Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 Driver

On 5/6/2019 at 11:27 AM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Can confirm, the confidence is high with this club. I've been in a funk for a few years where I just can't swing freely with the driver which is an absolute shame. Now, I'm having a lot of fun letting it rip. 

That is fantastic, I am going to a fitting on Tuesday, really looking forward to it.

• Like 2

Wish this sh***y weather would clear up so I can finish my SFT stage 2 testing! However I can confirm, just like fixyurdivot said - there's a very high confidence in this driver. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mick Close said:

That is fantastic, I am going to a fitting on Tuesday, really looking forward to it.

Is your fitting specifically for the G410?  If so, ask to try all of the no upcharge shaft options  they have available.  I chose not to try them based on my fitter comments but wish I had just to remove any doubts.  Have fun.

• Like 1

Good to see you adhere to the Ronco school of golf club buying Stud.

Haven’t heard that in years

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

my pro has a demo G410 driver- going to try a few holes with it shortly against my Titleist 910D3 (which misbehaved at the weekend by going towards trees, hugging the base of trees when it stopped, and hitting off trees and bouncing into thick thick rough).

Does it do this because it thinks it's made of wood and is trying to go 'home' 😂

• Like 3

On 5/11/2019 at 5:36 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Yesterday I managed to get my first round of 2019 in Montana at Madison Meadows (Ennis, MT). While still coughing quite a bit and feeling a bit tired, the weather was just too inviting not to give it a go. The course was near deserted allowing me to play a 2 ball game. Here were the results.

1211360028_MMscorecard.thumb.jpg.15093fb08babea885b12c289da1c033c.jpg

The dots indicate drives in the fairway - or close enough on a few that the first cut presented no disadvantage. The front 9 was played with my driver in the same lie/loft and neutral position I'd been using while in Yuma. For the back 9, I switched the moveable weight to the draw position.  The split box numbers were drive lengths for ball 1 and 2 on selected holes based on my Voice Buddy.

I really did not notice that much difference between the "neutral" and "draw" positions.  Most of my contact marks on the front 9 were mid/high towards the toe.  The marks in draw position were pretty similar - certainly not a definite shift.  I still plan to do another iron fitting soon and my fitter has offered to help with this review by capturing some ball flight data.  I think this will be much more telling than what I can assess out on the course.  

Hole 6 is the #1 and #2 handicap depending on the tee box.  I play this course from white, then blue tees.  The hole, a Z-shape, is really a challenge unless you can carry the ball a healthy 230 yards to clear the draw (canyon) and OB (fly the hill just right of the small shack).  Add to that, if you don't have a right to left ball flight and really drill it, you hit through the fairway and into a hazard.  It's a love/hate hole design!  Most players simply hit up the right side (fairway left of the house) with driver or 3w taking the long, precision drive out of the way.

Hole #6 Blue Tee

573156383_MMhole6tee.thumb.jpg.62b7b8540b06db27b54b0f6fc7ccc105.jpg

I normally opt for the right side but Driver X has given me some added confidence and we're in test mode.... so bombs away!  On the front 9, both drives from white cleared the corner, and found the small saddle area on the fairway (mid point in photo).  While happy with getting there, it was really not a great position for the second shot  as it leaves one down in a swale and completely blind to the rest of the fairway.  I managed a birdie on ball 2 with a lucky 30 ft chip in!  For some of you big bombers, this would be a fun hole.  For me, I'm playing up the right side from here on unless there is a healthy tailwind 😁.

Here's a few more pictures from the course.

Hole #5's Blind Tee Shot (Blue tee is about 20 ft higher, behind and to the right)

523309040_MMhole5tee.thumb.jpg.45a0f2b6dcdd427366b86dc09a0ab5d6.jpg

Looking back to Hole #6 tee (Madison Range in background)

225023062_MMhole6green.thumb.jpg.0f1235616493efbfe3d69eee5fac0276.jpg

Hole #5 green 1577647036_MMhole5green.thumb.jpg.a87c3b8685a2de7a81dd8c0bbcc8d904.jpg

The G410 continues to feel good to me and adding confidence to my drives.  I only had one drive that faded to any appreciable extent.  Most were pretty straight with just a whisker of right to left movement.  I'll try and get another round in at Beaverhead GC next week and perhaps repeat the neutral vs. draw change and see if it shows us something.

Thanks for following along!

Absolutely gorgeous scenery. One of the things I missed about being out West.

Confidence is a great thing. So much fun to step up to the tee box and know you're going to stripe it. As I mentioned in the Epic Flash thread, I'm experiencing the same. Sounds like the G410 is a winner as well.

• Like 3

New shaft finally arrived yesterday for my 410 SFT. Apparently delayed a week because Ping had a run of bad shafts. Can't wait to try it out for the first time tonight in Men's league.  

IMG_5957.JPG

• Like 7

Went to the range last night, going to the range again this afternoon, playing 18 Saturday morning and then playing in a scramble on Monday.

Will have my Stage 2 up Tuesday or Wednesday!

• Like 8

Played yesterday with the new cut down CB-55 R yesterday. OMG!  More details to come next week. 

• Like 4

Had the chance to play a couple of 9-hole rounds during the week with an associate up from San Diego. Unfortunately I seem to have fallen back to struggling with driver shots all of a sudden after a short period where it seemed to be coming around for me. I continue to swipe across the ball creating that unwanted "power-fade" (ie: slice-a-roni) more often than not. Mix that in with some well struck "normal" shots that go mostly straight and out to my standard 220-230, and then add some monster 250+ shots that start left and go miles straight OB and you begin to see my issues...🤬. My inconsistent driver swing is really making my overall evaluation of this club difficult and a lesson (or 12) is seriously in order to literally straighten me out. The draw-bias tech in this club seems to not be enough to compensate for my personal deficiencies. Right now I'm not sure any club would be able to do that...😩 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

For those of you that upgraded from the G400 or have tried the G400 at some point, do you see the g410 as something that’s worthy of switching? I’m guessing numbers wise they’re going to be similar but in terms of forgiveness and even ball shape with the adjustability?

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:32 PM, PAgolfer2017 said:

For those of you that upgraded from the G400 or have tried the G400 at some point, do you see the g410 as something that’s worthy of switching? I’m guessing numbers wise they’re going to be similar but in terms of forgiveness and even ball shape with the adjustability?

Great question.

My answer is: YES. For me, without question, the G410 outperformed my G400 driver mainly in the distance category. I had two range sessions on consecutive days where I was actually swinging well enough to observe a pretty dramatic and consistent difference between the two. I would clobber a 400 drive and only see my standard-issued 225-230 and then grab the 410 immediately and pound one 250..! No lie. The 410 is legit. I simply(?) have to re-find my earlier mojo & confidence with it. More to come on that and the increased adjustability in my stage-2.

• Like 2

Great question.
My answer is: YES. For me, without question, the G410 outperformed my G400 driver mainly in the distance category. I had two range sessions on consecutive days where I was actually swinging well enough to observe a pretty dramatic and consistent difference between the two. I would clobber a 400 drive and only see my standard-issued 225-230 and then grab the 410 immediately and pound one 250..! No lie. The 410 is legit. I simply(?) have to re-find my earlier mojo & confidence with it. More to come on that and the increased adjustability in my stage-2.

Way to throw a wrench in my plans haha. Was all ready to purchase a Tour Length F9. Was out yesterday with my G400 and couldn’t hit a thing. Gripped down about an inch and didn’t miss a fairway. Also found myself hitting further than I did last year. Wonder if I can order a shortened driver from Ping while still keeping the D3 swingweight...

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy