Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 Driver

Follow our five  testers of the G410 line as they put the first adjustable driver from PING through the paces.

PING G410 Sole.jpg

@jlukes                Stage 1                        Stage 2

@tony@CIC          Stage 1                        Stage 2

@fixyurdivot         Stage 1                        Stage 2                

@PING Apologist #9     Stage 1               Stage 2

@GolfSpy STUDque     Combined Stage

• Like 7

Looking forward to seeing how much better the G410 is than some one their current equipment. Its great club and in some instances, the guys could benefit from the tech but most importantly getting the right fit with the shaft will make a world of a difference.

• Like 3

Nice start boys 👏 I have the G400 LST in the bag and it's a beauty so I will be watching with interest to see how you all go....😁😎

• Like 3

Great start all! Looking forward to stage 2 and seeing how they all play out for you.

• Like 3

Great start boys! I’ll be clicking the subscribe button for this one. Send it!

• Like 4

Great stuff so far.  @jlukes  I am surprised that the Ping G410 unseated the fitted TS2 so quickly.  I have always been under the expectation that the differences between 2 well fitted drivers would be fairly small.  I know you don't want to give away too much right now but I am curious if you saw more distance, better dispersion, or both?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, blackngold_blood said:

Great stuff so far.  @jlukes  I am surprised that the Ping G410 unseated the fitted TS2 so quickly.  I have always been under the expectation that the differences between 2 well fitted drivers would be fairly small.  I know you don't want to give away too much right now but I am curious if you saw more distance, better dispersion, or both?

Mitigation of the big miss was the big factor. Flat lie angle + weight in toe on the G410 is proving to be very beneficial. 

• Like 9

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:10 PM, PING Apologist #9 said:

Stage 1 placeholder

Hey Spies!!!! My stage-I is up. I hope you have a chance to check it out!!!

Digest it if willing and fire away with any questions or comments. I really didn't elaborate on my "initial impressions" so much, so reply here and I will be more than glad to answer your questions about anything about my experiences so far with this baby. Remember, I am here to help you and I want you all to have a great reading experience about it, so if there is anything I can help with, go ahead and respond here...Standing by.😎

• Like 8

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:59 PM, jlukes said:

Ping G410 Plus Driver - Stage 1 Review - jlukes

IMG_4037.thumb.jpg.59c721a7c2f206fd5c90a71a843a90bb.jpg

Well it has been almost 2 whole years since I participated in official MGS forum testing and I have to admit, it feels great to be back in the fold!  I have previously tested the Sun Mountain 3.5LS Stand Bag (which I still use), Evnroll ER2 putter (which I am taking to my grave with me), and Mizuno JPX 900 Tour irons (the only reason I am not still gaming these is that through fitness and lessons I increased my swing speed to the point where I needed to change shafts).  What you should notice is that I do not apply to test everything and anything, and when I do apply to test something, it is a product that I am sincerely interested in doing a thorough long-term review for.

I am going to use some of the background from previous forum reviews because a lot of that information hasn’t changed! My name is Joe and I am from Central NJ.  I have been playing golf for about 23 years (since I was 12) and I am about a 4.1 handicap at the moment.  I started hitting balls when I was much younger - my grandfather cut down an old 9 iron and 5 wood and gave them to me so I could hit balls in my backyard.  I remember my first 9 holes being when I was about 11 years old - I shot 63 with my dad.  I started playing in County tournaments when I was about 13 years old and played varsity golf in High School.  My first job when I was at the local driving range/mini golf, and all through High School I worked at golf course taking care of the carts, running bags, and eventually became the starter.  I have always enjoyed being around the game of golf in any capacity and I have found that it is truly a game for life.  My son is just over 2 and he is already addicted to the game.  I hope that he continues to see what a fun game this is and it becomes something we can bond over for years to come.

IMG_20181030_142227.jpg.54799379c206d6f2f5c1eb33911e0fc6.jpg

When it comes to my golf game, I would say I have quite a few strengths.  I am a long hitter (Carry my driver > 270 yards), I have an okay wedge game, and I am a good putter.  Time is my enemy when it comes to golf; not being able to practice and play as much as I’d like (more than once a week or so) prevents me from being consistent.  I have rounds where I am pounding it off the tee, but I can’t hit a GIR, and then I have rounds where I am a little wonky off the tee, but my short game saves me.  Everything finally came together for me in November 2016 when I shot a personal best of -1 71, beating my previous best of +2 74.  I am the type of golfer that can be extremely competitive, but I also love fun, no-pressure rounds with my buddies.  A lot of the guys I golf with are not as good as me, but I do not care in the least.  I enjoy playing with all skill levels and I have no problem giving advice and helping someone with their game if asked (and only if asked).  I enjoy walking the course as much as possible and nothing frustrates me more than long rounds.  I see no reason why an average round should take over 4 hours, no matter what the golfers’ skill levels are.  

If you want to know a bit more about my swing, I have a swing overhaul thread I have been chronicling here:  

It has been an interesting spring as I work to keep the momentum up from my winter lesson programs and I will update that thread with updates on my swing changes as the season goes on.  But for the sake of this review, you should know that my driver swing speed is around 113-116 MPH and I play a bit of a draw.  I have an upwards angle of attack and my miss is primarily a hook.  Here is a video of my driver swing from the end of February 

For me, driver is my weapon.  I play aggressive off the tee because if there is anything that modern analytics and “strokes gained” has taught us, it is that distance is king and that taking advantage of my ability to hit it long is key to me scoring low.  I pull driver every opportunity I have.  I am no more accurate with my fairway wood or hybrid, so there is no reason for me to sacrifice distance by laying up off the tee unless a hole absolutely calls for a lay up.  I try to get on or close to all Par 5s in two, and I try to get myself as close as possible on all Par 4s so that I can be hitting a wedge into the green if the yardage dictates.

I wasn’t always a great driver of the ball.  I used to have quite a negative attack angle which resulted in low launch and high spin.  No amount of head and shaft changes (much to my dismay) could correct a bad attack angle, so in 2014 I went through a swing change and learned to hit up on my driver.  Once I got a positive angle of attack locked in, I noticed I gained 15+ yards of carry on my drives!  

I have been through quite a few drivers since high school - some were great, others were mistakes (due to lack of knowledge about fitting and purchasing on a whim)

TaylorMade 320
TaylorMade r5
TaylorMade r11
TaylorMade RBZ Tour
Cobra Amp Cell
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha (fitted)
Cobra Bio Cell+
Srixon 545
TaylorMade M1 (fitted) 
TaylorMade M2 (2017) (fitted)
Cobra F8+ (fitted)
Titleist TS2 (fitted)

When the Ping 410 Plus testing was unveiled, I knew it was a testing that I wanted to put my name in the hat for.  Ping received such outstanding reviews on their G400 line and I knew that that the G410 had to be something special in order to follow the G400.  With that being said, I have never gamed a Ping club before.  I do have a few old Ping putters, but I never really even given an extensive look to Ping Metalwoods and Irons.  Thankfully, I was selected for this great testing opportunity and I get to see what Ping is all about!

There are a number of selling points/claims that I will be keeping an eye on throughout testing:

Turbulators - do they really increase swing speed?

IMG_4022.thumb.jpg.63ffa137be4accf1bcf57cf1f3932182.jpg

Adjustability - Well the G410 Plus is the most adjustable driver Ping has ever made.  Does the weight track (3 fixed positions) actually work?

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190323155558443_COVER.jpg.e888294404f25e90e38934820f98ff44.jpg

Hosel Adjustment -  The G410 Plus features a brand new adjustable hosel from Ping, one that now includes “flat” settings.  Do they make a difference?

IMG_4039.thumb.jpg.acd78628c88f832b8ff82f51a46c5a63.jpg

I will put these three elements, as well as the general performance of the G410 Plus to the test over the coming months with the hope of providing the best information for the MGS forum.

At the time of being selected for this review, I was gaming a Titleist TS2 driver that I was fit for at Club Champion.  I truly believe that fitting is necessary to maximize what a golf club can do for a player.  I chose the TS2 during my fitting because it provided me with the best combination of distance and accuracy.  The Cobra F9 and Epic Flash SZ were longer, but I had trouble with both distance and lateral dispersions.  

When I was selected for G410+ testing, I immediately went to my local range, who happens to be a Top 100 Ping fitter, and got a basic fitting for the G410+.  Unlike other OEMs, Ping does not offer a wide selection of no-upcharge shaft options.  The only two shaft options that were really even under consideration for me were the Evenflow Black and the Ping Tour.  However, I know from past fittings that I do not get along with the Evenflow series, so it came down to the Ping Tour.  We set up the G410+ in a 9-degree head a Ping Tour 65X shaft and it was clear right away that it was the combination I would submit to Ping for testing. I asked Ping that it play 45" at a D3 swing weight.  After I received my club I tested the swing weight and length at a shop and wasn't surprised to see Ping delivered on the nose.  

IMG_20190403_181103.jpg.50431cdfb60578f12e9070fb15ca6e43.jpg 

During the testing period I will be testing the G410 on the range, on the course, and on launch monitors.  While I will be touching on how the club fits me, I will try to remain focused on validating the performance claims from Ping to see if the G410 stacks up with the rest of the drivers on the market.  I want my review to be as interactive as possible, so please ask me as many questions on this testing thread and I will attempt to address them all.  You won’t have to wait for my Stage 2 to head how things are going.  All testers will be actively participating in the thread to provide updates as we go - so we can continue the conversation from day to day.

IMG_4012.thumb.jpg.ee6631de0d7a2eeacc90b2a57d4de9d8.jpg

So I mentioned that the TS2 was my gamer going into this testing, but if you are a regular on the forum, you would have noticed that as of this Stage 1 (April 3rd), I have sold my TS2.  Without divulging too much right now, my 3 range sessions and 2 rounds were enough for me to know that the G410 Plus was going to be better for me going forward.  Furthermore, I believe a good testing write-up should be about the individual club in the test and not about a club going head to head with another club.

So does the Ping G410 Plus carry the torch that was lit by the G400 series?  Early results are positive and I look forward to sharing the rest of my thoughts with the MGS community as the testing progresses.

I've watched yer damn swing vid a dozen times and I'm here to tell you that I H8U...!😜 I need just a bit of that mojo..! Nice work on this so far Bud! Can't wait to hear more!

• Like 5

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:02 PM, tony@CIC said:

Stage 1 

First and foremost, thank you MGS Mods for selecting me to be an official tester for the G410 SFT.

My name is Tony, I just turned 72 and even though I started playing after I retired, I am obsessed with this game. Prior to retirement I always thought golf was a silly game – after all, how hard could it be to get that LITTLE white ball into that BIG hole. Numerous times on the way home we would pass several fairways at our Club’s golf course and on those cold, or rainy days we would invariably see someone out there playing. My son and I would laugh and talk about those crazy guys out there – what could they be doing or thinking, playing golf in the cold or rain! And then it happened for some unknown reason my wife and I decided to start playing golf. It took one game for me to catch the bug and become obsessed with the game!

We’re fortunate to live adjacent to a combined Marina and Golf Club with an Arthur Hills 18-hole Links course in northwest Ohio. It is a picturesque course adjacent to Lake Erie, with strong headwinds and it is also a qualifying course for the U.S.Open.   

292995241_hole5.jpg.478eb594118a906c9bd9e4b2cd7857e7.jpg

These past few years have been a long journey. After being fit for G20’s, I took lessons from the head pro which was interesting to say the least, as he was telling me to do several things at once. It reminded me of that Einstein story of taking up golf where he threw 5 balls back at the instructor and said catch, the instructor responded I can’t do that – yes exactly!  With those lessons in the back of my mind I went off to the driving range. The irons weren’t too bad, but my drives had a beautiful slice that from an aerial view would have made a fishing hook proud.

Enter instructor 2 at a Muni. We worked on a lot of things, but he always focused on Position, Grip and Alignment.  Several lessons later: the driver had become more of a fade with a too frequent slice, the irons were ok, and the chipping was a big improvement (due to lots of practice in the backyard).  At this point my index is still in the 30’s because when the driver is working, the irons aren’t and vice versa. Exit this instructor as he decided to move to South Carolina.

I found a new instructor, who immediately recognized a couple of issues and I started working on the improvements, including spine angle and a stronger grip.  Now it’s a consistent draw. Not so bad since most of our penalty areas (aka water hazards) are on the left (remember I’m a lefty).  In the meantime, my driver evolved into a GBB with an Aldilla SR flex shaft. With lots of work at the range, reading and playing as much as possible, my index dropped last summer to a 22 and I did break 90. Oh, and as a side note I was an Official Tester for W/S C300’s – thank you Mods!

This past Fall, we got to play at our course until late November – my index did bump up slightly but only because there’s something about shivering in cold weather that’s not conducive to golf.

Overall game evaluation 1-10 with 10 being best/most consistent

Driver = 5

Irons = 7

Wedges = 9

Putter = 6

This past Winter I spent my time reading even more and watching instructional videos and when weather allowed, a few trips to a heated driving range. Since I was working on my swing, I intentionally slowed it down to around 76-80 mph (using my SC200) to focus on accuracy. With the slower SS I was getting a much narrower dispersion.  I didn’t pay much attention to distance since it was cold, generally windy and the range was using their “winter” balls. Next step will be working on SS. 

Then the MGS Official Testing for the G410 SFT happened and I was lucky enough to be selected. My reason for applying was threefold: #1 gain more consistency resulting in a narrower dispersion, #2 distance, and #3 sound. Note: with my G20 I could tell by the sound when I had a mishit.  On our course, the first two priorities take the penalty areas out of play for me, along with the potential for higher % GIR’s.

First impression:

With the GBB and SR flex shaft as background, and a prior fitting with the Ping G and SR shaft (which I didn't buy), I ordered the driver with 10.5* loft and the Alta CB 55 shaft in SR flex which is about 10 grams lighter than the Aldilla. The G410 also came with Tour Velvet grips. I’m a big fan of MCC+4 and with my XL glove size, I decided to order it with the orange option which is their jumbo grip.  

Ping_stage1pic1.thumb.jpg.ed68b54382532731785a40bf9fa87f98.jpg

The driver arrived very quickly, especially given the “less than common” configuration of a lefty head and a SR shaft. The grip initially felt too large – but I did have a pair of FJ rain gloves on when I tried it. Putting one normal golf glove it felt fine. However, at some point I'll replace with the MCC+4. The head is what I expected with a satin finish on top. What was a nice surprise is how good the bottom looks with the red “streaks”.  I never noticed that in the stores.  It looks so good in the bag – I hate to put the cover over the driver.

ping_stage1.thumb.jpg.46f1cd58b63f9cb9298f3d6904745b78.jpg

The head cover, however,  is good looking and a nice improvement over previous Ping covers.

IMG_5852.thumb.JPG.1e1d7a32112325cb9893f11ae114efd1.JPG

The one thing that was a slight surprise, but only because I didn’t pay attention to the online description is that the weight on the SFT is fixed. In the scheme of things that’s not a big issue for me. However, if you want a sliding weight, you’ll have to move to the G410 Plus.  

IMG_5876.JPG.14fe9f0605c8184733396b3a69dd3eb1.JPG

The connector is easily adjustable, and the instructions are clear and concise. If you happen to lose the instructions – no worries the connector is clearly marked and has eight settings. Of course, the club did come with a wrench, however, I doubt I’ll be adjusting it once it gets set at the Fitter’s.

ping_stage1pic6.jpg.a7cd7b64f72937df0034ce8153d4ef72.jpgping_stage1pic4.thumb.jpg.a71b4229832f328bf073adfbc5c8c659.jpg

Next steps;

Get to a fitter to set the correct loft adjustment. My guess is that it’ll be either set at neutral or .06*  configuration. While I’m at the Fitter, I’m bringing my GBB as well to do a “head to head” comparison. It’ll be my Ping vs. Callaway challenge so stay turned for that.

Additionally, with 2 lesson certificates that my wife gave me for Christmas – I’m going to use one to further improve my drives. My expectations are that the 410 SFT gets me 7-10 additional yds.  plus, a much narrower dispersion and looking for that 5 to move to at least a 7 or 8. .

Let the battle of my drivers begin!

Oh man tony, that opening pic is just absolutely breath-taking..! What a great write-up too! I'm very excited to hear what you have for us on stage-II! Cheers Pal!

• Like 2