TESTERS WANTED! ×

So I know I'm not the only that has a grip that probably limits their golf game. I bought a skilz grip aid to help me with some muscle memory and to properly swing with that grip but its not a full length club so I feel that hinders me in really seeing how it feels in the back swing and at impact. TEMPO AND GRIP TRAINER

I have seen a couple full length grip training clubs on ebay that seem to be pretty old school. Those have peaked my interest but they look to be heavy and not something that is similar to anything I have in the bag. Would this still be good to use? Master-Grip-Groovie-by-Pat-Simmons-Mens-Swing-Trainer-Golf-Club

My other thought was to find a used iron or two in the same setup that I have or something similar and put a grip trainer grip on there. Then I can take that to the range with me and really be able to practice the full motion of hitting balls with the proper grip. 

Has anyone used anything like mentioned above to help fix their grips?

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

I can certainly see how someone might gain some degree of usefulness with one of the grip trainers. I've never used one but I was given one last year thinking we might be able to use it in our First Tee programs. Maybe.

Personally I think these trainers are only supporting one particular type of grip method. In my early years and for a long time after I used an overlap grip. About 5 or so years ago I switched to a 10-finger or full finger grip method. There isn't one way for everyone to grip/hold a golf club. Additionally, when playing I sometimes alter my grip depending on the shot I'm trying to produce. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

31 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I can certainly see how someone might gain some degree of usefulness with one of the grip trainers. I've never used one but I was given one last year thinking we might be able to use it in our First Tee programs. Maybe.

Personally I think these trainers are only supporting one particular type of grip method. In my early years and for a long time after I used an overlap grip. About 5 or so years ago I switched to a 10-finger or full finger grip method. There isn't one way for everyone to grip/hold a golf club. Additionally, when playing I sometimes alter my grip depending on the shot I'm trying to produce. 

That makes sense for sure. My problem is a very strong grip with the right hand/ thumb basically on the right outer side or under the grip. This alone is making it harder for me to get a better shoulder turn because arms just dont work that way haha. I try to fix it at the range but I just feel out of whack trying to have a more neutral grip when making a full swing and after a few shots I slowly start fading into the old grip. 

28 minutes ago, patrickleeleep said:

That makes sense for sure. My problem is a very strong grip with the right hand/ thumb basically on the right outer side or under the grip. This alone is making it harder for me to get a better shoulder turn because arms just dont work that way haha. I try to fix it at the range but I just feel out of whack trying to have a more neutral grip when making a full swing and after a few shots I slowly start fading into the old grip. 

Like you mentioned in your original post, it's all about muscle memory. I would recommend trying to use a more neutral grip like you were, but just take some half swings or pitch shots until you get more comfortable with how it feels. Once you start taking full swings and if your grip starts to fade, just go back to slowing it down and work on building the muscle memory with the new grip.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

7 minutes ago, TSauer said:

Like you mentioned in your original post, it's all about muscle memory. I would recommend trying to use a more neutral grip like you were, but just take some half swings or pitch shots until you get more comfortable with how it feels. Once you start taking full swings and if your grip starts to fade, just go back to slowing it down and work on building the muscle memory with the new grip.

Around the green and anything under 40 yards feels very comfortable with a more neutral grip and helps generate more spin which helps. Its just trying to implement that same grip into full swings especially in the longer clubs.

Around the green and anything under 40 yards feels very comfortable with a more neutral grip and helps generate more spin which helps. Its just trying to implement that same grip into full swings especially in the longer clubs.

Do you think it has anything to do with grip pressure? You might have a little less tension on your shorter shots, which could make it feel more comfortable. Grip pressure is something I'm sorta working on, so that thought came to mind.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

1 minute ago, TSauer said:

Do you think it has anything to do with grip pressure? You might have a little less tension on your shorter shots, which could make it feel more comfortable. Grip pressure is something I'm sorta working on, so that thought came to mind.

I think right now it's just comfort. I've just always gripped it that way so its whats most comfortable. With the shorter chip shots I'm not bringing the arms back and turning the shoulder like I would on a full length swing and thats where I feel the biggest difference.