GolfSpy STUDque

2019 Official Forum Member Review - Bridgestone e12 Speed and Soft Golf Balls

Stage 2

Just finished stage 2. I still have one sleeve left and I still intend to try them on the local PGA simulator to get some actual numbers but I don't think that testing will change my review. Enjoy Spies!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Stage 2 is up.  Questions or comments are welcome, unless I don't like them 😜!

okee dokee.. Stage 2 is up. I'm sure I'll find something to edit in the morning. It's been fun y'all!

My Stage 2 is already up but I did have the opportunity to test the e12 in the local AboutGolf PGA simulator yesterday. First, a couple disclaimers I've used both this simulator and a TrackMan. I believe the TrackMan to be at least 5% more accurate with club speed/ball speed/spin. I was also told by the simulator owner that the balls wouldn't give that accurate spin rates because I wasn't using his balls. However, I did mark the balls in a way they should track the spin by drawing small lines across the entire ball(I assume AboutGolf uses high speed photos to compare images of the balls at points in the path and derives actual numbers)

725060568_OperaSnapshot_2019-05-06_084757_cc2.friendlysoftware_com.png.b710c45909c6b38c286b3e6b02695924.png

Shots 1-14 were just to loosen up so don't look into those at all.774539469_OperaSnapshot_2019-05-06_084819_cc2.friendlysoftware_com.png.b87a609423655c7e553f0ee75408eb9b.png

Shots 15-17: Attempted to hit 75 yard SW with e12 Speed

Shots 18-20: Full Swing SW with e12 Speed

Shots 21-23: Attempted to hit 75 yard SW with ProV1

Shots 24-26: Full Swing SW with ProV1

649406423_OperaSnapshot_2019-05-06_084839_cc2.friendlysoftware_com.png.941fdec16a4d33aacb17f7951470e61f.png

Shots 27-31: Full Swing 6 Iron with e12 Speed

Shots 33-36: Full Swing 6 Iron with ProV1

Shots 37-41: Full Swing Driver with e12 Speed

Shots 42-45: Full Swing Driver with ProV1.

725436552_OperaSnapshot_2019-05-06_084915_cc2.friendlysoftware_com.png.41124dae83b9bacf71350e893ca499d6.png

Summary of Data:

When I look at the numbers and average them (over 3-5 shots) I see extremely similar spin rates, smash factors, and carry distances. There are a couple things that did stand out to me. 

1. I didn't calculate the standard deviation of the shots mostly because I took such a small sample size but I did notice a trend of the smash factor/carry distances of the ProV1 were significantly closer together. However the e12 was more likely to have spikes in distance, especially with my irons (something I mentioned in "on the course" testing). I hit my 6 iron up to 209 with the e12 where the ProV1 seemed to stay shorter with my best shots and further with the ones not hit as well leading to a more accurate grouping.

2. My "on the course" testing biggest surprise was the spin I got from the e12 when I hit half wedge shots. Now as I stated above I'm not sure how accurate some of the spin rates are but it seems like the e12 at least can generate almost the same spin as the ProV1 on full or even 3/4 shots.

3. As you can see these numbers match what I said about my "on the course" testing with the driver. I didn't notice any jump in distance and maybe just a slight increase in accuracy. My calculations had the ProV at average of 205.2 side spin and 119 side spin for the e12.  

Final Thought:
I still can't stomach chipping, pitching and putting with the e12 but at least I know that I can get the thing to spin when I'm hitting it from beyond 45 yards (if I could ever figure out my yardages with it...) I realize the sample size (3-5 shots) was small and the data might not be quite as accurate as it could be (TrackMan) but I definitely wanted to put out some numbers that could at least show a side by side comparison of the e12 to what I normally play. Thanks for reading!

• Like 4

On 4/3/2019 at 7:56 AM, tchat07 said:

So I have been pretty frequent with what has been going on with my e12 test results and I have come to a relatively personal conclusion, the e12 just is not right for my game.  If the game of golf came down to “driving for show”, then yes I would certainly make this a gamer.  However, it doesn’t and I want to have my most comfort with a ball around the greens aka “putt for dough”.  Do I think they are “bad” golf balls not in the slightest I think they would work great for certain people’s game.

Looks & Durability (7 out of 15 points)

Looks (5/7) – I thought that the “whiter” look of the golf balls was nice. It was nice to look at on the green, fairway, rough, and tee.  I really liked the B2 style of print, it provided a sharp contrast with other balls and was quirky enough it seemed cool.  I did not like the side line, I thought the writing was too small which made it difficult to read as well as not being great for lining up putts.

Durability (2/8) – We all spoke in depth about the durability of the ball and all of the issues with it.  If you struck cart path “she” was for sure a goner due to the deep gouges.  If you made hard contact with a wedge it would pull off a layer. I compared it in one comment to range balls, with how the paint always ends up on your club face.  Now I gave it some points because I think part of the durability issue is more cosmetic then actual performance based.  I felt all the paint coming off was the glossy “whiter” coat coming off and it did not seem to falsely affect ball flight, distance or roll.

Sound & Feel (10 out of 15 points)

Sound (6/7) – I thought the sound was great with the driver, had the audible pop that makes it feel like you smoked a ball.  The sound was actually best with the irons, even bad strikes had a flushed sound to them.  With the putter is where it lost a point, it came off the putter face with almost a dead “tick” sound.

Feel (4/8) – Was not a fan of the feel off the driver, felt it was very hard even on center of the face hits.  Feel off the irons was great though, good shots with the irons you knew immediately just by how it felt at impact.  Feel with the putter was hard because I felt it had no feel, really struggled with distance control when putting with the e12.

On-Course Performance (35 out of 50 points)

Putter (7/13) – I thought the ball was hard to control off the putter in terms of distance control.  It’s roll was perfectly adequate but as someone would relies a lot on distance control it increased my average number of putts by at least 4 to 6 per round.

Wedges (8/12) – Full wedges were great, solid strikes hit their distances and stuck relatively close to where they landed.  Any wedge shot that was not full however was difficult to control due to the amount of runout.  This was not much of a problem for the lower lofted clubs that run out was normal for but for higher lofted clubs it proved to be an issue.

Irons (10/12) – Iron shots were great, the ball flight was very tight. If trying to draw or fade the ball it proved to have a tight ball flight and didn’t spin off much. The only place where the iron shots were problematic was into wind, they had a tendency to balloon very badly which highly decreased the distance.

Driver (11/12) - Driver shots were easily the best of any club in the bag.  Distance off the driver was greater compared to other balls.  It also had a tight ball flight which led to a greater percentage of fairways hit. 

Game Bag or Shag Bag? (14 out of 20 points)

There are a couple of factors that go into whether or not the e12 is a gamer.  For me it comes down to the specific course and the weather conditions.  As for the course if there are soft greens it would be safe to play the e12 because it would cut down on the roll out on the greens.  If it’s dry then it’ll be very difficult to leave this in the bag.  When it comes to weather conditions it all depends on wind, if there is windier conditions this will not be the ball that’ll go in play. 

Conclusion

I think the e12 is great for someone who has a high swing speed but is not someone who needs a lot of feel around the green.  I feel it did what Bridgestone said it would do, had more distance and was straighter.  I would purchase the ball but would most likely not use it in a competitive capacity.  I think using this over the summer it would not be an option but during the fall and spring it would be a viable option.  All of this I wrote before reading the MyGolfSpy Ball Review which now has me thinking I need to play one specific ball at all times, so this might not be the ball for my game.

Final Score: 66 out of 100

This is a similar conclusion to what I had on the e6 Speed.  Didn't stray much offline.  Full shots into the green stopped reasonably well.  Partial swings would run like Usain Bolt.

I wouldn't be able to use it as a gamer unless I was planning on hitting 80% of the greens.  However, I would totally use this in a scramble.  Aim Dead On and it will hold its' line.  If you are off the green, switch out to a higher spinning ball for the chips (and find new scramble partners).

PS.  If switching balls on a hole in a scramble is illegal, then don't switch out balls around the green.  You should still find better partners, though.

• Like 3

@dannydips Both of us came to a very similar final thought. Its inability close and around the green makes it a difficult ball to be a gamer.
@romeopapazulu That is interesting you had the same result with the e6 since this was supposed to be the improved version. I do agree that it would be great for scrambles. The only problem for me looking for a group that hits the green during a scramble is then I become the expendable member haha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

If you all aren't reading these outstanding Stage 2 reviews, you're really missing out!!

• Like 3

So what I'm finding extra intriguing with the stage 2's posted, specifically with the colorful options v.s. the classic white, is that they almost appear to be completely different balls in respect to wear and tear. It looks like the colored balls aren't taking on nearly the kind of battle damage that the classic white's appear to be taking. Is the dye in the cover doing something to add a little extra toughness? Is the cover makeup something completely different in order to create the "matte" finish? 

Had those of us that opted for the white, originally gone with a more colorful option, would we have seen different results and reported differently? the only major negative that I found with the ball was the durability. Other than that, it performed decently. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, azstu324 said:

So what I'm finding extra intriguing with the stage 2's posted, specifically with the colorful options v.s. the classic white, is that they almost appear to be completely different balls in respect to wear and tear. It looks like the colored balls aren't taking on nearly the kind of battle damage that the classic white's appear to be taking. Is the dye in the cover doing something to add a little extra toughness? Is the cover makeup something completely different in order to create the "matte" finish? 

Had those of us that opted for the white, originally gone with a more colorful option, would we have seen different results and reported differently? the only major negative that I found with the ball was the durability. Other than that, it performed decently. 

I had the same exact thought. The e12 speed wasn't offered in any color except white and all of us I think noticed durability issues. Of course the e12 speed was designed for faster swing speeds perhaps the harder impact with each clubhead and sometimes increased probability balls will be hit into trouble (trees/cart path) that sometimes accompanies faster swing speeds could contribute to the cause. 

• Like 5

Great Stage 2s so far everyone. Based on the durability and performance, it looks like this isn't a ball I'll be looking to try out any time soon. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've been meaning to post this, but life has been very busy lately.
So, it wasn't the last time I played (I followed up this round with 2 tournaments and I just don't trust this ball enough to use it in tournament play.), but it was the last time I played with the e12 Speed that I actually got the ball to bite and stop on the green...at least once anyway.  Keep in mind these were pristine greens at a private club I was invited to play.  It was a 155 yard par 3 and I selected to go with the 9-iron even though that is typical 8-iron distance for me, but because of all of the roll-out with this ball I decided to club down. Here is a picture of the result.
IMG_3074.JPG
Here is a close up.
IMG_3075.JPG
Thankfully, even though I came up pretty short of the hole, I was able to 2-putt for the par.
NOTE: I should have Stage 2 posted this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Edited by M. Parsons
  • Like 6

I had the same exact thought. The e12 speed wasn't offered in any color except white and all of us I think noticed durability issues. Of course the e12 speed was designed for faster swing speeds perhaps the harder impact with each clubhead and sometimes increased probability balls will be hit into trouble (trees/cart path) that sometimes accompanies faster swing speeds could contribute to the cause. 
I wondered earlier if the color might make a difference. I wouldn't discount swing speed either, although I'm still up over 100 with the driver and didn't see the type of damage that others did. I didn't hit that many full swing second shots so that could have had some bearing on my results as well

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Stage 2 has just been posted, check it out and let me know if you have any questions.  It's been fun!  Here's hoping for future testing opportunities with MGS.  Thanks again.  Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2019 at 8:46 PM, azstu324 said:

Sounds like you have similar conditions as us here in AZ. You guys have dirt traps there too? To the untrained eye they look like sand traps.. but the sand is only about a cm thick with concrete directly underneath.. good way to wreck a nice sand wedge..

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

I would say the conditions are pretty close the AZ, but I moved here from Las Vegas, and those conditions were pretty much AZ to a tee. I haven't found any of those dirt traps, but do get those conditions in the hard-pan past the rough, in between fairways. One thing I do find quite often in the traps out here are pebbles rather than sand.  I jacked-up the grooves on my 7-iron (non-forged) the other day hitting out of the hard-pan / rocks.

• Like 2

Stage 2 is up!

This has been a lot of fun. I've never dedicated so many brain cells or calories to paying attention to the differences in ball performance.

Enjoy! And thanks again to MGS for the testing opportunity. Hope I get a shot at another one soon.

• Like 3

So, just to sum the scoring up as we sit as of this post...

The average score for the E12 Speed was 59.  The range was 47 to 68.  To basically be within 20 points total is fairly impressive and speaks to all 5 testers seeing similar results.  

As of this post, we only have 3 of 5 scores for the E12 Soft.  The current average rating is 83 but the range is a much larger 66 to 97.  It will be interesting to see where the final 2 scores come in and if we have a standard deviation greater than 3 or 6 sigma.  

• Like 4

I got in most of another round yesterday using the e12 Speed. It confirmed the stage 2 results. I got good performance off the driver and irons, but was disappointed with the short game performance. It just doesn't want to grab the green if you don't hit a full shot.

• Like 2