Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

Although ball speed is king when it comes to distance, dimple pattern also matters. Drag forces are related to the square of the speed, so a higher speed ball will have more drag than a lower speed ball (easiest example is twice the speed results in 4 times the drag). It's conceivable that a slower ball could go farther if the dimple pattern allowed the ball to move more efficiently through the air.

Just for kicks, I would like to see a test where the robot were adjusted to give a soft and hard ball the same launch conditions (angle, speed, and spin, if possible) and see what happens. Any differences in total distance should be related to dimple pattern. Maybe the easiest way would be launch them out of an air cannon, but then the spin may be harder to control.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

6 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I'm hoping the sound and feel is featured as well as tech stats, particularly the Driver sound and putter sound for each ball.

I don't think there was anything involved other than the robot, but I'm sure there aren't many of us who know what is going down, and those who do, aren't gonna say anything 😎

Like @chisag said, I can't imagine Titleist not making a very strong showing, but I don't think it's going to win Most Wanted. For me, the TP5x has performed wonderfully, and I'm going to continue to play it for the rest of the year. It seems counter-intuitive in my mind for me to play an X ball when dudes with so much more power than I have are playing the regular TP5 on tour, but my eyes love how much higher these seem to go for me. The best part is that it doesn't FEEL hard. Off of the iron face it's as soft feeling as a Chromesoft IMO, but it doesn't feel like a marshmallow at the same time. I hope they bring back MyNumber for the TP5 line so I can order all #33 next go around.

I'm still going to try the Most Wanted ball, unless it's something I already gave a thorough testing to.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I think the findings are going to have to present a VERY compelling case to cause me to change balls.  I really like the way the TP5X performs, as well as how the Snell Black performs.  Both seem to suit my game well.  Snell fits my wallet better.  🙂

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I don't necessarily think I will go out and buy the Most Wanted ball. We know from all the other tests that the winner isn't the best ball for all, just for most. MGS will always encourage you to test and get fit rather then follow their advice blindly. I'm really more interested in who does poorly then who does well (maybe it means I'm an *******). If I'm not playing the "best" ball but I like it, I'm good with that. If I'm playing a ball proven to be poor, well that would push me more.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I also imagine any ball going to tour players is not treated the same as ones headed for packaging. I would imagine they are testing them and only sending the best of the best to their pros. Unless they have really tight QC tolerances, but I can't imagine Phil Mickelson getting a lemon and me getting the best single chrome soft ball ever produced. Whether or not that's ethical or even whether we should be okay with that is another matter.

Sam Burns on Tour is from N Louisiana, and in speaking with his buddies, there isn’t anything those guys play that is the same as what we play. The balls they play are specifically fitted to them, not just clubs, and one of my former players went through that process at Titleist. The companies can say all they want that we play what pros play, but when one has connections on the Tour, it’s obvious it’s not always true...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Seems to me the better test would have been to pit the Z-Star XV vs the Pro V1X?

They weren’t testing balls vs each other, they just happened to notice a loss of distance one day. A five yard difference across any selection of “top-tier” balls is too significant of a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

14 hours ago, newballcoach said:

I don't necessarily think I will go out and buy the Most Wanted ball. We know from all the other tests that the winner isn't the best ball for all, just for most. MGS will always encourage you to test and get fit rather then follow their advice blindly. I'm really more interested in who does poorly then who does well (maybe it means I'm an *******). If I'm not playing the "best" ball but I like it, I'm good with that. If I'm playing a ball proven to be poor, well that would push me more.

I don't plan on buying the most wanted ball. However, the company or the ball that is most consistent - say compression will influence my decision. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Like others have mentioned, I don't see myself stocking up on the so-called winner, but I'll most likely take the top three into consideration. I hope they're balls that I've already been playing 😎

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

They weren’t testing balls vs each other, they just happened to notice a loss of distance one day. A five yard difference across any selection of “top-tier” balls is too significant of a difference.

... I am not surprised. Compression makes a big difference at different clubbed speeds. Matt has a 120+ clubbed speed and I can see where a Z Star travels shorter than a Z Star XV. At around 100mph swing speed I found the exact opposite and the lower compression Z Star was longer than the XV. I imagine someone swinging 85 mph may find an even lower compression ball might travel farther than a Z Star. So again the mantra of "get fitted" definitely applies to golf balls. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... I am not surprised. Compression makes a big difference at different clubbed speeds. Matt has a 120+ clubbed speed and I can see where a Z Star travels shorter than a Z Star XV. At around 100mph swing speed I found the exact opposite and the lower compression Z Star was longer than the XV. I imagine someone swinging 85 mph may find an even lower compression ball might travel farther than a Z Star. So again the mantra of "get fitted" definitely applies to golf balls. 

Dean Snell has said that compression really doesn't make a difference at the low end of the spectrum. I haven't seen any data that refutes him.

That being said a low compression ball will spin less than a high compression ball, all things being equal. And knocking off spin will also usually add to distance. Of course things aren't always equal with golf balls. You can make a firmer ball that spins less.

Ping Traverse
King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60
TEE E8 4W, 7W
Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
TEE CB PROs 60*
Scotty Cameron Squareback

I'm fairly committed to the MTB Black, but I'm very interested to see which ball is Most Wanted along with all the data behind the testing. 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

11 minutes ago, mr.hicksta said:

I'm fairly committed to the MTB Black, but I'm very interested to see which ball is Most Wanted along with all the data behind the testing. 

Man, I keep hearing everything about the Snell Black and how great they are. I cannot wait for my tee time in the morning to finally get to try them out.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I've not even sniffed these balls, maybe I should. MGS will point me to the holy grail of balls for me 😃

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I don’t want to say I can’t wait for the results, but these results seem like they will be eye opening for a lot of people, including some management folks at some of these ball companies. All of the major ball companies seem to claim “something” about their specific golf ball. If this test shows some negative results for one or more of the companies, it could affect the bottom line. What happens when all of a sudden the Over the counter ProV1 does not perform consistently? I’m not saying that is what will happen, but that is a very well used golf ball by millions of golfers, what happens if all of them find out the ball is being outperformed by the K-sig in all categories. I used the ProV as an example You could easily insert any of the Major OEM Golf balls.  We all think that  because they are the Major OEM’s they have access to better facilities for quality management, but, do they really? The results will be interesting. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I was just at a demo days chatting with the Bridgestone rep, who was well award of this pending report and anxiously awaiting to hear the results.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I was just at a demo days chatting with the Bridgestone rep, who was well award of this pending report and anxiously awaiting to hear the results.  

I'll bet the QC and marketing guys at all the OEM's are anxiously awaiting results.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

I'll bet the QC and marketing guys at all the OEM's are anxiously awaiting results.

I think some of the QC guys are anxiously “evacuating” Top Flites right now. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

So not Monday is it? I think it is getting closer

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Hopefully MGS headquarters has enough bandwidth otherwise the servers are going to crash when the report comes out! 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I think I am more excited to read the comments......why didn't you test X;  I play this ball and it is the best ever, your test is wrong;  why didn't you test the ball at Y swing speed,  I am sure that the weather impacted the performance of the ball on the GC Quad;  etc.....

Now that they used a robot everyone will complain they used a robot.

You just can’t win!

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

You just can’t win!

Tomorrow is going to be so much fun reading the comments.

And, I’ll end up having to do real work tomorrow and have to wait to get home to enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Please tell me it's VICE. I just bought a mix of 35 dozen Vice Pro and Pro+ 

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

1 minute ago, Kanoito said:

Please tell me it's VICE. I just bought a mix of 35 dozen Vice Pro and Pro+ 

😱

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

3 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Oh boy - somethings going to hit the fan tomorrow 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

23 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Oh boy - somethings going to hit the fan tomorrow 

Yup. I'm assuming there will be criticisms of the methodology, analysis, etc. All the hallmarks of an important study. 

I can already envivion people saying things like "if you had used x or y club instead of z, the results would be different." 

2 hours ago, Wedgie said:

You just can’t win!

... While I enjoy reading results of actual golfers in any test, having a small number of players at different swing speeds do not tell me much or anything really about how X-Product relates to me. 100mph driver swing speed from someone with a short hard hitting motion can be quite different than someone with a long smooth swinging motion. Maybe completely different AOA's, different ball flight, different spin as well as different shot shapes. And of course personal preference. As we all know looking down at a club that does not suit your eye can cause a less than ideal swing, just like a club that is beautiful at address can inspire confidence and a better swing. 

... A robot does none of the above so I am looking forward to the MGS final unbiased and purely analytical test results. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

24 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Yup. I'm assuming there will be criticisms of the methodology, analysis, etc. All the hallmarks of an important study. 

I can already envivion people saying things like "if you had used x or y club instead of z, the results would be different." 

177 comments and counting on the same Instagram post. 

All the dissenters would be wise to remember these words by Daniel Patrick Moynihan...

You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/