TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver Fitting

JonMUSC08

Finally was able to get out to my local fitter and get fitted for a new BOOM stick! Little did I know that i would be hitting about 100 drives; mix of different heads and shafts to narrow down the perfect combo.

Traditionally I am a pretty consistent driver of the ball but put me in-front of a launch monitor and i dont know what to do essentially! Very disappointed how bad i was hitting the ball. Regardless, my fitter was able to decipher the right combos to suit my game. Unfortunatley we did not make a mechanical change to my swing until late in the fitting which would have made the fitting better. We narrowed down to 2 main clubs; Taylormade M6 with Mitsubishi Tensei Red Stiff 60 (maybe 65?) and the Callaway Rogue Subzero with the Mitsubishi Tensei blue 60 stiff. Apparently the Rogue zubzero is a backspin KILLER. 

Was able to take both out the the range as  well as onto the course. On the course i could not consistently hit the Rogue yet it went FAR. I consistently hit the TM M6 but not quite as far. The ultimate tradeoff of course. I went to the range and the wind was blasting me in the face. Any slight fade turned into a big slice. Though I consistently hit the M6 well consistently. I brought the clubs back into the shop this afternoon and hit a few more for comparison sake with my improved swing. (numbers can be seen in the attached picture). Ignore the top 2 drives whether they were with my old driver or bad mishits. The top half was with the M6 and bottom half with Rogue SZ. I had one of the best club fitters in the country tell me that the M6 would be more appealing day in and day out playing. BUT i could crush the Rogue on flush hits. Though it was a bit more difficult to consistently square up the rogue repeatedly; toe and heel shots were not nearly as forgiving. Obviously I'm a 14 hdcp and my numbers show it. I can't hit low 2000's in backspin, 12deg launch and minimal side spin consistently.

End of the day it was WELL worth it to get custom fit! It was AMAZING all of the small changes in each shaft and how it correlates with your unique swing. There is NO WAY i would buy a driver off the rack now.

TM M6 in the bag!

IMG_3804.JPG

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Finally was able to get out to my local fitter and get fitted for a new BOOM stick! Little did I know that i would be hitting about 100 drives; mix of different heads and shafts to narrow down the perfect combo.
Traditionally I am a pretty consistent driver of the ball but put me in-front of a launch monitor and i dont know what to do essentially! Very disappointed how bad i was hitting the ball. Regardless, my fitter was able to decipher the right combos to suit my game. Unfortunatley we did not make a mechanical change to my swing until late in the fitting which would have made the fitting better. We narrowed down to 2 main clubs; Taylormade M6 with Mitsubishi Tensei Red Stiff 60 (maybe 65?) and the Callaway Rogue Subzero with the Mitsubishi Tensei blue 60 stiff. Apparently the Rogue zubzero is a backspin KILLER. 
Was able to take both out the the range as  well as onto the course. On the course i could not consistently hit the Rogue yet it went FAR. I consistently hit the TM M6 but not quite as far. The ultimate tradeoff of course. I went to the range and the wind was blasting me in the face. Any slight fade turned into a big slice. Though I consistently hit the M6 well consistently. I brought the clubs back into the shop this afternoon and hit a few more for comparison sake with my improved swing. (numbers can be seen in the attached picture). Ignore the top 2 drives whether they were with my old driver or bad mishits. The top half was with the M6 and bottom half with Rogue SZ. I had one of the best club fitters in the country tell me that the M6 would be more appealing day in and day out playing. BUT i could crush the Rogue on flush hits. Though it was a bit more difficult to consistently square up the rogue repeatedly; toe and heel shots were not nearly as forgiving. Obviously I'm a 14 hdcp and my numbers show it. I can't hit low 2000's in backspin, 12deg launch and minimal side spin consistently.
End of the day it was WELL worth it to get custom fit! It was AMAZING all of the small changes in each shaft and how it correlates with your unique swing. There is NO WAY i would buy a driver off the rack now.
TM M6 in the bag!
IMG_3804.thumb.JPG.ac4af7c61e689ef897e9244bbf5504ce.JPG

Nice! Awesome that you got to take them on-course! That’s huge!!! Congrats on the new BOOM stick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

How many different shafts did you try with the M6 and how much a difference from shaft to shaft did you see in your own feel/consistency?

Driver: Callaway Rogue - Project X HZRDUS Yellow, 6.0, 63g

Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 wood, Rogue MAX stiff, 75g

4-6 Iron: Mizuno JPX-850 - Project X 5.5 

7-PW: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged - Project X 5.5

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 (50, 54), Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60 ES

Putter: Odyssey Marxman, Currently tested and kept Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc grip

Very nice.. Congrats on the new driver... 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Congrats!  sounds like  a positive experience.

I cannot believe more people do not do some kind of fitting to see evidence vs buying something they 'think' may fit them off the rack.  Of course people will now say 'I know my swing - I don't need to get fit'.

I tried hitting what I thought were similar profile shafts in my existing driver, that I as fit for last year.  Was not convinced it was perfect. 

Differences were significant (like 10-15-20 yards difference due to shaft, flex, head weight configuration...but also to dispersion and feel).  Ended up reversing the head weights to get a little more spin and adding more head weight.

Why leave distance and accuracy on the table?

• 1 month later...

Congrats on the new driver! What a fantastic experience. I'm looking to get a new driver (and fairway woods/hybrids) and have a fitting scheduled for June. Hopefully it will be as enjoyable an experience as yours!

Driver - :ping-small: G400 LST

3W & 4H - Orlimar High Energy 2

Irons - :cobra-small:F7 OL (5I - GW)

Wedges -  Top Flight Gamer Tour 52* 56* 60*

Putter - Orlimar HE2

Balls - Vice Pro

Great driver from everything I've seen and heard - have fun with it!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 3/27/2019 at 9:05 AM, gchester33 said:

How many different shafts did you try with the M6 and how much a difference from shaft to shaft did you see in your own feel/consistency?

I did about 10 different combinations of heads and shafts. BUT that was changing between the M6, M5, Flash SZ, TS2, TS3, G410 SFT. I believe there were only about 6 shafts i tried... The Tensei shaft we went with worked well in conjunction with the M6 head. Probably the most forgiving FOR ME. Everyone will have a different experience. On the course i have definitely hit the ball straighter.

Dont base your shaft decisions off any of my information. If you can get fit by a REAL fitter, DO IT.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder