Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

The "I don't give a cr@p about Tiger's marriage, I want to see him play GOLF!" thread

Golfware

Okay,

So here's how I feel about this...

I could seriously care LESS about Tiger's marriage. I could. I couldn't have cared less about his marriage BEFORE the scandal, let alone after the scandal.

I didn't cheer for Tiger because he had the perfectly crafted image. I cheered for him because of the way he CRUSHED a golf ball, the way he was able to hit THE shot when he needed to. In my mind, golf made Tiger, not the other way around.

So in my mind, Tiger NEEDS TO GET OFF HIS TAIL AND GET BACK ON THE COURSE! Image, schmimage. He needs to play golf. Quit worrying about the dumb stuff and play golf. That's why people love John Daly. John plays golf. He has a MESSED up history, but dang it, he goes out and plays golf!

I want to see Tiger at the Master's. I want to see at the US OPen. Heck, I want to see him at Bay Hill for crying out loud!! Enough with the media circus and get your tail out there and play!!

Rant over for now.

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't Tiger's success based on how he's usually the best prepared golfer, down to the last detail? For example, his tough off-the-course workouts, meticulous scouting of the course during practice rounds, etc. etc. etc.

He hasn't had the time to do that over the past 3+ months. So does that mean his game is now on a "C" level? Maybe even "D"? Would that still be good enough to make a PGA cut, let alone win?

I don't understand how taking months off from golf solves that they fact that he had 15 "other" women. How many times can he apologize, and how does it changes from 3 months ago?

Right. I don't care about how many women. I care about watching him play! Who can say they honestly care?? I wish him well. But I wish more that he'd play!!

Right. I don't care about how many women. I care about watching him play! Who can say they honestly care?? I wish him well. But I wish more that he'd play!!

I agree... I don't care about Tiger the husband... I care about Tiger the golfer...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

Tiger will win if he comes back. Dude is a golf machine that thrives on pressure situations. I think that he can mentally compartmentalize. I think that this is a skill that he developed to handle the pressure of the tour in his youth. On course and off course seem to be separate brains in his head.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Ok....I'll go against the grain.

As for me, he's lost a fan. I, personally, like to see good people have success. Now....if he comes back with true contrition and rights his ship, he'll regain me as a fan. YMMV

I don't approve of what Tiger did, but I am tired of the circus of the whole thing and quite frankly I am sure he is. Heck, if one of us did the same thing we wouldn't have to have a media circus following us, just an attorney.

• SPY VIP

We should start a poll thread about what tournament he will return to playing at. Terrible syntax there, sorry.

I have tix to the Open for Fri, Sat, Sun. I want to see him play when I go. I think that the media showing him practicing foretells an earlier return than June.

Volvo Intorqueo

Golfware, you hit in on the head 100%. I want to see Tiger on the course, and I do not care if he's in the gossip pages or not (because I don't read them). As you said, I didn't like him before because he was a great husband, so I don't care now if he's a bad husband. Obviously, it would be nice to cheer for someone who is infallible - perfect golfer, husband, father, etc, but that's not reality. Tiger, come back soon!

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Golfware, you hit in on the head 100%. I want to see Tiger on the course, and I do not care if he's in the gossip pages or not (because I don't read them). As you said, I didn't like him before because he was a great husband, so I don't care now if he's a bad husband. Obviously, it would be nice to cheer for someone who is infallible - perfect golfer, husband, father, etc, but that's not reality. Tiger, come back soon!

The way I am trying to look at this is we see celebrities galore in gossip all the time, but you never see them lay out of their next film or show. Granted, I think Tiger has taken some proper steps to reclaiming his name and his stance in society, but I think he needs to get back on the course and show the public he is ready to move on from what happened. What happened is in the past and we all know you can't go back and change that.

It may be a little off topic... but was he wearing makeup during his speech? The GolfWeek magazine had a close up of him on the cover. It seems a little weird that a professional athlete needs to be beautified for a press conference.

• SPY VIP

The way I am trying to look at this is we see celebrities galore in gossip all the time, but you never see them lay out of their next film or show. Granted, I think Tiger has taken some proper steps to reclaiming his name and his stance in society, but I think he needs to get back on the course and show the public he is ready to move on from what happened. What happened is in the past and we all know you can't go back and change that.

Robert Downey Jr. comes to mind. His crazy past never entered my brain while watching Iron Man or Sherlock Holmes. Drugs and jail, now winning golden globe. Fantastic.

Tiger should get the same opportunity.

Thanks for making the connection to film. Now I have a specific example to use with the non-golfers when they discuss tiger at work.

Volvo Intorqueo

Robert Downey Jr. comes to mind. His crazy past never entered my brain while watching Iron Man or Sherlock Holmes. Drugs and jail, now winning golden globe. Fantastic.

Tiger should get the same opportunity.

Thanks for making the connection to film. Now I have a specific example to use with the non-golfers when they discuss tiger at work.

No problem! As I was reading everything it crossed my mind that we see celebrities in the news or gossip columns every day and they don't put movies, tv shows, or recording sessions on hold. They just go and do their thing and people forget about it.

You gave a perfect example! Robert Downey Jr. has a laundry list of things he has done, but as you said when I watch Iron Man or anything he is in I don't think about what all he has done. Eventually, when Tiger comes back people will hopefully forget this situation like they do with other famous people.

I would prefer he didnt come back, personally I got tired of his antics years ago, throwing clubs, cursing like a teenager, and ignoring the fans.

How anyone can root for a guy that would walk right by them and ignore them and there kids is beyond me.

whats the attraction ? he is a jerk, we all know he is a bad person, the only thing he has going for him is the fact he can get the ball in the hole fast.

I would prefer he didnt come back, personally I got tired of his antics years ago, throwing clubs, cursing like a teenager, and ignoring the fans.

How anyone can root for a guy that would walk right by them and ignore them and there kids is beyond me.

whats the attraction ? he is a jerk, we all know he is a bad person, the only thing he has going for him is the fact he can get the ball in the hole fast.

Yeesh, seems a bit harsh for my taste.

People like to watch him because he's the best in the world at what he does, same reason they like watching LeBron or Kobe if they like basketball. To say, "The only thing he has going for him is that he gets the ball in the hole fast" applies to all tour pros that we watch, right? That kind of reductio ad absurdum could apply to golf in general, or any sport, or most activities.

There's no doubt that he could sign more autographs and be more fan friendly, but, to me, that falls under the heading of "Things I don't care about," just like his marriage. I don't watch sports for role models or to learn how to be a nicer person, I watch sports for athletic excellence, period.

• SPY VIP

For me, I guess it is the hope to see something amazing. His play at the Open in Torrey was amazing. I felt like it was a lightning in a bottle moment in sports. Again, for me.

I make no plans to hang out with him, modeling my relationship with my wife after his, or really mimicing his existence off the course in any way.

But I miss the sense of amazement that came from watching him play the game. Walter Haggin sounds like he was not the nicest guy either, but to watch him play, wow that would be cool.

Volvo Intorqueo

Yeesh, seems a bit harsh for my taste.

People like to watch him because he's the best in the world at what he does, same reason they like watching LeBron or Kobe if they like basketball. To say, "The only thing he has going for him is that he gets the ball in the hole fast" applies to all tour pros that we watch, right? That kind of reductio ad absurdum could apply to golf in general, or any sport, or most activities.

There's no doubt that he could sign more autographs and be more fan friendly, but, to me, that falls under the heading of "Things I don't care about," just like his marriage. I don't watch sports for role models or to learn how to be a nicer person, I watch sports for athletic excellence, period.

Different strokes I guess, I have never put any person on a pedestal and thought of them as a hero or been a fan of anyone

Tiger gets no punches pulled from me, he made millions by selling an image, and that image was a front

Harsh is what he did to his followers and family, my opinion of the man doesnt matter, he knows deep down that he is a POS as a person.

Different strokes I guess, I have never put any person on a pedestal and thought of them as a hero or been a fan of anyone

Tiger gets no punches pulled from me, he made millions by selling an image, and that image was a front

Harsh is what he did to his followers and family, my opinion of the man doesnt matter, he knows deep down that he is a POS as a person.

So I guess your take is once a POS always a POS. So your faith in humanity must be at the lowest of low if there's no chance for redemption? I say wait and see if he changes his act. as far as never wanting to see him play golf again. I guess shots like the one he made on 16 in 2005 happen all the time by every other player. So he should just quit at 71 career wins with 14 Majors. heck golf is so much better without him! Come on get real!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• SPY VIP

That would be great. Wasn't there something a couple weeks ago about the deadline to register for the Master's passing though?

Volvo Intorqueo

So I guess your take is once a POS always a POS. So your faith in humanity must be at the lowest of low if there's no chance for redemption? I say wait and see if he changes his act. as far as never wanting to see him play golf again. I guess shots like the one he made on 16 in 2005 happen all the time by every other player. So he should just quit at 71 career wins with 14 Majors. heck golf is so much better without him! Come on get real!

Obviously your biased, by the avatar and screename so responding is probably silly of me

but, sure everyone deserves a second chance, but im more amazed at how society is so quick to forgive and forget, this is the reason we are in such a sad state of affairs, our moral compass is lost.

then again im just a conservative kinda guy that likes people to be responsible for there actions.

Obviously your biased, by the avatar and screename so responding is probably silly of me

but, sure everyone deserves a second chance, but im more amazed at how society is so quick to forgive and forget, this is the reason we are in such a sad state of affairs, our moral compass is lost.

then again im just a conservative kinda guy that likes people to be responsible for there actions.

I have to side with JLV on this one. I bought into the whole public image of Tiger and perhaps put him on a different level than the rest of the players because of his squeaky clean image, and even remarked to my wife one night that Tiger was never in the tabloids like pretty much every other "major" sports figure and I was really impressed. Sure he acts like a d-bag on the course and I pretty much wrote that off to him being shown ALL THE TIME and doesn't everyone curse or throw a club once in a while?

Now......knowing it was all a sham and yes, he is the greatest golfer on the planet, but I will never look at him in the same light nor will I ever root for him again. Fool me once, shame on you....Even in his "press conference that wasn't a press conference" he came across as an entitled smug self centered d-bag.

I forgive and forget when it's warranted and deserved and when the person whom committed the issue is actually serious about making amends. I believe he is not sorry about what he did, just about getting caught in his tangled web of deceit and lies.

That's my $.02 and I know many of yours differ but this is what makes a forum great.

• SPY VIP

I think the the camps will remain divided on this for a long time.

I was thinking that the whole situation is similar to what went on with Michael Jackson. Huge differences between professional output and personal life activities. For some, the alleged issues he had with children forever turned them off to him as a person and his music. No separation. Others forgave his transgressions and continued to enjoy his music. Many were somewhere in the middle. Once the opinion was formed, it seemed to stick. Jackson's alleged actions were more serious than Tiger's. Both very amoral acts, but to my knowledge the outside of the crazy accident night the police have not been involved.

Regardless, a big +1 to those of you who feel passionate about either side of this issue and yet have kept the discussion about the issue, not digressing into personal attacks or anything.

Volvo Intorqueo

I think the the camps will remain divided on this for a long time.

I was thinking that the whole situation is similar to what went on with Michael Jackson. Huge differences between professional output and personal life activities. For some, the alleged issues he had with children forever turned them off to him as a person and his music. No separation. Others forgave his transgressions and continued to enjoy his music. Many were somewhere in the middle. Once the opinion was formed, it seemed to stick. Jackson's alleged actions were more serious than Tiger's. Both very amoral acts, but to my knowledge the outside of the crazy accident night the police have not been involved.

Regardless, a big +1 to those of you who feel passionate about either side of this issue and yet have kept the discussion about the issue, not digressing into personal attacks or anything.

+1 Sactown. Your inclusion of MJ into this is a good way of looking at the separation between perceptions.

P.S....how did you know when it was bedtime at Michael Jackson's house? The big hand is on the little hand. :lol:

Sorry...just a little humor.

+1 for the civility of this discussion, despite the disagreement.

I think the point that Sactown made is a good one: some people can separate the personal from the public/performance, some people can't or don't want to. I'm just one of the former.

Actually, I'm just the oppposite. I LIKE to cheer for someone who IS fallible. I want someone who's "human" because we all make mistakes. All of us do... to some degree or another. Which is why I root for John Daly and guys like him. I don't root for prima dona's... which is what Tiger has been and probably still will continue to be. But man, it's FUN to watch him play some great golf.

For the record so I dont come across like an ass, I wish this never happened to Tiger, he was an amazing role model for kids and his foundation is awesome. So hopefully you guys dont think im a prick

Oh, I certainly do wish this would have never happened, but it has and heck, Tiger's not the first and he certainly won't be the LAST guy that gets busted for infidelity. That's for sure.

This foundation is awesome, but I don't personally know the guy, so I can't really comment on him being a role model or not. All I know, from personal experience, is that when I took my boys (7 & 9) to the President's Cup this year, and they cheered for Phil Mickelson, Phil acknowledged them and gave my youngest a smile and a thumbs up. He still remembers that. You WON'T get that from Tiger.

+1 for the civility of this discussion, despite the disagreement.

I think the point that Sactown made is a good one: some people can separate the personal from the public/performance, some people can't or don't want to. I'm just one of the former.

+2 as well!

And yes, I HOPE that he's back at Bay Hill!! C'mon Tiger!! Let's play!

Archived