if anyone follows Scott Fawcett on twitter. Good follow for strategy although he is very arrogant, his information is good. Sometime last year he had Aaron Wise (PGA ROY) hit 20 7 irons in a row. His dispersion on those 20 shots was 34 yards. Just shows how varied even tour players are with shots. The point being yes it is generally good to aim for fat parts of green or fairway but it is also very important to know what your dispersion is. One without the other will not equal desired results. 

"How do you know where you are going if you don't know where you are?"

His DECADE program is really illuminating...he doesn't typically share it a lot but he got into a bit of a spat with Brandel Chamblee on Twitter and showed where people should hit the ball versus where they were typically hitting it.

The DECADE thing is pricey but from what I've seen is one of the best on course strategy programs around.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Hi DECADE program is really illuminating...he doesn't typically share it a lot but he got into a bit of a spat with Brandel Chamblee on Twitter and showed where people should hit the ball versus where they were typically hitting it.

The DECADE thing is pricey but from what I've seen is one of the best on course strategy programs around.

Yea, he dislikes Brandel. 

The price is the only thing that has stopped me from using it. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

it really is interesting how much you need to think out on the course.
I liked this video from Chris Ryan.

My problem is commitment.
If I have 240 on a p5 do I grab my 3w and hit it and try for the bird or do I hit my hybrid 200, get on the green and 2putt?
Sometimes when I pull out that 3w I'm not fully committed and the little angry golfer in the back of my mind is saying you really shouldn't be doing this.... 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I've heard teaching pros say about course strategery ... "Make an aggressive^ swing on a conservative line"
^ "aggressive" as in confident, fully committed to that shot

Oh for sure. I meant conservative as in use more irons on holes that don’t “require” a wood. The course I play I really only need driver on the par 5’s. The par 4’s are short comparatively. Maybe one or two long ones. Been so long I can’t remember.

Here is hole 4, a 280ish par 4. Been on in 1 once. Over top of those trees on the left. Usually plays into the wonderful north wind, and the green is above you the whole way.

IMG_5213.JPG

The play here is to hit that spot at the 200 mark, you’re almost level with the green that slopes away slightly but is receptive. You can get closer but you can’t see the flag very well.

....at the end of the day though, you have to be honest with yourself and not too critical.  Ben Hogan said he usually only hit 8 good shots in a round.  If you have anywhere close to that you're doing pretty well.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

The ability for a golfer to truly think on the course is something that is overlooked.  By eliminating typical misses as @lungbuster mentioned as well as fixing the commitment problem @GolfSpy Stroker mentioned I think most golfers can change their handicap by a few strokes.

I know that the more time I have put into learning about course management, the better I have scored. I still have my holes where my ego takes over and I make a mistake, or doubt creeps in and I make a mistake.  The more I can do to eliminate these things, the better I will play.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

His DECADE program is really illuminating...he doesn't typically share it a lot but he got into a bit of a spat with Brandel Chamblee on Twitter and showed where people should hit the ball versus where they were typically hitting it.

I watched a few of his videos on YouTube and you are correct they are very illuminating and informative.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

If I have 240 on a p5 do I grab my 3w and hit it and try for the bird or do I hit my hybrid 200, get on the green and 2putt?
Sometimes when I pull out that 3w I'm not fully committed and the little angry golfer in the back of my mind is saying you really shouldn't be doing this.... 

In my *extremely* humble opinion... Given as someone who does *not* have an anywhere nearly accurate enough 200+ shot - I'd be laying up to where I thought I had the best chance to get a nice Up & Down for that birdie opportunity....

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

7 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

it really is interesting how much you need to think out on the course.
I liked this video from Chris Ryan.

Yeah, that vid is really good!!! It's a clear and concise version of a very high quality playing lesson (or two) .. good find!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I didn't want to jack the Ping 410 review thread so I will post it here as it is more applicable. 

@GolfSpy MPR posted a good training on how to measure green size via google. And @GolfSpy STUDque was taking a different strategery during his testing.

If you take the google training and apply it to course management you can understand a little more about the Decade app and its program. Measure the width of your landing area (trouble to trouble NOT just the fairway) if it is 65 yards wide hit driver EVERY single time. If the trouble is less than 65 yards apart for your driver, go to 3W and measure. If you do get to the magical width with that club then that is the proper selection. If it is not the width then you can continue down the bag (careful though as you don't want to leave a too long of an approach shot) until you get your number. If the trouble gets no wider then hit driver. 

Disclosure:  65 yards is dispersion of tour average, your number may be higher or smaller but I believe it is a good baseline. This is a very macro look, there are times it is does not apply but the vast majority of the time it does and it will produce the best statistical advantage for your game.

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."