JudgeSmails

Most Wanted Mallet 2019 - Not that surprised

Did they make a counter balanced Daddy Long legs? That’s what I think it was.

Did they make a counter balanced Daddy Long legs? That’s what I think it was.

Yes it was officially counterbalanced because it had a 130gr grip. Not unusual for a grip to be that heavy now but at that time I think it was a new thing.
  • Like 1

Under that logic, I believe I am going to go find some persimmons, some blades from the 1920's, a wooden mallet for a putter and  maybe even a featherie.   2019 US Open here I come!
Hey let me tell you sumthin. Sam Snead was the best damn driver of the ball the game has ever seen and he NEVER used no 460 cc G4M5BigBertha's Fat Ass piece of titanium crap! Every time I see some hack with one of those oversize pieces of garbage I know they can't drive the ball outta their dam shadow. Dustin Johnson my ass!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, gaussman1 said:

Hey let me tell you sumthin. Sam Snead was the best damn driver of the ball the game has ever seen and he NEVER used no 460 cc G4M5BigBertha's Fat Ass piece of titanium crap! Every time I see some hack with one of those oversize pieces of garbage I know they can't drive the ball outta their dam shadow. Dustin Johnson my ass!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You forgot to finish it with "Now get off my lawn!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I honestly go to comments first, then read the article. I am amazed every single time. 

Same...these guys are the gifts that keep on giving.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm still amazed by how consistent the Evnroll ER5 gets the ball rolling on the intended line. I don't think I've seen a flatstick as consistent, especially on the short putts...and this is coming from a putter ho who cycles through putters every 2-3 months. 

• Like 2

The issue I have with the winner is there’s no ability to get one made to my specifics. With all of the other makers I can get that. Yeah, I’m not an “off-the-rack” guy.
I see the face on the winner has been milled, but what’s the “tech”????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pretty cool to see a "house brand" take the top spot. I have to admit I haven't tried any of the Tommy Armor products but with these reviews I may just have to.

9 hours ago, PMookie said:

Tommy Armour putters have broken the Matrix.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnSmalls said:

Tommy Armour putters have broken the Matrix.  

As inexpensive as this thing is, I find it surprising that I almost never see one of these in a sig around here. Does anyone actually game one of these? Its almost always Evnroll around here.

• Like 3

The issue I have with the winner is there’s no ability to get one made to my specifics. With all of the other makers I can get that. Yeah, I’m not an “off-the-rack” guy.

Depending on what specifics you are looking for, a club maker should be able to make any change an OEM can make for you.

Is there “tech” in the putter? Probably depends on the persons definition but no real roll technology. What I actually like about this putter is that it is smaller heel to toe and made it easy to setup behind the ball. My preference is starting to migrate to mallet styles because the heads are generally becoming more compact in size
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, bardle said:

As inexpensive as this thing is, I find it surprising that I almost never see one of these in a sig around here. Does anyone actually game one of these? Its almost always Evnroll around here.

That’s because we all bought Evnrolls before TA took the crown and you’d have to pry our Evnrolls out of our cold dead hands.  

There are a few of TA’s floating around on the forum though. Some guys really like them, others sold them after buying them. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

What I actually like about this putter is that it is smaller heel to toe and made it easy to setup behind the ball. 

Bingo Cnosil, that was the first thing I noticed when I rolled in it Dick's yesterday while I was there taking some in store photos of the TP5 Pix. Anything that's easier to align is going to help and that's why I think it's so good from that middle distance. I wasn't crazy about the feel, but for alignment it's pretty damn great.

And again, I think it's important to note, and maybe this is more for those dopes in the article comments, this is not a "be all end all" list and anyone using it as such isn't getting the point. Sure, some putters will perform slightly better than others, but this should be a jumping off point for you, the consumer, to begin your search. It gives you enough information as to not go in blind and maybe make a suggestion or two to the employee or fitter you are working with.

• Like 1

Bingo Cnosil, that was the first thing I noticed when I rolled in it Dick's yesterday while I was there taking some in store photos of the TP5 Pix. Anything that's easier to align is going to help and that's why I think it's so good from that middle distance. I wasn't crazy about the feel, but for alignment it's pretty damn great.
And again, I think it's important to note, and maybe this is more for those dopes in the article comments, this is not a "be all end all" list and anyone using it as such isn't getting the point. Sure, some putters will perform slightly better than others, but this should be a jumping off point for you, the consumer, to begin your search. It gives you enough information as to not go in blind and maybe make a suggestion or two to the employee or fitter you are working with.

I do think that the presentation of the information leads to some of the confusion. People are interpreting the percentages as make percents and not the percent of players that it was best for with statistical significance. In other cases it is just people who didn’t see their putter on top or in the test and just say the test isn’t right. I have my thoughts on the scoring process and have expressed them in a thread last year, but I am not a statistical analysis expert and MGS can score the tests how they determine to be the best.

The putter isn’t bad, but there are a lot of factors that every player need a to take into account when selecting and fitting themselves to a putter. I personally think that we should test our gamer putter as part of the test to see if we see improvements over our gamers; probably only relevant to the tester themself, but since I am one of the testers would be nice for me to know.
  • Like 5

I can’t believe that a spider, Scotty or seemore didn’t make win a category. 

Has Scotty ever made it?

Depending on what specifics you are looking for, a club maker should be able to make any change an OEM can make for you.

Is there “tech” in the putter? Probably depends on the persons definition but no real roll technology. What I actually like about this putter is that it is smaller heel to toe and made it easy to setup behind the ball. My preference is starting to migrate to mallet styles because the heads are generally becoming more compact in size

There was a video a year ago, or so, that Adam did that said one should only use a putter that has face-tech, as evidenced by the Ping and Evnroll wins. With the Juno and TA winning this year, it seems that face-tech isn’t as crucial anymore.

I can’t believe that a spider, Scotty or seemore didn’t make win a category. 

No seemores in the test. I was surprised that the spider x wasn’t higher.
  • Like 2