TESTERS WANTED! ×

Most Wanted Mallet 2019 - Not that surprised

JudgeSmails

9 hours ago, PMookie said:

I see the face on the winner has been milled, but what’s the “tech”????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tommy Armour putters have broken the Matrix.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

1 minute ago, JohnSmalls said:

Tommy Armour putters have broken the Matrix.  

As inexpensive as this thing is, I find it surprising that I almost never see one of these in a sig around here. Does anyone actually game one of these? Its almost always Evnroll around here.

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

The issue I have with the winner is there’s no ability to get one made to my specifics. With all of the other makers I can get that. Yeah, I’m not an “off-the-rack” guy.
I see the face on the winner has been milled, but what’s the “tech”????

Depending on what specifics you are looking for, a club maker should be able to make any change an OEM can make for you.

Is there “tech” in the putter? Probably depends on the persons definition but no real roll technology. What I actually like about this putter is that it is smaller heel to toe and made it easy to setup behind the ball. My preference is starting to migrate to mallet styles because the heads are generally becoming more compact in size

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 minutes ago, bardle said:

As inexpensive as this thing is, I find it surprising that I almost never see one of these in a sig around here. Does anyone actually game one of these? Its almost always Evnroll around here.

That’s because we all bought Evnrolls before TA took the crown and you’d have to pry our Evnrolls out of our cold dead hands.  

There are a few of TA’s floating around on the forum though. Some guys really like them, others sold them after buying them. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

What I actually like about this putter is that it is smaller heel to toe and made it easy to setup behind the ball. 

Bingo Cnosil, that was the first thing I noticed when I rolled in it Dick's yesterday while I was there taking some in store photos of the TP5 Pix. Anything that's easier to align is going to help and that's why I think it's so good from that middle distance. I wasn't crazy about the feel, but for alignment it's pretty damn great.

And again, I think it's important to note, and maybe this is more for those dopes in the article comments, this is not a "be all end all" list and anyone using it as such isn't getting the point. Sure, some putters will perform slightly better than others, but this should be a jumping off point for you, the consumer, to begin your search. It gives you enough information as to not go in blind and maybe make a suggestion or two to the employee or fitter you are working with.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Bingo Cnosil, that was the first thing I noticed when I rolled in it Dick's yesterday while I was there taking some in store photos of the TP5 Pix. Anything that's easier to align is going to help and that's why I think it's so good from that middle distance. I wasn't crazy about the feel, but for alignment it's pretty damn great.
And again, I think it's important to note, and maybe this is more for those dopes in the article comments, this is not a "be all end all" list and anyone using it as such isn't getting the point. Sure, some putters will perform slightly better than others, but this should be a jumping off point for you, the consumer, to begin your search. It gives you enough information as to not go in blind and maybe make a suggestion or two to the employee or fitter you are working with.

I do think that the presentation of the information leads to some of the confusion. People are interpreting the percentages as make percents and not the percent of players that it was best for with statistical significance. In other cases it is just people who didn’t see their putter on top or in the test and just say the test isn’t right. I have my thoughts on the scoring process and have expressed them in a thread last year, but I am not a statistical analysis expert and MGS can score the tests how they determine to be the best.

The putter isn’t bad, but there are a lot of factors that every player need a to take into account when selecting and fitting themselves to a putter. I personally think that we should test our gamer putter as part of the test to see if we see improvements over our gamers; probably only relevant to the tester themself, but since I am one of the testers would be nice for me to know.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I can’t believe that a spider, Scotty or seemore didn’t make win a category. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Has Scotty ever made it?

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Depending on what specifics you are looking for, a club maker should be able to make any change an OEM can make for you.

Is there “tech” in the putter? Probably depends on the persons definition but no real roll technology. What I actually like about this putter is that it is smaller heel to toe and made it easy to setup behind the ball. My preference is starting to migrate to mallet styles because the heads are generally becoming more compact in size

There was a video a year ago, or so, that Adam did that said one should only use a putter that has face-tech, as evidenced by the Ping and Evnroll wins. With the Juno and TA winning this year, it seems that face-tech isn’t as crucial anymore.

No seemores in the test. I was surprised that the spider x wasn’t higher.

But that would require buying one, not knowing any specs other than length, and then going to get fitted ($), then paying for a new shaft ($), grip ($), etc ($). It ends up costing me as much as anything else. Too much hassle. Anyway, nothing against the putter at all, just as I stated, I’m not buying a putter off-the-rack. I’ll roll one when I go to Dick’s just for fun.

In an extremely UN-scientific test over the winter I'd gone into a PGATSS and tried a few different EvnRoll models vs my then-current putter ... I ended up picking the ER5 (33", 385g head - which I didn't even buy there, picked up a like new used off Budget Golf).

It's nice to see the "validation" that I made a smart choice, but even if it finished DL in the MGS rankings I'd be using it, it's working well for me and I'm comfortable with it 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

There was a video a year ago, or so, that Adam did that said one should only use a putter that has face-tech, as evidenced by the Ping and Evnroll wins. With the Juno and TA winning this year, it seems that face-tech isn’t as crucial anymore.

I know the video you are referring to. I still think face tech is beneficial for long term performance gains. The TM putters did redesign their pure roll insert so there is some claim of an insert that Tries to improve the roll.

What we don’t see in the results is miss dispersion/speed control. In these two 30 foot putt scenarios which putter would you pick:

1. No makes with all missed putts stopping within 1 foot of the hole both shot and long and all second putts made.

2. 1 make and missed putts are within 3 feet both short and long of the hole and all second putts made.

I personally would lean toward scenario 1. The make isn’t as important as the lack of distance control. I have as much as 6 feet of difference at the distance. The example now starts looking at the benefit of face tech and fitting.

I can assure you that the scenarios I described above are real as they happened to me during the testing. During the blade and mallet testing I had 1 3 putt and everything else was 2 putts or less and I had to make a few 3+ footers for the second putt.

But that would require buying one, not knowing any specs other than length, and then going to get fitted ($), then paying for a new shaft ($), grip ($), etc ($). It ends up costing me as much as anything else. Too much hassle. Anyway, nothing against the putter at all, just as I stated, I’m not buying a putter off-the-rack. I’ll roll one when I go to Dick’s just for fun.

o

Not disagreeing with you, but it is an option. Also the MGS tests are about off the rack stock non upgraded clubs which is what most people purchase. Fitting brings new variables into the testing.

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I know the video you are referring to. I still think face tech is beneficial for long term performance gains. The TM putters did redesign their pure roll insert so there is some claim of an insert that Tries to improve the roll.

What we don’t see in the results is miss dispersion/speed control. In these two 30 foot putt scenarios which putter would you pick:

1. No makes with all missed putts stopping within 1 foot of the hole both shot and long and all second putts made.

2. 1 make and missed putts are within 3 feet both short and long of the hole and all second putts made.

I personally would lean toward scenario 1. The make isn’t as important as the lack of distance control. I have as much as 6 feet of difference at the distance. The example now starts looking at the benefit of face tech and fitting.

I can assure you that the scenarios I described above are real as they happened to me during the testing. During the blade and mallet testing I had 1 3 putt and everything else was 2 putts or less and I had to make a few 3+ footers for the second putt.

Can I assume that the testing is on basically flat surface with very little break?  What about direction of putts?  Are putts made in two directions?  I am asking because some surfaces have different speeds in opposite directions.

6 feet of difference from 30 feet seems like a lot to me.  I would be disappointed with that.  I assume that was with your not-so-favorite putter.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Went and rolled some of these guys at the local PGASS over lunch. All of them except the winner since the closest DSG is 20 minutes from work. 

I liked the new and old ER5 a lot, I didn't notice a whole lot of difference in either though for me, Rolled what I thought was the new Ping Sigma Tyne and absolutely fell in love. Rolled it for a good 20 minutes, Distance control is incredible with this thing. I used to say I used my Top Flite because it didn't matter what putter I used until I improved...Now I'm thinking a way to improve is by getting a new putter...😅

Also turns out that was last years Sigma Tyne...not this years..

RH:

#cobraconnect19

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

I personally would lean toward scenario 1*. The make isn’t as important as the lack of distance control.

* All putts w/in 1 ft.

Totally agree! For me, Distance control is key - I'll take tap-in 2 putts all day vs having to work to avoid 3 putts...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Can I assume that the testing is on basically flat surface with very little break?  What about direction of putts?  Are putts made in two directions?  I am asking because some surfaces have different speeds in opposite directions.

6 feet of difference from 30 feet seems like a lot to me.  I would be disappointed with that.  I assume that was with your not-so-favorite putter.

It is basically a flat surface and we roll the putts in one direction.   I have putted both ways on the surface and the speed is pretty equal in both directions.

I probably exaggerated a little on the distance disparity to better illustrate my point.  We only putt from 20 as the longest,  I did have a couple of putts with close to that miss distance.  The really short ones were the result of a really bad stroke and the  long a reaction to leaving putts short due to a not so hot face.   Rolling all the putters does give you a good feel for how they would perform on the course.  Some faces are hotter and some not so much.  You do start to notice a trend with individual putters.  I try to make the same stroke length and tempo with each stroke but sometimes when you see a long or short putt you make adjustments.  some putters you just struggle with at certain distances.  One I felt like I rolled the ball well at 10 and 20 feet,  but it was really hot off the face and either I made the 5 footer or blew it by the hole becuase I couldn't get a feel for that short of a stroke length due to the design of the putter. 

3 hours ago, bardle said:

Went and rolled some of these guys at the local PGASS over lunch. All of them except the winner since the closest DSG is 20 minutes from work. 

I liked the new and old ER5 a lot, I didn't notice a whole lot of difference in either though for me, Rolled what I thought was the new Ping Sigma Tyne and absolutely fell in love. Rolled it for a good 20 minutes, Distance control is incredible with this thing. I used to say I used my Top Flite because it didn't matter what putter I used until I improved...Now I'm thinking a way to improve is by getting a new putter...😅

Also turns out that was last years Sigma Tyne...not this years..

I haven't rolled the new Ping Sigma 2, but I can't imagine it being any better than my Sigma G.  I didn't like any of the Evnroll putters when I was at the PGATSS, but I made everything with the Ping at Ping HQ when I was fitted.  A good putter that fits and feels good will certainly save strokes.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

It is basically a flat surface and we roll the putts in one direction.   I have putted both ways on the surface and the speed is pretty equal in both directions.

I probably exaggerated a little on the distance disparity to better illustrate my point.  We only putt from 20 as the longest,  I did have a couple of putts with close to that miss distance.  The really short ones were the result of a really bad stroke and the  long a reaction to leaving putts short due to a not so hot face.   Rolling all the putters does give you a good feel for how they would perform on the course.  Some faces are hotter and some not so much.  You do start to notice a trend with individual putters.  I try to make the same stroke length and tempo with each stroke but sometimes when you see a long or short putt you make adjustments.  some putters you just struggle with at certain distances.  One I felt like I rolled the ball well at 10 and 20 feet,  but it was really hot off the face and either I made the 5 footer or blew it by the hole becuase I couldn't get a feel for that short of a stroke length due to the design of the putter. 

I'm not sure that I could switch putters like that.  Maybe if I did one putter a day and had an hour warmup with it.

Not at all surprised. I am a guy that sucker'd myself into buying an expensive custom built putter. Why? Just because I guess. I putted great before the buy with a $39 putter. I putt just as good with the $ouch$ putter. No difference and nobody was impressed either. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I'm not sure that I could switch putters like that.  Maybe if I did one putter a day and had an hour warmup with it.

Most sessions are 6-8 putters and the look can vary widely for each putter.  At least with blades they are somewhat similar,  but with mallets the designs vary greatly.   Generally I warmup with one of the collection of putters that are on the wall just to get a feel for the distances.  No practice putts before you start with a new test putter so you may be surprised at how far the ball goes withe the first putt.   Most putters are pretty close in distance, but you do find a few that will throw you for a loop and that is when you start getting the distance gaps.   

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Most sessions are 6-8 putters and the look can vary widely for each putter.  At least with blades they are somewhat similar,  but with mallets the designs vary greatly.   Generally I warmup with one of the collection of putters that are on the wall just to get a feel for the distances.  No practice putts before you start with a new test putter so you may be surprised at how far the ball goes withe the first putt.   Most putters are pretty close in distance, but you do find a few that will throw you for a loop and that is when you start getting the distance gaps.   

No practice putts!! Ouch!  That 6 foot range is starting to look pretty good now.  😀

Based on last year’s numbers I picked one up in July. My putting improved instantly. This one will probably be in my bag for a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

Hmm might be getting a new putter here soon..can't beat that price and lord knows I could use the help. 

It’s a great putter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

On 3/29/2019 at 10:52 AM, cnosil said:

No seemores in the test. I was surprised that the spider x wasn’t higher.

Guess who's bagging a Spider X? 😉   🕷️

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Guess who's bagging a Spider X?    

It is on my serious consider list. I pick it up every time I go to do testing or see it in a store. It just feels really good. I want to do some head to head comparisons against a slant neck #7 and see who comes out on top.

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

It is on my serious consider list. I pick it up every time I go to do testing or see it in a store. It just feels really good. I want to do some head to head comparisons against a slant neck #7 and see who comes out on top.

It puts a really smooth roll on the ball and I like the look at setup which inspires confidence. I may go with a larger super stroke grip however that will be after the honey moon period. Mine is the blue one and it's one sharp looking putter! 😍

Cleveland

12 hours ago, cnosil said:

The #7 style putter has always been one of my favorites.   The new Odyssey #7 would definitely be something I wouldn't mine putting to the test.    

Cleveland

Made it to DSS and rolled this thing. Was basically a wasted trip. I like the weight on it and it feels good on contact but the putting green is so small and shaggy at DSS that I have no clue how good the thing actually putts. They have heavy security devices on every other putter so the weight is weird so I can't compare it either....

RH:

#cobraconnect19