Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 Driver

At long last, following a summer of testing, my review is up for your consumption:

This is a beta test for a new review format for 2020.  One combined post that's easier to consume with steady discussion throughout.  Open to any comments you may have....and of course, any questions about G410+.  Thanks for reading.

• Like 5

At long last, following a summer of testing, my review is up for your consumption:

This is a beta test for a new review format for 2020.  One combined post that's easier to consume with steady discussion throughout.  Open to any comments you may have....and of course, any questions about G410+.  Thanks for reading.

First hand experience... witnessed those Whammy Shells that Stud is talking about in his review.

Much like the energizer bunny, his drives kept going and going and going...

On the review being a one big reveal, I like 1000%.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Also digging the new everything at the same time review format. Hopefully the rest of the forum members (non testers) keep up the participation if it goes live.

• Like 2

Well done on the new format. You’re correct it is considerably easier to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

I like the one big reveal with the review. Great job and love the video! It honestly doesn't sound that bad, but it could be that I'm comparing it to the Epic Flash Sub Zero that's in my bag. The biggest thing that matters is performance, and it sounds like you're getting it in spades.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

I would agree with others that the new format is easier to follow. I’ve been involved in lots of tests and the interest is often there early but not so much later on.

One shot after an early tease may be the way to go.

I’d thing the reader would need to know something about the reviewer - age, SS, location, handicap, what he was playing, was he fit for that, was he fit for the test club.

From there a combo of relevant data and reviewer opinion should do the trick. I also think it would be better if we could be a bit more timely with our reviews. Four weeks after the testers are announced with some exceptions (Super Speed). It keeps the interest peaked.

I’ve learned to focus in on reviewers whose games and playing style most approximate mine. So knowing that is extremely important for me. I will ask questions of guys whom I know and trust if there’s something particular that I want to know.

For example Csnoil is a two clubs longer than me but I trust his opinion about how forgiving an iron is or how a particular driver performs on miss hits.

I think Stud is spot on about miss hits with this driver - you feel them in your hands but somehow the ball seems to get out to its normal distance and in the fairway. It’s uncanny. I’d also like the weight to slide. I’m sure the sound will be a turn off for some - I usually don’t notice and the first shot with it scared me it was so loud.

I got used to it quickly when my fitter started giving me my numbers.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, revkev said:

I think Stud is spot on about miss hits with this driver - you feel them in your hands but somehow the ball seems to get out to its normal distance and in the fairway. It’s uncanny. I’d also like the weight to slide.

I can also tell the mishits from the sound - especially toe hits. 

• Like 3

I just got a round in this week before the first snowstorm of the season is due to hit us.  It was a glorious early fall day and tough to imagine this unruly snowbeast heading our way... but it is indeed 😱.  Anyway, I digress.  I was hitting my G410P better than at any time since it found its way into my quiver.  I hit 13/18 fairways and those missed were not missed by much.  I was also getting some better than average distances; with one drive on #6 rolling out to 292 yards 🤩

An area I've been focusing on a lot this summer is cadence - as in slowing myself down on all shots.  I keep reminding myself what happens to fly casts that fail to allow the line to load the rod on the backstroke and are too quickly rushed forward.  I'm telling you, there is a direct correlation between golf swings and fly casting (I'm a scratch fly fisher).  I've also been focusing on lighter grip pressure; particularly my right hand.  I had cleaned up the club face prior to that round and my ball strikes were peppering the bullseye.  I've place this driving day into my RAM in hopes that I can recall the mojo.  Man, I really love this driver!

• Like 2

On 9/8/2019 at 4:47 PM, Shankster said:

On the review being a one big reveal, I like 1000%.

+1, I think this will be great.

• Like 1

I just got a round in this week before the first snowstorm of the season is due to hit us.  It was a glorious early fall day and tough to imagine this unruly snowbeast heading our way... but it is indeed .  Anyway, I digress.  I was hitting my G410P better than at any time since it found its way into my quiver.  I hit 13/18 fairways and those missed were not missed by much.  I was also getting some better than average distances; with one drive on #6 rolling out to 292 yards 🤩
An area I've been focusing on a lot this summer is cadence - as in slowing myself down on all shots.  I keep reminding myself what happens to fly casts that fail to allow the line to load the rod on the backstroke and are too quickly rushed forward.  I'm telling you, there is a direct correlation between golf swings and fly casting (I'm a scratch fly fisher).  I've also been focusing on lighter grip pressure; particularly my right hand.  I had cleaned up the club face prior to that round and my ball strikes were peppering the bullseye.  I've place this driving day into my RAM in hopes that I can recall the mojo.  Man, I really love this driver!

Glad it's finally worked out for you. I love my 410 and can't imagine a better driver. All of the guys I play with are just amazed at how straight my drives are - in fact yesterday my league partner asked me what the secret to my straight drives was. I told him I've been working on my swing . Don't want to tell him it's the driver

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well yesterday I had my best driving day of the season (and maybe my life).  I pulled the G410 9 times and hit 9 fairways, averaging about 280 yards with little to no roll-out thanks to the 1.5 inches of rain we got the day before.

Confidence is just incredible with this club and it keeps producing even as I go through swing changes.

• Like 9

You guys got to me. I’m scheduling a fitting next week for one of these Bombs

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Rickp said:

You guys got to me. I’m scheduling a fitting next week for one of these Bombsemoji106.png

Don't know what you're gaming now but my sense is that you're going to LOVE everything about this driver. I have about 80 rounds with mine and lots of range time and my response to anyone wondering is "you're going to have to pry........ "  well you get it. 

Since we're roughly the same age, and I think close to the same SS, I'll be interested to hear what shaft they put you in. I've got the CB R Flex cut down about 1/2".  FYI I started out (for the official test) with the SR Flex - then I went to my fitter who put me into this current shaft.. 

• Like 4

Don't know what you're gaming now but my sense is that you're going to LOVE everything about this driver. I have about 80 rounds with mine and lots of range time and my response to anyone wondering is "you're going to have to pry........ "  well you get it. 
Since we're roughly the same age, and I think close to the same SS, I'll be interested to hear what shaft they put you in. I've got the CB R Flex cut down about 1/2".  FYI I started out (for the official test) with the SR Flex - then I went to my fitter who put me into this current shaft.. 

My go to driver is Ping G, I also have a Cobra F8. The F8 is a bit longer but the G us a lot straighter.

• Like 1

My go to driver is Ping G, I also have a Cobra F8. The F8 is a bit longer but the G us a lot straighter.

Well this will be straighter still

• Like 2

You guys got to me. I’m scheduling a fitting next week for one of these Bombs

Tuesday morning 8:30, Ping G410 fitting.
We got 8:30 because store doesn’t open until 9:00 so no distractions.

• Like 4

Lots of pics, Trackman data and other details please

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

As I just got the weapon a week ago, I am starting out by leaving everything on my  G410 Plus in neutral settings until I am more sure how I hit this club.

Lately, I have been hitting some hooks as a result of a back muscle giving grief so that good hip turns through the drive were minimally, if at all, possible.

I am getting a good sense of what I may have to adjust, but the ease of swinging this monster seems to want to make me wait for a while.

So far, I am getting a bit of a strong draw, but not a lot of gawd awful hooks to sense a full pattern.

To be honest, I need to work out ways to get a little more distance.  But no adjustment until I feel better tuned to the clubs a whole.

BTW, love the club! It not only lives up to the MGS reviews, to me, it swell worth its price.

cartoon0708.png.7251ed64d61e82e27b9c7593a8b3f72f.png

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, Rickp said:

Go ahead and make out the check now... you're going to love it.  Please do share your fitting experience and data. 👍

• Like 2