TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 Driver

Had the chance to play a couple of 9-hole rounds during the week with an associate up from San Diego. Unfortunately I seem to have fallen back to struggling with driver shots all of a sudden after a short period where it seemed to be coming around for me. I continue to swipe across the ball creating that unwanted "power-fade" (ie: slice-a-roni) more often than not. Mix that in with some well struck "normal" shots that go mostly straight and out to my standard 220-230, and then add some monster 250+ shots that start left and go miles straight OB and you begin to see my issues...🤬. My inconsistent driver swing is really making my overall evaluation of this club difficult and a lesson (or 12) is seriously in order to literally straighten me out. The draw-bias tech in this club seems to not be enough to compensate for my personal deficiencies. Right now I'm not sure any club would be able to do that...😩 

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

For those of you that upgraded from the G400 or have tried the G400 at some point, do you see the g410 as something that’s worthy of switching? I’m guessing numbers wise they’re going to be similar but in terms of forgiveness and even ball shape with the adjustability?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

My Stage 2 Review is complete.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On ‎05‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:32 PM, PAgolfer2017 said:

For those of you that upgraded from the G400 or have tried the G400 at some point, do you see the g410 as something that’s worthy of switching? I’m guessing numbers wise they’re going to be similar but in terms of forgiveness and even ball shape with the adjustability?

Great question.

My answer is: YES. For me, without question, the G410 outperformed my G400 driver mainly in the distance category. I had two range sessions on consecutive days where I was actually swinging well enough to observe a pretty dramatic and consistent difference between the two. I would clobber a 400 drive and only see my standard-issued 225-230 and then grab the 410 immediately and pound one 250..! No lie. The 410 is legit. I simply(?) have to re-find my earlier mojo & confidence with it. More to come on that and the increased adjustability in my stage-2.

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

My Stage 2 Review is complete.

Great review Bud! Very well done and most informative! High standards for the rest of this lot!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Great question.
My answer is: YES. For me, without question, the G410 outperformed my G400 driver mainly in the distance category. I had two range sessions on consecutive days where I was actually swinging well enough to observe a pretty dramatic and consistent difference between the two. I would clobber a 400 drive and only see my standard-issued 225-230 and then grab the 410 immediately and pound one 250..! No lie. The 410 is legit. I simply(?) have to re-find my earlier mojo & confidence with it. More to come on that and the increased adjustability in my stage-2.

Way to throw a wrench in my plans haha. Was all ready to purchase a Tour Length F9. Was out yesterday with my G400 and couldn’t hit a thing. Gripped down about an inch and didn’t miss a fairway. Also found myself hitting further than I did last year. Wonder if I can order a shortened driver from Ping while still keeping the D3 swingweight...

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

23 hours ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

Way to throw a wrench in my plans haha. Was all ready to purchase a Tour Length F9. Was out yesterday with my G400 and couldn’t hit a thing. Gripped down about an inch and didn’t miss a fairway. Also found myself hitting further than I did last year. Wonder if I can order a shortened driver from Ping while still keeping the D3 swingweight...

I bet you can. They'd most likely match-up your desired swing weight with the appropriately sized counter-weight on the head. For instance, I requested my G410 be cut down by 1/2" which they did. The weight that came in my head is 13-grams and they listed my driver with a SW of D0 (std SW is D1) most likely because of the small mass removed from the shaft and 13 comes standard I'd guess. The weights I see offered on the after-market range from 10 to 16-grams and increment by 2, but it seems the PING factory has all options & sizes available. I'm sure they have the means to build you exactly what you want given all the available options. I see that today PING lists the newly released LST version of the 410 and it's standard SW is D3 to start like the "Plus" model is as well.

Glad you unlocked a "secret" with your G400 by gripping down. Perhaps even with my shorter shaft, I should try that myself and see if I can get back some control. Have you tried hitting a 410 yet?

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

I bet you can. They'd most likely match-up your desired swing weight with the appropriately sized counter-weight on the head. For instance, I requested my G410 be cut down by 1/2" which they did. The weight that came in my head is 13-grams and they listed my driver with a SW of D0 (std SW is D1) most likely because of the small mass removed from the shaft and 13 comes standard I'd guess. The weights I see offered on the after-market range from 10 to 16-grams and increment by 2, but it seems the PING factory has all options & sizes available. I'm sure they have the means to build you exactly what you want given all the available options. I see that today PING lists the newly released LST version of the 410 and it's standard SW is D3 to start like the "Plus" model is as well.
Glad you unlocked a "secret" with your G400 by gripping down. Perhaps even with my shorter shaft, I should try that myself and see if I can get back some control. Have you tried hitting a 410 yet?

I’ve hit it here and there but nothing in-depth. MAy run over to DSG today and jump on the launch monitor. Found a good deal on a tour length f9 so I’m gonna give that a go....but I’m really intrigued by Ping. So we’ll see what happens! Haha.

Also, I don’t swing fast by any stretch, but I’m curious how the LST performs too. Last years got such rave reviews. Might have to try that head out too. Hard part is many of the places near me don’t have a wide range of shafts. They pretty much have the Alta and the Tour 65.

2 hours ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

I’ve hit it here and there but nothing in-depth. MAy run over to DSG today and jump on the launch monitor. Found a good deal on a tour length f9 so I’m gonna give that a go....but I’m really intrigued by Ping. So we’ll see what happens! Haha.

Also, I don’t swing fast by any stretch, but I’m curious how the LST performs too. Last years got such rave reviews. Might have to try that head out too. Hard part is many of the places near me don’t have a wide range of shafts. They pretty much have the Alta and the Tour 65.

Yeah, I think we'll be hearing an awful lot about the LST 410's here in the next several months. Like you, I was impressed with how much "pub" it (the G400 LST) got last year, and if my personal findings between the 400 series and 410 line hold true for LST hitters, I bet we'll see many more converts out there.

Good luck with the F9! That club sounds like a winner too. Let us know how it flies.

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

On 4/3/2019 at 1:03 AM, tony@CIC said:

Welcome to Stage 2 of my review of the Ping SFT! Unlike other reviews, stories or articles, I’m going to give you my conclusion first and then tell you why.

Am I happy with the 410 SFT – NO I’m not.  I am THRILLED with it! There is nothing I don’t like about it.

https://vimeo.com/337165176 

So, a bit of background, for those of you that didn’t read my stage 1. I started my driver experience a few years ago with a G20 which was the result of my Club’s fitting day.  That driver went through literally tens of thousands of hits on both the driving range and the course. Many hits later and coupled with lessons, I still had a nagging slice.  Even more lessons later (I’m a slow learner), combined with a GBB which has lots of opportunities to eliminate the slice with an adjustable hosel and a sliding weight, the result was now a push fade. Oh and in between I had a lesson with a recommendation to use a stronger grip. Yup that takes care of the push fade and moves it into the pull hook category.  This is great - I now know that I can “work” the ball. Too bad I can only do it by accident!

But wait, after reading many tomes on shaft’s, with my low to mid 80’s SS I figured out that I needed a senior flex shaft. So now out goes the Hzrdus X Green stock shaft and in comes an Aldilla senior flex.  Yes, I know that I need some expert advice – but that’s the commonsense thing you do only after things don’t work out – right?

Ok, so here I am – late winter 2019 at the driving range with the Aldilla shaft in that GBB and they are mostly pull hooks. Not getting much distance but then it is winter = very cold and old range balls. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

And now a marvelous opportunity comes along from MGS to be a tester for the 410. (Note Mod’s have I told you how much I like you 😊). What’s not to like after all it’s always the arrow not the Indian right? This time I decide to go to a real fitter – too bad he’s booked until May 1st.   So, with SS in hand I go to the Ping site and follow their onsite fitting tool. The result is a 410 SFT with a Soft Flex (aka Senior), standard length shaft. Ok, I was good with that so off goes the spec to Golfspy Stroker. Order me up a SFT, standard length CB-55 shaft with the Jumbo GP Velvet Grip. Talk about speedy customer service – it only took a few days to arrive. Opps sorry Stroker did I forget to mention I’m a lefty - no problem Ping’s superior customer service came through, as they overnighted the new lefty SRT to me.  So on to the evaluation:

Let’s start with looks: Score = 9 out of 10

Perhaps it’s because I spent so much time with a beaten-up G20, I’m very comfortable with the matte finish. But then it’s not something I pay attention to as I’m standing over the ball.  Overall pretty standard Ping driver look with the “Turbulors” on top but with a striking series of red stripes on the bottom. As reported in my Stage 1, the stripes look good enough that you don’t want to put a cover over them.  The only thing better would be if they had red flames instead of stripes on the bottom.  The cover is a nice upgrade from previous years, incorporating the Ping 410 logo with red stripes and it slips on and off easily. I’m glad they did away with the old “sock” type of covers from years ago that were more difficult to take on and off.

ping_face.jpg.61ea8805ca39289b2455f878a81e2a12.jpg

Sound and Feel: Score = 9 out of 10

Before I got to the fitter, I had a chance to use the driver both at a range and on the course. I also took my GBB along on several occasions as a comparison. I quickly realized that even without the fitter dialing it in for me this club was going straighter than my GBB and my G20.  The one thing I really didn’t like about my GBB (outside of the pull hooks) was the sound – more dull than the sharp crisp sound I had with my G20. The sound of the SFT is a bit clunkier if you hit it off the toe but overall a much better sound experience.  I can tell, without looking up how I hit the ball – which as a side note helps me keep my head down.  I am hitting - the ball well. Is it the SFT or am I getting better? Not sure and who cares 😉.

IMG_5971.jpg.77ba8e74257ece129b06233e8c1de690.jpg

Basic Characteristics: Score = 18 out of 20

Thankfully, it’s now May 1st, so onto the fitter and none too soon because a big complaint is that I’m not getting the distance that I thought I would. This is my first real fitting session (I’m not counting Club fitting days) and initially it was a bit unusual because I’m hitting in front of an audience (a few “guests had stopped by). The result is I’m spraying the ball all over the place (see Trackman graph below).  Very Embarrassing! Finally, they leave, and I calm down and I’m driving the ball relatively straight. The first thing the fitter said to me is ‘you’re going to really make me work for this aren’t you’. He then proceeds to put me into a Ping 400 Max and Ping 410 Plus as a comparison to make sure I didn’t make a mistake ordering the SFT vs. the Plus.  Neither 400 or 410 Plus worked well for me and then he puts me into a Regular Flex CB-55 shaft on the SFT and I immediately pick up 14 yards of carry at 2 mph less of SS and a close dispersion.  He also stated that because of my swing (which he termed “violent”), I need a slightly shorter shaft,  so for $72 I ordered a 45 1/4” Regular Flex and as a result I should expect slightly more yardage gain.   Obviously, I need continued work on my swing especially on the “Attack Angle”, but the following trackman graph is very telling.  I only included the SR Flex shaft = dark green, the regular flex shaft = turquoise and final loft adjustment to the regular flex shaft = brown.  I didn’t include the other combinations as they weren’t relevant and would make the graph tougher to read. Additionally, there is a fair amount of dot overlap – however, the turquoise and brown dots are still representative. Obviously, the (somewhat faint) horizontal line represents center line and yardages. The brown dots were the result of the SFT set at 6* loft, which is what I’m sticking with since those drives are closest to the center 0 yds to approximately 15 yds right (draw).

Again, based on the numbers: Attack Angle, Face Angle, etc. I still have some work to do on my swing. However, regardless of the that, I am still more consistent and longer with the R Flex than I was with the SR Flex. And longer than my GBB and G20.

driver.jpg.9f5dbf581ba68bd7bfcce2bb0733644e.jpg

1373948175_shortLMdata.jpg.0f6ad7eb00e62e50d32f1e788dec318f.jpg

Note: My on-course results are averaging 200 + yds.

My score of 18/20 is based on the following;

The sound: it’s more of a thwack vs. a thud of the GBB.  Since not quite as crisp as my G20, but still nice.

Trajectory is high – but then that’s the result of both the shaft and the loft adjustments by the fitter and it’s working for me.

Accuracy: If I had to give marks for just this as a category it’d be 20/20. It is right on the money.  I am nailing the fairways right down the middle or close to it!

Adjustability: It’s currently dialed in by the fitter for optimization. Could I easily adjust it? Of course, but why would I want to since the fitter has it dialed in. However, keep in mind that the SFT doesn’t have a sliding weight, on the other hand I don’t think I need one.

On-Course Performance: Score = 40 out of 40

I don’t have access to ARCCOS or another measuring device so I’m including 2 pic’s of the GPS app for our course. As a point of reference, this hole #10 at our Club is a 462 yd par 5,– so the first night with the new R Flex shorter shaft, I drove it approx. 207 yds smack dab in the middle of the fairway. (A special note to Mods reading this, I’d like to be an Official Tester for ARCCOS  😎.  

This SRT, especially for high handicappers like myself, makes one want to do a happy dance!

distance.jpg.d8880583efe51a5a9bd7d8e621b2050e.jpg

This driver inspires my confidence and as a result I’m scoring better – that says it all! I have a high level of confidence that when I walk up to the tee I’m going to launch the ball straight and high. At this point, with really less than a month in (because of the shaft change), I would advise Ping not to change a thing when it comes to the actual club. Let me say this again: this SRT is straighter and longer than my GBB and G20. I see more GIR’s in my future.

On the other hand, I do feel that the online fitting tool steered me to the wrong shaft – the Senior Flex vs. a Regular Flex (cut down). I’m now even more convinced of the importance of a real fitting – not just a fitting day at the course or a casual tryout in a big box store.

Play it or Trade it? Score 20 out of 20  

You’ll have to pry this driver out of my hands before you get it back! I won’t even let my men’s league partner (who’s also a lefty) try it. I’m not going to give it up for anything!

Overall Score 96 out of 100

Guys, my stage 2 is up. Feel free to ask any questions on the 410 SFT

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

Guys, my stage 2 is up. Feel free to ask any questions on the 410 SFT

Great review Tony.  Glad you're loving the G410 as well.  Looking at your swing video, I simply cannot believe you're fitter did not pick up the problem... you're swinging from the wrong side 😉.  Also, love the "violent" description 😂.  Lastly, perhaps I missed it in your reviews, but why did you opt for the SFT vs. the Plus?

Great review Tony.  Glad you're loving the G410 as well.  Looking at your swing video, I simply cannot believe you're fitter did not pick up the problem... you're swinging from the wrong side .  Also, love the "violent" description .  Lastly, perhaps I missed it in your reviews, but why did you opt for the SFT vs. the Plus?

Let's be straight on this - I am standing on the right side of the ball

Actually the SFT was the recommendation by the Ping online fitting tool. That was one thing it did get right as the fitter did have me try the Plus. For whatever reason I didn't get the same performance as with the SFT.

Just as an aside, my primary objective with both my lessons and clubs is accuracy first then distance.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Had to get in one more range session before put the finishing touches on my Stage 2. 

[/url]  
That's a great looking swing@jlukes, nice ball flight, too. I'm glad to see you all are seeing great results with the G410.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Had to get in one more range session before put the finishing touches on my Stage 2. 

[/url]  

Boom

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

On 4/3/2019 at 1:03 AM, tony@CIC said:

Welcome to Stage 2 of my review of the Ping SFT! Unlike other reviews, stories or articles, I’m going to give you my conclusion first and then tell you why.

Am I happy with the 410 SFT – NO I’m not.  I am THRILLED with it! There is nothing I don’t like about it.

https://vimeo.com/337165176 

So, a bit of background, for those of you that didn’t read my stage 1. I started my driver experience a few years ago with a G20 which was the result of my Club’s fitting day.  That driver went through literally tens of thousands of hits on both the driving range and the course. Many hits later and coupled with lessons, I still had a nagging slice.  Even more lessons later (I’m a slow learner), combined with a GBB which has lots of opportunities to eliminate the slice with an adjustable hosel and a sliding weight, the result was now a push fade. Oh and in between I had a lesson with a recommendation to use a stronger grip. Yup that takes care of the push fade and moves it into the pull hook category.  This is great - I now know that I can “work” the ball. Too bad I can only do it by accident!

But wait, after reading many tomes on shaft’s, with my low to mid 80’s SS I figured out that I needed a senior flex shaft. So now out goes the Hzrdus X Green stock shaft and in comes an Aldilla senior flex.  Yes, I know that I need some expert advice – but that’s the commonsense thing you do only after things don’t work out – right?

Ok, so here I am – late winter 2019 at the driving range with the Aldilla shaft in that GBB and they are mostly pull hooks. Not getting much distance but then it is winter = very cold and old range balls. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

And now a marvelous opportunity comes along from MGS to be a tester for the 410. (Note Mod’s have I told you how much I like you 😊). What’s not to like after all it’s always the arrow not the Indian right? This time I decide to go to a real fitter – too bad he’s booked until May 1st.   So, with SS in hand I go to the Ping site and follow their onsite fitting tool. The result is a 410 SFT with a Soft Flex (aka Senior), standard length shaft. Ok, I was good with that so off goes the spec to Golfspy Stroker. Order me up a SFT, standard length CB-55 shaft with the Jumbo GP Velvet Grip. Talk about speedy customer service – it only took a few days to arrive. Opps sorry Stroker did I forget to mention I’m a lefty - no problem Ping’s superior customer service came through, as they overnighted the new lefty SRT to me.  So on to the evaluation:

Let’s start with looks: Score = 9 out of 10

Perhaps it’s because I spent so much time with a beaten-up G20, I’m very comfortable with the matte finish. But then it’s not something I pay attention to as I’m standing over the ball.  Overall pretty standard Ping driver look with the “Turbulors” on top but with a striking series of red stripes on the bottom. As reported in my Stage 1, the stripes look good enough that you don’t want to put a cover over them.  The only thing better would be if they had red flames instead of stripes on the bottom.  The cover is a nice upgrade from previous years, incorporating the Ping 410 logo with red stripes and it slips on and off easily. I’m glad they did away with the old “sock” type of covers from years ago that were more difficult to take on and off.

ping_face.jpg.61ea8805ca39289b2455f878a81e2a12.jpg

Sound and Feel: Score = 9 out of 10

Before I got to the fitter, I had a chance to use the driver both at a range and on the course. I also took my GBB along on several occasions as a comparison. I quickly realized that even without the fitter dialing it in for me this club was going straighter than my GBB and my G20.  The one thing I really didn’t like about my GBB (outside of the pull hooks) was the sound – more dull than the sharp crisp sound I had with my G20. The sound of the SFT is a bit clunkier if you hit it off the toe but overall a much better sound experience.  I can tell, without looking up how I hit the ball – which as a side note helps me keep my head down.  I am hitting - the ball well. Is it the SFT or am I getting better? Not sure and who cares 😉.

IMG_5971.jpg.77ba8e74257ece129b06233e8c1de690.jpg

Basic Characteristics: Score = 18 out of 20

Thankfully, it’s now May 1st, so onto the fitter and none too soon because a big complaint is that I’m not getting the distance that I thought I would. This is my first real fitting session (I’m not counting Club fitting days) and initially it was a bit unusual because I’m hitting in front of an audience (a few “guests had stopped by). The result is I’m spraying the ball all over the place (see Trackman graph below).  Very Embarrassing! Finally, they leave, and I calm down and I’m driving the ball relatively straight. The first thing the fitter said to me is ‘you’re going to really make me work for this aren’t you’. He then proceeds to put me into a Ping 400 Max and Ping 410 Plus as a comparison to make sure I didn’t make a mistake ordering the SFT vs. the Plus.  Neither 400 or 410 Plus worked well for me and then he puts me into a Regular Flex CB-55 shaft on the SFT and I immediately pick up 14 yards of carry at 2 mph less of SS and a close dispersion.  He also stated that because of my swing (which he termed “violent”), I need a slightly shorter shaft,  so for $72 I ordered a 45 1/4” Regular Flex and as a result I should expect slightly more yardage gain.   Obviously, I need continued work on my swing especially on the “Attack Angle”, but the following trackman graph is very telling.  I only included the SR Flex shaft = dark green, the regular flex shaft = turquoise and final loft adjustment to the regular flex shaft = brown.  I didn’t include the other combinations as they weren’t relevant and would make the graph tougher to read. Additionally, there is a fair amount of dot overlap – however, the turquoise and brown dots are still representative. Obviously, the (somewhat faint) horizontal line represents center line and yardages. The brown dots were the result of the SFT set at 6* loft, which is what I’m sticking with since those drives are closest to the center 0 yds to approximately 15 yds right (draw).

Again, based on the numbers: Attack Angle, Face Angle, etc. I still have some work to do on my swing. However, regardless of the that, I am still more consistent and longer with the R Flex than I was with the SR Flex. And longer than my GBB and G20.

driver.jpg.9f5dbf581ba68bd7bfcce2bb0733644e.jpg

1373948175_shortLMdata.jpg.0f6ad7eb00e62e50d32f1e788dec318f.jpg

Note: My on-course results are averaging 200 + yds.

My score of 18/20 is based on the following;

The sound: it’s more of a thwack vs. a thud of the GBB.  Since not quite as crisp as my G20, but still nice.

Trajectory is high – but then that’s the result of both the shaft and the loft adjustments by the fitter and it’s working for me.

Accuracy: If I had to give marks for just this as a category it’d be 20/20. It is right on the money.  I am nailing the fairways right down the middle or close to it!

Adjustability: It’s currently dialed in by the fitter for optimization. Could I easily adjust it? Of course, but why would I want to since the fitter has it dialed in. However, keep in mind that the SFT doesn’t have a sliding weight, on the other hand I don’t think I need one.

On-Course Performance: Score = 40 out of 40

I don’t have access to ARCCOS or another measuring device so I’m including 2 pic’s of the GPS app for our course. As a point of reference, this hole #10 at our Club is a 462 yd par 5,– so the first night with the new R Flex shorter shaft, I drove it approx. 207 yds smack dab in the middle of the fairway. (A special note to Mods reading this, I’d like to be an Official Tester for ARCCOS  😎.  

This SRT, especially for high handicappers like myself, makes one want to do a happy dance!

distance.jpg.d8880583efe51a5a9bd7d8e621b2050e.jpg

This driver inspires my confidence and as a result I’m scoring better – that says it all! I have a high level of confidence that when I walk up to the tee I’m going to launch the ball straight and high. At this point, with really less than a month in (because of the shaft change), I would advise Ping not to change a thing when it comes to the actual club. Let me say this again: this SFT is straighter and longer than my GBB and G20. I see more GIR’s in my future.

On the other hand, I do feel that the online fitting tool steered me to the wrong shaft – the Senior Flex vs. a Regular Flex (cut down). I’m now even more convinced of the importance of a real fitting – not just a fitting day at the course or a casual tryout in a big box store.

Play it or Trade it? Score 20 out of 20  

You’ll have to pry this driver out of my hands before you get it back! I won’t even let my men’s league partner (who’s also a lefty) try it. I’m not going to give it up for anything!

Overall Score 96 out of 100

@tony@CIC, I'm having a difficult time telling if you love this driver, or LOVE LOVE this driver. 

Excellent write up. You also slip in a subtle testimonial to the power of proper fitting paired with hard work in practice. Glad to hear that your confidence is at an all time high with the Boom Stick in hand. That makes a world of difference when you are in the proper state of mind at the start of a hole. Happy to hear that the Ping G410 is giving you the confidence you need on the tee.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

On 4/3/2019 at 1:00 AM, jlukes said:

Ping G410 Plus Driver - Stage 2 Review - jlukes

IMG_20190521_075921.thumb.jpg.731f227706b189e1f2a2f0422f8a066f.jpg

It has been a great 6 weeks testing the G410 Plus driver.  Over the testing period, I have played about 12 rounds of golf and had about 14 range sessions.  I tested the G410 in every weight setting and every hosel setting. I tried to hit draws, fades, cuts, hooks, high bombs, low bullets and everything in between.  I was able to get G410 on trackman and purchased the Arccos system that I had in play for the last few rounds. I made it a point to make this the most thorough club testing I have ever done.  I hope that my fellow forum members enjoyed following along as I posted regular updates and answered questions throughout the testing process. I always enjoy forum testing for MGS, but this one was my favorite by far simply because of how much work I put into.  

Now onto the scoring...

Looks

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder and everyone has their own preferences when it comes to how their golf clubs look.  For me, the G410 Plus is a knockout. I always thought Ping turbulators were gimmicky, but I never spent any time with a Ping driver to really form a real opinion.  Now that I have spent a ton of time with them, I love them. Yes, they provide some sort of aerodynamic properties, but where they really shine for me is how well they work as an alignment aid.  The shape and size of the turbulators do such a great job of framing the ball. I have never had a easier driver to line up.

IMG_20190521_075939.thumb.jpg.ffd6d4dfd27d998f56a4cecf24566b39.jpg

I also have to say that I am glad that Ping decided to invert the Dragonfly Crown and “hide” it under the hood this go around.  The combination of the turbulators and dragonfly crown on the G400 was a bit much for me, but G410 has a much cleaner look. The paint job is a beautiful matte dark grey and it is such a great finish to look at (and there are no glare issues).  The red, black and silver color scheme is simple and clean on the underside of the club, and the implementation of the weight ports/track does not take away from the aesthetics of the club at all.

IMG_20190521_075905.thumb.jpg.8c4de349cc5a6f4227d429fb47779065.jpg

IMG_20190521_075857.thumb.jpg.901d67b17aa41098ba10ef1ca2a18163.jpg

Another thing that is often overlooked, but plays a huge role in how the club looks at address, is the size of the adjustable hosel.  Ping has the cleanest implementation of an adjustable hosel in the industry. When looking down at the club, it is barely noticeable. The shaft seems as if it transitions seamlessly into the head.  Just a small detail, but it really completes the look of the G410.

Score: 10 (out of 10 points)

Sound & Feel

Having played composite-crowned drivers over the last 6+ years, it was definitely adjustment when I first started hitting the Ping G410.  Heck, I wasn’t even sure I liked it. It a bad sound like the Nike SQ, it was just very different. There is definitely a tingy-ness to the sound rather than the “thwack” you get with a composite driver.  The more I hit it, the more my hearing adjusted to the sound and it became more and more pleasing. It is definitely a distinctly “Ping” sound, but it is a good sound.

Feel is often linked to sound, but for me, the G410 felt softer than it sounded.  That might not make sense to some people, but I feel that sometimes people associate loud with harsh, but that is not the case here.  The G410 feels explosive. Stability is also a strength of the G410 as I found the feel of the sweet spot to be rather large. If you followed along with my regular updates, you would know that I don’t always find the center of the face.  The feel and sound does differ a bit off low-face and heel-side hits, resulting in a more “thwacky” sound when compared to center and even toe strikes.

For me, the Callaway Big Bertha Alpha was my favorite feeling/sounding driver ever.  It felt explosive and had an intoxicating smooth sound at impact. How does the G410 compare?  All I can say it is different. At first I was slightly turned off, but like one of those deep album tracks from your favorite band, it grows on you over time.  The sound never once impacted how I would swing or my confidence in the club. Is it my favorite sounding driver of all time now? Honestly, it likely isn’t in my Top 3, but it still sounds good and feels even better.  If I could separate the sound and feel scores, it would be 3 out of 5 for sound and 5 out of 5 for feel.

Score: 8 (out of 10 points)

Basic Characteristics

Now that we have the vanity stuff out of the way, it is time to get into the nuts and bolts of the review.  Performance.

From the moment I had my initial fitting, I knew that the G410 was going to be something special.  I have struggled with over-draws for much of the last 36 months and with the Flat hosel setting and weight in the fade position, I was actually able to hit baby fades.  That is just not something I felt I could pull off with my current (and soon after getting the G410 on the course, previous) gamer.

After I got the G410, I went to Club Champion to get some Trackman numbers as well as test shafts.  I posted full details of that experience right here.  What I saw on Trackman were ball speeds in the low to mid 160s and carry distances that were in the 270s and occasionally touching 280+.  Those are lifetime best numbers for me all around. I was really really happy with everything I saw on trackman and couldn’t wait to hit some balls outside to see real ball fights.

I spent a lot of time at the range for this review (twist my arm) and the more I hit the G410, the more I am impressed with it.  I find the G410 to be low/mid spin and very easy to launch. The ball gets up fast and then flattens out for a very appealing flight.  

As I mentioned above, I tested just about every combination of adjustments the G410 had to offer and I found them all to make a noticeable difference.  Loft down to open the face, flatten the lie, and put the weight in the toe and you’ll notice a drastic difference in flight than when you loft up to close the face, neutral lie, and weight in the heel.  I played around with the settings to find an ideal setting for me and I have just about settled on the weight in the neutral position with the hosel set to the big minus sign to open up the face. This setting gives me a desirable baby draw with my standard swing and gives me the ability to hit a power fade if the situation calls for it.

20190521_172207.gif.2d32390e8fb4a612867d10d991385f5f.gif

In terms of accuracy, the G410 puts out what you put in.  I didn’t find any issues where a ball didn’t react in a way that wasn’t dictated by the strike.  The ball flew where the face to bath relationship says it should have flown and that is really all you can ask for in any golf club.

When it comes to forgiveness, I found the G410 Plus as stable and forgiving as any driver I have ever tried.  Where the the G410 really impressed me was on ball speed retention on low face hits. Yes, I saw lower launch and higher spin on low face shots, but the ball speed retention was so good that the distance losses were more than acceptable.  Heel and toe hits also produced above average results and I can’t think of one instance where I lost more distance or was more offline than I expected.

Where I think the G410 really shined for me was the distance category, and more specifically, the consistent distances I was seeing.  The G400 Max was an extremely forgiving driver, but it didn’t produce the best ball speed numbers. I feel as if the G410 Plus kept the stability of the G400 Max and added in ball speeds that allows it to compete with every driver on the market.  Is it the longest driver on the market? No. It isn’t. However, that isn’t because of a lack of ball speed, it is because the G410 isn’t a super low spin head. I demoed drivers like the M5, Epic Flash SZ, and TS3 and while all 3 drivers would give me slightly longer drivers on well-struck shots, they penalized me more on off-center hits more.  As someone whose miss is a hook, super low spin can spell disaster on a mishit because it leads to ugly quacking duck hooks. While the G410 will never save me from a truly awful swing, I know that there is a greater margin for error.

That greater margin of error allows me to swing more freely, resulting in faster swings and better drives.  When on the range, I felt like I was in cruise control with the G410 in my hand. But we all know what really matters is how it performs on the course.

Score: 19 (out of 20 points)

On-Course Performance

So as many of you know, I undertook a big swing change this offseason, which is still in progress.  However this review isn’t a review of my swing or my struggles - it is a review of the performance of a driver.  On the course, the Ping G410 Plus was everything I could want in a driver. Stable, forgiving, and long. I played about a dozen rounds over the last 6 weeks, most of them at my home courses, and I had drives that left me yardages into greens that I’ve never had before.  Irons into Par 5’s where I am normally hitting at least a hybrid. Sand wedges instead of PW. Mid Irons instead of long irons. No matter the hole, the G410 gave me great results. I have only begun using the Arccos tracking system, but it has already showed me some great data.  Even on poor shots, my drives are still going 250 yards, which is a true testament to how good the G410 is.May9_3.thumb.png.82ec03172edaf95659f494007e473982.png

I had two rounds where a really struggled with my swing, but even then the G410 produced relatively great results.  I mentioned above that I seemed to get good results off strikes low on the face while at the range. That proved true on the course as shots where I felt like a nearly missed the face entirely still traveled 250 yards, or about 88% of my average distance.  My fairways hit have been around 40%, but that number is more indicative of my swing struggles than the club itself. For me to be carrying drives in the 270s consistently is really something else. Unfortunately I don’t have any hard data to show what my tee game was before the G410, but I know my max carry was in the low to mid 260s and I needed some good roll out to 300.  Now I am seeing my really good drives carry almost 280 and even with the wet conditions we’ve had in the North East I have seen several drives crack 290. On dry days (but before I had Arccos), I had several drives go over 320 yards (measured with GPS watch). That is just absurd for me. I cannot wait to get out of this wet spring and hit some summer fairways with this bomber to see what new parts of the course I can explore.  

May8_2.thumb.png.b8564384c36495f6832a2527c28df11e.png

May9_1.thumb.png.f5ec5c5d33203593cb979e359ae4b423.png

While my scores may not have improved yet, mainly due to the swing changes and iron play being worked on, I have no doubt that the added distance and consistency will eventually lead to lower scores.  All of the strokes gained data that MGS publishes shows that distance is king. Hitting longer drives, leading to shorter approach shots, which in turn lead to closer proximity to the hole, is the single most efficient way to improving scoring.  Seeing what the G410 has done over such a short period of time, even while I go through the growing pains of implementing my swing changes on the course, makes me believe that the G410 will absolutely be leading me to lower scores.  I will continue to update this thread as my time with the G410 continues to show just that.

May8_1.thumb.png.817fedabefd9413516762efe29ef4c8a.png

I mentioned in my Stage 1 that I had never gamed a Ping club before.  I always had a perception of Ping that wasn’t quite favorable: I thought they were weird and gimmicky.  Testing the G410 shattered that perception for me and made me really gain a appreciation for the Ping engineering team and what they look to accomplish when they create a club.  I gained so much respect for Ping that I even tried out the G410 fairway wood at a local multi-vendor demo day and to my surprise the G410 LST 14.5* beat out every fairway wood on the market for me and earned a spot in my bag.  So I went from no Ping clubs in my bag ever, to two Ping Clubs in the top of my bag. I won’t lie - Ping firmly has my attention and I will be giving their clubs a shot at earning any spot in my bag going forward.

The G410 Plus is a great step forward from the G400 series.  At the time of this review, the LST head has just been announced and I can definitely say that while I want to try it, I am not sure how good of a fit it will be for me.  I really enjoy the stability and predictability of the G410 Plus and wouldn’t want to sacrifice any of that for a few extra yards. I really don’t see anything I would change in future iterations.  If they Ping engineers could fine tune the sound a bit more, it would appeal a bit more to the masses, but that is really the only major improvement I could see them making.

From the adjustable hosel and the movable weight, to the way the turbulators frame the ball, the G410’s feature set all serves a purpose.  I love that Ping fine tuned their hosel to add flat lie setting for better players, and the weight ports absolutely influence the closure rate of the head.  I hope Ping sticks with the adjustable weights and I wonder if they are already looking at what else they could possible do with them. We know they will never add adjustability if it means sacrificing weight placement and performance, so I am not sure how much more they can tweak this design.  It would be cool if they could offer a front/back weight tuning similar to the Cobra F9, but I am not sure they’d be able to do so while maintaining the weight distribution they desire.

Score: 29 (out of 30 points)

Miscellaneous

I have always heard how customer-service oriented Ping was, and this testing proved it.  We received out drivers extremely fast and mine came to the exact spec that I ordered. The packaging was more than acceptable from a protection standpoint.  Another thing I wanted to call out is the cost of additional weights. I wanted to experiment with a slightly different swing weight in both the G410 driver and the LST 3W I purchased.  The price of the weights are noticeably cheaper than competitors’ weights. The Ping driver and FW weights retail for $18 and $13 respectively. In comparison, Cobra F9 Weights are $25. Titleist TS2 weights are $25.  Just a great price point from Ping.

In MGS’s write-up of the Ping G410, they mentioned that Ping redesigned the headcover to be a bit heavier so it would would not blow away in the wind.  While I normally use my own personal headcover for my drive, I did bring the Ping headcover to several range sessions and rounds and can confirm that it definitely doesn’t blow around as easily as other headcovers.  Not something that would make or break the driver, but just a pretty cool detail from Ping.

Score: 10 (out of 10 points)

Play it or Trade it?

Considering the G410 Plus knocked my Titleist TS3 driver out of the bag in less than two weeks, it should be no surprise that is is now my full-time gamer.  I truly believe that the Ping G410 maximizes my overall tee game and my game is better for it. The LST version of this head does intrigue me. Did Ping simply create a lower spin version of the G410 plus, maintaining the stability and consistency of the G410, but in a lower spin? If so, that head could potentially change my tune.  I did win a full bag fitting from True Spec Golf, so it is only a matter of time until I find out just how good of a fit the G410 is for me. Until then, it isn’t going anywhere.

I believe the G410, due to all of its adjustability, will fit an extremely wide range of golfers.  We already see tour players using the G410, and there is no doubt that 20+ handicaps could game the G410 as well.  Throw in the SFT and LST heads and Ping has created a line of drivers that literally fits every golfer. 

I believe the $499 price point is right in line with where it should be.  $500 is the going rate for a new premium driver, and that is just a fact of life.  The G410 is the total package and is appropriately priced. Can someone find a used driver from 2017 or 2018 that performs close to the G410 for less money?  Of course they could. But if someone is looking for a new driver in 2019, the G410 should absolutely be at the top of the list to try.

Score: 19 (out of 20 points)

Conclusion

So if you’ve made it through the entire review and reached the conclusion, you already know what I am going to say here.  If you have skipped to the conclusion with hopes of getting a quick recap, you’re in luck.

The Ping G410 Plus driver is simply the most well balanced driver I have ever gamed.  It gives me great ball speeds and fantastic stability that result the best drives that I have ever hit.  Throw in the adjustable hosel and weight ports and you have a driver that can be customized to fit just about any golfer.  

A driver should give you confidence the moment you pull it from the bag, remove the headcover and set it down behind the ball and for me the Ping G410 Plus does just that.  I am excited to have the G410 Plus as my driver moving forward and will continue to post updates throughout this thread as the season progresses.

Final Score: 95 out of 100 points

The detail in this review is very impressive! Well done, @jlukes

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

My Stage 2 Review is up!  ------>  Click HERE!

GREAT write-up @jlukes! I enjoyed every word of it. You did a fantastic job! Keep pounding them out there!!!😃

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Superb initial and final reviews! These have been my go-do reads over the past few days when I have some down time. With the introduction of the Blueprint blades (although somewhat controversial) It seems like Ping really has their program together. I've still got a Ping HQ tour here in AZ on my bucket list and stuff is really motivating to follow through on that. 

Side questions that's sort of off topic.. where did you guys find the shot tracer programs? Were they apps or computer programs? I can't seem to find anything for Android. 

Thanks!

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

18 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Superb initial and final reviews! These have been my go-do reads over the past few days when I have some down time. With the introduction of the Blueprint blades (although somewhat controversial) It seems like Ping really has their program together. I've still got a Ping HQ tour here in AZ on my bucket list and stuff is really motivating to follow through on that. 

Side questions that's sort of off topic.. where did you guys find the shot tracer programs? Were they apps or computer programs? I can't seem to find anything for Android. 

Thanks!

Shot Tracer is in Beta on Android. It's what I used 

Shot Tracer is in Beta on Android. It's what I used 
Awesome! I did see that but wasn't sure if it was worth the $5 for a beta version. Looks like it might just be worth it. Thanks!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

MAXFLI  Tour CG

4 hours ago, palvord said:

@tony@CIC, I'm having a difficult time telling if you love this driver, or LOVE LOVE this driver. 

Excellent write up. You also slip in a subtle testimonial to the power of proper fitting paired with hard work in practice. Glad to hear that your confidence is at an all time high with the Boom Stick in hand. That makes a world of difference when you are in the proper state of mind at the start of a hole. Happy to hear that the Ping G410 is giving you the confidence you need on the tee.

I was thinking of taking it to bed with me at night - maybe that's a bit too much? 😂😂

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Thanks!
I have a shot tracer app for my Samsung, it's by Visual Vertigo. I think I had to pay $5 for it off the play store.

I have a shot tracer app for my Samsung, it's by Visual Vertigo. I think I had to pay $5 for it off the play store.

Yeah I think that's the one I just bought

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Great stage 2's!

I'm also a Shot Tracer Android user. I've found that it works best on videos that are already recorded (with your phone's camera app), not trying to trace the shot by recording in the app itself. It has come a long way since I bought it almost 2 years ago, and it no longer feels like the ugly sister of the iOS version.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I need to see if Shot Tracer will work on my Moto E phone.  Yes that's right, just like his golf equipment, @fixyurdivothas the latest in smartphone technology too 🤣.

10 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Awesome! I did see that but wasn't sure if it was worth the $5 for a beta version. Looks like it might just be worth it. Thanks!

Indeed. That's the one I used. Keep at it Bud!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

OK folks...I got one last range session to tackle tomorrow evening and then my stage-II will be ready for submission Friday night. Keep pumping us with any and all questions and I will work throughout the season to continue to contribute to this thread as I further my experience with this club. Your patience will be rewarded. Cheers all!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers