TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 Driver

Well guys thanks to all your rave reviews of the Ping driver I decided to pick up a G410+ head.  I was able to sell the mizuno st190G for a wash financially so that was a plus!  Now I just have to decide if I want to put an adapter on the Diamana RF I just acquired or go full Woodland and pick up an Accra shaft.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

33 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

Well guys thanks to all your rave reviews of the Ping driver I decided to pick up a G410+ head.  I was able to sell the mizuno st190G for a wash financially so that was a plus!  Now I just have to decide if I want to put an adapter on the Diamana RF I just acquired or go full Woodland and pick up an Accra shaft.

You know how I feel! 

9 minutes ago, jlukes said:

You know how I feel! 

My first experience with an accra shaft was an eye opener.  It was 10g heavier and a flex stiffer than I normally play but it was still so smooth.  How is the TZ5 performing?

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

46 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

My first experience with an accra shaft was an eye opener.  It was 10g heavier and a flex stiffer than I normally play but it was still so smooth.  How is the TZ5 performing?

So good that the world class fitter at True Spec said its not worth me even trying anything else because we won't be able to find a better fit. 

8 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

A few years ago I had a driver shaft 'fitting' with an ex tour fitter who had a zillion shafts.

Eventually he tried accra shafts and they were a great fit, everything improved in the driver, but for the price he wanted I could have got a full set of new clubs. Doesn't Luke Donald play (or used to game) Accra shafts?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

On 6/8/2019 at 7:31 PM, revkev said:

Question for the testers - I see some mention of changing lofts in your reviews can you guy guys comment on extremes in adjustments?

I may just go back to where I bought the thing, lay out a few bucks and dial it in.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

As I mentioned in my stage 2, the LM data comparing the G410 to the Razr-Fit showed some numbers the fitter did not like.  We made the changes noted and saw instant, positive results (ball strike zone, launch angle, spin rate and distance). Even more important has been the on the course performance. As Rob suggested, going to a fitter would be best if you can.  I say that because my first fitting (used to order the club) did not have as sophisticated a LM and, while the initial loft/lie settings weren't terrible, better is... well, better!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

As I mentioned in my stage 2, the LM data comparing the G410 to the Razr-Fit showed some numbers the fitter did not like.  We made the changes noted and saw instant, positive results (ball strike zone, launch angle, spin rate and distance). Even more important has been the on the course performance. As Rob suggested, going to a fitter would be best if you can.  I say that because my first fitting (used to order the club) did not have as sophisticated a LM and, while the initial loft/lie settings weren't terrible, better is... well, better!

Thanks - mine was more a curiosity question - my fitter had a recommended setting for me that I’ve followed. I’ve got a 12 degree head set down to 11 neutral. Interestingly my 400 LST was a 10 set up to 11. But the differences between the slightly closed verses slightly open face along with the lighter shaft are incredible. I was 6/6 with the driver in league last night - I loose less than 10 yards on miss hits, can fade or draw the club on demand. Too bad I had to hit the other 13 clubs. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

my fitter had a recommended setting for me that I’ve followed. I’ve got a 12 degree head set down to 11 neutral. Interestingly my 400 LST was a 10 set up to 11. But the differences between the slightly closed verses slightly open face along with the lighter shaft are incredible.

This is a great point that many people don’t think about. The same loft on a club turned down to that loft versus turned up to that loft versus defaulted to that loft can have a big influence on shot shape and launch conditions.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is a great point that many people don’t think about. The same loft on a club turned down to that loft versus turned up to that loft versus defaulted to that loft can have a big influence on shot shape and launch conditions.

That’s exactly what has me wanting to upgrade! I have a g30 10.5 and hit best in the + position which closes the face, but now I’m getting a bit too much launch/spin. I want to get something in 9 degree so I can do the same and take my
Flight down a touch. Now I just need to decide on which head to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Gary Woodland had this and the 3 wood in his bag with the Accra shaft when he won the US Open.... and he's not paid to play them.  Just sayin'

Driver: Ping G410 Plus (9 degrees set at 7)
Shaft: Accra RPG 472 M5+ (44.75 inches, tipped 2 inches)

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

7 minutes ago, Shankster said:

You’ve all inspired me to go hit these. Found a nearby fitter... don’t tell my wife 🤫

Check out the LST too.... heard some good things about that one so far.

https://ping.com/clubs/drivers/g410-lst

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

16 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Well, the place is being sold. Didn’t have anything. Guess I won’t be sleeping on the couch after all.

House warming gift ??  😉

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

That’s exactly what has me wanting to upgrade! I have a g30 10.5 and hit best in the + position which closes the face, but now I’m getting a bit too much launch/spin. I want to get something in 9 degree so I can do the same and take my
Flight down a touch. Now I just need to decide on which head to get.

I’m confused - if the 10.5 is on + you’ve added loft and closed the face - wouldn’t you need to do what I’ve done and go to 12 - to get the same loft with an open face?

I don’t know that there is a drover that adjusts enough up from 9 to be the same as a 10.5 adjusted up. If there were it would be extremely closed.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I’m confused - if the 10.5 is on + you’ve added loft and closed the face - wouldn’t you need to do what I’ve done and go to 12 - to get the same loft with an open face?

I don’t know that there is a drover that adjusts enough up from 9 to be the same as a 10.5 adjusted up. If there were it would be extremely closed.

Maybe I didn’t want to do what you did. Haha

I want to get the 9 head, so that I can use the + setting to help close the face a bit but have it closer to the loft of my 10.5 neutral setting. That way I’ll still get the launch and spin down a touch with the help in keeping it straighter. Of course now I’ve seen a good deal on a rogue and really enjoyed the evenflow blue in a few different heads last week. So I guess I’m a little all over the place with my latest driver hunt. (Maybe that’s a credit to how excellent the g30 still is).

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

16 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Maybe I didn’t want to do what you did. Haha

I want to get the 9 head, so that I can use the + setting to help close the face a bit but have it closer to the loft of my 10.5 neutral setting. That way I’ll still get the launch and spin down a touch with the help in keeping it straighter. Of course now I’ve seen a good deal on a rogue and really enjoyed the evenflow blue in a few different heads last week. So I guess I’m a little all over the place with my latest driver hunt. (Maybe that’s a credit to how excellent the g30 still is).

Got it!  I thought you were saying you wanted to do what I did - what you were saying was you might use the up/down thing to your advantage as I (or more accurately my fitter) did.  I really think this is a big deal - knowing that you can get a different look, open/closed face, more or less spin based on that along with shifting the weights around.

Yes the G30 was/is a great driver IMO.  It was a Most Wanted driver in its year.  You could do a lot worse. 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Got it!  I thought you were saying you wanted to do what I did - what you were saying was you might use the up/down thing to your advantage as I (or more accurately my fitter) did.  I really think this is a big deal - knowing that you can get a different look, open/closed face, more or less spin based on that along with shifting the weights around.
Yes the G30 was/is a great driver IMO.  It was a Most Wanted driver in its year.  You could do a lot worse.

What makes me laugh is that my friend had an older Callaway driver with an adjustable Hosel, but it was before the optifit. Instead of the + or - that they show now it just has open, neutral, or closed. I almost wish they would go back to that since if you sole your club before gripping that’s what you’re doing anyway.

Then my friend won’t laugh at me using a 10.5 driver in the + position. Well, he stops laughing when I’m 20 yards longer anyway... haha

What makes me laugh is that my friend had an older Callaway driver with an adjustable Hosel, but it was before the optifit. Instead of the + or - that they show now it just has open, neutral, or closed. I almost wish they would go back to that since if you sole your club before gripping that’s what you’re doing anyway.

Then my friend won’t laugh at me using a 10.5 driver in the + position. Well, he stops laughing when I’m 20 yards longer anyway... haha

Yep - better scores or longer straighter drives wipes off a lot of smiles. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

On ‎06‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:24 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Gary Woodland had this and the 3 wood in his bag with the Accra shaft when he won the US Open.... and he's not paid to play them.  Just sayin'

Driver: Ping G410 Plus (9 degrees set at 7)
Shaft: Accra RPG 472 M5+ (44.75 inches, tipped 2 inches)

Yeah, I recognized it immediately when I saw him pull the 3w out. Stock Alta CB Red shaft and all...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Well I played my first round with the G410 plus paired with the Diamana RF 50x shaft tonight. It is a 10.5* head and I settled on the little plus setting. I could tell I was spinning it too much by the slight ballooning and zero roll. I tried to go down in loft but that opened the face and everything went more right on me. I am wondering if the 9* head at the little plus would have been a wiser choice but I did hit 7/14 fairways. The ball definitely felt like it exploded off the face and I didn't hear any off-putting sound. I can definitely see why all you guys loved it. Ping definitely improved on the g400 in my opinion. 

Well I played my first round with the G410 plus paired with the Diamana RF 50x shaft tonight. It is a 10.5* head and I settled on the little plus setting. I could tell I was spinning it too much by the slight ballooning and zero roll. I tried to go down in loft but that opened the face and everything went more right on me. I am wondering if the 9* head at the little plus would have been a wiser choice but I did hit 7/14 fairways. The ball definitely felt like it exploded off the face and I didn't hear any off-putting sound. I can definitely see why all you guys loved it. Ping definitely improved on the g400 in my opinion. 

Did you try moving the weight to draw? Also you could look at what a heavier shaft might bring.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I did move the weight to draw for a couple swings. I wasn’t a fan of how the feel of the head changed. By that I mean it felt like the swingweight was a lot lighter and I lost the feeling of where the head was in my swing. I have never really seen any real flight changes from any clubs moveable weight tech and this one was no different.
I may look at a different shaft but at the same time I’m not sure I should mess with it. 50% of fairways is ok to me plus the others were fairly close and I played the same ball the whole round.
So I guess I need to ponder whether another 5-10 yards is worth messing around for.

I did move the weight to draw for a couple swings. I wasn’t a fan of how the feel of the head changed. By that I mean it felt like the swingweight was a lot lighter and I lost the feeling of where the head was in my swing. I have never really seen any real flight changes from any clubs moveable weight tech and this one was no different.
I may look at a different shaft but at the same time I’m not sure I should mess with it. 50% of fairways is ok to me plus the others were fairly close and I played the same ball the whole round.
So I guess I need to ponder whether another 5-10 yards is worth messing around for.

It would be - yes 5 times 14 is 90 - Half a stroke per round. Who wouldn’t take half a stroke for a turn of the wrench?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It would be - yes 5 times 14 is 90 - Half a stroke per round. Who wouldn’t take half a stroke for a turn of the wrench?

While a half a stroke a round would be nice, I’m not sure that equates for the courses I play around me. Most par 4’s are already driver then 8-iron or less and only a couple par 5’s are reachable for me anyways. It may be different if it we were talking a full club difference.
Oh who am I kidding I love tinkering so I will probably look for something anyways.

On the accra shaft... Definitely one to try during a fitting. I tried two out early this year and they were legitimately the worst two shafts for my swing out of the 15 of so I tried that day. I couldn't find the center of the club and had no consistency with ball speed or dispersion. 

It was disappointing as between the conversations here and the TXG vids, I really wanted to like them. It was good, because I wasn't having to pay the premium they demand. 

In no way do I think they are anything but great, and there are plenty that can speak to their fit and performance. They are absolutely worth a try if you can before you buy. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

On the accra shaft... Definitely one to try during a fitting. I tried two out early this year and they were legitimately the worst two shafts for my swing out of the 15 of so I tried that day. I couldn't find the center of the club and had no consistency with ball speed or dispersion. 

It was disappointing as between the conversations here and the TXG vids, I really wanted to like them. It was good, because I wasn't having to pay the premium they demand. 

In no way do I think they are anything but great, and there are plenty that can speak to their fit and performance. They are absolutely worth a try if you can before you buy. 

This is why we should always get fit before buying - we may want to buy something but just like an appetite at a buffet line the eyes may sometimes be too big for it!

Great reminder and also great understanding that something that didn’t work for you may be just right for someone else.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 11:10 PM, PING Apologist #9 said:

PING G410 SFT Driver - Stage 2 Review - Ping Apologist #9

IMG_20190425_185818594_HDR.thumb.jpg.18d2c42e79f70d95a896a1c2379746df.jpg

Welcome back for my Stage-II review! It’s been a wet-n-wild 6-weeks or so since I received this weapon and I’ve done my best to put it through its paces. 5 or 6 different range-only sessions coupled with at least that many rounds have been all I could muster, but it has been enough for me to come to my conclusions. I’ve used every hosel position, tried a different shaft and even re-gripped it already. Although I know I’ve fallen a little short in the hard-data-gathering aspect of things, this review is certainly heavy with “analog” thoughts and feelings on getting a new driver more from the point-of-view of the average guy buying golf equipment off the rack which I believe is more in spirit line with the majority of golfers in the world.

LOOKS

What can I say? Black goes with everything and when red is in the mix, it becomes a classic (if somewhat sinister…think Black Widow) look that should appeal to many. The tone of red PING uses on this series of clubs is subdued and definitely not overpowering. I think, gives the club a business-only kind of look and then add a few chrome touches and I think you have a winner.  IMG_20190525_171514217.thumb.jpg.c3d3cf3de0abbb4ee0d95fe096c4c100.jpgEven with the stock Alta CB Red shaft plugged in, the matte paint on it keeps it from a distracting the user and from also blinding your playing partners with some sort of “look-at-me” freaky bling. 392200654_IMG_20190426_2138241242.thumb.jpg.5f088dabe062ce8308979679c39df731.jpg The crown is nice to look at and has less of those famous “dragonfly” effects on top and I think it looks “better”. IMG_20190525_222724664.thumb.jpg.d87507ffac14a808a450eb1a4c48838e.jpg Also of note, the similarly-famous Turbulators appear to be a bit more prominent than the G400 and the face has a bit more detail to it. 1539556280_IMG_20190514_1908506622.thumb.jpg.564034f8b8154ae4b8b0cedc19930660.jpg All these aspects combine into a package that should be appealing to most everyone. My only gig is the head cover. It was a little hard to squeeze on & off and I’d ask that a revisit be done to reintroduce covers that have an outer cuff that you can put your fingers into and use to pull it down over the head easier.

SCORE: 9/10

SOUND & FEEL

Literally, my very first experience hitting this club had me asking myself out loud: “What the Hell was PING thinking..??!!” I was not pleased with the sound it makes at ALL. In fact it seemed to be on par with the sound my old G-Series driver made (think of an empty garbage pail falling over), which I absolutely HATED. Then after hitting it side-by-side with my G400, I was devastated. The G400 has much more of a quiet “thunk” compared to the re-visited “toink” I was hearing again from this G410. For me, PING went backwards on this one. The major appeal to me for saving up and buying the G400 last August was mainly because it sounded WAY better than the G. This driver sounds almost as loud as a G and has taken some time to get used to. (Disclaimer: Try as I might, my efforts to put together a sound comparison between my 400 & 410 all failed and I’ve omitted them for lack of quality.) Sorry PING. You lost me on this one…

Now as for feel, not much I can iterate here other than…well…it just feels good. Normal. Expected. The big 455cc head on the end of my shortened (-1/2”) shaft with the factory-set D0 swing-weight gives me confidence to let-er-rip. The materials used and the supreme engineering behind it all are amazing and lend to a positive mindset when drawing it from the bag and whirling it about. I’d say it simply feels “natural”. Mis-hits are obvious by both sound and feel, but while a mis-hit won’t shatter your teeth out, you certainly do get immediate feedback that this last shot was something other than center-punched. IMG_20190425_185355920.thumb.jpg.4e37c7f15507ce6c42c18bb2af35368d.jpgWith this club, I can usually tell before I look at the face where it came off from both the feel & the dreaded sound it made.

SCORE: 6/10 (only 1-pt given for sound, 5-pts for feel)

BASIC CHARACTERISTICS

PING claims that the “SFT” (Straight Flight Technology) built into this head by placing a single heavy weight off center near the shaft area on the back of the head, provides “maximum fade and slice correction”. For me..? Not so fast! I can still slice the snot out of any given shot even with an impact in the sweet spot. So, no. This is not a magic club and it will NOT automatically correct a crummy swing. Do not buy this club with that false expectation. While I believe this technology does help, if you continue to come in steep and swipe across the ball, a-slicing you will go.

The new “8-lobe trajectory tuning” hosel is certainly a departure from the 4-way adjustment of the recent past for PING. You can make some pretty wholesale changes to not only loft (+or- 1 or 1.5*), but now can change the lie angle a bit between -1* and +1*. I played around with these settings quite a bit and will most likely continue to do so while I continue to fine tune, but nearly every time I deviated from -1* down in loft, I always seemed to come back to that setting. Different shafts I want to try will start this game all over again, but it sure is nice to have these additional fitting options to try out on your on and on the fly. Kudos to PING for this engineering marvel!

The forged face is awesome and durable. The before-mentioned prominent turbulators certainly lend to a very easy and repeatable aiming point at address and again the matte finish to the top of the head makes addressing the ball a pleasure without distraction from any sort of glare.

SCORE: 20/20

ON-COURSE PERFORMANCE

IMG_20190419_191147226_HDR.thumb.jpg.89b286d1e5687241198cbcbf29cc8874.jpg

During my early testing of this club, I fiddled with a stronger grip after it was pointed out to me that I had regressed back to a weak one. Though it felt a bit odd, I began to warm up to it and immediately began seeing better and longer iron shots and it also really woke up the driver on the range-especially in the distance category. The very next session at the range really proved this out and I was pounding them hard with one registering in at 270!!!IMG_0086.thumb.jpg.fd78655acb715a57e1dcd00883ef0a1e.jpg Taking this new-found grip to the course however, turned out to not be an instant magic elixir with the driver. I continued to struggle with “power fades” and it seemed that hitting into the short grass was just not in the cards. In fact, the first 18 played solely with this driver, I had a total of ZERO fairways hit. Not cool. However, if/when I could find my ball, I was usually 10 to even 30-yds further up and THAT was a huge bonus and this simply meant to me that I had to do a better job at finding the right, repeatable grip and right swing to suit this club’s potential. It’s there…I just have to learn to unlock it better. A few more rounds after this have been better, but I am still struggling a bit with it but refuse to fault the club for my flaws. I know the consistent 240-260 is there. It is up to me to control that power better. More to come on this one, but at the time of this posting, I remain at a steady 22 HCP and still score in the mid to low 90’s even with this beast at my disposal. Tough call here, but my score is:

SCORE: 20/30

MISCELLANEOUS

PING has really stepped-up with their “no up-charge” shaft offerings and for no more than the standard retail price of this club, you can be fitted into several brands and models that not too long ago, would have been considered “premium” or “elite” shaft options. It seems just a year or two ago one would have been charged an obscene amount of cash to get shafts like these and now they are available to us “common” folk... I dig my Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei Orange 60 and further love that if I paid for this head and that shaft with my own dollars, it would not have exceeded the retail off-shelf price of one from Dick’s (or wherever) with the stock Alta shaft in it. Add to this PING’s vaunted and legendary customer service. For me, A#1 bar none. They will bend over backwards to assist you and always do things right.

SCORE: 10/10

PLAY IT, or TRADE IT?

Sorry G400… You are gone…IMG_20190525_224802162.thumb.jpg.7a2a0a2a72ade41cbb8625decb9d0712.jpg

For me, a round-ish 50-year-old and one who has struggled for distance, the 410 SFT driver fits the bill and has displaced the 400 and now resides permanently in my bag. That night on the range where I was hitting everything well, it was just obvious that the G410 was better than the G400…even despite my misgivings about the way the 410 sounds. Screw it! At this point I’ll take every yard I can get, so I sold off my G400 and used those funds to get a girlfriend for my G410 driver…a brand new G410 7-wood…IMG_20190525_230524380.thumb.jpg.48a0c46a08c97de04caabaaf517ef0f1.jpg This little club ROCKS! It filled the gap I had between 5i & 5w and for me reflects just how good the whole darned G410 line is as an over-all series. Stock shaft, stock grip and stock setting. Right off the rack, a monster. My G410 SFT clubs are in play, no apologies!

SCORE: 20/20

CONCLUSION

FINAL SCORE: 85/100

TRY ONE!!! IMMEDIATELY!!! You will not be disappointed and you may even be surprised. With the addition of the G410 LST (Low Spin Tech) drivers just a few days ago, the PING G410 line is finally complete and should appeal to just about all types of golfers. As for my personal misgivings about the sound my driver makes, don’t let that little gig prevent you from giving one of these a whirl. It may grow on you and is distinctive enough to maybe even be proud of. To me, the investment made of your hard-earned dollars will be instantly realized as a solid investment into your golfing future.

Thank-you for reading and please feel free to ask me any questions you have at any time.

How are you liking the 7W? I've absolutely loved my so far this season and is my go to club! 

:taylormade-small: M2 Driver 

:taylormade-small: M2 3 Wood or  :ping-small: G410 7 Wood

:taylormade-small: 3 Hybrid or :ping-small: G Crossover 3i
:ping-small:  G410 5i-GW (White Dot, Stiff)  
:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth (54, 58) and sometimes will add a :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 (62)

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Anser 
:918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Range Finder