TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 Driver

Just now, Rickp said:

When I tested the G410 plus & LST I thought going in the LST was going to be the best for me, I was wrong the Plus was the winner. Oddly it’s a 12’ head. I’ve never had anything over a 10.5’. Must be a combo of head & shaft and Ole Man swing but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

It's hard to accept big changes in what we think our "set up" should be. Good for you, being willing to make the change. You seem a lot like me, you play a lot, and enjoy the camaraderie with your group as much as the golf. 

I'm all for anything that makes the game easier. Every single club in my bag (except my 58*) is there because of it's forgiveness. When I find something that gives me more, it's gone...

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

Rick, I think you said you have the Alta55 in a soft regular, no?
I'm in a transition phase it seems as far as finding the right shaft. A 55-60 regular flex shaft with a softer tip has been my go to for years. I'm going to be 66 next month though, and I'm not a big guy 5'10" about 175 lbs. My SS has dipped just below 90 now. A senior flex is hard for me to control, I hit some gigantic hooks with the ones I've tried. Lightweight regular flex seems to work best for me now.
I have 60 gram Tensei Silver shafts in my irons and hybrids, and a very light weight Quaranta 50 in my 3 wood. The Alta regular in the 410 is 58 grams, I'm wondering if I just can't load it properly anymore.
[mention=16651]revkev[/mention] I tried an Epic Flash this morning with a Bassara ultralite shaft in it... what a difference... nice high ball flight, and gained a few yards. I'm not chasing distance at my age (although I'll gladly take any I can get, lol) what I look for now is what I saw this morning. Something that elevates easily, and that I'm able to turn over.
I think the Distanza shaft might fit right into my new "old guy" setup. 

Yup, I’m officially in the Senior Shaft group. 5’10” 200# and 73 immature years old.
At the G410 fitting I tried the regular shafts and hit them well but the Senior had more height and I’m not getting a faster swing or younger any time soon. The Shop where I purchased told me if the Senior wasn’t working they would gladly go to the Regular or even try something else.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Rick, I think you said you have the Alta55 in a soft regular, no? I'm in a transition phase it seems as far as finding the right shaft. A 55-60 regular flex shaft with a softer tip has been my go to for years. I'm going to be 66 next month though, and I'm not a big guy 5'10" about 175 lbs. My SS has dipped just below 90 now. A senior flex is hard for me to control, I hit some gigantic hooks with the ones I've tried. Lightweight regular flex seems to work best for me now.

I have 60 gram Tensei Silver shafts in my irons and hybrids, and a very light weight Quaranta 50 in my 3 wood. The Alta regular in the 410 is 58 grams, I'm wondering if I just can't load it properly anymore.

[mention=16651]revkev[/mention] I tried an Epic Flash this morning with a Bassara ultralite shaft in it... what a difference... nice high ball flight, and gained a few yards. I'm not chasing distance at my age (although I'll gladly take any I can get, lol) what I look for now is what I saw this morning. Something that elevates easily, and that I'm able to turn over.

I think the Distanza shaft might fit right into my new "old guy" setup. 

I've got 5 years on you. Last May, my fitter put me into a Alta 65 gram Regular flex shaft (cut down 1/2") on my 410, note that was with an 80+ swing speed. I've made a pretty big swing change since then and coincidently love the Tensi shafts in my hybrids. I was debating trying the Tensi now in my 410.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I've got 5 years on you. Last May, my fitter put me into a Alta 65 gram Regular flex shaft (cut down 1/2") on my 410, note that was with an 80+ swing speed. I've made a pretty big swing change since then and coincidently love the Tensi shafts in my hybrids. I was debating trying the Tensi now in my 410.  

That’s interesting Tony, because my swing speed is slightly faster than yours 90+ ish and I ended up w the Senior. I’m happy w it, occasionally

Rick

Left Hand, 

That’s interesting Tony, because my swing speed is slightly faster than yours 90+ ish and I ended up w the Senior. I’m happy w it, occasionally

Wonder if it's because of the difference in the 2 heads. Mine is a SFT and I believe you have the Plus (?).

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

That’s interesting Tony, because my swing speed is slightly faster than yours 90+ ish and I ended up w the Senior. I’m happy w it, occasionally emoji16.png

There are so many variables besides SS though that affect which shaft and flex you will need. Obviously the club head, but transistion is another.. A player can be  smooth or aggressive. I don’t pretend to have the answer though. The Alta shaft in the 400 Max worked great for me, so maybe it’s the head on the 410 plus? That’s why my shaft breaking at a time when the courses by me were open yet no fitting centers were made this such a fly by the seat of my pants type of thing. I tried to blind buy something I thought would play like the Max did.

As for the Tensei shafts, I like them so much. I played the Red 70g and the Silver 60g a few rounds each before deciding. Both felt the same, and my numbers on the monitor were similar. I decided to go with the Silver because I knew I’d be getting it in my hybrids. I also figured why not play the lightest one of the two? I’m very happy with them. 

Edited by Grand Stranded

One more thing, I realize it’s apples to oranges, but this morning I averaged about 88 mph with the 410+ Alta reg. With the Epic Flash bassara reg I was at 92. Different heads, the bassara is 11 grams lighter, and I only took 4 swings with the Ping as I warmed up whilehe put the bassara shaft in the Flash.

1 minute ago, Grand Stranded said:

One more thing, I realize it’s apples to oranges, but this morning I averaged about 88 mph with the 410+ Alta reg. With the Epic Flash bassara reg I was at 92. Different heads, the bassara is 11 grams lighter, and I only took 4 swings with the Ping as I warmed up whilehe put the bassara shaft in the Flash.

Epic Flash head is lighter than the g410+ head, too. 

Ping Heads are the heaviest stock heads on the market. 

I had a rogue GBB with HZRDUS green and couldn't hit the driver straight to save my life . Ended up selling it - and sticking with my 410 which finds the fairway 75% of the time

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

That’s interesting Tony, because my swing speed is slightly faster than yours 90+ ish and I ended up w the Senior. I’m happy w it, occasionally emoji16.png

Never did like calling it “senior flex”. It’s just a more flexible shaft that allows you’re swing tempo to load and unload the shaft optimally. Has nothing to do with “senior”. I can’t handle shaft that flexes that much because it feels like a limp noodle to me, but I play 130g stiff Dynamic golds. My buddy has an extremely smooth swing, still gets 105+ and loves senior flex shafts because he feels like he can take his time from the top. Never seen a swing as unhurried as his. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

Wonder if it's because of the difference in the 2 heads. Mine is a SFT and I believe you have the Plus (?).

Possibly but I don’t know enough that’s for sure.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Epic Flash head is lighter than the g410+ head, too. 
Ping Heads are the heaviest stock heads on the market. 

OK, now that makes perfect sense.

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I don't get along too well with most Callaway heads. Too light for me. 

Just hit the longest drive of my life with my 410+ last weekend. Drove the green on a 349 yar par 4. My apologies to the foursome that was still putting, but I was not expecting that. Usually a big hit from me is 280 and I've seen a couple 300 yarders, but this a solid 330 on the front of the green by a few yards. Granted, there was a ton of roll out on dry fairways here in Phoenix, but still. I am impressed. Staying in the bag for a while for sure. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

• 1 month later...

I just bought the G410plus 10.5 with tour 65 reg shaft. First time to the driving range with it, I didn't hit well with it at all, as it's different from the BB Alpha 815 which also has a slightly longer shaft. Too many low hooks and high pushes. Club speed was down about 1 to 2 mph vs my BB, (to 89 to 91, vs 90 to 93 avg). Ball speed was about the same at about 129 to 133 mph. Warming up the next day before my first round with it seemed slightly better, and tried to tweak my setup more to reduce hooks and slices. Anyway, for my first round with it I hit 12 of 14 fairways (easily my most accurate driving round in my history of about 40 rounds) at distances that were fairly typical for me (low of about 210 y drives for holes uphill or upwind, and 230 to 250y for downhill/downwind fairways, most common was about 225y. 

This is the problem with fittings for me. My first 10 swings aren't the same as my 40th swing. I might eventually be able to adjust to different shaft and degrees settings, but not necessarily in five or ten swings. My first impressions swinging the club were negative on the range, but my first day on the course with it was my most accurate driving day ever.

Tinkering later in the day, I tried setting it to 9.5 degrees to help me get a bit more roll out, as a couple of soft fairways and higher than optimal drives gave me zero roll. I usually have 5 to 7 degrees of upward angle of attack, so depending on whether I hit low or high on the face, can see a launch angle of 13 to 17 degrees. 14 to 15 degree launch angle would be best. My typical swing path is about 4 degrees in to out, start right and draw back a little. There are other considerations besides max distance - too low backspin can cause my inevitable left or right sidespin to take the ball too far left or right. My misses are lower overdraws/hooks, and high pushes/slices. Can do both in the same round.

I ordered the CB 55 Red Regular shaft used for a low price. Any other shaft worth trying given my swing speed and upward angle of attack proclivities? What would a heavier, stiffer shaft do to me?

• 1 month later...
I just bought the G410plus 10.5 with tour 65 reg shaft. First time to the driving range with it, I didn't hit well with it at all, as it's different from the BB Alpha 815 which also has a slightly longer shaft. Too many low hooks and high pushes. Club speed was down about 1 to 2 mph vs my BB, (to 89 to 91, vs 90 to 93 avg). Ball speed was about the same at about 129 to 133 mph. Warming up the next day before my first round with it seemed slightly better, and tried to tweak my setup more to reduce hooks and slices. Anyway, for my first round with it I hit 12 of 14 fairways (easily my most accurate driving round in my history of about 40 rounds) at distances that were fairly typical for me (low of about 210 y drives for holes uphill or upwind, and 230 to 250y for downhill/downwind fairways, most common was about 225y. 
This is the problem with fittings for me. My first 10 swings aren't the same as my 40th swing. I might eventually be able to adjust to different shaft and degrees settings, but not necessarily in five or ten swings. My first impressions swinging the club were negative on the range, but my first day on the course with it was my most accurate driving day ever.
Tinkering later in the day, I tried setting it to 9.5 degrees to help me get a bit more roll out, as a couple of soft fairways and higher than optimal drives gave me zero roll. I usually have 5 to 7 degrees of upward angle of attack, so depending on whether I hit low or high on the face, can see a launch angle of 13 to 17 degrees. 14 to 15 degree launch angle would be best. My typical swing path is about 4 degrees in to out, start right and draw back a little. There are other considerations besides max distance - too low backspin can cause my inevitable left or right sidespin to take the ball too far left or right. My misses are lower overdraws/hooks, and high pushes/slices. Can do both in the same round.
I ordered the CB 55 Red Regular shaft used for a low price. Any other shaft worth trying given my swing speed and upward angle of attack proclivities? What would a heavier, stiffer shaft do to me?

I've got a Alta CB 65 on my 410 driver, but Tensi shafts on my 410 hybrids and love them. I was thinking of upgrading my ALTA to the Tensi

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I've got a Alta CB 65 on my 410 driver, but Tensi shafts on my 410 hybrids and love them. I was thinking of upgrading my ALTA to the Tensi

Interesting you guys bring this up. I’m also thinking about trying different shaft on my Ping 410 plus. I’m not thrilled w the Alta CB stock shaft. I have a Tensi on a Cobra F8 that feels a lot better. Let’s see how this goes.

Rick

Left Hand, 

From my SuperSpeed review, but thought I should post it here too:

I've noticed a much higher flight than normal on the golf course from my driver over the last few rounds and I finally got on a launch monitor over the weekend.  It was only a GC2 so I could not get club information, but it confirmed that my launch and spin are up due to my increased spin.

After trading some emails with my fitter and instructor, I scored a G410 LST head to try (currently gaming a G410 Plus head).  The more forward CG of the LST should help lower my spin and launch into a better window with my new speed.  Excited to get it on the course.

Really interesting webinar from SuperSpeed on how new speed impacts club fitting.  Sounds about right based on what has happened with me!

https://superspeedgolf.com/blogs/news/webinar-8-how-new-speed-gains-affect-club-fitting

@jlukes

- great review! I have the G410+ as well; it’s by far the most forgiving driver I’ve ever hit! Wasn’t in love with even flow 6.0 that came with it, but since I put in the Tensei CK Pro TX 60 gram: it’s been the weapon long hitters dream of. I’m hitting 75% of fairways, and the other 25% aren’t far off. And my left miss is a thing of the past: I just play my cut and forget about the left side of the course.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

9 hours ago, Micah T said:

@jlukes

- great review! I have the G410+ as well; it’s by far the most forgiving driver I’ve ever hit! Wasn’t in love with even flow 6.0 that came with it, but since I put in the Tensei CK Pro TX 60 gram: it’s been the weapon long hitters dream of. I’m hitting 75% of fairways, and the other 25% aren’t far off. And my left miss is a thing of the past: I just play my cut and forget about the left side of the course.

Yeah the Evenflow shaft line is either a love or a hate. I don’t get along with them either. 

My LST head arrives today. Very excited to see how it performs

First range session with the LST head and I am extremely impressed.  Head looks only a hair smaller at address and sound is more solid.  Ball seemed flatter, but won't know for sure until I get on the course with real golf balls vs junk range balls.  What I am impressed with most is the forgiveness.  Did appear to be any less forgiving than the G410 Plus, and looking at the 2019 MGS Driver CG charts, that should come as no surprise.  Really impressed what Ping could accomplish in a lower spinning head

How much did that head cost you?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Found someone selling one for around $250

TY

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I’m going to try a couple of different shafts on my G410+ when I get a chance. The stock Ping Alta CB i think is a bit too light/whippy.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I’m going to try a couple of different shafts on my G410+ when I get a chance. The stock Ping Alta CB i think is a bit too light/whippy.

What length do you have, stock?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

What length do you have, stock?

Yup, std length, Alta CB55

Feels like a Orange Whip!

Rick

Left Hand,