TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 Driver

My Callaway Razr-Fit now sits alongside my Callaway WB 3w and PE2 irons... it hasn't seen action since the side by side launch monitor session I reported on on my stage 2 this past May.  The G410P continues to impress and has, utterly amazing to me, turned this historically soft fader into a predominantly straight (even baby draw) hitter off the tee.  This did take several setting adjustments but the technology works as advertised!! 
I would say my only minor gripe with the club is that removing tee marks from the sole takes a bit of doing. I usually clean with water and a medium bristle nylon brush.  Some of these require a soft scrub pad to remove.  I do use nylon tees (not wood) and perhaps that isn't helping? I have been studying the mark pattern to see if it is trying to tell me something .
clubs.jpg.0d0c400830a2e55150cb0be2a64a40af.jpg719080970_g410teemarks.jpg.cc025fe364f077ec44ea9fff8d9a7dc4.jpg

Magic Erasers work great for those. The marks bother me too haha.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

My SFT is just getting better and better. I'm loving every aspect of this club from the sound to the narrow dispersion and now the distance (which I was complaining about previously). The distance issue of course, was the result of the "Indian" and not the "arrow".

I still haven't adjusted the hosel since my fitting - afraid to change a great thing!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

14 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

My SFT is just getting better and better. I'm loving every aspect of this club from the sound to the narrow dispersion and now the distance (which I was complaining about previously). The distance issue of course, was the result of the "Indian" and not the "arrow".

I still haven't adjusted the hosel since my fitting - afraid to change a great thing!

Wish I could say the same thing...been a rather arduous journey for me since the reviews. Shaft changes and constant tinkering with the hosel adjustments. Simply put, I haven't found equilibrium or my "happy place" with this driver and it's been rather frustrating...so much so that I've taken a break recently (including here) to maybe flush some demons.

My experiences with it are basically as follows:

• Hammer the snot out of a bucket on the range with nice, long and mostly straight hits
  • Embarrass myself on the course with constant distance-killing slices and shorter duffs
  • Go home pissed

I'm still in a bad position where I can't afford lessons, so most likely I'm piling on bad habits onto an already flawed and crummy swing. I am also wondering about my ball choice and am contemplating trying something different (note that I recently tried a sleeve of Srixon Q or Z-Star that I hated-covers just got chewed up bad after just one round).

Headed to the range here shortly before it gets too hot to hit a few and see if this recent break has done anything positive.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

On 8/28/2019 at 9:32 AM, gregh729 said:

I've been driving the ball great this year, but these reviews have me tempted to replace my Epic Sub Zero

This makes me smile!! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 8/28/2019 at 6:32 AM, gregh729 said:

I've been driving the ball great this year, but these reviews have me tempted to replace my Epic Sub Zero

Not taking anything away from the 410 it is a great club, but do yourself a favor and hit the flash too. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Wish I could say the same thing...been a rather arduous journey for me since the reviews. Shaft changes and constant tinkering with the hosel adjustments. Simply put, I haven't found equilibrium or my "happy place" with this driver and it's been rather frustrating...so much so that I've taken a break recently (including here) to maybe flush some demons.
  • Hammer the snot out of a bucket on the range with nice, long and mostly straight hits
  • Embarrass myself on the course with constant distance-killing slices and shorter duffs
  • Go home pissed
I'm still in a bad position where I can't afford lessons, so most likely I'm piling on bad habits onto an already flawed and crummy swing. I am also wondering about my ball choice and am contemplating trying something different (note that I recently tried a sleeve of Srixon Q or Z-Star that I hated-covers just got chewed up bad after just one round).
Headed to the range here shortly before it gets too hot to hit a few and see if this recent break has done anything positive.

Sounds like my iron play. :(

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Go home pissed

Hang in there, we all go thru those stretches of bad, frustrating golf. Hope it passes soon.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• Go home pissed

I can relate - that was happening to me early on. Finally figured out that it was a combination of grip and spine angle. On the course especially in league I tended to stand tall. Played again today (in the rain no less) and I was just smacking that ball down the fairway. Nothing better than hearing that sound when you hit it well.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

So I indeed went out to hit a bucket, but then decided to play a round despite the heat. I put my longer Aldila Tour blue shaft back in (I had been using a short Tensei Blue that wasn't making any distance) and was having the same old swiping issues with super-slice-a-ronis as usual. Fiddled with loft and landed at 11.5* and with a little choke-down action, I began to see better performance out on the course. Many straight shots and even some that went left to places I've never played before since I'm almost always right on every hole. Distance was OK, but I still had 2 moon shots that were way short after hitting under the ball. Choke-down seems to be key for me at this point. 

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

So I indeed went out to hit a bucket, but then decided to play a round despite the heat. I put my longer Aldila Tour blue shaft back in (I had been using a short Tensei Blue that wasn't making any distance) and was having the same old swiping issues with super-slice-a-ronis as usual. Fiddled with loft and landed at 11.5* and with a little choke-down action, I began to see better performance out on the course. Many straight shots and even some that went left to places I've never played before since I'm almost always right on every hole. Distance was OK, but I still had 2 moon shots that were way short after hitting under the ball. Choke-down seems to be key for me at this point. 

Sounds like you're getting closer to optimum performance. I played 18 today and except for 1 drive I was a very happy camper. The big change for me from earlier this year is when I do have a bad drive I can immediately attribute it one of two elements in my stance or swing.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

At long last, following a summer of testing, my review is up for your consumption:

This is a beta test for a new review format for 2020.  One combined post that's easier to consume with steady discussion throughout.  Open to any comments you may have....and of course, any questions about G410+.  Thanks for reading.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

At long last, following a summer of testing, my review is up for your consumption:

This is a beta test for a new review format for 2020.  One combined post that's easier to consume with steady discussion throughout.  Open to any comments you may have....and of course, any questions about G410+.  Thanks for reading.

First hand experience... witnessed those Whammy Shells that Stud is talking about in his review.

Much like the energizer bunny, his drives kept going and going and going...

On the review being a one big reveal, I like 1000%.

1 hour ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Also digging the new everything at the same time review format. Hopefully the rest of the forum members (non testers) keep up the participation if it goes live.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Well done on the new format. You’re correct it is considerably easier to follow.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I gotta agree with the others on the one big reveal being my choice.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I like the one big reveal with the review. Great job and love the video! It honestly doesn't sound that bad, but it could be that I'm comparing it to the Epic Flash Sub Zero that's in my bag. The biggest thing that matters is performance, and it sounds like you're getting it in spades.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I would agree with others that the new format is easier to follow. I’ve been involved in lots of tests and the interest is often there early but not so much later on.

One shot after an early tease may be the way to go.

I’d thing the reader would need to know something about the reviewer - age, SS, location, handicap, what he was playing, was he fit for that, was he fit for the test club.

From there a combo of relevant data and reviewer opinion should do the trick. I also think it would be better if we could be a bit more timely with our reviews. Four weeks after the testers are announced with some exceptions (Super Speed). It keeps the interest peaked.

I’ve learned to focus in on reviewers whose games and playing style most approximate mine. So knowing that is extremely important for me. I will ask questions of guys whom I know and trust if there’s something particular that I want to know.

For example Csnoil is a two clubs longer than me but I trust his opinion about how forgiving an iron is or how a particular driver performs on miss hits.

I think Stud is spot on about miss hits with this driver - you feel them in your hands but somehow the ball seems to get out to its normal distance and in the fairway. It’s uncanny. I’d also like the weight to slide. I’m sure the sound will be a turn off for some - I usually don’t notice and the first shot with it scared me it was so loud.

I got used to it quickly when my fitter started giving me my numbers.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

14 minutes ago, revkev said:

I think Stud is spot on about miss hits with this driver - you feel them in your hands but somehow the ball seems to get out to its normal distance and in the fairway. It’s uncanny. I’d also like the weight to slide.

I can also tell the mishits from the sound - especially toe hits. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a round in this week before the first snowstorm of the season is due to hit us.  It was a glorious early fall day and tough to imagine this unruly snowbeast heading our way... but it is indeed 😱.  Anyway, I digress.  I was hitting my G410P better than at any time since it found its way into my quiver.  I hit 13/18 fairways and those missed were not missed by much.  I was also getting some better than average distances; with one drive on #6 rolling out to 292 yards 🤩

An area I've been focusing on a lot this summer is cadence - as in slowing myself down on all shots.  I keep reminding myself what happens to fly casts that fail to allow the line to load the rod on the backstroke and are too quickly rushed forward.  I'm telling you, there is a direct correlation between golf swings and fly casting (I'm a scratch fly fisher).  I've also been focusing on lighter grip pressure; particularly my right hand.  I had cleaned up the club face prior to that round and my ball strikes were peppering the bullseye.  I've place this driving day into my RAM in hopes that I can recall the mojo.  Man, I really love this driver!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 9/8/2019 at 4:47 PM, Shankster said:

On the review being a one big reveal, I like 1000%.

+1, I think this will be great.

I just got a round in this week before the first snowstorm of the season is due to hit us.  It was a glorious early fall day and tough to imagine this unruly snowbeast heading our way... but it is indeed .  Anyway, I digress.  I was hitting my G410P better than at any time since it found its way into my quiver.  I hit 13/18 fairways and those missed were not missed by much.  I was also getting some better than average distances; with one drive on #6 rolling out to 292 yards 🤩
An area I've been focusing on a lot this summer is cadence - as in slowing myself down on all shots.  I keep reminding myself what happens to fly casts that fail to allow the line to load the rod on the backstroke and are too quickly rushed forward.  I'm telling you, there is a direct correlation between golf swings and fly casting (I'm a scratch fly fisher).  I've also been focusing on lighter grip pressure; particularly my right hand.  I had cleaned up the club face prior to that round and my ball strikes were peppering the bullseye.  I've place this driving day into my RAM in hopes that I can recall the mojo.  Man, I really love this driver!

Glad it's finally worked out for you. I love my 410 and can't imagine a better driver. All of the guys I play with are just amazed at how straight my drives are - in fact yesterday my league partner asked me what the secret to my straight drives was. I told him I've been working on my swing . Don't want to tell him it's the driver

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

• 1 month later...

Well yesterday I had my best driving day of the season (and maybe my life).  I pulled the G410 9 times and hit 9 fairways, averaging about 280 yards with little to no roll-out thanks to the 1.5 inches of rain we got the day before.

Confidence is just incredible with this club and it keeps producing even as I go through swing changes.

You guys got to me. I’m scheduling a fitting next week for one of these Bombs

Rick

Left Hand, 

3 hours ago, Rickp said:

You guys got to me. I’m scheduling a fitting next week for one of these Bombsemoji106.png

Don't know what you're gaming now but my sense is that you're going to LOVE everything about this driver. I have about 80 rounds with mine and lots of range time and my response to anyone wondering is "you're going to have to pry........ "  well you get it. 

Since we're roughly the same age, and I think close to the same SS, I'll be interested to hear what shaft they put you in. I've got the CB R Flex cut down about 1/2".  FYI I started out (for the official test) with the SR Flex - then I went to my fitter who put me into this current shaft.. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Don't know what you're gaming now but my sense is that you're going to LOVE everything about this driver. I have about 80 rounds with mine and lots of range time and my response to anyone wondering is "you're going to have to pry........ "  well you get it. 
Since we're roughly the same age, and I think close to the same SS, I'll be interested to hear what shaft they put you in. I've got the CB R Flex cut down about 1/2".  FYI I started out (for the official test) with the SR Flex - then I went to my fitter who put me into this current shaft.. 

My go to driver is Ping G, I also have a Cobra F8. The F8 is a bit longer but the G us a lot straighter.

Rick

Left Hand, 

My go to driver is Ping G, I also have a Cobra F8. The F8 is a bit longer but the G us a lot straighter.

Well this will be straighter still

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

You guys got to me. I’m scheduling a fitting next week for one of these Bombs

Tuesday morning 8:30, Ping G410 fitting.
We got 8:30 because store doesn’t open until 9:00 so no distractions.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Lots of pics, Trackman data and other details please

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

As I just got the weapon a week ago, I am starting out by leaving everything on my  G410 Plus in neutral settings until I am more sure how I hit this club.

Lately, I have been hitting some hooks as a result of a back muscle giving grief so that good hip turns through the drive were minimally, if at all, possible.

I am getting a good sense of what I may have to adjust, but the ease of swinging this monster seems to want to make me wait for a while.

So far, I am getting a bit of a strong draw, but not a lot of gawd awful hooks to sense a full pattern.

To be honest, I need to work out ways to get a little more distance.  But no adjustment until I feel better tuned to the clubs a whole.

BTW, love the club! It not only lives up to the MGS reviews, to me, it swell worth its price.

cartoon0708.png.7251ed64d61e82e27b9c7593a8b3f72f.png

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

21 hours ago, Rickp said:

Go ahead and make out the check now... you're going to love it.  Please do share your fitting experience and data. 👍