TESTERS WANTED! ×

Iron Fitting - There Can Be Only....Three? FOUR!!!!

Bucky CC

Any advice on what to do when you've gone through three different fittings and each fitting has come away with a different brand/shaft winning combo?

I've been looking at getting new irons this year to replace my 714 AP2s.  There's nothing inherently wrong with the Titleist clubs, I just never felt like they were a perfect fit for me these last 4-5 years.

I started off my journey in December at a new Club Champion that had just opened.  I went through a full bag fitting but spent a good 2 hours hitting irons.  I tried offerings from Titleist, TM, Callaway, Ping, Srixon, and Mizuno.  At the end of the day the best fit seemed to be the Ping i500's (retro lofts) with KBS C-Taper LITE extra stiff shafts.

A few weeks later my fitter at CC invited me back in for a 2nd testing session to verify what we saw during the first since.  This one was about 90 minutes and had a new winner; Mizuno JPX 919 Forged with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts.

Just yesterday I met a buddy who works at Golf Galaxy and went through another 90 minute informal session.  Ping's didn't feel great at all, Mizuno's were solid, but I hit the new Callaway Apex Pro's the best by far.  Stock shaft of the True Temper Elevate Tour in stiff seemed to fit the best with them.

So to make a long story short, three different indoor fitting sessions led to three different club heads with three different shafts in them.  Feels like I'm never going to find that Goldilocks set and each session is going to lead to a new "best fit".

381274074_tenor(2).gif.ab9396c46e3f5de12e54e91ff660368d.gif

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

Just had a topic related to that this week.  You might want to check out this thread to see what others think about that concept.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

This is how fittings often go. You swing is a little different and you swing the sets in a different order and it may work a little better or worse. While you had different results, how did the set from the first fitting perform during your second session?

Between CC and GG, GG will probably only fit you to the shafts available through the manufacturer. Was the exact combo available? Also, I would guess that since CC uses a custom shaft/head connector the swing weighting between both stores may be different.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is why I wonder why golfers who go to a non oem specific fitting schedule more than one when there is a “winner” from the original fitting. If ones swing was way off which happens a lot for amateurs when there’s a launch monitor involved or they are chasing something in the mind that they want out of the clubs imo it makes little sense to do multiple fittings brand agnostic fittings.

amatuers usually don’t have a repeatable swing or in many cases repeatable from day to day.  

A good fitter will be able to take the inconsistencies in ones swings and use how the person swings/delivers the club, use the ball flight and launch monitor data to pair up be right head and shaft combo that will give the golfer the best predictable results. 

In this situation I would take the combo that 1) looks the best to your eye 2) you like the feel of 3) gave the most consistent results 4) makes you want to hit a ball when you see them

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The main reason I went through multiple fittings is that each time the results were very similar for multiple heads/shaft combinations (and it's fun to hit different clubs).  During my first fitting the i500 and 919Forged were very close.  The 2nd fitting was to hone in on the shaft choice but we found early on that I was hitting the Mizuno much better than the Ping.

My last trip to GG was to test out the Apex Pro since it wasn't out yet in January.  They did have the same KBS shafts that I tested with the Ping and Mizuno, but neither of those seemed to match up with the TT Elevate Tour.

I think you're spot on about swing inconsitencies though.  I could do this 10 more times and probably come up with 10 different "winning" fits.

If nothing else I'm happy I have this narrowed down to a top 3 choices.  Once the outdoor demo days start up around here I'll try each outdoors and then make a final decision.  It's just interesting how similar each of the irons was and how I could see a different #1 fit depending on how my swing was that particular day.

Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200

At that point, what iron is going to give you the most confidence shot-to-shot? Based on what you've found, you can swing all three irons well on a given day. Which one is going to be the one that you don't question when you're looking down at the ball?

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

At that point, what iron is going to give you the most confidence shot-to-shot? Based on what you've found, you can swing all three irons well on a given day. Which one is going to be the one that you don't question when you're looking down at the ball?

You are assuming I’m not a complete head case on the course and there is such a unicorn that will give me daily confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

@Bucky - there’s an additional factor here - you’re doing SuperSpeed which may have caused changes in swing speed and ball striking during the time that you were going for those fittings.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

@Bucky - there’s an additional factor here - you’re doing SuperSpeed which may have caused changes in swing speed and ball striking during the time that you were going for those fittings.

Very true; especially between the December fitting and yesterday. Does that mean I get to justify upgrading my whole bag? Not sure the wife will buy that one.

I think coming away with three different manufacturers and three different shafts is fine. I would worry more that you got three identical heads with different shafts.

I would look at the heads that won and say, for the most part, low to mid handicapper with a decent swing, that will benefit from some of the new tech.

Question is, what were the numbers like between the three fittings and compared to your AP2s? If the numbers were close, you probably adapt your swing to the feel of the irons. If they were all over the board, don't make a move yet. If they were the same as your AP2s, then have those fitted and try that out.

Maybe???

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes

3 minutes ago, Waazzupppp said:

I think coming away with three different manufacturers and three different shafts is fine. I would worry more that you got three identical heads with different shafts.

I would look at the heads that won and say, for the most part, low to mid handicapper with a decent swing, that will benefit from some of the new tech.

Question is, what were the numbers like between the three fittings and compared to your AP2s? If the numbers were close, you probably adapt your swing to the feel of the irons. If they were all over the board, don't make a move yet. If they were the same as your AP2s, then have those fitted and try that out.

Maybe???

Agree. I suspect on any given day, all of us might hit a particular club/shaft a bit better or worse than another day.  Unless one of them stands out in distance and accuracy, it will likely just be your decision on what feels, sounds, and looks the best. I would be inclined (if possible) to hit all three of these in one more fitting, using the same LM.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Very true; especially between the December fitting and yesterday. Does that mean I get to justify upgrading my whole bag? Not sure the wife will buy that one.

I’m absolutely sure that my wife won’t. :(

Driver still seems fine to me - it’s fairway wood to PW that are starting the act funky.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

10 minutes ago, revkev said:

I’m absolutely sure that my wife won’t. 😞

Which is why it pays to buy your clubs in Vegas...because what happens in Vegas STAYS in Vegas!  😄 😄 😄 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

• Bucky CC changed the title to Iron Fitting - There Can Be Only....Three? FOUR!!!!

Guess I need to throw Cobra F9 irons into the mix since I was just selected for the Cobra Connect challenge!  At least I have a good starting point for shafts that will work.

Thanks for the earlier responses today!

Any time humans are involved there will be varying levels of bias. You can also not totally rule out sales objectives and or goals a company maybe trying to achieve based on manufacturer incentives and what not.

My recommendation is to take all recommended combinations and build a comparison chart. Enter all characteristics including objective data and subjective feedback. Finally complete a 5th column listing your desired characteristics. This should help you to make an informed decision.

Three or four different combos is not a bad thing. It opens up more options for comparison rather than being limited x club with x grip in x shaft.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Guess I need to throw Cobra F9 irons into the mix since I was just selected for the Cobra Connect challenge!  At least I have a good starting point for shafts that will work.

Thanks for the earlier responses today!

Did they pick the participants already?

Congrats!!!

I guess with no notification, I didn't get selected... Bummer... But that just means more rounds with the @sub70golf #639mb for me this summer. I can't wait to get my hands on a set of them!

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes

9 hours ago, Bucky CC said:

Well I bet the wife won't object now!!  

Congrats. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Pick the prettiest and go with them.

You could go with any of them and be fine. The two shafts I get fit into most often are the C-Tapers and the KBS Tour V, so they must be close. 

Seriously, pick the clubs that you think will give you the most confidence and go play them. Hitting your choices outside at a demo day would let you see what the ball flight actually looks like.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday was my 3rd...and you know the old saying...  😉.  Beans will be spilled in forthcoming thread, but suffice to say that one club kept rising to the top amongst the nearly two hands worth of irons I tested.  At some point you just make a decision.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

At some point you just make a decision.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug