:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I saw a leaf yesterday, they’re kinda pretty. Cool low 50’ again tomorrow then warms up. Want to see how the driver reacts B4 fareways dry out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I’m so waiting for these fairways to dry - I couldn’t believe how wet it was in Port St Lucie.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I’m so waiting for these fairways to dry - I couldn’t believe how wet it was in Port St Lucie.

Ours are drying out quickly. Soon hard and fast.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 11/17/2019 at 9:46 AM, Rickp said:

It’s 50’ here this AM and nothing is moving. Golf Course across the street is empty.

If it gets to 50 degrees here,  the course looks like it’s Labor Day. .. with free beer at the end of the round 

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

11 hours ago, Rickp said:

Ours are drying out quickly. Soon hard and fast.

We've had very little rain also.  That's why I was so surprised there.  I still had a couple of drives over 230 last Friday which is a sign that we are starting to get a little roll at least (either that or I ate a serious batch of Wheaties!)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 1 month later...
We've had very little rain also.  That's why I was so surprised there.  I still had a couple of drives over 230 last Friday which is a sign that we are starting to get a little roll at least (either that or I ate a serious batch of Wheaties!)

Only 1.5 from you and we had a lot of rain Tuesday/Wednesday so no roll for us. Next week more rain coming.
We have company next week so hope not too much rain.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Only 1.5 from you and we had a lot of rain Tuesday/Wednesday so no roll for us. Next week more rain coming.
We have company next week so hope not too much rain.

Tons of it this weekend - was supposed to play after church but courses are closed with more I the forecast. I start a nice holiday after Christmas. It’s supposed to be perfect the end of the week.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Tons of it this weekend - was supposed to play after church but courses are closed with more I the forecast. I start a nice holiday after Christmas. It’s supposed to be perfect the end of the week.

Yup rain until Tuesday.

Rick

Left Hand, 

• STUDque unpinned this topic
  • 3 months later...

Much needed follow-up for this thread.

As I mentioned back in early March, I have made some pretty drastic swing changes this offseason.  As I have worked on having more rotation in my swing and less of an in to out path, I saw mixed results.  Swing changes had been incredible with the irons and wedges, but started causing issues in my reliable Driver and 3W.  Sent some lesson and practice videos to fitter and had some discussions about shaft weight, balance point, head weight and swing weight.  The Accra TZ5s that was fit into last year are fantastic, but they have a very low balance point.  This means that swing weight is typically higher.  This was causing the driver and 3W to get stuck behind me, leading to come much more from the inside than I wanted.  Lots and lots of blocks with the driver. After trying a few different higher balance point shafts, I settled on two shafts. 

In the driver, I ended up going with the VA Nemesys 65 Five (X) shaft.  This is one of, if not the most highest balance point shaft on the market.  This means it pairs extremely well with Ping heads, as they are the heaviest driver heads on the market (it's also why most of the stock shafts Ping offers are counterbalanced).

I have had the shaft for 3 weeks now and have been making swings into my net and it feels fantastic.  It was a much more effortless swing and based on the slow motion videos I was taking, it definitely appeared that I was able to neutralize my swing path a bit more with the Nemesys/G410 combo.

The biggest test was yesterday.  First time out on the course in 2.5 months and my first round with the Nemesys.

I know there's always a honeymoon period, but the stats don't lie.  My fairways hit % was the highest in over a year.  My distance was as good as it ever had been.  By the 4th hole, I was on autopilot off the tee.  My swing was just so comfortable and I was just able to trust all of my swing changes.  The biggest tell that it was a good fit?  I didn't hit one hook off the tee. I was hitting straight bombs with either a baby draw or baby fade the entire round.  I only hit one large block, but that was when I was really trying to overdraw the ball due to the shape of the hole and direction of the wind and didn't square up the face.

As for the G410 driver head itself - it is still absolutely everything I want in a driver head.  I am still playing it lofted down one (to open the face a little), neutral lie angle, and the weight in neutral.  I am finding it gives me the distance I need while not sacrificing the forgiveness I want.  I could easily game the G410 LST Driver and it would probably give me a little more distance.  However, my big miss is the low spinning hook and the LST, spinning at around 250 rpms less, would exacerbate that miss.  I would rather have the added stability and additional RPMs of spin to stabilize my ball flight.  

The G410+ is cheaper than any other new driver on the market and therefore it is probably the best bang for your buck.  Between the Plus, LST and SFT, there is no doubt there is a Ping driver head that can fit just about anyone.

4 minutes ago, jlukes said:

VA Nemesys 65 Five (X) shaft

Curious what made you choose this shaft?. I have the stock CB Alta 65g (cut down1/2") R Flex  in my 410. Interestingly, in my 410 hybrids I have a 1/2" longer Tensi 70g and love them. Both were the result of fittings. hmmm.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Much needed follow-up for this thread.
As I mentioned back in early March, I have made some pretty drastic swing changes this offseason.  As I have worked on having more rotation in my swing and less of an in to out path, I saw mixed results.  Swing changes had been incredible with the irons and wedges, but started causing issues in my reliable Driver and 3W.  Sent some lesson and practice videos to fitter and had some discussions about shaft weight, balance point, head weight and swing weight.  The Accra TZ5s that was fit into last year are fantastic, but they have a very low balance point.  This means that swing weight is typically higher.  This was causing the driver and 3W to get stuck behind me, leading to come much more from the inside than I wanted.  Lots and lots of blocks with the driver. After trying a few different higher balance point shafts, I settled on two shafts. 
In the driver, I ended up going with the VA Nemesys 65 Five (X) shaft.  This is one of, if not the most highest balance point shaft on the market.  This means it pairs extremely well with Ping heads, as they are the heaviest driver heads on the market (it's also why most of the stock shafts Ping offers are counterbalanced).
I have had the shaft for 3 weeks now and have been making swings into my net and it feels fantastic.  It was a much more effortless swing and based on the slow motion videos I was taking, it definitely appeared that I was able to neutralize my swing path a bit more with the Nemesys/G410 combo.
The biggest test was yesterday.  First time out on the course in 2.5 months and my first round with the Nemesys.
I know there's always a honeymoon period, but the stats don't lie.  My fairways hit % was the highest in over a year.  My distance was as good as it ever had been.  By the 4th hole, I was on autopilot off the tee.  My swing was just so comfortable and I was just able to trust all of my swing changes.  The biggest tell that it was a good fit?  I didn't hit one hook off the tee. I was hitting straight bombs with either a baby draw or baby fade the entire round.  I only hit one large block, but that was when I was really trying to overdraw the ball due to the shape of the hole and direction of the wind and didn't square up the face.
As for the G410 driver head itself - it is still absolutely everything I want in a driver head.  I am still playing it lofted down one (to open the face a little), neutral lie angle, and the weight in neutral.  I am finding it gives me the distance I need while not sacrificing the forgiveness I want.  I could easily game the G410 LST Driver and it would probably give me a little more distance.  However, my big miss is the low spinning hook and the LST, spinning at around 250 rpms less, would exacerbate that miss.  I would rather have the added stability and additional RPMs of spin to stabilize my ball flight.  
The G410+ is cheaper than any other new driver on the market and therefore it is probably the best bang for your buck.  Between the Plus, LST and SFT, there is no doubt there is a Ping driver head that can fit just about anyone.

Can’t agree more. My G410 plus is a keeper.

Rick

Left Hand, 

13 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Curious what made you choose this shaft?. I have the stock CB Alta 65g (cut down1/2") R Flex  in my 410. Interestingly, in my 410 hybrids I have a 1/2" longer Tensi 70g and love them. Both were the result of fittings. hmmm.  

Spoke with my previous fitters, my instructors, and hit it.  Also swung the Hzrdus yellow and Tensei Pro Orange.  Nemesys just felt the best.

My G400 LST cracked and Ping replaced it with the G410 LST.  It definitely swings and feels different than my G400 LST.  Anyone else made the change?  What was your experience?

:ping-small:       Driver:  G410 LST 9 +1 Flat w/Tour AD DI 6X Orange

:taylormade-small:  3 Metal:   M2 13 degree w/Tour AD DJ 7X Orange

:titelist-small:          Hybrid:  818 21 

:mizuno-small:        4-PW:  MP 20  w/Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small:        Wedges: 50-54-58: Mizuno MP T20 w/DG S400

:whitlam-golf-1:    Putter:  Joseph SS303 w/Super Stroke Fatso 5.0

:Snell:  Ball:  MTB Black

:1590477705_SunMountain: C130 S    🇺🇸    :skycaddie:

My G400 LST cracked and Ping replaced it with the G410 LST.  It definitely swings and feels different than my G400 LST.  Anyone else made the change?  What was your experience?

Yes and yes - there’s a noticeable difference - I greatly preferred the sound of the G400 and if sound is different then feel will be different.

Having written that I find the 410 far more forgiving and it’s been nearly a year since I switched so I’ve gotten used to the sound. Each won the MGS Most Wanted Driver as did the G30 a number of years back so clearly Ping knows what it’s doing.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

11 hours ago, revkev said:

Yes and yes - there’s a noticeable difference - I greatly preferred the sound of the G400 and if sound is different then feel will be different.

Having written that I find the 410 far more forgiving and it’s been nearly a year since I switched so I’ve gotten used to the sound. Each won the MGS Most Wanted Driver as did the G30 a number of years back so clearly Ping knows what it’s doing.

Thanks!  I am slowly getting used to it.  Ping's drivers are really good.  What shaft are you using?  I am currently gaming a Tour AD DI 6x as that is what I was using in the G400.  

Thanks!  I am slowly getting used to it.  Ping's drivers are really good.  What shaft are you using?  I am currently gaming a Tour AD DI 6x as that is what I was using in the G400.  

I’m a tester for the Motore X shaft - it’s a great fit for me.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

4 hours ago, revkev said:

I’m a tester for the Motore X shaft - it’s a great fit for me.

How is the feel?  I play an X Stiff, but would like a smoother feel.  

How is the feel?  I play an X Stiff, but would like a smoother feel.  

You should check out that thread. I’m an older smoother swinging guy so I might not be the best point of comparison for you. To me it’s very stable, much more stable than the alta distanza that I had formerly. I get a more piercing ball flight, very consistent with a hint of draw.

I really need the time to get out, on the course, by myself and see what happens when I mess around with lifts a bit.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

On 5/4/2020 at 9:31 AM, Rickp said:

Can’t agree more. My G410 plus is a keeper.

I played the G400 Max from the day it came out with the stock Alta shaft in 9* Regular flex. Right from the beginning it was the best driver I've ever owned.

About a year later the shaft snapped right about in the middle. My buddy had an extra in his shop and he replaced it for me there so I didn't have to return it to PING. Just over a month ago, the second shaft snapped, but this time at the hosel and there's also a crack on the hosel of the club head itself.

PING is closed now because of the Covid thing, so I've had to find a replacement. I read reviews of the Cobra Speedzone being a longer version of the Max, but I didn't hit it well, even at 10.5*. I returned it and bought the G410 Plus 9* regular, hoping it would play similar to the Max. It's a little better than the Cobra, but still not what I'm looking for. I don't get the height or distance I did, even after adjusting the loft up. I've even moved it to the Draw setting.

The only thing I can figure is the two stock shafts in those clubs are about 5-6 grams heavier than the one in the Max, so yesterday I decided I was going to try an experiment. My buddy gave me a very light Bassara shaft (42 g) that has a Callaway adaptor. We're going to put it in the head of an Epic Flash, and I'm going to see how it works for 3 or 4 rounds. If it goes well, we're going to change the adaptor and try it on the G410.

I'm at the end of my rope, driver has gone from the best part of my game, to a crap shoot, LOL. Honestly I can't wait for PING to reopen. I really want to just send the damaged head back to them. If the damaged head isn't covered under warranty, I'll just buy another 400 Max. They have them, but nothing will be shipping for weeks.

Oh well, First world problems....

EDIT sorry @Rickp I didn't realize I was replying to your post when I left this one. Not the biggest mistake I've ever made on a computer though... I might just get some knowledge from a fellow Lefty!

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

Sometimes things are just hard to believe...

Not even two hours have passed since I left the above post about breaking the shaft in my G400 Max.

Just before getting ready for bed, I checked my emails to see if there were any changes to my tee time in my league tomorrow. As I'm doing that, I finally get a reply from PING customer service. Apparently they've reopened on a limited basis, and told me to have the head sent to their repair department. They said it might take 10-15 days to resolve. Which is great news!!!

If this works out the way I'm hoping, I can't tell you how happy I'd be to get my old driver back!!!

Not to mention some lucky Left Hander here will get the chance to buy a G410 plus in almost new condition for a great price... 😉

Not even two hours have passed since I left the above post about breaking the shaft in my G400 Max.
Just before getting ready for bed, I checked my emails to see if there were any changes to my tee time in my league tomorrow. As I'm doing that, I finally get a reply from PING customer service. Apparently they've reopened on a limited basis, and told me to have the head sent to their repair department. They said it might take 10-15 days to resolve. Which is great news!!!
If this works out the way I'm hoping, I can't tell you how happy I'd be to get my old driver back!!!
Not to mention some lucky Left Hander here will get the chance to buy a G410 plus in almost new condition for a great price... 

They do also offer an Alta Distanza shaft for the 410 that’s in the mid to low 40 gram range. You could consider that if you wanted to hang on to the 410, just for kicks.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Not to mention some lucky Left Hander here will get the chance to buy a G410 plus in almost new condition for a great price... 

I figured Ping Customer Service would be responsive to your problem. It’s been said many times on MGS good companies stand behind their products.
BTW, I have the G410 plus and I’m happy w it. Had a rocky Honeymoon but it worked out.

Rick

Left Hand, 

4 hours ago, revkev said:

They do also offer an Alta Distanza shaft for the 410 that’s in the mid to low 40 gram range. You could consider that if you wanted to hang on to the 410, just for kicks.

Thanks for the heads up. Yes, I noticed you mentioned you play that shaft.

It's an option  I wasn't aware of, and I love a light weight shaft. I had to "blind fit" myself in this case because all the stores were closed It would probably be a good fit for me. 

I've had a lot of success with the Bassara ultra light, (which is about the same weight) in a Great Big Bertha driver. I like it in those fairway woods also. It's certainly worth a try.

Edited by Grand Stranded

I ended up w Alta CB 55gr w my G410 so I guess you have a lot of options.

Rick

Left Hand, 

They have a nice enough array. I currently have the Fujikura Motore that I’m testing in - it’s about 55 grams - I actually do better with that weight than the mid 40’s - much better ball flight.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Thanks for the update! Great to hear that you’re bombing em with tour new swing! I know that feeling, I went back to drawing board too, and I’m now swinging driver with confidence. Great review buddy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Found out that my local course is having a by appointment only Ping Demo Day in about 3 weeks.  Excited to get out there and put the G410 Plus and LST through the graces with a mini fitting to see how it compares to my gamer.  Honestly, it won't take but a small nudge at this point to get my TS3 out of the bag. 

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Found out that my local course is having a by appointment only Ping Demo Day in about 3 weeks.  Excited to get out there and put the G410 Plus and LST through the graces with a mini fitting to see how it compares to my gamer.  Honestly, it won't take but a small nudge at this point to get my TS3 out of the bag. 

When I tested the G410 plus & LST I thought going in the LST was going to be the best for me, I was wrong the Plus was the winner. Oddly it’s a 12’ head. I’ve never had anything over a 10.5’. Must be a combo of head & shaft and Ole Man swing but it works.

Rick

Left Hand, 

3 hours ago, revkev said:

They have a nice enough array. I currently have the Fujikura Motore that I’m testing in - it’s about 55 grams - I actually do better with that weight than the mid 40’s - much better ball flight.

15 hours ago, Rickp said:

Rick, I think you said you have the Alta55 in a soft regular, no?

I'm in a transition phase it seems as far as finding the right shaft. A 55-60 regular flex shaft with a softer tip has been my go to for years. I'm going to be 66 next month though, and I'm not a big guy 5'10" about 175 lbs. My SS has dipped just below 90 now. A senior flex is hard for me to control, I hit some gigantic hooks with the ones I've tried. Lightweight regular flex seems to work best for me now.

I have 60 gram Tensei Silver shafts in my irons and hybrids, and a very light weight Quaranta 50 in my 3 wood. The Alta regular in the 410 is 58 grams, I'm wondering if I just can't load it properly anymore.

@revkev I tried an Epic Flash this morning with a Bassara ultralite shaft in it... what a difference... nice high ball flight, and gained a few yards. I'm not chasing distance at my age (although I'll gladly take any I can get, lol) what I look for now is what I saw this morning. Something that elevates easily, and that I'm able to turn over.

I think the Distanza shaft might fit right into my new "old guy" setup.