Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How Far You Hit Your 5-Iron Determines Which Tees You Should Play

GolfSpy Barbajo

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Especially if they are a Donald Ross course

Have a couple of them near me.  I play one pretty regularly that isn't in the greatest shape and is also a course we play as part of my companies golf league.  It is short,  but you do have to use a variety of clubs to navigate your way around.  Probably only a couple of holes that are really driver holes.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I like the idea of using iron distance to find the correct tee. At first I thought the numbers weren’t quite right but if you look at the title is says “Creating a Tour Experience.”

I have the Mobitee app that has a digital caddie. I can track my shots etc. but I can also move my aim and strategize round, see how far I have left after hitting a certain club off the tee. I just tried hitting a full 5 iron off the tees. I would have 3&4 irons into all but 2 par 4’s.

Now, having said that, I have no difficulty (in theory) of reaching the greens in regulation when I play the tees suggested in this chart. I say theoretically because that is provided I hit good shots. This week I need to play the pale green tees, (which my course doesn’t have) but the three previous weeks the blues were no problem.

This also doesn’t take into account the question of what is a 5 iron. Is it a 27° 38.5” club or a 24° 39” club?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

In general in the UK we have White, Yellow and Red. White is the measured and SSS (slope) for men, Red is measure SSS for women and yellow are general tees to save wear and tear off the white. Competition you are off White, yellow for bounce games. It only tends to be the resort courses that have anything beyond this.

When any of my pals start talking about golf outings and courses the 1st thing I look at is course length off Whites. And my push back is that "I get a nose bleed if I play courses above 6500", because I find the course too challenging and it takes away from my enjoyment. Looking at the chart I hit a 7 iron 180 yds x 36 = 6480 yds, so I totally agree. 

I play in national competitions which you get to play in a selection of 4 from 12 courses. Then the final is at a Championship course like Turnberry, Trump International or Castle Stuart. I make my choice based on course kudos and length. I'll try and avoid courses above 6500 yds. 

I played Tee Forward on holiday this year, without being told what it was all about. The tees were marked with 45, 50, 55, 60. This mapped to total distance the course played 45 = 4500m, 50 = 5000m, etc. Is this the way forward?

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I like it, I think it is pretty spot on. Definitely something I'm going to share with a few others I golf with. One of which really should stay from a tee a little further forward in order to really help his game. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Looks the goods to me. I like anything from 6100 to 6500, but, like @blackngold_blood, I tend to choose what tees to play based on the length of the par 3's.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

43 minutes ago, MattF said:

Looks the goods to me. I like anything from 6100 to 6500, but, like @blackngold_blood, I tend to choose what tees to play based on the length of the par 3's.

I've almost never actually looked at Par 3 length - I usually look for the tees around 6500. Occasionally we'll stretch it out to 6800 if we feel like taking a bit of a beating.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

At first blush I liked the chart as a guideline but the more I think about it the less I like it.  If people who apply for tests on this site are truthful about their driver swing speeds there are oodles and oodles of players who swing a 5 iron at 95 mph and yet have no business playing from 7,000 yards - none, zero, zip. 

Also his LPGA number is way, way off.  They hit their 5 irons well longer than 160 - closer to 180 and they have no trouble playing from 6,660 plus - In fact we've seen a number of LPGA players play in PGA events and while no one has made the cut - let enough of them play in enough events and some one eventually will - they have shot under par and Brittany shot in the 60's last season from over 7,000 yards. 

Off the soap box, I see this chart as a prescription for slow play - just play the tees that allow you to have fun - use your common sense - if a course has long par 3's - either blend the tees (play the longer set on all the holes except the par 3's) or if you are concerned about keeping a handicap move up a set -

We should all know by now that different course conditions make holes and courses play longer or shorter and adjust accordingly - I don't get why courses haven't adjusted for this but since they don't seem to we need to make those adjustments ourselves.  Generally that means playing a course from a shorter set of tees.  When you're breaking par all the time and the game gets boring?  That's when it's time to move back a set.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

For decades, golfers associate tee color with the intended player. I haven't seen too many courses, none that come to mind, where red tees are the championship tees. I don't recall seeing whites as the women's tee, it's usually one back from the women's (senior or middle tee). And blues/blacks are usually reserved for the championship tees. 

Could it be that there needs to be a revamp in the tee markers to not have such a psychological effect on golfers? I usually play the tips unless its a scramble and we're assigned the whites. However, if all the tees were labeled, I don't know, 1, 2, 3, 4 but were all painted the same color, I wonder if that would entice me to playing the #2 tees even though most courses would have it as the white tees. I may not be explaining this well but I'm curious to see if this would actually work. And maybe courses do this and I'm unaware of it. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I think that the chart is a guide to start you thinking about where you should play from. Using it as doctrine can lead to many problems.  Just because you can hit your 5 iron one time 200yds, doesn't mean automatically that you should be playing from back tees.  I think that golf sets us up to choose length as another challenge to overcome when we aren't really ready for that.  I prefer to stick to the 6500yd range as I have enough flaws in my game to overcome.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

As others have said, it's a starting point at best.  I've played 7k plus courses and the difference for me wasn't score.  It was how often I hit driver vs 3w or 3i off the tee as it usually placed the desired landing area in driver range.  Typical course lengths I play are 6500-6800, with a few shorter.  I'll usually shoot scores within a stroke or two either way, no matter if it's a 6200 or 7200 yard course.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

Seems like a good guideline if people are honest about how far they actually hit their irons.  I can think of a handful of my golfing buddies that would tell me they hit their 5 iron 205 because one time down wind off the cart path they got it out that far.  I play a handful of courses each year that are over 7,500 yards and starting to enjoy it less and less.  I prefer my home club at right around 6,900 at sea level.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

To me, a lot of golf is your second shot - whether it be on a par 5 (can I reach in 2, or can I get it close) a par 4 (assuming a 2 putt I need to be on in 2) or a par 3 (I don't want to have to chip and put pressure on myself to make a 1 putt)....

If you can have confidence in that second shot and execute it repeatedly and accurately then play whatever tees you want....but you've got to be honest with yourself.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I usually go for 6700-6900. I look at the Par 3s and of they’re all over 200 yards, I look at the next tee box down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

couldn't agree with you more @PMookie  !!

I don't mind the long 4's and 5's but those 200+ par 3's are a no-go for me....

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

At 67, I've found more enjoyment playing from one tee forward of the men's.  On our course, we have black, gold, blue, white, red tee boxes.  Blue works better for me and is where I play from in tournament play, but in my regular grouping (we typically have 4-5 foursomes), they make me play from the golds, having given the arbitrary age of 70 to move forward.  I can still play from the golds, but it's a lot of work!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I just reread what I wrote at 3 am and, unsurprisingly, I didn’t finish my thought.

“Creating the Tour Experience” to me means that these are the tees you play if you want the “Tour Experience” menacing you need to hit every shot, maybe nit perfect, but really well. They are focused on golf only.

If you want to have a fun round and chat with buddies, play shorter.

What I really like about it is that it reinforces the TRUE reason for having different tees. NOT based on age or sex but how far you normally hit certain clubs.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Then there's the old adage "I didn't pay full price to lay up!"  😄

or...I didn't come to pet kittens

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I usually go for 6700-6900. I look at the Par 3s and of they’re all over 200 yards, I look at the next tee box down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Works for me. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Also his LPGA number is way, way off.  They hit their 5 irons well longer than 160 - closer to 180 and they have no trouble playing from 6,660 plus. 

I agree with most of your post. Have to disagree with what I quoted. I think the longer LPGA players are closer to the 180 number , but the average is much shorter than that. Being a walking scorer in an LPGA event for the last 11 years allows me to see a lot of different players. On the measured holes most of the players are in the 220 range which would make a 180 yard 5 iron out if reach. So the number presented is more of an average across the LPGA field.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

With a 5 iron distance of 190 it says I should play from the Blacks at 6840 yds...  Sh!t I might be on the course all day at those distances.. I would say my sweet spot regarding distance is about 6300 give or take.. And that is at Sea level in the PNW where the courses stay wet later into the summer.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

The chart is accurate for the course I play now. That being said I feel like the course I'm playing is either too long or too difficult in general for me. I hit my clubs far, probably average for my age at right around ~30. I'm a 25 handicap playing a 6600 yd long course. It is torture and I could play from the whites, but I choose to play from the blues because I have the distance and I want to improve. 

All that being said. I shoot significantly lower scores on shorter courses. Prior to joining the club I'm at I played courses between 5800 and 6100 and I averaged a score in the mid 90's. On my current course my lowest score after 5 rounds is a 105. So I will happily disagree and say that distance has nothing to do with skill and what tees you should play, It might play a factor, but certainly shouldn't be the main deciding factor. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

19 hours ago, cnosil said:

Have a couple of them near me.  I play one pretty regularly that isn't in the greatest shape and is also a course we play as part of my companies golf league.  It is short,  but you do have to use a variety of clubs to navigate your way around.  Probably only a couple of holes that are really driver holes.  

Back in the day when I could really hit a golf ball I liked the short tight Ross courses. Back in those days I could not find a fairway with a driver if it was 200 yards wide but the 1 iron was my weapon. Loved it on those tight old Ross courses

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Seems like a pretty fair guideline. At 175 with the 5 iron and I usually remark that I'm comfortable enough on courses up to about 6300 but beyond that the longer par 4s and long par 3s it takes to lengthen the course take their toll on my scoring.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Maybe the starter gets you to hit your 5i off the 1st tee then you are instructed to play off a certain tee for the round.

He puts a coloured flag put in your bag so the Marshal can check up on you as you go round.

That way you won't get hackers playing off Blue when they should play off Red and rounds taking 5+ hours!

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

The one issue I see with this is how you get your ball to that distance. Carry vs Total distance.  

My 7 iron is 80-85mph ss and carries 170ish and rolls out to 185 because of low spin and being a picker. So my 5 iron while it might go 200 yards, it doesnt carry near that. More like carrying high 180s and rolling out 200-205. 

So for me, playing a course at 7200, if there is any sort of long carry par 3s then I am screwed. Or if its soft/ wet conditions and my ball doesnt roll out like it normally does, I'm very short on everything. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

I agree with most of your post. Have to disagree with what I quoted. I think the longer LPGA players are closer to the 180 number , but the average is much shorter than that. Being a walking scorer in an LPGA event for the last 11 years allows me to see a lot of different players. On the measured holes most of the players are in the 220 range which would make a 180 yard 5 iron out if reach. So the number presented is more of an average across the LPGA field.

I looked it up - average lpga 5 iron carry is 161. However that is going to net low 170’s. Average driver carry is 218 and the average total driving distance is 243. If the measured hole is one with little roll the 220’s make sense.

Back on topic I’m not a fan of the chart. I don’t think it works on any level. It would lead to more of what we already have - guys playing a set of tees that’s too long for their skill level.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches