TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

I'm torn.
Not sure if I am more excited for the test results or the comments...

Seriously. If the Instagram post wasn’t enough... the full details are going to bring out a lot of the best of people if they’re playing a ball with unfavorable results lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

27 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

*Sets alarm to make popcorn while reading comments section after the test results are revealed*

This. Perhaps the most entertaining part of what will likely be somewhat controversial will be the comments.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

is it Thursday yet 😃

#ItsLikeChristmasEveallOverAgain

*edit* just saw a tweet saying it will be Monday now- aww shucks!

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

is it Thursday yet 

#ItsLikeChristmasEveallOverAgain

Monday is the new Thursday. At least I have my league match to look forward to tomorrow.

#wewantthereportandwewantitnow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I'm just hoping that the ball I play ranks last for distance and accuracy. I knew it wasn't me, the ball has to be blamed. 

Now that's funny!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 minute ago, silver & black said:

Who cares where the ball you're playing ranks? If it works for you..... you win.

I think the biggest problem would be if they are inconsistently made. If they are, I'd look at a ball that ranks comparably and doesn't have QC issues.  

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

2 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I think the biggest problem would be if they are inconsistently made. If they are, I'd look at a ball that ranks comparably and doesn't have QC issues.  

I understand that, but I doubt seriously if any of the balls any of us play are inconsistent. I'm sure 99.9 % of us play balls from the major manufacturers or the reputable small manufacturers. I'm not sure why comments would be adverse just because the ball you are playing didn't "measure up" to the testing. If you are happy with it.... who cares where it ranks in the test?

5 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I understand that, but I doubt seriously if any of the balls any of us play are inconsistent. I'm sure 99.9 % of us play balls from the major manufacturers or the reputable small manufacturers. I'm not sure why comments would be adverse just because the ball you are playing didn't "measure up" to the testing. If you are happy with it.... who cares where it ranks in the test?

I completely agree. As long as there aren't any major manufacturing inconsistencies, which I doubt from the reputable ball manufacturers, I'll keep playing the ball I currently play, since it works well for me. 

11 hours ago, sixcat said:

If I'm not mistaken, the robots are amphibious!

As many balls as I put in the water, I'd need them to be amphibious to realistically test which balls are best for me! 😜

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

5 minutes ago, silver & black said:

... S&B I agree if a ball works for you then a test shouldn't change that. Unless you have not tried other balls and the test shows improved performance. But a robot is not a human so even that should be considered carefully before trying a new ball. But I do think QC can be a potential problem, especially with some of the boutique brands. I posted before about the Mini Tour player I played with in Orlando that tested a box of the original Kirkland Signatures and 10 were great but 2 had a very different compression and much different spin characteristics. As much as he liked their performance, he didn't trust them and went back to his ProV1's. That can be the difference when "having a bad day" when it was really the ball. And of course I posted pictures of the really bad QC of the Cut Blue balls I received and would never play them again. But I do think all the OEM's that design and produce their own balls will not have any problems with consistency. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I think it’d be interesting if they released a poll before they released the results, just to have everyone vote and see what they think the winner will be.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

As I understand it they are only testing urethane balls.  I'm curious if say Bridgestone urethane balls perform well can we assume their non urethane balls will perform well in regards to consistency and quality.  Does the fact that higher priced balls are urethane mean they have tighter quality control then the same brands budget balls?

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

25 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

As I understand it they are only testing urethane balls.  I'm curious if say Bridgestone urethane balls perform well can we assume their non urethane balls will perform well in regards to consistency and quality.  Does the fact that higher priced balls are urethane mean they have tighter quality control then the same brands budget balls?

That's a good question. I would assume however, that most people who could notice a difference in tolerances would be playing urethane balls anyway. I would think however, a company's "Tour" ball would have the tightest QC, but I could be wrong. 

I think this is the article I am most excited for all year... Reason being it is gonna show how much a difference the right ball for your game can make. I wonder if the best ball may end up being something not considered one of the big three (Titleist, Callaway, Taylormade). Maybe someone like a Bridgestone, Mizuno (Major surprise in North America but their balls in Asia and Europe do well), or maybe a direct to consumer ball?

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

16 hours ago, PMookie said:

Referencing Tony’s comments on Twitter about lower compression not going as far as others, in TXG’s video they just did comparing the M5 and Epic Flash fairway metals, the Srixon Z-Star had FIVE mph LESS ball speed than Pro V1X!!! Five! That’s a LOT, and those are “premium” balls. TXG even commented how they’ve seen this more frequently lately and even said to go get fitted for your ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seems to me the better test would have been to pit the Z-Star XV vs the Pro V1X?

Edited by paperclip

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT White S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

8 hours ago, silver & black said:

I read a report recently done with iron byron (or similar robot) that showed the same ball from the same batch had inconsistencies in flight and distance, some by 20 yds.😮

I'm buggered if I can find it again but if that really is the case theres a good reason to choose a ball with the least inconsistencies, as long as it feels good and works for you.

No matter what expensive, hand crafted, forged on Mount Kilimanjaro with valarian steel clubs you use, if the ball isn't right it will be hard to be consistently good.........in my opinion.

Probably the most anticipated MGS test I've been looking forward to for years.

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

I can't wait to see the results.  Unfortunately my purchase of 4 dozen TP5X balls a few weeks ago could end up being a bad idea.  haha.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

10 hours ago, GB13 said:

That's a good question. I would assume however, that most people who could notice a difference in tolerances would be playing urethane balls anyway. I would think however, a company's "Tour" ball would have the tightest QC, but I could be wrong. 

I also imagine any ball going to tour players is not treated the same as ones headed for packaging. I would imagine they are testing them and only sending the best of the best to their pros. Unless they have really tight QC tolerances, but I can't imagine Phil Mickelson getting a lemon and me getting the best single chrome soft ball ever produced. Whether or not that's ethical or even whether we should be okay with that is another matter.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

11 hours ago, TSauer said:

I think it’d be interesting if they released a poll before they released the results, just to have everyone vote and see what they think the winner will be. emoji848.png

Done. Poll added to this thread. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

... Hard to believe Titleist won't come out on top. It is the companies cash cow and they do everything they can to make sure the ProV1/X are as good as they an be. Although I expect Taylor Made, Srixon and Bridgestone to be very close. Guys on tour just aren't gonna play an inconsistent ball. I have never been a fan of modern soft balls like Chrome Soft or Duo Urethane as they were shorter than TP5x for me. Intriguing will be the Maxfli Tour/X with their Gravity Balance Technology supposedly producing "reduced side spin and optimal ball flight".  

2 hours ago, mooremikea said:

I can't wait to see the results.  Unfortunately my purchase of 4 dozen TP5X balls a few weeks ago could end up being a bad idea.  haha.  

... Me too! But I doubt very seriously it will be a bad idea. Not that our clubbed speed has anything to do with PGA Tour players but Rory switching from defunct Nike to TM specifically so he could play the TP5x says a lot about the ball. I still have a dozen of last years buy 3 get one free TP5X and now 4 dozen of the 2019 TP5x and 2 dozen Maxfli Tour X. 

15 minutes ago, chisag said:

. I have never been a fan of modern soft balls like Chrome Soft or Duo Urethane as they were shorter than TP5x for me.

The more I play, the more I like the feel of compressing a firmer ball.  Strangely.  Before I get Top Flite XL comments (those are impossible to compress)  Ex: Q-star instead of a Srixon Softfeel, or X variants of tour balls

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

1 hour ago, newballcoach said:

the best single chrome soft ball ever produced

I would end up sending that one to Davy Jones locker twice as quickly as I would the most lopsided Frankenstein chrome soft

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I hope they also test the durability of the balls. I played a new TM Project A Yellow Urethane ball. After 18 holes there were a couple of places where the yellow had worn off. FYI the cover was intact - just looked like scuff marks. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

47 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

Done. Poll added to this thread. 

You deserve a raise after some of those options on the poll! 😂😂🤣

25 minutes ago, chisag said:

I have never been a fan of modern soft balls like Chrome Soft or Duo Urethane as they were shorter than TP5x for me.  

interesting- I was the opposite. TP5x was shorter and felt very hard, so much so I changed it during the round to a Prov1 which felt like putty compared to the TP5x

I'm hoping the sound and feel is featured as well as tech stats, particularly the Driver sound and putter sound for each ball.

As for the Poll question, I think it all depends on what is looked at in the testing. I did see a Twitter post from MGS about how a Soft ball DOES NOT = Speed

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗