Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review- Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 Wedge

That's a bummer about your experience with the wedges. I'm curious how the length you ordered compares to your gamers? I know the XW-1 stock length is a little longer than the stock length on the SM5s I was playing. Seems like that could have very well been at least some part of the issue for you. Still, not every club is meant for every golfer and despite me giving them an overall positive review Bridgestone needs to do some work if they want to gain more traction in the wedge market. 

You definitely hit the nail on the head in regards to the length. I’m six foot one but I also have alligators arms so I ordered them an inch over standard. I didn’t realize stock they were a bit longer to begin with. I guess I ended up with an extra 1 1/2 inch. I’m sure the added length was a contributing factor.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Update - I took the 50* & 60* out of my bag. Not 100% ready to throw these wedges on the BST yet, but want to go back to a LW that I feel comfortable using for chips with a square face, which is my preferred shot for most chips. My Glide ES grind LW allows for that, and is a rock star out of bunkers. The 50* is more of a full shot club for me, and the Bridgestone's high-flying Modus 105 shaft can't compete with the heavier $-taper in my set GW.

I still have the Bridgestone 54* in the bag and love it for full swings and the more creative short game shots, but my OCD about matching SW & LW might lead me to go back to the Ping 54* too LOL.

On 6/14/2019 at 11:29 AM, hartrick11 said:

Update - I took the 50* & 60* out of my bag. Not 100% ready to throw these wedges on the BST yet, but want to go back to a LW that I feel comfortable using for chips with a square face, which is my preferred shot for most chips. My Glide ES grind LW allows for that, and is a rock star out of bunkers. The 50* is more of a full shot club for me, and the Bridgestone's high-flying Modus 105 shaft can't compete with the heavier $-taper in my set GW.

I still have the Bridgestone 54* in the bag and love it for full swings and the more creative short game shots, but my OCD about matching SW & LW might lead me to go back to the Ping 54* too LOL.

Gotta do what works for your game!

I'm still getting along okay with my set although I still wish they had a heavier shaft. Nonetheless, I haven't experienced any major issues even with the higher trajectory. I need to spend some more time at the range with the 58* though. I'm trying not to use it as a full swing club and it's had me guessing an awful lot on my yardages. With other clubs, if I know what a full swing is, I can usually get a good estimate on what a 3/4 or 1/2 swing will do.

On 6/14/2019 at 9:29 AM, hartrick11 said:

Made it two weeks with mismatching wedges in my bag! Mental midgetry. 

Anyway, seems like a waste to have them sit around in my garage, and I am not going to go down the re-shafting route, so I will be putting the Bridgestones up on the classifieds soon in case anyone is interested, and will be sure to send back some of the proceeds as an MGS donation thank you.

All in all, I would definitely consider these with the next set of wedges I purchase, but it would need to be a custom order vs. the stock wedges we tested. Even then, I would ideally like to see more selection on sole grinds, at least at the SW lofts of 54* & 56*. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

Made it two weeks with mismatching wedges in my bag! Mental midgetry. 

Anyway, seems like a waste to have them sit around in my garage, and I am not going to go down the re-shafting route, so I will be putting the Bridgestones up on the classifieds soon in case anyone is interested, and will be sure to send back some of the proceeds as an MGS donation thank you.

All in all, I would definitely consider these with the next set of wedges I purchase, but it would need to be a custom order vs. the stock wedges we tested. Even then, I would ideally like to see more selection on sole grinds, at least at the SW lofts of 54* & 56*. 

Still liking mine well enough to continue playing them, but I doubt I'll replace them with another set of Bridgestones for the reasons you just highlighted. It's a shame really, there's so much to love about these wedges, but then they're also so far away... I may at least consider a re-shaft come winter - I'm thinking about going through the whole bag and looking at potential options with a fitter. We'll see though. I'd still prefer to wait it out until I can afford a brand new bag of clubs that 100% tailored to me.

• Like 1

Still doing okay with mine. Still wishing I had a different shaft, but I'm still able to flight these when I need to so I'm getting by. I've finally started figuring out how to use these in various types of sand. Extremely fluffy sand is still an issue, but aside from that I'm getting along great with these. I'll really have to weigh my options carefully when I go to replace these because I am loving the forged feel. 

• Like 2

I'll have to snap a picture if I think about it, but I have to report a casualty after my on-course adventures this past Friday while playing Briarbrook Golf Course in Carl Junction, MO. On the par 3 4th, I tugged my tee shot left where it caught the side of a hill and bounced into a native area on the side of an even steeper hill. I was able to locate the ball in a comparatively sparse patch of weeds. I hit a good shot that found the green and gave me a good look at a par save (though I didn't get it). Unfortunately, there were some rocks down there and now I have a nice little ding in the leading edge of my 58-degree wedge. Oh well. That's just part of life in the Ozarks...

As previously reported, the wedges are still working out okay. There are still things I would change about them if I could, but I'm not ready to give up the forged goodness (and my pocketbook isn't ready to relinquish any $$$ for new clubs).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So I know @GolfSpy STUDque had asked at one point in this thread, and I am pleased to announce I finally got one of these wedges to find the hole!

Played Dub's Dread in KC for the first time this past Monday with a friend. After nearly topping my tee shot into some very tall, very thick native grass and deciding to re-tee, I found myself laying in the rough just in front of the green with an uphill lie and the putting surface a good 2.5 - 3 feet above the ball. The pin was placed all the way at the back and I was just hoping to get it close. I opted for the 50-degree wedge based on the lie and distance to the pin, hit it pure and carried about halfway then continued to roll up the mild slope and turning left until it tapped the pin and fell down to the bottom of the cup!!!

I've had several close calls this season, but that's the first chip-in I've had in quite a while it seems like. I was really hitting the wedges pretty good from all over with just a few discrepancies here or there. Soft fluffy sand continues to be an issue, but thankfully I only found 1 bunker that round. I'm also very certain that if my technique for bunker shots was better, that I'd have less trouble. I need to see if I can get a lesson and really work on that some more.

I'll try to get some updated photos to show everyone how the clubs are wearing so far. I've played quite a few rounds with them, but haven't practiced as much as I should. Still, I play the ball down almost always and that's saying a lot in the Ozarks where it's not difficult at all to find rocks and all sorts of things just below the turf. These clubs have taken a beating and are doing just fine IMO.

Edited by TR1PTIK
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Well it's possible I may have finally figured out how to keep the trajectory down on these wedges! Went to the range on Monday or Tuesday and was just trying to dial in my swing with the irons and wedges. Once I got in a rhythm with these things I wound up gaining almost a full club in distance and cut the trajectory down substantially. It wasn't just the wedges either, it was through nearly the whole bag. Something about what I was working on really got me compressing the ball well I guess. I can't wait to get out to the course tomorrow and see if I can duplicate the results!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

Well it's possible I may have finally figured out how to keep the trajectory down on these wedges! Went to the range on Monday or Tuesday and was just trying to dial in my swing with the irons and wedges. Once I got in a rhythm with these things I wound up gaining almost a full club in distance and cut the trajectory down substantially. It wasn't just the wedges either, it was through nearly the whole bag. Something about what I was working on really got me compressing the ball well I guess. I can't wait to get out to the course tomorrow and see if I can duplicate the results!

Glad to hear it! I have moved on to a nice pair of gently used Vokeys that I found for a song on eBay, and the lower flight they provide (I never figured out how to do it with the Bridgestones), along with the D grind on the 60 have been really helpful. I do definitely miss the feel of the Bridgestones though!

• Like 2

On 8/15/2019 at 6:08 PM, hartrick11 said:

Glad to hear it! I have moved on to a nice pair of gently used Vokeys that I found for a song on eBay, and the lower flight they provide (I never figured out how to do it with the Bridgestones), along with the D grind on the 60 have been really helpful. I do definitely miss the feel of the Bridgestones though!

Glad you found something that works for you. There are still things I would certainly change about these wedges if I could, but I'm happy with what they have been able to do for my game in spite of their shortcomings. My on-course experiment with the swing changes didn't go quite as well as I had hoped. I think it was largely a combination of inconsistent ball striking and soft, wet conditions. I don't think it's much of a secret that these wedges perform their absolute best off firm soil and we just didn't have that this weekend with rain off and on most of the week (including the day of play). I'll keep working on it.