TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sergio vs. Kuchar

If there are two players who can't afford any more bad P.R. at thew moment, it's Sergio Garcia (for this temper tantrums in Saudi) and Matt Kuchar (for his supposed  stiffing a caddie in Mexico). If you haven't seen what happened, Here's a pretty good recap.  In a nut shell, after missing a 7' putt to win the 7th hole, Sergio quickly back handed a short 2-4" putt and missed it to lose the hole. Kuchar attempted to tell the rules official that he had every intention of conceding the short putt but didn't have time before Garcia made his stroke. Garcia argued with Kuchar on the next couple of holes, suggesting Kuchar should concede a hole to 'make things right'.  

My 0.02¢... I am Kuchar bias here. I always thought he was a nice guy and decent player. The caddie thing was way overblown. He should have given the replacement caddie more but nowhere near the full cut a PGA caddie would get. Sergio is a guy who wears his emotions on his shirt sleeve and there is nothing wrong with that. But more often than not, his wounds are self inflicted. His actions are petty and unprofessional. He's not a rookie anymore. He should be able to control himself better. I think it's hurt his ability to be in the elite of the game consistently. 

But to ask another professional to concede  a hole to make up for your mistake is incredibly unprofessional and childish. I really hope some of the more senior players on the tour pull him aside, outside of the media spotlight and tell him how wrong he was to have put Kuchar in that spot. 

What's your thoughts?

Rounds per year: 80-90. 

Handicap: 11.6

In my Bag:

Driver - Taylormade SLDR (Adjusted 1/2 to the draw side and 8* loft)

Fairway Woods: 3 & 5 Taylormade SLDR

Irons 4-AW: Taylormade M2 (2016)

Wedges: Volkey SM6 56* and SM7 60*

Balls: ProVx - preferred, Calloway Chrome second.

Holes in one: None  ;)

Albatross: ONE!  :D

Eagles: Many

Favorite golf slogan: It's a target game, not a distance game. 

I've heard Sergio 'bad stories' for years, some from legitimate first hand sources, I've seen his childish antics on TV across the globe and I've unfortunately personally witnessed an appalling way he interacted with a young fan who wanted his programme signed by Sergio at The Open in Turnberry years ago.

A Leopard doesn't change his spots!

Kuchar seems a decent mild mannered guy. I also believe (read) he offered that caddie $50,000 which was rejected.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Sergio messed up and kuch wasn’t even looking at Sergio at the time. Never assume a putt is/will be conceded. 

To ask your opponent to give you a hole because you assumed something is wrong and against the spirit of the game and may not even be allowed 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

There’s no mention of intent in the rules of golf.

Opinions aside, Sergio created this drama.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

7 hours ago, Putt4eagle said:

I really hope some of the more senior players on the tour pull him aside, outside of the media spotlight and tell him how wrong he was to have put Kuchar in that spot. 

Isn't Segio one of the more senior players on tour at this point? He's a hot head and it cost him and it will continue to cost him until he can get it together. He and Rahm should maybe seek some therapy together.

Driver: Callaway Rogue - Project X HZRDUS Yellow, 6.0, 63g

Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 wood, Rogue MAX stiff, 75g

4-6 Iron: Mizuno JPX-850 - Project X 5.5 

7-PW: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged - Project X 5.5

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 (50, 54), Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60 ES

Putter: Odyssey Marxman, Currently tested and kept Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc grip

This was 100% Sergio's fault. nothing is conceded until it's conceded plain and simple. I don't blame Kuchar for not wanting to concede the next hole or some other hole to "square things up" either because he didn't do anything wrong other than telling his opponent how he felt about the putt. He'd have been better off to not say anything unless asked and then respond with, "you didn't give me the opportunity to concede."

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Gotta agree that Sergio created the issue and is fully at fault.  His temper cost him, yet again.  And then to ask for Kooch to concede a hole was ridiculous.  Sorry Sergio, but you were wrong on both levels.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I agree with what Chester mentioned, him and Rahm need to take some lessons from Happy Gilmore and go into their happy place when they're feeling angry. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I throw my .02 cents in here. At first I was all in on this being 100% on Sergio Garcia but after hearing Kuch’s comments about it last night on golf channel I am down to 93% Sergio 7% Kuch.

Now having said that this situation of Garcia missing the putt and losing the hole is 100% on him. The 7% on kuch comes from him going to the official and telling him I was going to concede the putt but didn’t have a chance to. Had he not sought out the official and waited for the official to come to him, he would be completely innocent in the matter. If he really didn’t want to win the hole that way the. Don’t say anything until you are asked. Kuch did nothing illegal and was completely within the rules of match play but playing the guy that doesn’t want to win that way but I brought it up to the official doesn’t work either.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I'm sorry, I'm just not understanding the opinion that Kuchar was stingy here. Sergio had a temper tantrum before Kuch could concede the putt. It was Sergio's own fault that he lost the hole and then he continued to make a spectacle of himself on 8, 9, and 10. Kuch has no obligation to give him the next hole because Sergio didn't follow the rules. 

Edited by GB13

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I look back at my life and wonder if a TV camera had been in my face for some of my “finer” moments what would it look like?

Very, Very bad is what it would’ve looked like.

Sergio, Rahm, BAD, and a lot of other players run a little warm. They want to win, and are passionate about the game, there is no denying that.

Now tearing up a course, smashing a putter into a green that different, and completely unnecessary.

That’s why I am glad I am not on TV... I’d constantly be getting slammed for being passionate about the game.

Yep...I've done some things during a round of golf that I'm not proud of.  Thrown clubs, bursts of anger, etc.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

I'm sorry, I'm just not understanding the opinion that Kuchar was stingy here. Sergio had a temper tantrum before Kuch could concede the putt. It was Sergio's own fault that he lost the hole and then he continued to make a spectacle of himself on 8, 9, and 10. Kuch has no obligation to give him the next hole because Sergio didn't follow the rules. 

I agree that Sergio started this mess. I am a kuchar supporter and in my opinion the only part of this whole ordeal that has anything to do with Kuchar is the fact that he sought out the official to say he didn’t have a chance to concede that putt. I am not saying he needs to lie or anything like that but he could have just waited to see if the official says something to him. With him seeking out the official right away, I am not buying the “I don’t want to win the hole that way” talk.

Any talk that says Kuch should concede the next hole is just asinine.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

1 hour ago, GB13 said:

Sergio was dead wrong and deserving of the lost hole for his actions.  Kuchar certainly didn't owe Sergio a conceded hole following Sergio's petulance.  When Kuchar starts playing the "good-guy" role is where I have an issue with him.  Had Kuchar told Sergio to screw off, your attitude lost you that hole, I would be perfectly fine with that perspective and have no issue whatsoever with Kuchar.  But when he says "I just want to do the right thing" by calling over an official, it takes on a whole new perspective.  At least it does to me. 

Why is it that I can't get interested in this?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

56 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

Why is it that I can't get interested in this?

because like everything the media (social and otherwise) blows out of proportion, it's much ado about nothing.

A now: a video of Kuchar and Sergio, sitting in a cart this Monday, playing a friendly round together, explaining what happened yesterday (and this is no April Fool's joke):

I literally have no idea what to make of this. It's at least a little awkward. Both say that Sergio made the main mistake, which is right. But it's still weird to watch.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

A now: a video of Kuchar and Sergio, sitting in a cart this Monday, playing a friendly round together, explaining what happened yesterday (and this is no April Fool's joke):

I literally have no idea what to make of this. It's at least a little awkward. Both say that Sergio made the main mistake, which is right. But it's still weird to watch.

I could be wrong, but this sounds forced.

8 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

Any talk that says Kuch should concede the next hole is just asinine.

Yes but to continue the non-sense into the post game interviews.... 'he had options'... is a guy separated from reality. GFY, Sergio. You had options. 

In my Bag:

4 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I will go back to my original comment. Both these guys know they can't afford bad PR and Kuchar was good enough to help bail his fellow player out. There is no victory for Kuchar to argue a winning point. When an enemy is digging himself in a hole, you don't help him out of the hole, you hand him a shovel. But these guys are found more value in burying the hatchet than hardening their position. More points for Kuchar in my book. Hope they can get past it and play well at Augusta. 

In my Bag:

I’ll just leave this rarely discussed topic here for you guys to suss out...

Had Kuch conceded a subsequent hole to “balance the scales of justice” - how does the organized gambling world respond?

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

The Saints didn't get a mulligan against the Rams!  

On 4/1/2019 at 9:51 PM, downlowkey said:

I’ll just leave this rarely discussed topic here for you guys to suss out...

Had Kuch conceded a subsequent hole to “balance the scales of justice” - how does the organized gambling world respond?

In my Bag: