Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

1 hour ago, SmoothG said:

Two balls that I have not tried yet but am interested to try after seeing results is the Vice Pro and OnCore Elixr.  If you end up giving the Elixr a go, I'd be very interested to see a comparison post on your thoughts. 

I ordered the Elixir after reading the results.  It definitely seems to be an outlier and provide better than expected results.  

One thing I noticed about the Vice Pro is, according to the charts and my experience, it is a great ball for getting in the fairway.  I've used Snell Black, Tour B RX, and Vice Pro extensively indoors and can't see any differences except the Snell feels a little better off the putter.  The Vice Pro feels better off the irons.

Since I need distance, the Elixir may be a good option for me.  I'll let you know.  I hope they show up for my round on Saturday (3 days from now).

Wouldn't it be great if any new or updated balls released in the future would be submitted to MGS for this same test methodology so we, as consumers, could evaluate them based on what we currently see in these charts.  I know it will never happen, but I know in my case, I will be very skeptical of claims made by ball manufacturers.

I was watching the final round of the LPGA La event this past Sunday and up pops a Srixon irons ad with the "Most Wanted MGS logo on the ad. 

Would't be fun to start seeing the Titleist and other golf ball TV and print ads with "MGS Top Performer" logo on them. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I thought the same thing - especially when the irons are actually 4 yards longer.  I've always felt the TP5X was a bit of a longer ball anyways - especially with irons, so this matches up with that.  I don't do any sort of measuring with most drives so it's difficult for me to tell if I'm longer/shorter with the driver, but with irons you clearly know the yardage into a green.

I’d wager a lot of it has to do with efficiency in flight from the dimple pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

2 hours ago, mooremikea said:

It seems like they should almost be equal.  

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

That is a bit of a puzzle.

I would venture to say it has to do with either manufacturing quality and/or dimple patterns and depth.  Or Dean Snell is a grey wizard and shall further be known as Gandalf.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

One thing I think is missing, unless somehow I missed it, how did they place the balls in their respective categories (i.e. excellent, very good, etc.). I assume it is some combination of distance and shot area? Personally, I would like to see more details on that side of it.

Admittedly, I am out of town for work and have really only scanned the post, so it may be there.

1 minute ago, JohnSmalls said:

I would venture to say it has to do with either manufacturing quality and/or dimple patterns and depth.

I would guess that any difference that doesn't make logical sense has to be a result of aerodynamics. Once the ball has left the club face, aerodynamics is the only thing that really matters.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

8 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

One thing I think is missing, unless somehow I missed it, how did they place the balls in their respective categories (i.e. excellent, very good, etc.). I assume it is some combination of distance and shot area? Personally, I would like to see more details on that side of it.

Admittedly, I am out of town for work and have really only scanned the post, so it may be there.

I would guess that any difference that doesn't make logical sense has to be a result of aerodynamics. Once the ball has left the club face, aerodynamics is the only thing that really matters.

Another thing not explained in the report is how they went about placing the balls on the tee. I would think that if you could identify the variances in physical properties prior to placing the ball on the tee and align them a certain way that the results would be different. Maybe not better, but certainly different. I submitted a comment to the blog regarding this so hopefully Tony will respond.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I believe I will try some Pro V1X, and Some tour B X.  

The Snells, as far as they went, and as spinny as they spun, have a massive shot area compared to everything else.  Am I reading that right? 

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

3 hours ago, bens197 said:

I’m just going to throw this out there as an interlude.

This is a ridiculously comprehensive test that many of us will utilize for our own benefit.

Consider a donation for the effort. I’m not just saying this to sound all holier than thou. I’m sending something today because I believe in the mission these guys have established.

Carry on with your day...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Agree to this. MGS helps me find a ball that keeps me on the fairway, means I have to spend less money buying balls... might as well pass the savings to MGS!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

3 hours ago, bens197 said:

I’m just going to throw this out there as an interlude.

This is a ridiculously comprehensive test that many of us will utilize for our own benefit.

Consider a donation for the effort. I’m not just saying this to sound all holier than thou. I’m sending something today because I believe in the mission these guys have established.

Carry on with your day...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I am efforting a donation as we speak!  It's more than earned by the guys.

I missed all of this thread last week, and only got the announcement about the test last night; a little light reading before I fell asleep.  It did take me 1.5 hours to read all of your comments, thank you very much; most interesting!

The data in the test does not seem all that unusual, at least from my playing experiences.  Yes, I have a slower swing speed but soft balls fly less for me than higher compression balls like the test says.  That's good because the higher compression balls also spin more around the green, which I need too.  I am happy to play any of the tour balls; PV1 TP5, and Z-Star are my top choices.

I have a few of the KSig 3-piece balls left, but I did not find them to be a good ball for my game; definitely shorter and less spin.  I have plenty of the original KSig 4-piece balls, and I will stick with those until the next MGS ball test comes out.  It will probably take me that long to parse the data to select a few balls to consider.

Oh BTW, it's been rumored that if you lefties head to the southern hemisphere, the right-handed balls work just fine!  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I have a few of the KSig 3-piece balls left, but I did not find them to be a good ball for my game; definitely shorter and less spin.  I have plenty of the original KSig 4-piece balls, and I will stick with those until the next MGS ball test comes out.  It will probably take me that long to parse the data to select a few balls to consider.

... Intersting Kenny. I have tried plenty of balls that did not spin enough. But the Kirkland 3 piece is the only ball I have played that spun too much. I just cannot control short iron spin and balls a little offline draw/fade more than any other ball I have played. I do love the Kirkland 4 piece and still have a couple dozen left over but I gave the 3 piece balls to my wife that can use the additional spin. Obviously ymmv ...

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Just getting to catch up from where I left off before the weekend. What an awesome test and response from the MGS community. I love having all this data to read over and check out. 

I am disappointed the Chrome Soft X finished so low. I have had some success with it, and do enjoy the soft feel, but I may need to look at other options. The lack of distance and spin in most areas is a concern. I have always liked the Srixon's and I have a combination of them and some Bridgestone's right now that I will have to hit into the woods to see if I figure out a new ball to play. I definitely like the way the Bridgestone Bx performed as well.

But I'm a guy who likes to save a bit of money. I buy last years golfballs on sale (or when there are sales) I don't like to pay full price for them, so maybe the oncore or snell are more up my alley. Even at their biggest discount numbers, they are still $40/dozen Canadian, while the Srixon is $50 and in stores, not a ton of savings there (and before any shipping costs).

Haven't had a chance to view the comments yet but as I am staring at a Snell Golf ad banner, I wonder how many are going to accuse MGS of selling out?

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

15 minutes ago, newballcoach said:

But I'm a guy who likes to save a bit of money. I buy last years golfballs on sale (or when there are sales) I don't like to pay full price for them, so maybe the oncore or snell are more up my alley. Even at their biggest discount numbers, they are still $40/dozen Canadian, while the Srixon is $50 and in stores, not a ton of savings there (and before any shipping costs).

Haven't had a chance to view the comments yet but as I am staring at a Snell Golf ad banner, I wonder how many are going to accuse MGS of selling out?

... I now I am sounding like a broken record but not only are the Snells a great deal hen you buy at least 3 dozen drops the price to under $30 but the Maxfli Tour balls are on sale thru 5/4 at 2 for $50. Normally $34.99 so really a great deal on a ball that tested well. And keep in mind the variances of balls that may or may not have some off center issues, the Maxfli's are aligned for optimum performance off the tee or on the green where you can use the balanced alignment aid. MGS did not align the Maxfli's during the test and I would think there is a very good chance their test performance would be even better had they done so. But I understand why they didn't to keep things equal. 

... I have been writing reviews for over 20 years now and have been accused of "selling out" too many times to count, especially at WRX where I stopped posting reviews. I have absolutely no doubt MGS accepting advertising with Snell has zero influence on anything they do. It can be a catch 22 for the OEM when a site loves their product and they want to take advantage of the good press, at least for conspiracy theorists. 🙄

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Well looks like I'm going to have to get rid of those refurbished balls 😄

Been thinking about trying out the new Maxfli balls but was waiting for this, gonna have to head to Dick's this weekend 😀

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

2 hours ago, newballcoach said:

Just getting to catch up from where I left off before the weekend. What an awesome test and response from the MGS community. I love having all this data to read over and check out. 

I am disappointed the Chrome Soft X finished so low. I have had some success with it, and do enjoy the soft feel, but I may need to look at other options. The lack of distance and spin in most areas is a concern. I have always liked the Srixon's and I have a combination of them and some Bridgestone's right now that I will have to hit into the woods to see if I figure out a new ball to play. I definitely like the way the Bridgestone Bx performed as well.

Oh there are plenty of ruffled feathers for sure along with those who are yapping 'sell out'. But I don't think that's the case at all. Because if it were, the same could easily be said about Titleist since the Pro V1(X) received similar marks. That said though, I think the most important thing this test highlighted was the huge disparity in performance, which can make a difference for most amateur golfers. It will be interesting to see if the MGS test results in more thorough testing methodologies. If it does, that's a good thing because I believe more data = more informed purchases. Lastly, I've always laughed at how tribal people get over golf gear. Seems like most amateurs would be best served to play what will help them achieve lower scores and not try to get social media brownie points from a golf equipment/ball manufacturers. 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

When selecting balls that I have, or would play, a major dilemma presents itself: the distance of the Bridgestone Tour X off driver is about 9 yards longer than TP5X, but when switching to 7 iron, the distance and accuracy of the TP5X is significantly better! Wedge-wise, the Bridgestone had a smaller area offline by 6 yards.
One thing I find interesting in the wedge info is the MTB Black was offline by an avg of .453 yards with a shot area of 5.7 yards, but the TP5X was only offline by .007 more, .460, but had a shot area four times larger, 22.85 yards. What the heck?! More front-to-back distance dispersion????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I’ll be curious to see if anyone here switches their ball out that are in the good,fair or bad categories to one of the other two and how it affects their game and/or score positive or negative 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

@sgold7  So I spent the last two hours creating my own rankings based on the fast swing speed. I'm sorry I didn't do the slow swing speed but this is time consuming without the ability of having the raw data in excel format.

So my struggle was the statistical weight of each category. Should there be equal weight on the ball speed (difference of only 2.75% from top to bottom) and carry (6.5% difference) for the driver as the offline which showed a range of over 1000% and a shot area of over 1700%? Also, should the launch angle, which only showed a difference of 0.47* from the lowest to the highest, carry equal weight? For all three areas, I wanted to see which was the most consistent, not necessarily raw distance or super low spin or straightest. 

For the driver, with the small differences in ball speed and carry, I gave more weight on the spin (lower is better for me), offline, offline st dev, and shot area. 

For the 7 iron, it was the same issue...speed only saw a 1.7% change from top to bottom with carry at the same 6.5%. There wasn't much difference in the offline among the top, so more weight was given to the offline std dev. Spin (less is more for me), Shot area and carry st dev were given the most weight. 

I have my impact ranking (ball speed and spin) and my landing ranking (Carry, Offline and Area). Both actual and std dev were ranked with more weight on the actual than std dev. 

And if someone could show me how to upload my excel tables, I'd gladly share them with every over. My rankings are a little different than Sgold7 simply due to my personal weighting

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

@txgolfjunkie Good point, I only did mine for the 115 MPH swing speed as that's the closer data point to my own. 

As far as creating a table goes, copy/paste your excel data into "tabelizer" (google: tabelizer, paste your data into the large field, click 'tabalize' and then you can copy/paste your new HTML table into the post. Pretty simple. 

Seems like we had a similar strategy but we eached used our own gut feel with regard to weightings. 

How did you weight your final table? Regarding Driver v. 7i v. Wedge? 

:mizuno-small: ST 180 Driver & 3W

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4i-GW

:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges

The same putter I used since I was 12 years old

#TrustTheProcess 

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I cannot say this loud or strongly enough....

If you haven't yet, scan the comments at the end of the article and look for those where Tony responded.  

He has some fantastic responses to fair and legitimate questions.

Well worth your time.  WELL worth it.

Absolutely.  I just got done reading them.  I don't think I have a question that he hasn't already answered, and there's some great information in his responses that you don't necessarily get from the report.  Almost as valuable as the report itself.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Edit: Still working on table formatting. 

My rankings show a DTC at the top...actually 3 of the top 7 are DTC...just not the ones you might think. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

2 hours ago, mr.hicksta said:

Lastly, I've always laughed at how tribal people get over golf gear. Seems like most amateurs would be best served to play what will help them achieve lower scores and not try to get social media brownie points from a golf equipment/ball manufacturers. 

giphy.gif

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Wow - so much analytic work going on!

seems to me that this is almost overkill to the Nth degree. These stats are derived from a robot that hits pretty close to the same every time.    I don’t... does 3-8 yards difference .... sometimes,... make that much of a difference? I’m playing a wad of ProV’s right now and I like em. I played a wad of chrome softs a few months ago and I liked em too. But it seems this report will make everyone sell them for next to nothing because they’re too “soft”. But how I shot a -1 using those junk chrome softs is unfathomable isn’t it? I also shot a 96 at the same track with Pro Vees. Whaaaat? How can that be?

I think the best piece of advice from the whole enchilada was to “pick a ball and play it”.  Unfortunately tho, we’ll probably never know if any handicaps make a big move based on use of a single brand of ball. I think I already knew the PV1x and the srixon Z were good balls. I suppose it’s nice to learn there are lots of other “good” balls out there at bargain prices too. I’m just not good enough to make a ball decision to use exclusively from now on. 

Its all cool Info and a great piece for sure - will it affect average scores significantly? I doubt it...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I've made an initial pass through the 2019 Golf Ball Buyers Guide. Very impressive and detailed I thought. I know the MGS staff must have put in many long hours to pull this off.  I was surprised by the Callaway showing. Not surprising that PV1 and PV1x are in the Excellent category. 

For my game I think most any ball from Excellent to Very Good will play without much difference day to day. Even a few Good ranked balls such as MG-C4, K-Sig play well I've found. Scored some of my best rounds ever with these Good balls. One point I'll make and have done so before is that; Tour Pros don't have some mysterious 6th sense that us lowly amateurs are missing. It's been written many times how Pros just know or can "feel" minuscule differences in a ball for example where people like us simply can't. Hog wash. The difference is they have an army of folks who micro manage ever detail of their game and equipment. Including making sure the balls they put in play are as close to perfect as humanly possible. The rest of us get the culls. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have played a lot of the balls on this report and there are many that I haven't played. My individual results fit right in line with the results of the test. Some are better than others, some work for me that won't work for you. As with everything that MGS does it is a starting point, granted this one is like starting 100 yard dash 50 yards ahead of everyone else, but it still is just a starting point. Do what you would like with the data, I think the more data the better, but it is not the end game.

Individual results will vary. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

11 hours ago, MattF said:

So, my brand of choice for the past few years is still coming up trumps. But combining the data on the tables to get closer to my swing speed it looks like I need to play 2 balls, the MTB-X off the tee and the MTB Black everywhere else.

I wonder if Snell can come up with a ball that combines both? 🤔

I need to restock and think I'll get 2 dozen of one and 3 dozen of the other and see what happens.

Thanks to all the staff for all the hard work.

Matt, I don’t know if you saw my post on the MTB X, but in my review of it, I said I like the X off the tee and on the green, but prefer the black for everything in between. So I feel the same way as you, let’s combine them. I have been using the MTB X for the last few rounds just to give it a really good effort with it. I do like it. After this ball testing I will stick with the X, and then use the Black during the winter months as it is softer, but with the cold temps it will feel firmer. 

Edited by Kor.A.Door

Lefties are always in their Right Mind