Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 Driver

On 5/6/2019 at 11:27 AM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Can confirm, the confidence is high with this club. I've been in a funk for a few years where I just can't swing freely with the driver which is an absolute shame. Now, I'm having a lot of fun letting it rip. 

That is fantastic, I am going to a fitting on Tuesday, really looking forward to it.

• Like 2

Wish this sh***y weather would clear up so I can finish my SFT stage 2 testing! However I can confirm, just like fixyurdivot said - there's a very high confidence in this driver. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Mick Close said:

That is fantastic, I am going to a fitting on Tuesday, really looking forward to it.

Is your fitting specifically for the G410?  If so, ask to try all of the no upcharge shaft options  they have available.  I chose not to try them based on my fitter comments but wish I had just to remove any doubts.  Have fun.

• Like 1

Good to see you adhere to the Ronco school of golf club buying Stud.

Haven’t heard that in years

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

my pro has a demo G410 driver- going to try a few holes with it shortly against my Titleist 910D3 (which misbehaved at the weekend by going towards trees, hugging the base of trees when it stopped, and hitting off trees and bouncing into thick thick rough).

Does it do this because it thinks it's made of wood and is trying to go 'home' 😂

• Like 4

On 5/11/2019 at 5:36 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Yesterday I managed to get my first round of 2019 in Montana at Madison Meadows (Ennis, MT). While still coughing quite a bit and feeling a bit tired, the weather was just too inviting not to give it a go. The course was near deserted allowing me to play a 2 ball game. Here were the results.

1211360028_MMscorecard.thumb.jpg.15093fb08babea885b12c289da1c033c.jpg

The dots indicate drives in the fairway - or close enough on a few that the first cut presented no disadvantage. The front 9 was played with my driver in the same lie/loft and neutral position I'd been using while in Yuma. For the back 9, I switched the moveable weight to the draw position.  The split box numbers were drive lengths for ball 1 and 2 on selected holes based on my Voice Buddy.

I really did not notice that much difference between the "neutral" and "draw" positions.  Most of my contact marks on the front 9 were mid/high towards the toe.  The marks in draw position were pretty similar - certainly not a definite shift.  I still plan to do another iron fitting soon and my fitter has offered to help with this review by capturing some ball flight data.  I think this will be much more telling than what I can assess out on the course.  

Hole 6 is the #1 and #2 handicap depending on the tee box.  I play this course from white, then blue tees.  The hole, a Z-shape, is really a challenge unless you can carry the ball a healthy 230 yards to clear the draw (canyon) and OB (fly the hill just right of the small shack).  Add to that, if you don't have a right to left ball flight and really drill it, you hit through the fairway and into a hazard.  It's a love/hate hole design!  Most players simply hit up the right side (fairway left of the house) with driver or 3w taking the long, precision drive out of the way.

Hole #6 Blue Tee

573156383_MMhole6tee.thumb.jpg.62b7b8540b06db27b54b0f6fc7ccc105.jpg

I normally opt for the right side but Driver X has given me some added confidence and we're in test mode.... so bombs away!  On the front 9, both drives from white cleared the corner, and found the small saddle area on the fairway (mid point in photo).  While happy with getting there, it was really not a great position for the second shot  as it leaves one down in a swale and completely blind to the rest of the fairway.  I managed a birdie on ball 2 with a lucky 30 ft chip in!  For some of you big bombers, this would be a fun hole.  For me, I'm playing up the right side from here on unless there is a healthy tailwind 😁.

Here's a few more pictures from the course.

Hole #5's Blind Tee Shot (Blue tee is about 20 ft higher, behind and to the right)

523309040_MMhole5tee.thumb.jpg.45a0f2b6dcdd427366b86dc09a0ab5d6.jpg

Looking back to Hole #6 tee (Madison Range in background)

225023062_MMhole6green.thumb.jpg.0f1235616493efbfe3d69eee5fac0276.jpg

Hole #5 green 1577647036_MMhole5green.thumb.jpg.a87c3b8685a2de7a81dd8c0bbcc8d904.jpg

The G410 continues to feel good to me and adding confidence to my drives.  I only had one drive that faded to any appreciable extent.  Most were pretty straight with just a whisker of right to left movement.  I'll try and get another round in at Beaverhead GC next week and perhaps repeat the neutral vs. draw change and see if it shows us something.

Thanks for following along!

Absolutely gorgeous scenery. One of the things I missed about being out West.

Confidence is a great thing. So much fun to step up to the tee box and know you're going to stripe it. As I mentioned in the Epic Flash thread, I'm experiencing the same. Sounds like the G410 is a winner as well.

• Like 3

New shaft finally arrived yesterday for my 410 SFT. Apparently delayed a week because Ping had a run of bad shafts. Can't wait to try it out for the first time tonight in Men's league.  

IMG_5957.JPG

• Like 9

Went to the range last night, going to the range again this afternoon, playing 18 Saturday morning and then playing in a scramble on Monday.

Will have my Stage 2 up Tuesday or Wednesday!

• Like 9

Played yesterday with the new cut down CB-55 R yesterday. OMG!  More details to come next week. 

• Like 5

Had the chance to play a couple of 9-hole rounds during the week with an associate up from San Diego. Unfortunately I seem to have fallen back to struggling with driver shots all of a sudden after a short period where it seemed to be coming around for me. I continue to swipe across the ball creating that unwanted "power-fade" (ie: slice-a-roni) more often than not. Mix that in with some well struck "normal" shots that go mostly straight and out to my standard 220-230, and then add some monster 250+ shots that start left and go miles straight OB and you begin to see my issues...🤬. My inconsistent driver swing is really making my overall evaluation of this club difficult and a lesson (or 12) is seriously in order to literally straighten me out. The draw-bias tech in this club seems to not be enough to compensate for my personal deficiencies. Right now I'm not sure any club would be able to do that...😩 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

For those of you that upgraded from the G400 or have tried the G400 at some point, do you see the g410 as something that’s worthy of switching? I’m guessing numbers wise they’re going to be similar but in terms of forgiveness and even ball shape with the adjustability?

• Like 2

On ‎05‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:32 PM, PAgolfer2017 said:

For those of you that upgraded from the G400 or have tried the G400 at some point, do you see the g410 as something that’s worthy of switching? I’m guessing numbers wise they’re going to be similar but in terms of forgiveness and even ball shape with the adjustability?

Great question.

My answer is: YES. For me, without question, the G410 outperformed my G400 driver mainly in the distance category. I had two range sessions on consecutive days where I was actually swinging well enough to observe a pretty dramatic and consistent difference between the two. I would clobber a 400 drive and only see my standard-issued 225-230 and then grab the 410 immediately and pound one 250..! No lie. The 410 is legit. I simply(?) have to re-find my earlier mojo & confidence with it. More to come on that and the increased adjustability in my stage-2.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

My Stage 2 Review is complete.

Great review Bud! Very well done and most informative! High standards for the rest of this lot!

• Like 1

Great question.
My answer is: YES. For me, without question, the G410 outperformed my G400 driver mainly in the distance category. I had two range sessions on consecutive days where I was actually swinging well enough to observe a pretty dramatic and consistent difference between the two. I would clobber a 400 drive and only see my standard-issued 225-230 and then grab the 410 immediately and pound one 250..! No lie. The 410 is legit. I simply(?) have to re-find my earlier mojo & confidence with it. More to come on that and the increased adjustability in my stage-2.

Way to throw a wrench in my plans haha. Was all ready to purchase a Tour Length F9. Was out yesterday with my G400 and couldn’t hit a thing. Gripped down about an inch and didn’t miss a fairway. Also found myself hitting further than I did last year. Wonder if I can order a shortened driver from Ping while still keeping the D3 swingweight...

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

Way to throw a wrench in my plans haha. Was all ready to purchase a Tour Length F9. Was out yesterday with my G400 and couldn’t hit a thing. Gripped down about an inch and didn’t miss a fairway. Also found myself hitting further than I did last year. Wonder if I can order a shortened driver from Ping while still keeping the D3 swingweight...

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I bet you can. They'd most likely match-up your desired swing weight with the appropriately sized counter-weight on the head. For instance, I requested my G410 be cut down by 1/2" which they did. The weight that came in my head is 13-grams and they listed my driver with a SW of D0 (std SW is D1) most likely because of the small mass removed from the shaft and 13 comes standard I'd guess. The weights I see offered on the after-market range from 10 to 16-grams and increment by 2, but it seems the PING factory has all options & sizes available. I'm sure they have the means to build you exactly what you want given all the available options. I see that today PING lists the newly released LST version of the 410 and it's standard SW is D3 to start like the "Plus" model is as well.

Glad you unlocked a "secret" with your G400 by gripping down. Perhaps even with my shorter shaft, I should try that myself and see if I can get back some control. Have you tried hitting a 410 yet?

• Like 1

I bet you can. They'd most likely match-up your desired swing weight with the appropriately sized counter-weight on the head. For instance, I requested my G410 be cut down by 1/2" which they did. The weight that came in my head is 13-grams and they listed my driver with a SW of D0 (std SW is D1) most likely because of the small mass removed from the shaft and 13 comes standard I'd guess. The weights I see offered on the after-market range from 10 to 16-grams and increment by 2, but it seems the PING factory has all options & sizes available. I'm sure they have the means to build you exactly what you want given all the available options. I see that today PING lists the newly released LST version of the 410 and it's standard SW is D3 to start like the "Plus" model is as well.
Glad you unlocked a "secret" with your G400 by gripping down. Perhaps even with my shorter shaft, I should try that myself and see if I can get back some control. Have you tried hitting a 410 yet?

I’ve hit it here and there but nothing in-depth. MAy run over to DSG today and jump on the launch monitor. Found a good deal on a tour length f9 so I’m gonna give that a go....but I’m really intrigued by Ping. So we’ll see what happens! Haha.

Also, I don’t swing fast by any stretch, but I’m curious how the LST performs too. Last years got such rave reviews. Might have to try that head out too. Hard part is many of the places near me don’t have a wide range of shafts. They pretty much have the Alta and the Tour 65.

2 hours ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

I’ve hit it here and there but nothing in-depth. MAy run over to DSG today and jump on the launch monitor. Found a good deal on a tour length f9 so I’m gonna give that a go....but I’m really intrigued by Ping. So we’ll see what happens! Haha.

Also, I don’t swing fast by any stretch, but I’m curious how the LST performs too. Last years got such rave reviews. Might have to try that head out too. Hard part is many of the places near me don’t have a wide range of shafts. They pretty much have the Alta and the Tour 65.

Yeah, I think we'll be hearing an awful lot about the LST 410's here in the next several months. Like you, I was impressed with how much "pub" it (the G400 LST) got last year, and if my personal findings between the 400 series and 410 line hold true for LST hitters, I bet we'll see many more converts out there.

Good luck with the F9! That club sounds like a winner too. Let us know how it flies.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 1:03 AM, tony@CIC said:

Welcome to Stage 2 of my review of the Ping SFT! Unlike other reviews, stories or articles, I’m going to give you my conclusion first and then tell you why.

Am I happy with the 410 SFT – NO I’m not.  I am THRILLED with it! There is nothing I don’t like about it.

https://vimeo.com/337165176 

So, a bit of background, for those of you that didn’t read my stage 1. I started my driver experience a few years ago with a G20 which was the result of my Club’s fitting day.  That driver went through literally tens of thousands of hits on both the driving range and the course. Many hits later and coupled with lessons, I still had a nagging slice.  Even more lessons later (I’m a slow learner), combined with a GBB which has lots of opportunities to eliminate the slice with an adjustable hosel and a sliding weight, the result was now a push fade. Oh and in between I had a lesson with a recommendation to use a stronger grip. Yup that takes care of the push fade and moves it into the pull hook category.  This is great - I now know that I can “work” the ball. Too bad I can only do it by accident!

But wait, after reading many tomes on shaft’s, with my low to mid 80’s SS I figured out that I needed a senior flex shaft. So now out goes the Hzrdus X Green stock shaft and in comes an Aldilla senior flex.  Yes, I know that I need some expert advice – but that’s the commonsense thing you do only after things don’t work out – right?

Ok, so here I am – late winter 2019 at the driving range with the Aldilla shaft in that GBB and they are mostly pull hooks. Not getting much distance but then it is winter = very cold and old range balls. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

And now a marvelous opportunity comes along from MGS to be a tester for the 410. (Note Mod’s have I told you how much I like you 😊). What’s not to like after all it’s always the arrow not the Indian right? This time I decide to go to a real fitter – too bad he’s booked until May 1st.   So, with SS in hand I go to the Ping site and follow their onsite fitting tool. The result is a 410 SFT with a Soft Flex (aka Senior), standard length shaft. Ok, I was good with that so off goes the spec to Golfspy Stroker. Order me up a SFT, standard length CB-55 shaft with the Jumbo GP Velvet Grip. Talk about speedy customer service – it only took a few days to arrive. Opps sorry Stroker did I forget to mention I’m a lefty - no problem Ping’s superior customer service came through, as they overnighted the new lefty SRT to me.  So on to the evaluation:

Let’s start with looks: Score = 9 out of 10

Perhaps it’s because I spent so much time with a beaten-up G20, I’m very comfortable with the matte finish. But then it’s not something I pay attention to as I’m standing over the ball.  Overall pretty standard Ping driver look with the “Turbulors” on top but with a striking series of red stripes on the bottom. As reported in my Stage 1, the stripes look good enough that you don’t want to put a cover over them.  The only thing better would be if they had red flames instead of stripes on the bottom.  The cover is a nice upgrade from previous years, incorporating the Ping 410 logo with red stripes and it slips on and off easily. I’m glad they did away with the old “sock” type of covers from years ago that were more difficult to take on and off.

ping_face.jpg.61ea8805ca39289b2455f878a81e2a12.jpg

Sound and Feel: Score = 9 out of 10

Before I got to the fitter, I had a chance to use the driver both at a range and on the course. I also took my GBB along on several occasions as a comparison. I quickly realized that even without the fitter dialing it in for me this club was going straighter than my GBB and my G20.  The one thing I really didn’t like about my GBB (outside of the pull hooks) was the sound – more dull than the sharp crisp sound I had with my G20. The sound of the SFT is a bit clunkier if you hit it off the toe but overall a much better sound experience.  I can tell, without looking up how I hit the ball – which as a side note helps me keep my head down.  I am hitting - the ball well. Is it the SFT or am I getting better? Not sure and who cares 😉.

IMG_5971.jpg.77ba8e74257ece129b06233e8c1de690.jpg

Basic Characteristics: Score = 18 out of 20

Thankfully, it’s now May 1st, so onto the fitter and none too soon because a big complaint is that I’m not getting the distance that I thought I would. This is my first real fitting session (I’m not counting Club fitting days) and initially it was a bit unusual because I’m hitting in front of an audience (a few “guests had stopped by). The result is I’m spraying the ball all over the place (see Trackman graph below).  Very Embarrassing! Finally, they leave, and I calm down and I’m driving the ball relatively straight. The first thing the fitter said to me is ‘you’re going to really make me work for this aren’t you’. He then proceeds to put me into a Ping 400 Max and Ping 410 Plus as a comparison to make sure I didn’t make a mistake ordering the SFT vs. the Plus.  Neither 400 or 410 Plus worked well for me and then he puts me into a Regular Flex CB-55 shaft on the SFT and I immediately pick up 14 yards of carry at 2 mph less of SS and a close dispersion.  He also stated that because of my swing (which he termed “violent”), I need a slightly shorter shaft,  so for $72 I ordered a 45 1/4” Regular Flex and as a result I should expect slightly more yardage gain.   Obviously, I need continued work on my swing especially on the “Attack Angle”, but the following trackman graph is very telling.  I only included the SR Flex shaft = dark green, the regular flex shaft = turquoise and final loft adjustment to the regular flex shaft = brown.  I didn’t include the other combinations as they weren’t relevant and would make the graph tougher to read. Additionally, there is a fair amount of dot overlap – however, the turquoise and brown dots are still representative. Obviously, the (somewhat faint) horizontal line represents center line and yardages. The brown dots were the result of the SFT set at 6* loft, which is what I’m sticking with since those drives are closest to the center 0 yds to approximately 15 yds right (draw).

Again, based on the numbers: Attack Angle, Face Angle, etc. I still have some work to do on my swing. However, regardless of the that, I am still more consistent and longer with the R Flex than I was with the SR Flex. And longer than my GBB and G20.

driver.jpg.9f5dbf581ba68bd7bfcce2bb0733644e.jpg

1373948175_shortLMdata.jpg.0f6ad7eb00e62e50d32f1e788dec318f.jpg

Note: My on-course results are averaging 200 + yds.

My score of 18/20 is based on the following;

The sound: it’s more of a thwack vs. a thud of the GBB.  Since not quite as crisp as my G20, but still nice.

Trajectory is high – but then that’s the result of both the shaft and the loft adjustments by the fitter and it’s working for me.

Accuracy: If I had to give marks for just this as a category it’d be 20/20. It is right on the money.  I am nailing the fairways right down the middle or close to it!

Adjustability: It’s currently dialed in by the fitter for optimization. Could I easily adjust it? Of course, but why would I want to since the fitter has it dialed in. However, keep in mind that the SFT doesn’t have a sliding weight, on the other hand I don’t think I need one.

On-Course Performance: Score = 40 out of 40

I don’t have access to ARCCOS or another measuring device so I’m including 2 pic’s of the GPS app for our course. As a point of reference, this hole #10 at our Club is a 462 yd par 5,– so the first night with the new R Flex shorter shaft, I drove it approx. 207 yds smack dab in the middle of the fairway. (A special note to Mods reading this, I’d like to be an Official Tester for ARCCOS  😎.  

This SRT, especially for high handicappers like myself, makes one want to do a happy dance!

distance.jpg.d8880583efe51a5a9bd7d8e621b2050e.jpg

This driver inspires my confidence and as a result I’m scoring better – that says it all! I have a high level of confidence that when I walk up to the tee I’m going to launch the ball straight and high. At this point, with really less than a month in (because of the shaft change), I would advise Ping not to change a thing when it comes to the actual club. Let me say this again: this SRT is straighter and longer than my GBB and G20. I see more GIR’s in my future.

On the other hand, I do feel that the online fitting tool steered me to the wrong shaft – the Senior Flex vs. a Regular Flex (cut down). I’m now even more convinced of the importance of a real fitting – not just a fitting day at the course or a casual tryout in a big box store.

Play it or Trade it? Score 20 out of 20  

You’ll have to pry this driver out of my hands before you get it back! I won’t even let my men’s league partner (who’s also a lefty) try it. I’m not going to give it up for anything!

Overall Score 96 out of 100

Guys, my stage 2 is up. Feel free to ask any questions on the 410 SFT

• Like 4