TESTERS WANTED! ×

The "I don't give a cr@p about Tiger's marriage, I want to see him play GOLF!" thread

Golfware

Heck, if one of us did the same thing we wouldn't have to have a media circus following us, just an attorney.

If we made millions of dollars off the public from endorsements, tickets sold, pro sports, TV contracts, and the like, we'd have that same media circus. In other words, it comes with the territory. If you want all the spoils of that life, you gotta take the good with the bad -- same as you and I with our lifestyles. Our good? Not having the media circus crucify us for most of our mistakes. Our bad? Not being a gazillionare off the pubic at large. LOL

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

For the record so I dont come across like an ass, I wish this never happened to Tiger, he was an amazing role model for kids and his foundation is awesome. So hopefully you guys dont think im a prick

Having a strong opinion doesn't make you an ass. It just means you have a strong opinion. They way you expressed your opinion was rational and civil. That works for me...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

This JUST in. Looks like Tiger will be playing Bay Hill!! All signs point to Bay Hill!! Yahoo!!! Just makes sense. And he NEEDS to play in The Player's Championship too. Could you imagine that?? What if we won the Master's, the Player's Championship & the US Open. Heading into the British, what would people be talking about then??

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

This JUST in. Looks like Tiger will be playing Bay Hill!! All signs point to Bay Hill!! Yahoo!!! Just makes sense. And he NEEDS to play in The Player's Championship too. Could you imagine that?? What if we won the Master's, the Player's Championship & the US Open. Heading into the British, what would people be talking about then??

Anyone got a link to a news source for this, please?

If we made millions of dollars off the public from endorsements, tickets sold, pro sports, TV contracts, and the like, we'd have that same media circus. In other words, it comes with the territory. If you want all the spoils of that life, you gotta take the good with the bad -- same as you and I with our lifestyles. Our good? Not having the media circus crucify us for most of our mistakes. Our bad? Not being a gazillionare off the pubic at large. LOL

I completely agree with your take on that 100%. The magnifying glass is always on the high profile people in the world and deservedly so I guess. I guess it all boils down to which is the lesser of two evils...less money and less media attention or more money and a tighter rope to walk in the public eye.

• SPY VIP

I want to see his reaction to the heckling, more than I want to see him play. It would be awesome if he got paired with Phil at Augusta and Phil laps him

Initial crowds will be brutal, count on that. Plus scuffles in the crowd doesn't seem impossible as Yeah-Tiger and Boo-Tiger fans collide.

Get the popcorn, it's going to be fun to watch regardless.

Volvo Intorqueo

Initial crowds will be brutal, count on that. Plus scuffles in the crowd doesn't seem impossible as Yeah-Tiger and Boo-Tiger fans collide.

Get the popcorn, it's going to be fun to watch regardless.

I can't wait till Steve Williams runs into the wrong guy and get's a little of what he's been giving.

Actually. I believe that the longer he waits, the more civil the crowd will be. And depends on the tournament too. If he comes back at the Arnold Palmer Invitational, that's a LOT different than coming back at the Phoenix Open. At the Master's, there will be NO heckling. People will get booted... seriously. I've been there, and people are so kind to each other.. it's the way the world should treat each other.

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

• SPY VIP

Actually. I believe that the longer he waits, the more civil the crowd will be. And depends on the tournament too. If he comes back at the Arnold Palmer Invitational, that's a LOT different than coming back at the Phoenix Open. At the Master's, there will be NO heckling. People will get booted... seriously. I've been there, and people are so kind to each other.. it's the way the world should treat each other.

the 16th at Phoenix would have been a bloodbath in the stands. IS there any more speculation as to when he will be back?

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

It's all just getting very boring. I hope he wins a major so to put it to bed. (That sort of came out wrong.....)

NIce with that.

Me, I just want him to play.

Volvo Intorqueo

I really hope that Tiger plays at Bay Hill, but I don't really follow the article's logic. I understand that Stricker and Tiger are friends, but Tiger is friends with other guys on tour who have played other events. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Am I the only one who thought "Stricker is playing, cool."

Like his game too.

Yes. B)

Stricker does nothing for me. I respect the fact that he was great, got busted down, and is now back at the very top of the game, but I just can't get excited about him. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I worked with a guy from Wisconsin who looked and sounded like Stricker and was a huge Stricker fan, and we did not agree about a single thing, golf or otherwise, so I felt compelled to dislike Stricker because of him.

• SPY VIP

Yes. B)

Stricker does nothing for me. I respect the fact that he was great, got busted down, and is now back at the very top of the game, but I just can't get excited about him. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I worked with a guy from Wisconsin who looked and sounded like Stricker and was a huge Stricker fan, and we did not agree about a single thing, golf or otherwise, so I felt compelled to dislike Stricker because of him.

This seems completely justified to me. Sometimes it is just wrong. My mom never forgave Jasper for the hat. Don't think she ever watched him hit a ball. Always looking at his hat...

Volvo Intorqueo

So I'm gonna weigh in here...

I tune in to watch Tiger Woods to see what crazy thing he is going to do with a golf ball. See the 1996 US AM, 1997 Masters, 2000 entire season, ect.... I do not tune in to watch how he parents his children, or interacts with his wife. Those things are none of my business. I will never but a Nike produce because Tiger is a Nike guy, and I don't drink Gatoraid because he used to be a spokesman. He is a marvelous golfer, and really fun to watch. I just want to see him play. That's it. I would hate to be his kid, or wife, but count me in as a fan.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I tune in to watch Tiger Woods to see what crazy thing he is going to do with a golf ball. See the 1996 US AM, 1997 Masters, 2000 entire season, ect.... I do not tune in to watch how he parents his children, or interacts with his wife. Those things are none of my business. I will never but a Nike produce because Tiger is a Nike guy, and I don't drink Gatoraid because he used to be a spokesman. He is a marvelous golfer, and really fun to watch. I just want to see him play. That's it. I would hate to be his kid, or wife, but count me in as a fan.

Well said, my thoughts exactly.

Agreed 100%

• SPY VIP

I LOVE the hat. That's the kind of thing more guys need (and the tour needs): less blending in, more unique stuff. Look at Ryan Moore: instantly recognizable because of the way he dresses. Jesper: you see the hat, you know who it is.

Hat was good for me too. Not real sure what the issue was... Added some character to the tour.

Volvo Intorqueo

Well said, my thoughts exactly.

Putting the impact to the industry aside, I agree with you. We all just want to see the man play golf.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I've actually lost some interest in seeing him play.

I like when good things happen to good people, and all this Tiger mess has dampened my Tiger enthusiasm. I was kinda neutral on him before -- seeing both the good and bad in him, but this had kinda tipped the scales for me now.

If he comes out a new man, both on and off the course, that will change.

I like when good things happen to good people, and all this Tiger mess has dampened my Tiger enthusiasm. I was kinda neutral on him before -- seeing both the good and bad in him, but this had kinda tipped the scales for me now.

I think this is fair. My only objection would be: who can you say definitively is a good guy? We all thought Tiger was a good guy and we were wrong. With all the scandals (steroids, crimes, etc) in every sport, it's hard to put a lot of faith in an athlete. I still believe in what Sir Charles said, "I am not a role model. Athletes are not role models."

That's a good way to put it. He need to earn respect.

I think this is fair. My only objection would be: who can you say definitively is a good guy? We all thought Tiger was a good guy and we were wrong. With all the scandals (steroids, crimes, etc) in every sport, it's hard to put a lot of faith in an athlete. I still believe in what Sir Charles said, "I am not a role model. Athletes are not role models."

I never thought he was a particularly good guy.

There are guys out there that have the reputation for being good guys.....I'd say guys like Phil, Brad Faxon, Steve Stricker, Kenny Perry, Tom Lehman, and others.

And I don't care what anyone says -- professional athlete's are role models in certain aspects....and that's part of the reason they get paid so much money. Hey...if you want to make sponsor money by promoting products, then you've put yourself in a role model position. Can't say "buy this product because I say so"...then turn around and say "don't look to me" --- can't have it both ways.

I never thought he was a particularly good guy.

There are guys out there that have the reputation for being good guys.....I'd say guys like Phil, Brad Faxon, Steve Stricker, Kenny Perry, Tom Lehman, and others.

And I don't care what anyone says -- professional athlete's are role models in certain aspects....and that's part of the reason they get paid so much money. Hey...if you want to make sponsor money by promoting products, then you've put yourself in a role model position. Can't say "buy this product because I say so"...then turn around and say "don't look to me" --- can't have it both ways.

Professional athletes ARE role models to many people, but I guess my point is that they shouldn't be. On that same point, they are paid a lot because, you are right, people look up to them, I just don't think they should. In terms of the hypocrisy that you point to at the end, I don't know that I agree that it's hypocritical at all. If I endorse something it's because A) they're paying me (and no one turns down money) and B ) I think it's a good product (hopefully). I don't think that means that I sign away my right/privilege to have some privacy or conduct myself in the way that I choose. Now if my behavior negatively impacts my image, my sponsor can drop me, that's their right.

Archived