TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver Values

svande41

I was reading the recent article about the value of the Tour Exotics EXS and it got me to thinking about how you can assign a number to value. I'm not statistician by any means so I chose the simplest method I could think of. I reviewed the Most Wanted Drivers data and came up with a formula. (Yards - Yards from center)/Cost. This rewards long distance and low dispersion per dollar amount. You end up with a decimal that would indicate the most bang for your buck. The higher the value the more value it has or at least that is the idea. The data matches the assessment of the article on the Tour Exotics EXS.  I included the data below, ranked from highest value to lowest for the top 10. Might help those who are looking for a value proposition. You will notice that it also follows the cost of the driver. It seems that the performance based on yards and yards from center are so close that cost weighs heavy on the value number. Have fun! 

1. Tour Exotics EXS = .7349 ($300)
2. Wilson D7 = .7346 ($300)
3. Cobra F9 Speedback = .4969 ($450)
4. Taylormade M6 = .4522 ($500)
5. Titleist TS3 = .4459 ($500)
6. Mizuno ST190 = .4445 ($500)
7. Ping G410 Plus = .4414 ($500)
8. Callaway Epic Sub Zero = .4255 ($530)
9. Callaway Epic Flash = .4231 ($530)
10. Taylormade M5 = .4074 ($550)

It would make sense that by dividing by the cost, that the best value would also coralate to the less expensive driver. We could take driver from 5 years ago that cost $100 and it would by far out do any of those listed. This really comes down to value vs. want vs. what can each individual afford. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Value like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

theres as many subjective things about club as there are objective and even objective stuff could ge subjective. 

Looks, feel, sound play as important if a time as dispersion, ball speed, launch, etc. if any of the first 3 are off for me the rest doesn’t matter.

The 2016 m1/2 drivers and fairways are as good or better than everything in the market today. Their cost is low and their performance is high.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Ill play my PING for at least 3-4 years until something better is released.

My average cost per annum easily justifies the purchase price.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

For my golfing, I had always bought used clubs. This year did buy a Ping G400 just after they announced the 410. Am very happy with its performance and discounted from full price

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

The Mizuno ST190 is $399. The ST190G is $499. Which moves it to #3 @ .556 using your formula.

I have said it before but I believe that all these drivers are fairly close in performance. Especially when properly fitted. So in my mind it comes down to the subjective things like looks, sound, feel, and cost in whatever order you prefer.

For me the Mizuno and the Srixon were the best looking drivers this year. I really enjoy the deeper face of the Mizuno so that is what is going in my bag. Just have to narrow down which shaft.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

In my first post I didn’t take into consideration that the OP did his analysis based on 2019 most wanted testing. So he is correct in offering a performance vs. cost analysis based on the testing. The variables that are not in the analysis are the intangible things that go along with the drivers. Sound, look, feel. As the OP did say, for someone unsure, this would be a good chart to look at if you are looking for something new but also want to manage your value as well. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind