Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How Far You Hit Your 5-Iron Determines Which Tees You Should Play

GolfSpy Barbajo

I've found that most guys over-claim their distances.  They seem to remember that ONE time that they hit it on the sweet spot and it went XXXX yds.  I worked retail golf for a number of years and I can't begin to tell you the number of people that drove the ball over 300 yards (but couldn't break 95).  😄 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I don't have a 5i

Neither do I, Kenny. I would assume using 5 hybrid in our case to figure out proper course yardage. Regardless the chart is a prescription for 5 hour rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

8 hours ago, CarlH said:

I can't begin to tell you the number of people that drove the ball over 300 yards (but couldn't break 95).  😄

Sounds like 98% of people on another site we all know!

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

21 hours ago, revkev said:

I looked it up - average lpga 5 iron carry is 161. However that is going to net low 170’s. Average driver carry is 218 and the average total driving distance is 243. If the measured hole is one with little roll the 220’s make sense.

Back on topic I’m not a fan of the chart. I don’t think it works on any level. It would lead to more of what we already have - guys playing a set of tees that’s too long for their skill level.

At the ANA a few minutes ago JY Ko just hit her 5i off the tee on a 190y par 3.  Landed mid-green and rolled past a back flag.  IK Kim hit hybrid and it was short of flag.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 4/2/2019 at 5:07 PM, Alf. S said:

Maybe the starter gets you to hit your 5i off the 1st tee then you are instructed to play off a certain tee for the round.

He puts a coloured flag put in your bag so the Marshal can check up on you as you go round.

That way you won't get hackers playing off Blue when they should play off Red and rounds taking 5+ hours!

They tried that at a course here one time. Actually had the starter and ranger asking for handicap cards. They asked us and my bud produced his which was a 1 at the time. His daughter ( now a Symetra Tour Player) had hers and I think it was about a 5. He looked at me and asked what about you? I produced 2 of my mini tour cards. He said well I guess you guys can play from the blues and we chuckled that course was only 6400 from the blues. That did not last long at that course which was not that great of a layout anyhow. A fun track but not a great layout. They lost a lot of business and 3 ownership changes later that course closed. Not really for that reason but that did help run off some of the tourist business. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

22 hours ago, BIG STU said:

They tried that at a course here one time. Actually had the starter and ranger asking for handicap cards. They asked us and my bud produced his which was a 1 at the time. His daughter ( now a Symetra Tour Player) had hers and I think it was about a 5. He looked at me and asked what about you? I produced 2 of my mini tour cards. He said well I guess you guys can play from the blues and we chuckled that course was only 6400 from the blues. That did not last long at that course which was not that great of a layout anyhow. A fun track but not a great layout. They lost a lot of business and 3 ownership changes later that course closed. Not really for that reason but that did help run off some of the tourist business. 

Whoa, I was being sarcastic. 

At the end of the day you are the paying customer and as long as you are not ruining it for other golfers play from whatever tee you want. 

In Scotland the only place I've been asked for handicaps before teeing off was Trump International and the Starter advised us what tee to play off. Started off White moved to Yellow after about 6 holes and even then it was tough!

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

19 hours ago, Alf. S said:

Whoa, I was being sarcastic. 

At the end of the day you are the paying customer and as long as you are not ruining it for other golfers play from whatever tee you want. 

In Scotland the only place I've been asked for handicaps before teeing off was Trump International and the Starter advised us what tee to play off. Started off White moved to Yellow after about 6 holes and even then it was tough!

Kinda like TPC down here. A lot of forced carries and when we were playing from the yellow (senior ) tees on a couple of par 4s we hit the driver good and still had 220 or so uphill into the green.

What happens down here though is most tourist golfers have a big ego and will play from the tips. Management will not say anything because they have the course packed. Their way of thinking now is the longer folks are out there the more alcohol they will consume. Trust me the tourists will come back even if they have a 6 hour round because they are on vacation and they are drunk. Golf is booming here but IMHO in the wrong direction with more and more obnoxious drunks. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I've been playing golds at my course (easier walk).  My 5i stays in my bag.  I hit my 6i 150-160 🙂

my 5i is typically a mishit, i only pull it when i can afford to get away with missing.  

when I'm that far out I'll go hybrid if the lie and position is right; or, I'll split the shot.  2 wedges gets me closer to the pin way more often than a bad long iron and whatever next shot I hve to make.  🙂

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

On 4/2/2019 at 7:34 AM, MattF said:

Looks the goods to me. I like anything from 6100 to 6500, but, like @blackngold_blood, I tend to choose what tees to play based on the length of the par 3's.

I'll do similar, although especially in recreational rounds I will move up or back a tee box depending on a hole. I know you're not "supposed to" but to get a certain shot that's more fun, or to try a new angle. 

A few courses around us have a nice option for mixed tees (white/blue, blue/gold) that are great for avoiding any crazy long par 3s.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

we have a white/gold that has its own slope and rating on the scorecard, for this very purpose. 

Some of the gold tees mean you don't have to walk up a huge hill, or carry over water 240 :).  I'll probably play that more than anything. 

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

I'll do similar, although especially in recreational rounds I will move up or back a tee box depending on a hole. I know you're not "supposed to" but to get a certain shot that's more fun, or to try a new angle. 
A few courses around us have a nice option for mixed tees (white/blue, blue/gold) that are great for avoiding any crazy long par 3s.

I have been known to change tees on some holes during a round. Especially if I am playing a 9-hole course. I will try to play the 2 par 3’s at different yardages each time as well as a couple par 4’s. I will also try to have a par 5 that is easily reachable (for the pro experience lol) and one that is for sure a 3 shot hole. Of course these rounds don’t happen too often as I have been trying to put in as many rounds towards my handicap as I can.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Very interesting concept here, I’m betting a lot of people tee it up way to far back.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.