GolfSpy Barbajo

How Far You Hit Your 5-Iron Determines Which Tees You Should Play

I wouldnt mind playing 7200 yards everyone once in awhile, but I can't imagine that being my standard.

I really enjoy the 6600-6900 range depending on where the yardage is

• Like 8

I wouldnt mind playing 7200 yards everyone once in awhile, but I can't imagine that being my standard.
I really enjoy the 6600-6900 range depending on where the yardage is

Tell me about it. I was thinking the same thing. That’s a lonnngggg ways.
  • Like 4

It seems pretty accurate. But so much of how a course plays is where the yardage is and not the overall yardage. That being said it’s not always fun to play your max distance on a course. 

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Very few courses in my area stretch to 7200.  And if they do they do not play that long.  7200 playing wet is a different animal than 7200 when it is dry. 

I personally think that courses could be set up for the daily conditions.  When it is wet move the tees up a little.  when it is dry move them back.  And mix it up.  Tees in the same spot all the time gets boring.  It wouldn't take much thought in tee placement to help speed up play on the entire course or certain holes.  

Edited by jacustomgolf
  • Like 7

I fall just short of the 7200 distance. I think this is a good guideline, but you have to take into account conditions you are playing in. I play in the Pacific Northwest at 7200 in our conditions is a beast when compared to 7200 in Palm Springs or Florida. As well playing certain lengths for me on courses takes trouble out or puts it back into play for me. 

• Like 4

In my playing experience, 7000+ yards in certain conditions/topography isn't that bad. It's usually a mix of long par 3s, one to three long par 4s and one or two 3-shot par 5. Usually those 7k+ yard courses allow for some wildness off the tee and have large greens that are fairly receptive to long/mid iron approach shots with little trouble in front of the the greens. 

I hate the <6500 courses that take driver out of the bag, want you to hit 4i-8i into a postage stamp turtle green surrounded by bunkers. Essentially the old country club style from pre-WW2 that are land-locked and can't be extended out. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

In my playing experience, 7000+ yards in certain conditions/topography isn't that bad. It's usually a mix of long par 3s, one to three long par 4s and one or two 3-shot par 5. Usually those 7k+ yard courses allow for some wildness off the tee and have large greens that are fairly receptive to long/mid iron approach shots with little trouble in front of the the greens. 

I hate the <6500 courses that take driver out of the bag, want you to hit 4i-8i into a postage stamp turtle green surrounded by bunkers. Essentially the old country club style from pre-WW2 that are land-locked and can't be extended out. 

I personally love the older courses.  They can be a lot of fun and test your entire game.  

• Like 5

As far as my home course is concerned.... that's pretty accurate. My 5i averages around 180-185 yds. which would be 6480-6660. I usually play around 6500. Works for me.

• Like 4

What do I think? I think I should be on the LPGA Tour!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've seen this before on the interwebs and it is a fairly good method for recreational players to determine the proper tees, but I think avid players who know their game and how they score can easily mix it up to either ratchet up the challenge or make it more fun. I personally find that I lose most of my strokes in the short irons and wedges (it's gotten a lot better) so whether a course plays around 6000 or 7000 yards makes little difference - my scores are generally within the same ballpark. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I think I should be on the LPGA Tour!

I wish I was. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wish I was. LOL

Haha, I know right!

Seriously though my home course is 6500 yards and I hit my 5 iron around 165. I shot a 75 there last year which was the round of my life. 6200 yards is about my sweet spot for length.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 5

Based on the guys I golf with, and my own distance, I would say this is as accurate a chart for which tees to play as I have seen.  

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

My 6 iron is consistently 200+ (loft 26.5*). I should note Im in CO at altitude so it carries further. I have no business playing from the back tees though with my handicap.  

Edited by ZJBogey2
  • Like 7

I understand the concept, and it would fit for me, as I hit my 5 iron about 185, and that puts me in the 6500-ish yard category, which is about all I care to play honestly.

The only thought I would add is that this does not address slope at all, and some 5800 yd courses are much more difficult than some 6800 yard courses.  Personally, I prefer a matrix that uses slope over distance to determine the proper set of tees from which to play.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I agree with a lot of the comments on here already that this is a good loose guideline to within a few hundred yards in either direction. The one that kills me is when yardages are essentially artificially inflated through long par 3s. Theres a number of courses here in the Orlando area that will play low 6k's but all 4 par 3's are close to 200 yards. 

• Like 5

Looks like a good guideline to me. I sometimes play modern irons, sometimes 1950’s irons so my iron distances vary, but I always play persimmon woods so 6300-6400 yards is perfect for me.

And I love those 1940’s-1950’s era parkland courses. My clubs course was built from 1949-51 and is 6400 yards, narrow fairways and small greens with plenty of bunkers surrounding them. Love it.

Playing that style course with classic clubs is so much more enjoyable and challenging. Case in point, hole #2 at my club is a short par 4, 360 yards or so, but there is a creek cutting straight across the fairway 230 yards out. If I’m playing my modern driver I’m easily carrying the creek and have a wedge to the green. If I’m playing my persimmons it’s 50/50 that I carry to creek. The much safer play is 3-wood then 7-iron.

Much different game than bomb and gouge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jacustomgolf said:

I personally love the older courses.  They can be a lot of fun and test your entire game.  

Especially if they are a Donald Ross course

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Based strictly off numbers, I think this chart is fairly accurate. But when you account for different course layouts, that's where I kinda sway. There are lots of flat courses here in Hawaii and the ones I usually play are are 6700ish max. I don't have many issues aside from my usual inconsistencies, but I've played shorter course that have lots of elevation changes and those have been problematic at times. Overall though, I think this is a pretty effective way to look at who should play from different tee boxes. 

• Like 3