TESTERS WANTED! ×

V - Sole Comparisons

Shankster

Ok. I haven’t played a V-Sole iron or wedge that I remember. Other than the obvious spec difference between the bounce, brand, and the other obvious stuff.... like grips, and anything else that is well written. And that too.

Hogan vs Srixon

What’s the big deal with a V- Sole?

Has anyone used both of these? Which did you prefer, what is your swing type? Digger, picker, trencher, nipper?

Convince me that I need to try either one of these. You can use the 965 Srixon if you have that experience.

It’s time to buzz the tower.

IMG_5188.JPGIMG_5189.PNGIMG_5190.JPG

I have nothing to add to your conversation, other than I find the Z-Forged to be the prettiest blades out right now. Does that help? 😀

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I have nothing to add to your conversation, other than I find the Z-Forged to be the prettiest blades out right now. Does that help? 

A little. After reading their design ideas with the whole wave thing. I’ve read that the blade length is a touch longer than the other brands too.

I have only tried them on mats. From what I have read the v sole helps with fat contact so I would guess it would benefit a digger.

I have also learned that while the z-forged is a beautiful club, I struggle to hit it consistently.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have tons of experience with V-soles on my wedges and I love them - extremely versatile, easily the most accurate wedges that I’ve had on full shots and great turf interaction.

I’m a picker so my swing type prefers a thicker sole once I get to around an 8 iron (whatever that loft might be.)

So in my bag I go extremely blade in my 60,56,52,48,44 to GI in the 9.

Also I play in a wide variety of conditions throughout the course of the year including different types of grass (overseeded with rye in the winter some form of Bermuda in the summer) and different types of sand. I used to need two sets of wedges, a summer set with more bounce for the wet conditions.

I can’t help with the Srixons, they look wonderful and we all know that they do well in MGS most wanted tests.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

Always willing to give my input when i can. Some may be relevant and some may not be

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I haven’t hit the Srixon’s but I played the Hogan’s last year and I thought the v-sole was great. It gives a lot of confidence if you worry about hitting it fat. I would go to the range and purposely hit balls from divots just to see if I could, no problem.

I am however, a picker. I learned the game by hitting 1950’s era blades on a farm field so lies were pretty terrible, and combined with a sharp leading and negative bounce you really had to be careful not to hit it fat. I am now back to playing my KZG’s which has a similar sole width as the Hogan’s but lacks the V-sole and I can’t say I miss it.

I think the v-sole allows the club designers to make the iron more compact, which nearly everyone that plays a more players style club asks for. Instead of a very wide sole, or tons of bounce, the v-sole gives the playability of a wider sole, or more bounce sole, but in a more eye pleasing package.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Like Rev. I have played the v-sole wedges (SCOR) for years and I liked the turf interaction.  I'm not the greatest ball striker; I hit my share fat and thin, and I am not a digger.  My goto shot around the greens is my 58º SCOR and it works, but it's showing wear.  

I have been giving the Callaway PM grind a tryout the last couple of weeks, and I like it but it's a 54º with 14º of bounce.  So far, the C-grind sole seems to work pretty well for me, and I think I will be adding a 58º or 60º, which is my choice for most chips and pitches.

I tried the Srixons out last year at Demo days, but they felt completely different than my SCOR wedges, and I couldn't put a good swing on them.  Nice looking, but apparently not for me.  If I were in the market for irons that are compact with a v-sole, I would consider Ben Hogan.  For the moment I'm stuck on the wider sole SGI Bridgestones.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The VSole is a big part of the reason I’m still playing Srixon irons and will continue to do so.  I’ve always been steeper and a bit of a digger when swinging my irons and they allow the club to cut right through and not go too deep.  I have the confidence that when I really need to get after one, even if I catch it a touch fat, I won’t lose much.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

Srixon, with their v-soles and beautiful club design caught my attention about a year and a half ago.  Bought the highly rated z565 irons and LOVE them.  Filled the wedges with Cleveland CBX Cavity Backs, 48, 52, 56 and 60 degree.  These, too have the v sole wedge and are the only wedge I've ever performed well with.  The v-sole has MUCH to do with this, as I am a digger.

Being somewhat impulsive and more than a bit of a club-ho, I have recently looked for a "back up" set of irons and was drawn to the Cleveland CBX irons for several reasons.  They don't cost an arm and a leg, the long irons are incredibly easy to hit, and the gapping works perfectly with the wedges I mentioned above.  

My thoughts are these...Srixon/Cleveland is a FAR underrated company that is currently producing extremely high quality irons.  I may be biased because using the CBX irons for the third round I played with them garnered me a 9 iron 140 yard hole in one and the lowest score I've ever shot on my home course (a 73).  I don't think I'll ever part with my 565's and will at some point put them back in the bag, but with the results of the CBX irons, which happen to have great feel for a non-forged iron, they will be my gamers for the foreseeable future.  

Anyone looking for quality equipment should NOT overlook Cleveland/Srixon!

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a cool golf center today to get my clubs all dialed in and gapped. While I was there, the guy casually snuck a fitting in on me, and the Srixon 585 on a 80 gram kbs graphite shaft tied with the kgb tour head on the same shaft.

im a digger and he felt that the v-sole on the 585 was perfect for my swing. It seemed like a pretty big V compared to the kgb sole. The 585’s seemed like a fairly traditional loft as they were 10 yards shorter than my p790’s, which we all know are a strong hot club. I only hit on the mat, so I can’t tell you much, but it was interesting how the mat particles were left on top of the V, and not the leading edge

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

• 2 weeks later...

Had Scor wedges and Nike Covert Forged irons with v soles.  Neither were very consistent for me. Last year I got Srixon Z565 irons and the v sole on these has been great.  Turf interaction is best by far.  I don’t know why they work better for me, just happy with the results.

Edited by ED13

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

I'm pretty shallow into the ball and I have not liked any of the V-soles that I have tried (which include Srixon, Hogan and Scor).  The feel into and through the ground just is not right for me and my contact is just as not as crisp as it should be.

• 2 months later...
On 4/22/2019 at 4:24 PM, Sluggo42 said:

I went to a cool golf center today to get my clubs all dialed in and gapped. While I was there, the guy casually snuck a fitting in on me, and the Srixon 585 on a 80 gram kbs graphite shaft tied with the kgb tour head on the same shaft.

im a digger and he felt that the v-sole on the 585 was perfect for my swing. It seemed like a pretty big V compared to the kgb sole. The 585’s seemed like a fairly traditional loft as they were 10 yards shorter than my p790’s, which we all know are a strong hot club. I only hit on the mat, so I can’t tell you much, but it was interesting how the mat particles were left on top of the V, and not the leading edge

I'm sorry if I'm missing something- kgb tour irons?

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I’m a fairly shallow hitter and the V-sole on my Hogan irons works pretty well for me. Definitely not a magic fix, it still takes a good swing but slight misses get a bit of help.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 1 year later...

Older thread but relative to my current down select decision on irons - the ZX5 vs. G425.  From the responses on this thread and other sources, it seems the v-sole is best suited for "diggers";  that is they get the biggest benefit.  But it also sounds like the design is just fine for scalpers?  There is certainly a big difference between my finalists.  The relief cut on the sole at the heel further reduces interaction with the ground. I think @deejaidis correct that the v-sole really lends itself to making the iron look very player category-like without actually being one. The differences from top-line and face are not anywhere near as dramatic as from the sole. My testing was on artificial turf so I'm not sure if I'd experience different results on the real stuff?  I need to follow-up with the fitter on this question.

PXL_20210128_185819757.jpg.fce33bab9d1f055a55ef9c0abff3c2b5.jpg

1299214489_G425vsZX5Sole.jpg.358ba0d3c2c14c960b715192f7b3c40a.jpg

877160379_G425vsZx5face.jpg.de72d4b201582cd25239d12c3454a015.jpg

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

27 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Older thread but relative to my current down select decision on irons - the ZX5 vs. G425.  From the responses on this thread and other sources, it seems the v-sole is best suited for "diggers";  that is they get the biggest benefit.  But it also sounds like the design is just fine for scalpers?  There is certainly a big difference between my finalists.  The relief cut on the sole at the heel further reduces interaction with the ground. I think @deejaidis correct that the v-sole really lends itself to making the iron look very player category-like without actually being one. The differences from top-line and face are not anywhere near as dramatic as from the sole. My testing was on artificial turf so I'm not sure if I'd experience different results on the real stuff?  I need to follow-up with the fitter on this question.

The v sole in my experience works with a shallow swing as well as a steeper one. I’m not a digger and had no issues playing the z545 or the z765. 

Iirc Ian talked about the sole and how @Golfspy_CG2 swing in the video of his fitting based on his numbers. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Based on everything I’ve heard you need to test these on grass to really understand the interaction. I never hit the vsole but people either say they love it or hate it with not much in between

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

20 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Based on everything I’ve heard you need to test these on grass to really understand the interaction. I never hit the vsole but people either say they love it or hate it with not much in between

I'm looking for any pro shops in the area that might have them. If they hit as well off turf, my decision is a tough one... in a good way.

21 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

That's what I've seen in reviews as well.  I've only had the v-sole on the SCOR wedges and on my current 50 Edison.  The v-sole did take getting used to, but once I did, I was happy with it.  I have never hit an iron with v-sole, so can't comment on that.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Nothing within 100 miles of Yuma and the dozen or so places in CA or Phoenix area are not at pro shops that would afford testing at the course range 😢.

22 hours ago, Kenny B said:

That's what I've seen in reviews as well.  I've only had the v-sole on the SCOR wedges and on my current 50 Edison.  The v-sole did take getting used to, but once I did, I was happy with it.  I have never hit an iron with v-sole, so can't comment on that.

I like it because I have a steeper swing and the courses around me are very diverse in the turf and ruff they have. So that improved turf interaction is worth its weight in gold for me. And i think that is a critical component of the love or hate. Some people's swing and course conditions don't play in a way that needs the v sole, whereas for others it's exactly the feature they need. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

31 minutes ago, MNUte said:

I like it because I have a steeper swing and the courses around me are very diverse in the turf and ruff they have. So that improved turf interaction is worth its weight in gold for me. And i think that is a critical component of the love or hate. Some people's swing and course conditions don't play in a way that needs the v sole, whereas for others it's exactly the feature they need. 

Do you fall into the digger, scalper, or scooper category?

23 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Nothing within 100 miles of Yuma and the dozen or so places in CA or Phoenix area are not at pro shops that would afford testing at the course range 😢.

Srixon is having a Demo Day at the Palm Desert CC on Feb 6.  You can schedule a fitting on the Srixon website.  Don't know if it's outside, but I would hope so.

54 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Srixon is having a Demo Day at the Palm Desert CC on Feb 6.  You can schedule a fitting on the Srixon website.  Don't know if it's outside, but I would hope so.

Great find Kenny.  I had looked at the Srixon website and selected the "demo day" option and nothing came up.  Using the "all events" it shows and I just secured the 11:00 slot.  Still nothing in AZ which seems odd.

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Great find Kenny.  I had looked at the Srixon website and selected the "demo day" option and nothing came up.  Using the "all events" it shows and I just secured the 11:00 slot.  Still nothing in AZ which seems odd.

I would call the CC and find out what the event is before making the trip.  Find out what irons they will have available.

8 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Do you fall into the digger, scalper, or scooper category?

Depends on the shot in trying.

If I'm going for a punch shot, definitely a bit of a digger because I have the ball a bit further back in my stance.

Sometimes if I need to get a bit more up, I'll have the ball a bit more forward in my stance and it's more of a scoop, sure. 

Generally, it's more of a scrape. I have my sequence down pretty well now where it's ball, tiny scrape in the dirt, then air. But that took a lot of time to get to. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I would call the CC and find out what the event is before making the trip.  Find out what irons they will have available.

My thought too...awaiting a call back.  Thanks!