Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 Driver

43 minutes ago, goaliewales14 said:

Could you do a blind test on us?  Just record the sound and put a voting thing out there to see which one we like the best.

That's a heck of a good suggestion! I'll put something together for y'all, you bet!

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 9:30 AM, PING Apologist #9 said:

Fellow testers,

@jlukes, @tony@CIC, @fixyurdivot, @GolfSpy STUDque & @Golfspy_CG2, anyone beside myself hating the sound of this driver? I've not heard anyone pipe up about it thus far, but for me it's almost as obnoxious sounding as my old G-Series that I just couldn't stand. To me, PING has stepped backward with this aesthetic where the 400 had a more muted tone to it which was a major reason I got it last year. I plan on doing a comparison between the sound each makes in my pending stage-2, but so far the "tinny" report this thing makes is just not pleasing at all. Thoughts?

I really haven't noticed a significant difference between it and my Callaway Razr-Fit.  I agree it's a bit more "tinny", but not an issue for me. I really don't pay much attention to club sound - particularly if the club is hitting long and straight.  😉

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, jlukes said:

What has two thumbs, just had his Accra tz5 M5 delivered and is about to head to the range for a G410 session? 

This guy! 

Will have a writeup later tonight or tomorrow morning about my round from Friday and today's range session. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

To me, this sound is intoxicating. I find it very pleasing on the ear and not harsh at all. To me, it sounds even better with a urethane tour ball and I'll capture one or two swings next time on the course for that sound. 

12g weight in the toe. Swingweight D4 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

To me, this sound is intoxicating. I find it very pleasing on the ear and not harsh at all. To me, it sounds even better with a urethane tour ball and I'll capture one or two swings next time on the course for that sound. 

From that angle/video, it sounds similar to the Epic Flash. Have you had a chance to hear them side-by-side?

2 minutes ago, edingc said:

From that angle/video, it sounds similar to the Epic Flash. Have you had a chance to hear them side-by-side?

Yes.  Different sound.  Ping has a tad more "pingy" sound (Ping has a titanium crown) while the Callaway is definitely more of a duller "thwack" sound you get from the carbon fiber crown it has.  For the record, I absolutely hate the sound and feel so the Callaway drivers.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jlukes said:

Yep that still sounds higher pitched than the 400 but it does sound good.... especially when you hit it!! 😁😎

• Like 1

nice write up- thanks for sharing the sound- not sure I could live with that sound, it might be different in person though.

Damn Joe... that’s crispy sounding. Love it.

• Like 2

Well I was going to put some music on today, but I think I'll turn up the volume and put the sound of that 410 on repeat.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Round Recap - April 19th
I got a last minute invite to play on Good Friday and who was I to say know.  Temps started in the mid 50s and finished in the high 60s.  Winds were 10-15 MPH with gusts around 25 mph.
I shot 4 over (76) for my best round of the year.  But you guys don't come to this thread to hear how I played, you come hear for my thoughts on the G410.  Well here we go...
It is the real deal. 
This round was still with the Ping Tour shaft, so while it fit me, I knew that I would have an even better fit once my ACCRA arrived.  I think the Ping Tour shaft is a fantastic no-upcharge shaft.  It is going to fit a wide variety of golfers and can handle some pretty aggressive swings.
The driver head? Well so far it has lived up to the billing.  I played the round with the weight in the toe (fade position) and with the hosel at neutral at the settings were an absolutely dream for me.  I missed one fairway all day with the driver.  ONE. 1.  Uno.  And it was on 18 with a 25MPH wind in our face and water down the entire left hand side.  I missed right.  5 yards off the fairway.  Exactly where I aimed it to take the water out of play.   It was the single best driving day I have ever had.  Moving from the flat to the neutral hosel setting definitely helped improve my start line better and I saw the draws I am used to.  Really happy with the adjustability of this head.
As for distance?   Yes, some where wind aided, but I hit 4 of the longest drives I have ever hit in my life.  I hit 4 drives over 330 yards and 2 of those measured at over 340!  To give some perspective, my buddy who normally drives it around 260 hit drives of around 275-285 on those holes.  Into the wind I still hit some fantastic drives that still got out over 260 which I was pleasantly surprised with.  The Ping G410 Plus provides me such a great balance of distance and stability.  It is low spin enough to let me hit some absolutely bombs, but not super low spin to the point where I cannot control it.  I hit a couple toe balls and they still stayed in the air for a good amount of time and didn't duck hook left like it would have with some other drivers.  I chalk that up to the head design and the moveable weights.
All in all, just super happy with everything about the G410 right now and knew things were only going to get better as my fitted shaft was set to arrive on Monday.   
That leads us to....

Range Recap - April 22nd
The mailman dropped of my shaft at 2pm and I immediately opened it up and popped in in the G410 head.  I grabbed the rest of my clubs, told my wife I loved here and rushed out the door to my driving range.  I warmed up through the bag then finally got to the G410.  She had just performed so well for me on Friday, so how was she going to behave today with the new shaft?
Well to sum it up,  I eventually had to stop hitting driver because I had a little wind at my back and I was hitting the limited distance range balls over the hill/fence at the back of the range onto railroad tracks. Fence was at 265.  I have a great relationship with the folks that run my range so I didn't want to lose any more of their range balls!
While I mentioned I could absolutely game the Ping Tour 65x shaft if that was my only option (see round performance above  ), I knew that the best review of the Ping G410 Plus head would only come if I was truly optimized with the right shaft.  At club champion I got fit with the ACCRA TZ5 65 M5 and you can check out my thoughts as to why I selected that shaft here:  April 5th - Shaft Testing at Club Champion
IMG_20190422_145456.thumb.jpg.06be6fd022a5e12e9877a4dfab0df926.jpg

Now that I was truly swinging freely with absolute confidence in the shaft, the Ping G410 Plus driver head began to shine brighter than ever before.  Just beautiful high baby draws and baby fades.  It saw smiling from ear to ear.  I have hit many many many drivers on this range over the last 6+ years and I have never seen balls land where they were landing (or presumably landing, as I couldn't see the ones that were coming down in the trees and on the railroad tracks over the fence in the back).  I cannot wait to get this combination out on the course.
As I mentioned above in my round recap, the G410 Plus definitely retains a lot of the forgiveness/stability properties from its older brother, the G400 Max.  Hits low on the face still launched relatively high and travel a better than acceptable distance.  Toe hits stay in the air longer than you would expect.  Just a really well balanced driver. 
IMG_20190422_145516.jpg.0fe610fa07cfe7dccd8323632603d6f5.jpg
For the sake of testing, I did play around with some other settings.  I lofted down which opened the face and immediately noticed much more fades.  I have to say it wasn't a ball flight I am used to seeing or practicing with so I set the sleeve back to neutral.  I definitely want to experiment with that setting some more - perhaps opening the face and then moving the weight to neutral to balance it out a little.  
I posted this video clip yesterday, but I'll post it here again - I captured the sound when hitting range balls.  Definitely sounds different than  a lot of the drivers on the market, but that is mainly because it doesn't have a carbon fiber crown - the crown of the G410 is Titanium.
[/url] All in all, testing could not have gotten off to a better start.  Everything Ping has claimed in their marketing materials seems to be valid.   I never gamed a Ping club before this driver test, and now I am wondering why I never gave Ping a chance before.  I guess I thought a lot of their design stuff was gimmicky and flashy, but I am beginning to see that there is a method to their madness.
As always, please ask me any and all questions and I will do my best to answer them as thoroughly as possible

I’m going to have a few questions maybe next month when Doc lets me loose.
My biggest question is which 410 to look at and if my swing and swing speed has remained the same.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, jlukes said:

I never gamed a Ping club before this driver test, and now I am wondering why I never gave Ping a chance before.

You're probably starting to give some serious thought to a used set of PE2's about now... right? 😉

• Like 3

Round Recap - April 19th I got a last minute invite to play on Good Friday and who was I to say know.  Temps started in the mid 50s and finished in the high 60s.  Winds were 10-15 MPH with gusts around 25 mph.

I shot 4 over (76) for my best round of the year.  But you guys don't come to this thread to hear how I played, you come hear for my thoughts on the G410.  Well here we go...

It is the real deal. 

This round was still with the Ping Tour shaft, so while it fit me, I knew that I would have an even better fit once my ACCRA arrived.  I think the Ping Tour shaft is a fantastic no-upcharge shaft.  It is going to fit a wide variety of golfers and can handle some pretty aggressive swings.

The driver head? Well so far it has lived up to the billing.  I played the round with the weight in the toe (fade position) and with the hosel at neutral at the settings were an absolutely dream for me.  I missed one fairway all day with the driver.  ONE. 1.  Uno.  And it was on 18 with a 25MPH wind in our face and water down the entire left hand side.  I missed right.  5 yards off the fairway.  Exactly where I aimed it to take the water out of play.   It was the single best driving day I have ever had.  Moving from the flat to the neutral hosel setting definitely helped improve my start line better and I saw the draws I am used to.  Really happy with the adjustability of this head.

As for distance?   Yes, some where wind aided, but I hit 4 of the longest drives I have ever hit in my life.  I hit 4 drives over 330 yards and 2 of those measured at over 340!  To give some perspective, my buddy who normally drives it around 260 hit drives of around 275-285 on those holes.  Into the wind I still hit some fantastic drives that still got out over 260 which I was pleasantly surprised with.  The Ping G410 Plus provides me such a great balance of distance and stability.  It is low spin enough to let me hit some absolutely bombs, but not super low spin to the point where I cannot control it.  I hit a couple toe balls and they still stayed in the air for a good amount of time and didn't duck hook left like it would have with some other drivers.  I chalk that up to the head design and the moveable weights.

All in all, just super happy with everything about the G410 right now and knew things were only going to get better as my fitted shaft was set to arrive on Monday.   

That leads us to....

Range Recap - April 22nd

The mailman dropped of my shaft at 2pm and I immediately opened it up and popped in in the G410 head.  I grabbed the rest of my clubs, told my wife I loved here and rushed out the door to my driving range.  I warmed up through the bag then finally got to the G410.  She had just performed so well for me on Friday, so how was she going to behave today with the new shaft?

Well to sum it up,  I eventually had to stop hitting driver because I had a little wind at my back and I was hitting the limited distance range balls over the hill/fence at the back of the range onto railroad tracks. Fence was at 265.  I have a great relationship with the folks that run my range so I didn't want to lose any more of their range balls!

While I mentioned I could absolutely game the Ping Tour 65x shaft if that was my only option (see round performance above  ), I knew that the best review of the Ping G410 Plus head would only come if I was truly optimized with the right shaft.  At club champion I got fit with the ACCRA TZ5 65 M5 and you can check out my thoughts as to why I selected that shaft here:  April 5th - Shaft Testing at Club Champion

IMG_20190422_145456.thumb.jpg.06be6fd022a5e12e9877a4dfab0df926.jpg

Now that I was truly swinging freely with absolute confidence in the shaft, the Ping G410 Plus driver head began to shine brighter than ever before.  Just beautiful high baby draws and baby fades.  It saw smiling from ear to ear.  I have hit many many many drivers on this range over the last 6+ years and I have never seen balls land where they were landing (or presumably landing, as I couldn't see the ones that were coming down in the trees and on the railroad tracks over the fence in the back).  I cannot wait to get this combination out on the course.

As I mentioned above in my round recap, the G410 Plus definitely retains a lot of the forgiveness/stability properties from its older brother, the G400 Max.  Hits low on the face still launched relatively high and travel a better than acceptable distance.  Toe hits stay in the air longer than you would expect.  Just a really well balanced driver. 

IMG_20190422_145516.jpg.0fe610fa07cfe7dccd8323632603d6f5.jpg

For the sake of testing, I did play around with some other settings.  I lofted down which opened the face and immediately noticed much more fades.  I have to say it wasn't a ball flight I am used to seeing or practicing with so I set the sleeve back to neutral.  I definitely want to experiment with that setting some more - perhaps opening the face and then moving the weight to neutral to balance it out a little.  

I posted this video clip yesterday, but I'll post it here again - I captured the sound when hitting range balls.  Definitely sounds different than  a lot of the drivers on the market, but that is mainly because it doesn't have a carbon fiber crown - the crown of the G410 is Titanium.

[/url] All in all, testing could not have gotten off to a better start.  Everything Ping has claimed in their marketing materials seems to be valid.   I never gamed a Ping club before this driver test, and now I am wondering why I never gave Ping a chance before.  I guess I thought a lot of their design stuff was gimmicky and flashy, but I am beginning to see that there is a method to their madness.

As always, please ask me any and all questions and I will do my best to answer them as thoroughly as possible

Joe I'm envious of the results with your new shaft.

As I've reported out earlier the 410 SFT is very straight. Except for a few hits including a shank straight into the water I've been very pleased with probably 10 rounds.

IMG_4761.thumb.JPG.19bdd6b48c76ab4782e4dd4997961dd5.JPG

As a comparison I had both my SFT and my GBB with me tonight on the course which I had set to neutral on the sliding weight so it should have been a close comparison given similar shaft flex. The SFT was slightly longer and was straighter than the GBB. Also at that setting the GBB was resulting in a slight pull.

I am a bit frustrated with my distance. Not sure if it's the weather, or the shaft flex (I have a senior flex in my GBB as well). Given my SS which is low to mid 80', the recommendation was a SR flex. It's another week before I can get to the fitter, but it'll be interesting what his recommendation is.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 9

Guys this is a great thread and I love the updates you are all putting out. Keep up the excellent work everyone, I'm now anxiously looking up when the next Ping fitting date is close to me!

• Like 3

I'll have a full write-up on Sunday or Monday, but I played this morning and I'm still smiling. 

This G410/Accra tz5 combo is stupid for me. Played this morning at my home course. On this one par 5 I normally hit 3hybrid to the green in two after I hit a good drive. Today I hit 5 iron...

• Like 7

4 hours ago, jlukes said:

I'll have a full write-up on Sunday or Monday, but I played this morning and I'm still smiling. 

This G410/Accra tz5 combo is stupid for me. Played this morning at my home course. On this one par 5 I normally hit 3hybrid to the green in two after I hit a good drive. Today I hit 5 iron...

Did you say that the 410 is going longer than th g400 max? If so, what kind of gains are you seeing?

• Like 1

Just now, Sluggo42 said:

Did you say that the 410 is going longer than th g400 max? If so, what kind of gains are you seeing?

Never gamed the Max. Never gamed any Ping club before this test 

• Like 1