Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 Driver

Our Sponsors

At long last, following a summer of testing, my review is up for your consumption:

This is a beta test for a new review format for 2020.  One combined post that's easier to consume with steady discussion throughout.  Open to any comments you may have....and of course, any questions about G410+.  Thanks for reading.

• Like 5

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

At long last, following a summer of testing, my review is up for your consumption:

This is a beta test for a new review format for 2020.  One combined post that's easier to consume with steady discussion throughout.  Open to any comments you may have....and of course, any questions about G410+.  Thanks for reading.

First hand experience... witnessed those Whammy Shells that Stud is talking about in his review.

Much like the energizer bunny, his drives kept going and going and going...

On the review being a one big reveal, I like 1000%.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Also digging the new everything at the same time review format. Hopefully the rest of the forum members (non testers) keep up the participation if it goes live.

• Like 2

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Well done on the new format. You’re correct it is considerably easier to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I gotta agree with the others on the one big reveal being my choice.

• Like 2

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

I like the one big reveal with the review. Great job and love the video! It honestly doesn't sound that bad, but it could be that I'm comparing it to the Epic Flash Sub Zero that's in my bag. The biggest thing that matters is performance, and it sounds like you're getting it in spades.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

I would agree with others that the new format is easier to follow. I’ve been involved in lots of tests and the interest is often there early but not so much later on.

One shot after an early tease may be the way to go.

I’d thing the reader would need to know something about the reviewer - age, SS, location, handicap, what he was playing, was he fit for that, was he fit for the test club.

From there a combo of relevant data and reviewer opinion should do the trick. I also think it would be better if we could be a bit more timely with our reviews. Four weeks after the testers are announced with some exceptions (Super Speed). It keeps the interest peaked.

I’ve learned to focus in on reviewers whose games and playing style most approximate mine. So knowing that is extremely important for me. I will ask questions of guys whom I know and trust if there’s something particular that I want to know.

For example Csnoil is a two clubs longer than me but I trust his opinion about how forgiving an iron is or how a particular driver performs on miss hits.

I think Stud is spot on about miss hits with this driver - you feel them in your hands but somehow the ball seems to get out to its normal distance and in the fairway. It’s uncanny. I’d also like the weight to slide. I’m sure the sound will be a turn off for some - I usually don’t notice and the first shot with it scared me it was so loud.

I got used to it quickly when my fitter started giving me my numbers.

• Like 4

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

14 minutes ago, revkev said:

I think Stud is spot on about miss hits with this driver - you feel them in your hands but somehow the ball seems to get out to its normal distance and in the fairway. It’s uncanny. I’d also like the weight to slide.

I can also tell the mishits from the sound - especially toe hits. 

• Like 3

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

I just got a round in this week before the first snowstorm of the season is due to hit us.  It was a glorious early fall day and tough to imagine this unruly snowbeast heading our way... but it is indeed 😱.  Anyway, I digress.  I was hitting my G410P better than at any time since it found its way into my quiver.  I hit 13/18 fairways and those missed were not missed by much.  I was also getting some better than average distances; with one drive on #6 rolling out to 292 yards 🤩

An area I've been focusing on a lot this summer is cadence - as in slowing myself down on all shots.  I keep reminding myself what happens to fly casts that fail to allow the line to load the rod on the backstroke and are too quickly rushed forward.  I'm telling you, there is a direct correlation between golf swings and fly casting (I'm a scratch fly fisher).  I've also been focusing on lighter grip pressure; particularly my right hand.  I had cleaned up the club face prior to that round and my ball strikes were peppering the bullseye.  I've place this driving day into my RAM in hopes that I can recall the mojo.  Man, I really love this driver!

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

On 9/8/2019 at 4:47 PM, Shankster said:

On the review being a one big reveal, I like 1000%.

+1, I think this will be great.

• Like 1

I just got a round in this week before the first snowstorm of the season is due to hit us.  It was a glorious early fall day and tough to imagine this unruly snowbeast heading our way... but it is indeed .  Anyway, I digress.  I was hitting my G410P better than at any time since it found its way into my quiver.  I hit 13/18 fairways and those missed were not missed by much.  I was also getting some better than average distances; with one drive on #6 rolling out to 292 yards 🤩
An area I've been focusing on a lot this summer is cadence - as in slowing myself down on all shots.  I keep reminding myself what happens to fly casts that fail to allow the line to load the rod on the backstroke and are too quickly rushed forward.  I'm telling you, there is a direct correlation between golf swings and fly casting (I'm a scratch fly fisher).  I've also been focusing on lighter grip pressure; particularly my right hand.  I had cleaned up the club face prior to that round and my ball strikes were peppering the bullseye.  I've place this driving day into my RAM in hopes that I can recall the mojo.  Man, I really love this driver!

Glad it's finally worked out for you. I love my 410 and can't imagine a better driver. All of the guys I play with are just amazed at how straight my drives are - in fact yesterday my league partner asked me what the secret to my straight drives was. I told him I've been working on my swing . Don't want to tell him it's the driver

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Left Hand orientation

Well yesterday I had my best driving day of the season (and maybe my life).  I pulled the G410 9 times and hit 9 fairways, averaging about 280 yards with little to no roll-out thanks to the 1.5 inches of rain we got the day before.

Confidence is just incredible with this club and it keeps producing even as I go through swing changes.

• Like 9

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 Plus Ping 9* VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49 F - 54 S - 59 D
:mizuno-small: M Craft I
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

You guys got to me. I’m scheduling a fitting next week for one of these Bombs

• Like 5

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

3 hours ago, Rickp said:

You guys got to me. I’m scheduling a fitting next week for one of these Bombsemoji106.png

Don't know what you're gaming now but my sense is that you're going to LOVE everything about this driver. I have about 80 rounds with mine and lots of range time and my response to anyone wondering is "you're going to have to pry........ "  well you get it. 

Since we're roughly the same age, and I think close to the same SS, I'll be interested to hear what shaft they put you in. I've got the CB R Flex cut down about 1/2".  FYI I started out (for the official test) with the SR Flex - then I went to my fitter who put me into this current shaft.. 

• Like 4

Left Hand orientation

Don't know what you're gaming now but my sense is that you're going to LOVE everything about this driver. I have about 80 rounds with mine and lots of range time and my response to anyone wondering is "you're going to have to pry........ "  well you get it. 
Since we're roughly the same age, and I think close to the same SS, I'll be interested to hear what shaft they put you in. I've got the CB R Flex cut down about 1/2".  FYI I started out (for the official test) with the SR Flex - then I went to my fitter who put me into this current shaft.. 

My go to driver is Ping G, I also have a Cobra F8. The F8 is a bit longer but the G us a lot straighter.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

My go to driver is Ping G, I also have a Cobra F8. The F8 is a bit longer but the G us a lot straighter.

Well this will be straighter still

• Like 2

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

You guys got to me. I’m scheduling a fitting next week for one of these Bombs

Tuesday morning 8:30, Ping G410 fitting.
We got 8:30 because store doesn’t open until 9:00 so no distractions.

• Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Lots of pics, Trackman data and other details please

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Left Hand orientation

As I just got the weapon a week ago, I am starting out by leaving everything on my  G410 Plus in neutral settings until I am more sure how I hit this club.

Lately, I have been hitting some hooks as a result of a back muscle giving grief so that good hip turns through the drive were minimally, if at all, possible.

I am getting a good sense of what I may have to adjust, but the ease of swinging this monster seems to want to make me wait for a while.

So far, I am getting a bit of a strong draw, but not a lot of gawd awful hooks to sense a full pattern.

To be honest, I need to work out ways to get a little more distance.  But no adjustment until I feel better tuned to the clubs a whole.

BTW, love the club! It not only lives up to the MGS reviews, to me, it swell worth its price.

cartoon0708.png.7251ed64d61e82e27b9c7593a8b3f72f.png

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

21 hours ago, Rickp said:

Go ahead and make out the check now... you're going to love it.  Please do share your fitting experience and data. 👍

• Like 2