TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tees?

SuperDave

I feel I can assume a lower handicap or better yet, a scratch golfer can consistently hit all the same statistics (ball speed, club speed, spin, launch angle, etc.) if using the same club and the same ball. If so, can a person actually test tees to see how much different ones can affect spin. Or would the differences be to tiny.20190404_113622.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

In theory, perhaps.  In reality, probably not.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I think golfers can get close to the same numbers with the same ball and club. They will not always be the same since path, angle of attack, club head speed, rate if rotation, where you hit the balk on the face, etc will be All be different.

What I think a tee will do is raise the ball slightly which would result in better overall contact and a higher strike on the face. This would result in potentially a bit more distance and less spin than an equal strike from off the ground.

As for testing tees, they probably won’t impact the overall numbers very much.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

21 minutes ago, cnosil said:

This...I know some claim it, but I think it's more marketing hype.  With that said, I do prefer the Pride plastics over wooden unless the ground is rock hard, but that's solely for durability purposes.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

As someone that buys and sells drivers at a pretty quick rate, I prefer 3 1/4” natural wood tees. They don’t leave marks on the bottom or face of my driver.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

2 hours ago, SuperDave said:

I feel I can assume a lower handicap or better yet, a scratch golfer can consistently hit all the same statistics (ball speed, club speed, spin, launch angle, etc.) if using the same club and the same ball.

Not really, I know with my swing it will vary up to 3-5mph CHS, which in turn will change all other stats. Resistance would probably be the only thing you could actually test, but my guess is that it is statistically insignificant. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

2 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Or would the differences be to tiny.

I'll say this.... if tees claiming more distance or less spin, or straighter ball flight, etc. etc. made any measurable difference then the TV golfers would all be using them. They don't. I have some Stinger tees like in the top photo. They're fine. But no added distance. And they are dangerous. Those things are as sharp as a dart.

The biggest problem amateurs have with tees is not teeing the ball high enough.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I haven't been on here in awhile, but you're still wise as ever Plaid

I'll say this.... if tees claiming more distance or less spin, or straighter ball flight, etc. etc. made any measurable difference then the TV golfers would all be using them. They don't. I have some Stinger tees like in the top photo. They're fine. But no added distance. And they are dangerous. Those things are as sharp as a dart.
The biggest problem amateurs have with tees is not teeing the ball high enough.

I sat on the same Tee Box for 5 straight days 10 hours a day at a PGA Tour event. Not only did I not see one singular specialized tee, often times the guys would reach down and grab whatever they could find laying on the ground, jab it into the soil and swing away. These are guys whose lively hood depends on every aspect of the game.

Don’t believe the hype. The old trusty wooden tee is the standard across the globe. Howeverrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I do like the tees with the height marker. It helps me to consistently tee the ball up the exact same height.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

If you believe the packing, it does matter - it's been PROVEN....

1956893791_20190404_1638081.thumb.jpg.98cf2a6d645a68344855ff2633ec4ce5.jpg

I saw these at Dick's last night and thought of this thread.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

10 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

If you believe the packing, it does matter - it's been PROVEN....

1956893791_20190404_1638081.thumb.jpg.98cf2a6d645a68344855ff2633ec4ce5.jpg

I saw these at Dick's last night and thought of this thread.

Okay, I'll own it, I bought a pack of these a year or two ago.  I cannot confirm if they gave me 4 more yards but I can confirm they are a pain in the rear to get into firm turf.  The plastic the ball sits on collapses when you try to push down.  I can also confirm they do not last 100 drives.  Since I couldn't get the damn thing in the ground they lasted zero drives.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Actually that would be a great test for the MGS lab test guys---- Me I use whatever---- I am almost 62 years old and have never purchased a tee in my life. Growing up with my old man running a golf course I had and found plenty especially working the cart shed. Believe it or not I have tees probably 40 or 50 years old some in real tin Chase and Sanborn coffee cans. Like my old man I picked up tees. Sometimes played at clubs that gave you tees. My friend up the street who owns the pancake house gives them away and insists I grab several handfuls everytime I go there. Tourists also do not pick up tees either. Most of the time I can start a round here with 2 tees in my pocket and end up with 6 after the round. Most guys have a change jar on their dresser for spare change I have that and a tee jar. As far as tees marking up the sole of my driver I could care less If I happen to care acetone or WD-40 takes care of that. Personally I prefer stock wooden tees and BTW I tee the ball with the driver on most shots low or traditional height even with a modern driver unless I really want to hit it high 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

10 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Actually that would be a great test for the MGS lab test guys---- Me I use whatever---- I am almost 62 years old and have never purchased a tee in my life. Growing up with my old man running a golf course I had and found plenty especially working the cart shed. Believe it or not I have tees probably 40 or 50 years old some in real tin Chase and Sanborn coffee cans. Like my old man I picked up tees. Sometimes played at clubs that gave you tees. My friend up the street who owns the pancake house gives them away and insists I grab several handfuls everytime I go there. Tourists also do not pick up tees either. Most of the time I can start a round here with 2 tees in my pocket and end up with 6 after the round. Most guys have a change jar on their dresser for spare change I have that and a tee jar. As far as tees marking up the sole of my driver I could care less If I happen to care acetone or WD-40 takes care of that. Personally I prefer stock wooden tees and BTW I tee the ball with the driver on most shots low or traditional height even with a modern driver unless I really want to hit it high 

As I recall, I have only bought tees once - the guy I was playing and I both usually scavenged the tee box for something useful, but people were too good at housekeeping on this particular day and course and we couldn't find enough so each bought a bag at the turn.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

My club provides long tees and I have over 500 of my own in the garage (long white tees).  But, my wife gave me some Snell balls for Christmas and they gave some plastic tees as a bonus gift.  I rather like those.  They're the type of hard plastic with small ridges on the top of the tee...work well in turf and they don't break immediately after use, either.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

This is from 2011.  While the testing methodology of MGS has progressed leaps and bounds since this test it's still pretty cool.

https://mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-labs-golf-tee-wars/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

35 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

This is from 2011.  While the testing methodology of MGS has progressed leaps and bounds since this test it's still pretty cool.

https://mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-labs-golf-tee-wars/

I knew there was a reason I purchased the 4 more yards tee.  Getting them back out tomorrow and giving them another try.  

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

In testing, it has been shown that there is an additional force needed to get the ball out of the “cup” of the tee, so, removing that cup, should give some additional benefit since that force wasn’t lost. I tried the John Daly tees that had three sets of “filament” the ball rested on, and the holder slid around a regular tee. Off the driver it was great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Our club provides wooden tees but I buy the 2 3/4 plastic ones since I break the wooden ones all the time. The plastic ones seem to last forever.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I guess I’m a Tee Ho, I get my tees from my Eye Doctor who gives away a plastic/ bendable tee, white, 2 3/4 long. Don’t know if they’re any longer but they’re free

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Free is always good 🙂

What's your opinion on these? Gonna rock them all year for my baby girl. 20190405_195308.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

What's your opinion on these? Gonna rock them all year for my baby girl. 20190405_195308.jpeg.3dc651b064ee5596b8d097bf18b9123e.jpeg

Seeing that I have 2 daughters and 3 granddaughters I have no problem with them.
Any other answer I’m in trouble.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Seeing that I have 2 daughters and 3 granddaughters I have no problem with them.
Any other answer I’m in trouble.

This is my first, due in October. Super excited!

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

On 4/4/2019 at 10:07 AM, cnosil said:

One of the guys I play with in Yuma is convinced the "brush" tee he uses makes a difference.  Since I've never seen him play with more traditional style tees, I have to take his word that he's getting longer drives.

http://www.golflife.com/4-yards-golf-tee/

I have my doubts that choice of tee matters much in ball flight, yardage, etc. My new favorite are the Pride Stars and Stripes. Not only do they look cool, but I like the word "aerodynamically". 😁

tees.jpg.64a5d93d2fcdd915498a34be0cc34597.jpg

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 4/5/2019 at 8:52 PM, Wedgie said:

I knew there was a reason I purchased the 4 more yards tee.  Getting them back out tomorrow and giving them another try.  

LOL I bought them too! But they didn't last... for some reason they would jump in the weirdest direction, so I lost them all before they broke.

That's about the only time I bought tees. The rest I get for free when buying balls and grips. When on the driving range, a lot of people leave good plastic tees on the floor and I just pick those up. On Par 3's I like to use broken tees.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I've mentioned Flex-Head tees in other threads and they are the only tee I'll ever play for driver and fairways.

Tee_Chart_2019_1024x1024.jpg?v=154888543

G3-200-Red_2048x.jpg?v=1472591482

I use the 175 in red for driver but am going to try the 200 in optic yellow. I use the 100 in pink for fairways and I use a broken tee for hybrids and irons.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

3 hours ago, MattF said:

I've mentioned Flex-Head tees in other threads and they are the only tee I'll ever play for driver and fairways.

Tee_Chart_2019_1024x1024.jpg?v=154888543

I use the 175 in red for driver but am going to try the 200 in optic yellow. I use the 100 in pink for fairways and I use a broken tee for hybrids and irons.

A CAD drawing of a golf tee.... love it. 😆

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Tee_Chart_2019_1024x1024.jpg?v=1548885431

I ordered some. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX