TESTERS WANTED! ×

Calling all FW experts!

giphy.gif

Hate is a strong word, but I hate my fairway wood. It is the one club in my bag that is consistently a pain in the a$$, and I have often referred to that spot in my bag as the 'nemesis' slot. I can count the number of FWs I've hit well on one hand, and it remains to be seen if my current one will make the cut. But since I'm trying to quit swapping clubs just because it appears a club doesn't 'work' for me, I'm curious to hear others thoughts on this lovely club. 

So for those of you who have Stenson-like prowess when it comes to FWs, how did you get to that point? Aside from plenty of practice, what do you do that allows you to hit good golf shots with whichever flavor FW you use? 

I appreciate any and all feedback 😄!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

@mr.hicksta Great question!

I have no idea how it is, but I love my 3 wood!  Outside of my 7 iron, it is my favorite club in my bag.  For me, my comfort level has come from feeling confident every time that club is in my hand.  I swear my brain just realizes that my 3 wood is in my hand and doesn't let me think negative thoughts.

I also have my best tempo with the club compared to others in my bag.  Again, I relate all of this to not having had too many negative experiences with it.  I try and sweep the ball off the ground or the tee and that also allows me to have success.  I don't need to do much work, just swing through the ball.

I doubt this is of any practical use to you, because I have a difficult time putting into words what I do that is drastically different.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Hit down, and take a small divot. Do NOT try to hit up! That's my best advice. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I'm by no means an expert, but for a long time (prior to father time catching up to me) FW's and long irons were my strength (of course, it's all relative). I don't know if you were around when the topic came up (I think there might have been on article on the main site) about many amateurs not having the club head speed to handle a 3W. Depending on your swing speed (I'm guessing pretty high based on the shafts in your sig), you might want to search the forum and/or the main site for the topic if you weren't around for it.

In my case, I could not hit a driver at all - pretty much sliced everything off the planet - so I didn't even try for many years. Necessity and a fair amount of practice with the 3W helped and with time I figured out how to hit it. Now that I have aged, am not in as good of shape, and lost a lot of distance, the 3W is not as good as it once was, but I am still comfortable with it. The real difference happened about 5 years ago when I found a Callaway Razr Fit in a used bin for $10 (with a Tour AD shaft) - the head/shaft combination just worked really well for me. There is a strong chance it will end up back in my bag, but I am trying to give the Bridgestone JGR 3W a fair chance after the review we had last fall. As winter hit, I was still a bit up in the air on whether I liked the club - it's a solid club but it flies higher than the Callaway and a bit shorter, although it is a little more accurate. 

If I were you, I would be tempted to scour stores for used clubs and hit as many as you can until you find the "one".

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Nothing to add. I love using my 3wood off the tee, but can only count a few times where I’ve had a 3 wood into a green from the fairway. I prefer a smaller head, not sure if it boosts my confidence or is the proper fit, but the shallower and more compact the better I feel hitting it off the deck.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

So Hicksta, I'd also use this little bit of equipment advice as well. The cool part about your current f9 is that you can play around with the loft, it does have a 15.5 and 16 degree setting, which may help in carry or getting your ball up on less than great shots.

From a more practical standpoint, as someone who fancies myself a decent fairway wood player, I'll get you a tip that you can use at the range or on course. When I had trouble hitting fairway woods when I was starting out, at one of the lessons I took, the pro told me to line-up with the ball positions I used for driver (just inside left heel for us righties) and take a half step forward with my left foot. By making my stance wider it changed the impact point of my swing to one more conducive to hitting good fairway wood strikes.

I did this on course for nearly 10 years until I (perhaps stupidly) realized I could just come aligned with the ball in the spot where my half-step put it and be set. Hope it helps out for you

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Finding a loft and length that works. For many amateurs going to a 16.5 or higher loft and sometimes with a longer shaft at that loft makes it easier to hit fw and distance loss compared to a standard 15 or lower loft is the same or better due to launch conditions.

hitting slightly down is required when not hitting from a tee. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Can I second this and add (with all due respect to the group) that this is the guy here who has been an instructor - the guy who gave the tip of the day - so you may wish to give priority to his advice.

I’m not a very good fairway player because I have a shallow angle of attack. I have found that through a combo of a lesson, practice and the properly fit fairway wood I’ve gotten better (passable at times.)

You might also wish to try all of the above.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

57 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Hit down, and take a small divot. Do NOT try to hit up! That's my best advice. 

I've heard this in various forms when looking for certain tips, and it's something I keep in mind. The results, however, have been mixed at best!

26 minutes ago, cnosil said:

My bad! Overall it's just general inconsistency, and I think part of the problem is never quite feeling comfortable at setup and always questioning if my setup is 'right'. 

I'm going to check out that tip now. Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

So Hicksta, I'd also use this little bit of equipment advice as well. The cool part about your current f9 is that you can play around with the loft, it does have a 15.5 and 16 degree setting, which may help in carry or getting your ball up on less than great shots. From a more practical standpoint, as someone who fancies myself a decent fairway wood player, I'll get you a tip that you can use at the range or on course. When I had trouble hitting fairway woods when I was starting out, at one of the lessons I took, the pro told me to line-up with the ball positions I used for driver (just inside left heel for us righties) and take a half step forward with my left foot. By making my stance wider it changed the impact point of my swing to one more conducive to hitting good fairway wood strikes. I did this on course for nearly 10 years until I (perhaps stupidly) realized I could just come aligned with the ball in the spot where my half-step put it and be set.

Funny you mention that, because I changed the loft to 15.5 last night when I was at the range. I hit a few decent shots off the deck and tee, but it was a mixed bag. Definitely something I'm going to play with more moving forward. 

10 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Finding a loft and length that works. For many amateurs going to a 16.5 or higher loft and sometimes with a longer shaft at that loft makes it easier to hit fw and distance loss compared to a standard 15 or lower loft is the same or better due to launch conditions.

hitting slightly down is required when not hitting from a tee. 

For the length, mine was built at 42.5", which is usually what I'm comfortable with. And like I mentioned right above this post, I bumped up to 15.5, but I may just go to 16 and see how that works out for me. 

I probably won't be much help as I've been fortunate to always hit 3W well - even in my early days as a junior golfer using hand-me down clubs. I did go through a spell where I struggled with a Nike Vapor Flex 3W and it largely boiled down to the shaft - it just did not load the way I wanted it to and apparently caused a bunch of weird compensations or something. Anyway, I switched back to an older, smaller-headed 3W with a shaft I like and now I'm back to hitting 3W the way I expect to. So aside from a potential shaft swap, I'd only echo what others have said - a neutral or descending AoA is ideal, swing smooth, let the club do the work, etc....

Best of luck!

Edited by TR1PTIK

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

FW's initially for me were a bit ugly. I originally had stock PING Alta shafts in both that were REG-Flex and results with them were "iffy" at best. When I was fitted for driver, the stiff-flex shaft was best for me, so since I tinker, I decided to start looking for a decent stiff-flex shaft to try-first for my 3w since the shaft was "broken" somehow one day...😳 Wow what a difference! Woke that club right up! I could seem to do no wrong with it so I immediately got the same shaft for my 5w...Same result! They are really my most favorite clubs. I don't know why (tempo, speed, take-away...) but I have them dialed in.

Now I'm no Sage here, but based solely on my personal experience alone, I'd simply suggest trying different shafts if possible. Go and schedule a fitting and just play with different combos if that option is available to you. YMMV. Good luck and have fun trying different set-ups if you can-Cheers! 

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

1 hour ago, mr.hicksta said:
1 hour ago, cnosil said:

My bad! Overall it's just general inconsistency, and I think part of the problem is never quite feeling comfortable at setup and always questioning if my setup is 'right'. 

I'm going to check out that tip now. Thanks!

I personally found the approach in that tip to be very enlightening.  It has actually helped my ball striking in all areas and helps me avoid early extension and hitting up on the ball.  During my preshot, before I start the swing I think about driving the ball into a ball a couple of feet in front of my actual ball.  

Hope you figure out what is going on with your swing.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have suuuucked with 3 wd off the deck forever. I finally got a little better last year, partially through some swing changes and probably partially through getting a Rogue with EvenFlow X flex. The head and shaft are spinny enough to give me a little loft and the shaft is strong enough I don't really flip hook it too much.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I have always played my fairway woods well and prefer playing them over hybrids.  I have no specific advice to offer, however.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

7 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I have always played my fairway woods well and prefer playing them over hybrids.  I have no specific advice to offer, however.

I'm the exact opposite. I pound my hybrid and will usually got that route over the FW even if it means I may come up short. Definitely a hurdle I need to get over! 

I play my woods with more of a sweeping motion, picking the ball clean with very little, if any, divot.  I know with hybrids, you want to play them more like an iron.  Maybe that would explain why I prefer hitting the FW and you prefer the hybrids????

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I love my 3W, but hate my hybrids 😄

99% of the time will be used off the tee when driver is just too risky.

From the fairway, I'll only use it if I really smashed the driver and have a chance to get on the green in 2. Otherwise, I'll just keep it in the bag and go with 2 safe iron shots. So attacking a green with a FW happens probably like 1-2 times a month.

As to instructions... I think I'm the last person who should be giving swing advice 😄

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Now that hicksta has made his way over to the Chisag thread I will jack thread a bit.

Swing types really matter in regards to whether or not guys prefer hybrid or FW. I have a shallow swing, fairway woods with little loft are tough for me to hit even though I have a lower handicap. Plus because I draw the ball in the first place I tend to hook them off the tee.

I’m certainly better with hybrid than I am with fairway wood.

Guys with a steeper AoA will often prefer fairway wood.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

48 minutes ago, revkev said:

Now that hicksta has made his way over to the Chisag thread I will jack thread a bit.

Swing types really matter in regards to whether or not guys prefer hybrid or FW. I have a shallow swing, fairway woods with little loft are tough for me to hit even though I have a lower handicap. Plus because I draw the ball in the first place I tend to hook them off the tee.

I’m certainly better with hybrid than I am with fairway wood.

Guys with a steeper AoA will often prefer fairway wood.

I was actually going to suggest the opposite as I tend to have a flatter swing plane (almost Rickie Fowler-esque) and have little trouble with 3W. Interesting.... 

Edited by TR1PTIK

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I was never a good 3W player until I tested the Mizuno JPX-EZ back in 2016. It was the easiest, for me, FW to hit, off the tee and off the deck. So much so, I bought another one in a 5W. Testing the Bridgestone last year, the same as @MaxEntropy, I also found that one fairly easy to hit, but I had better results with the Mitzy, so that's in the bag for the time being.

It may just be that some 3 woods are easier to hit than others.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Going to drop in here for one more piece of advice on the tech aide for @mr.hicksta. If you love hitting hybrids, you should go get a 2 and perhaps a 1 hybrid instead of playing something you can't hit. A ton of companies make hybrids in the 16-17 degree range, and you can find 14 degree hybrids on the Bay for cheap.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Whether you tell yourself you’re amazing or awful with your fairway, you’re exactly right.

I know your pain and I’m working to fix it. First thing was a fresh take. Last week I re-shafted my G 3 wood with a twin shaft to my driver (76g they don’t make a heavier weight) and put on a lighter weight grip.

The swing weight changed 2.5 points and the feel of the club head changed drastically.

I am smoking this club right now because I’m telling myself I can absolutely rip it.

Trust yourself

Edited by bens197
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, Berg Ryman said:

Going to drop in here for one more piece of advice on the tech aide for @mr.hicksta. If you love hitting hybrids, you should go get a 2 and perhaps a 1 hybrid instead of playing something you can't hit. A ton of companies make hybrids in the 16-17 degree range, and you can find 14 degree hybrids on the Bay for cheap.

Oddly enough, I tried going that route with a Mizuno CLK last year at some point. I had the 2H. Great looking hybrid, but I couldn't hit it consistently for the life of me. The G400 3H is one of the only hybrids I've been able to consistently hit well. Golf is ridiculous 😂

Some other advice on fw's...once you find one that works, take the idea of ever getting rid of it out of your mind permanently.  FW technology doesn't change as fast as drivers. 

But...as far as hitting them, PGA averages are -2.9-3.3 AoA.  Most amateurs are lucky to see that with wedges.  Improving my AoA has been something I've been really working on with my swing coach over this past winter and it's finally starting to show results.  Another thing that has really helped me with all clubs, but especially fw's is limiting my wrist hinge because I had way too much.  For what it's worth, I do think there's something to be said about shallow/steep swings and fw's vs hybrids.  I love a fairway, but hate a hybrid.

All this is to ultimately say, spend some money and take a lesson(s) 😀

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

Whether you tell yourself you’re amazing or awful with your fairway, you’re exactly right.

I know your pain and I’m working to fix it. First thing was a fresh take. Last week I re-shafted my G 3 wood with a twin shaft to my driver (76g they don’t make a heavier weight) and put on a lighter weight grip.

The swing weight changed 2.5 points and the feel of the club head changed drastically.

I am smoking this club right now because I’m telling myself I can absolutely rip it.

Trust yourself emoji1360.png

Absolutely love the line in bold man, and you're right. Flipping my mindset on this particular club will help along with me continuing to put in the work to improve!

1 hour ago, lungbuster said:

Some other advice on fw's...once you find one that works, take the idea of ever getting rid of it out of your mind permanently.  FW technology doesn't change as fast as drivers. 

But...as far as hitting them, PGA averages are -2.9-3.3 AoA.  Most amateurs are lucky to see that with wedges.  Improving my AoA has been something I've been really working on with my swing coach over this past winter and it's finally starting to show results.  Another thing that has really helped me with all clubs, but especially fw's is limiting my wrist hinge because I had way too much.  For what it's worth, I do think there's something to be said about shallow/steep swings and fw's vs hybrids.  I love a fairway, but hate a hybrid.

All this is to ultimately say, spend some money and take a lesson(s) 😀

So I've been working with an coach online since summer of 2017 (knew him when I was I was grad school in Monterey), but progress has stalled the last few months. I think there are limitations to how much can be accomplished online, and I honestly feel like one of my issues could be fixed in a couple sessions in person. And your point about finding one and sticking with it is well taken. I actually do like my F9, and have hit good shots with it, but it's a matter of being able to do it somewhat consistently off the tee and deck. 

I find the 3 wood is like the 24/38 rule with irons. Requires the Shallowing part of the swing. Maybe try large swings in golf shaft EL's (profile) see if that is an issue. I say large swing because golfers can feel it better than small increment s, then hone it in. I like low torque, high torque an I'm hitting right. I like high balance shafts with soft mid section and a 3/4" tip cut instead of 1/2". All that helps my 3 wood and driver. I do the same with my 24/38 and lower irons.

10shot

On 4/3/2019 at 3:09 PM, mr.hicksta said:

giphy.gif

Hate is a strong word, but I hate my fairway wood. It is the one club in my bag that is consistently a pain in the a$$, and I have often referred to that spot in my bag as the 'nemesis' slot. I can count the number of FWs I've hit well on one hand, and it remains to be seen if my current one will make the cut. But since I'm trying to quit swapping clubs just because it appears a club doesn't 'work' for me, I'm curious to hear others thoughts on this lovely club. 

So for those of you who have Stenson-like prowess when it comes to FWs, how did you get to that point? Aside from plenty of practice, what do you do that allows you to hit good golf shots with whichever flavor FW you use? 

I appreciate any and all feedback 😄!

Don’t know if this will help you or not.  I have a flat swing plane and can struggle with a 3 wood as a result. I have a Callaway Rogue Heavenwood that I hit like a beast. Favorite club in my bag. Something about the extra length combined with that loft works all day long. YMMV. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

giphy.gif Hate is a strong word, but I hate my fairway wood. It is the one club in my bag that is consistently a pain in the a$$, and I have often referred to that spot in my bag as the 'nemesis' slot. I can count the number of FWs I've hit well on one hand, and it remains to be seen if my current one will make the cut. But since I'm trying to quit swapping clubs just because it appears a club doesn't 'work' for me, I'm curious to hear others thoughts on this lovely club.  So for those of you who have Stenson-like prowess when it comes to FWs, how did you get to that point? Aside from plenty of practice, what do you do that allows you to hit good golf shots with whichever flavor FW you use?  I appreciate any and all feedback

Grip pressure = very relaxed throughout swing 

Posture = upright, weight evenly distributed

Take away = keep sternum in line with butt of the club. Long slow one piece take away.

Swing path = if the target line is 12 o’clock then swing to 1 o’clock

Swing Angle = slightly down sweeping motion

Follow Through = Full body turn chest facing the target

Lots of good FWs out there. I would recommend a high lofted 5 opposed to a 3 Wood. The extra loft will decrease your margin of error. It will also help you to get a the ball in the air.

If a FW just will not work for you might I recommend a utility Wood. Srixon makes some really good ones. I find them easier to hit than a FW Wood and can come real close in total distance.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges.