Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Lamkin line-up? Lemme hear it.

chemclub

I was a Lampkin Crossline devotee back in the early aughts. The price to quality ratio was fantastic. Recently switched to the GP aligns and for some reason they really don't feel right so I want to go back to a round grip. Potentially back to some kind of Lampkin but...

There was some controversy a while back that Lamkin changed the crossline so it didn't feel the same. Does anyone know anything about this?

Can anyone recommend a Lamkin they like?

I wanted to get assorted colors in the R.E.L. ACE but it looks like they cut back on the colors available.

Justin Rose plays the Sonars I think and he and I pretty much have the same game.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I absolutely love the Lamkin UTX it has a little cord but is still soft and tacky.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

The new version of the classic Crosslines are still my favorite grip. The logo has changed, and I think the white paint fill has changed as it seems to age to a different patina, but overall, they're still my grip of choice. I don't notice a difference in feel, certainly not the point where I notice it at all on course. The only way I can tell is when I look at the grip.

They also last a long time without getting too slick. I always thought this was one of the biggest advantages of the Crossline over the Tour Velvet.

Posted this yesterday with my WITB. The new Lamkin Sonar feels so nice when it’s been installed. I thought it’d be too spongy when I first tried it but I am a convert. If you’re a golfer who doesn’t wear a glove you’ll love them.

Image1554420196.431085.jpg

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

It's tough to beat the Lamkin UTx.  It's a great grip.

I've tried the Sonar.  It's nice, but not as good in humidity / heat.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
:odyssey-small: Tour Lined 2-Ball Ten Stroke Lab putter

Alternates: Titleist 716 AP1 irons, Titleist TSi2 driver

I have Lamkin Z5s midsize on my irons and love them but only been hitting inside.  Had the Utx on my woods and really liked them only switched them to get into a mid size on my woods as well (MCC +4).

I wish I could get the Z5 genesis that comes on the new callaways.

It's tough to beat the Lamkin UTx.  It's a great grip.
I've tried the Sonar.  It's nice, but not as good in humidity / heat.

I’m hoping it holds up well in the heat. My last batch of tour wraps wouldn’t cut it and I had to wear a glove. Even after a warm soap and water bath.

I’ll do some follow up.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I was in the golf shop this week and one of the guys was regripping a set with these Sonar grips. I took a quick look and picked up one of the clubs he'd just finished. I liked the feel. To me they felt very much like the GP CP2 wrap I play. I'd certainly consider them next time.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm a Lamkin guy. I have the new version of the Crosslines on my z725s, the UTX Wrap on some Mizuno JPX 900s and I'm about to put the UTX Chords on my new z765s. All are midsize. I cant quite pin down which grips I like more. I dont wear a glove when I play so any of the cord style I tend to gravitate towards. 

:titelist-small: 917D 9.5 (Project X Evenflow Blue) 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 13.5 (Project X Hzrdus Black)

:titelist-small: 816 H2 21 (Diamana D+ 90)

:titelist-small: TMB 2 Iron 17 (Project X LXi)

:srixon-small: z765 5-PW (True Temper DG S300)

:mizuno-small: T7 50, 54, 58 (True Temper DG Wedge Flex)

:ping-small: Sigma Anser

:Snell:MTB-X

... I am a lambskin fan and used REL's for many years. I am looking forward to trying the Sonar Tour grips. I don't wear a glove and currently play UTx but I have to wipe them every time I use them to keep them at maximum tackiness. I hold my grips pretty loosely when I swing and my right hand comes off at impact so I need all the tack I can get. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Another vote here for the UTx. I don't live in a humid area, so I can't speak to tackiness when things get really wet, but it's one of the most comfortable grips I've played.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I might give the Z5's a try

... I am a lambskin fan and used REL's for many years. I am looking forward to trying the Sonar Tour grips. I don't wear a glove and currently play UTx but I have to wipe them every time I use them to keep them at maximum tackiness. I hold my grips pretty loosely when I swing and my right hand comes off at impact so I need all the tack I can get. 

I’m also a no glove player. I played a moderately humid round yesterday with the Sonars and was very pleased. This is my first season with them since playing Tour Wrap 2g’s for 9 years. They kept dry and tacky without any issue at all. They’re worth a look.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

23 minutes ago, chemclub said:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I might give the Z5's a try

... Like all golf equipment, grips can be very personal. Fwiw, I found the Z5's were not very tacky and I made the mistake of buying a set that was on sale before trying them. I would suggest you try just one before purchasing more. Really good grip no doubt but just not enough tack for me. 

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Like all golf equipment, grips can be very personal. Fwiw, I found the Z5's were not very tacky and I made the mistake of buying a set that was on sale before trying them. I would suggest you try just one before purchasing more. Really good grip no doubt but just not enough tack for me. 

How much would you say firmness plays into your rating of tackiness?  I am trying to rate the ZGRIP vs the UTx in the Golf Pride review.  I would say the ZGRIP is "grippier" but I think the firmness (with the ZGRIP being near the extreme side of firm) doesn't play in its favor when I rate tackiness.  The UTx is just soft enough that I don't have to hold on for dear life to take advantage of the texture of the grip.  I suppose these are all related with one another (like feel and sound of a golf ball).

I had one Z5 plus (tour taper) that I was going to use in the comparison as well but it fell out of my bag at some point.  Hopefully someone is enjoying that somewhere.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

29 minutes ago, romeopapazulu said:

How much would you say firmness plays into your rating of tackiness?  I am trying to rate the ZGRIP vs the UTx in the Golf Pride review.  I would say the ZGRIP is "grippier" but I think the firmness (with the ZGRIP being near the extreme side of firm) doesn't play in its favor when I rate tackiness.  The UTx is just soft enough that I don't have to hold on for dear life to take advantage of the texture of the grip.  I suppose these are all related with one another (like feel and sound of a golf ball).

I had one Z5 plus (tour taper) that I was going to use in the comparison as well but it fell out of my bag at some point.  Hopefully someone is enjoying that somewhere.

... Firmness is mostly irrelevant as far as tacky goes in my evaluation of grips. I don't like a soft grips so never able to play Winn grips.  UTx is as soft as I will go and would prefer a little firmer. I thought first generation of UTx was too soft. As I said earlier, no glove and a loose grip so I need my grips to feel like someone spilled honey on them. 

1 hour ago, chisag said:

Firmness is mostly irrelevant as far as tacky goes in my evaluation of grips. I don't like a soft grips so never able to play Winn grips.

Perhaps I’m speaking more to force of friction (FOF) than “tackiness”, but my personal experience has been that softer grips provide less. It initially seemed counterintuitive, but upon further reflection the physics made more sense.

With a firmer material the force applied through your hands is more efficiently transferred as FOF. Applying the same grip pressure to a softer material means that potential FOF will be lost in the material compression. In a static position, the feeling of your fingers “sinking” into the grip gives the false impression of a more assured grasp, but it’s not the reality at impact.

The aforementioned may not be a huge problem under ideal conditions but when situational circumstances (ie - humidity, precipitation, perspiration) begin to decrease friction, you may (by comparison) find yourself squeezing the life out of a softer grip to maintain the same control. Material soft enough to compress with your hands also presents a minor torsional deformity (twisting) variable within the physics of an impact formula.

I’d be very surprised if more than a handful of pros employed “soft” grips last week at Bethpage.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

So my selection of which grip model to go with changes by the tides. 

I am seriously considering just going with the old faithful crosslines. Assuming those things haven't changed since the early '00s I think I would be happy with them. I went to a golf shot and played around with some lamkins, just swinging, no hits. I liked the UTx and Sonar. Sonar has a nice grip texture to it.

On a related question, my current grips are standard with 3 wraps. That is pretty close to mid size. Should I just go with a midsize and no wraps?

So my selection of which grip model to go with changes by the tides. 
I am seriously considering just going with the old faithful crosslines. Assuming those things haven't changed since the early '00s I think I would be happy with them. I went to a golf shot and played around with some lamkins, just swinging, no hits. I liked the UTx and Sonar. Sonar has a nice grip texture to it.
On a related question, my current grips are standard with 3 wraps. That is pretty close to mid size. Should I just go with a midsize and no wraps?

I used Tour Wrap 2g midsize grips until this year when I switched to the Sonars. The Sonar was a standard size and I used 3 layers total beneath the grip.

The standard +3 IMO expanded the grip and stretches it out a little. It increased the surface area and overall, it feels really nice.

• Srixon Z-Star XV