TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

I've personally tested the Bridgestone b x and b xs, on a launch monitor and on the course. I found the inverse of the mgs report for those balls. The b xs was lower spinning, tighter dispersion, and longer. I hit 7-10 shots per club, per ball with wedge, 8, 6, and 4. I then took the balls on the course and found the b xs to be 1/2 club longer off the irons and equal distance off the driver. The b xs was closer to the performance of the old b330. It seems to me that Bridgestone changed the dynamics from the b330 and b330s. I figured the b x would be closest to the b330 but it wasn't. 

Anyone else have similar results with the b x and b xs?

I’m almost in information overload here. I was holding off on picking my first “good” ball until this report and now I feel almost paralysis by analysis.

I carry my decent drives around 220-230 with my current gamer (Wilson Staff 50/50 elite) and around 135-145 with my 7. I’ve been clocked as high as 101 on a GC2 but averaged around 94-96 on my fitting. Big miss is a huge slice that will still carry 220+ but end up 1-2 fairways right. That’s what scares me off the tee more than anything.

In my initial research prior to this report I thought I had found my new ball in the E12 soft/speed or Q Star tour but the dispersion of the Q Star has me terrified that it could accentuate that bad miss.

Edited by icantbebigwill

Oh BTW, it's been rumored that if you lefties head to the southern hemisphere, the right-handed balls work just fine!  🤣

It's no wonder I played so well when we were in Australia

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Here goes nothing...(edited to just attach photos to post because I can't get the HTML code to post the table correctly)...

1297113464_BallTestComplete.JPG.beb821680703c126effb2052b892c50a.JPG

So here are my results, according to my selfish needs in a golf ball. These are strictly from the 115mph swing speed. Also, I eliminated the Srixon Yellow ball because the table on MGS kept moving around with 36 balls in the table and stayed perfect at 35 balls. 

For each club, I looked at Ball Speed, Spin and Spin Std Dev at impact and then Carry, Carry Std Dev, Offline, Offline Std Dev, and Shot area. Each category received different weighting after looking at the results from MGS and depending on my needs (I'm a high spin player and need low spin off the tee and 7 iron while I need high/consistent spin around the greens...cause who doesn't?!). 

For Driver, I gave a full credit point of the weight of the results to Offline, Offline Std Dev and shot area. The carry Std Dev showed good discrepancy so it was given three quarters credit while the spin was given half the credit. The ball speeds and carry distances were all similar (percentage wise) so they were all give a quarter credit of the weight.

Notes from results: At impact, the MG Tour, TP5X, Tour B RX, ERC Soft, and Tour B X finished in the top five for highest ball speeds combined with lowest spin. Again, I need low spin off the tee so while the Snell MTB-X had the highest ball speed, it was 11th in driver spin. As far as consistency upon the ball landing (which carries a lot of weight in my analysis), the Cut Blue was the straightest, and flew the most consistent. It was the middle of the pack in distance, but was 3rd in Offline, 4th in Offline Std Dev and 6th in Shot Area. The Vice Pro, Z Star, TP5 and Vice Pro Soft rounded out the top 5 in straightest, most consistent ball flight. 

For 7 iron, once again the ball speeds and carry distances received a quarter credit due to very similar results across all 35 balls. The Spin Std Dev, Shot area, and Offline Std Dev all received half credit, the Spin (lower is better for my game) and Carry Std Dev received three-quarter credit and the Offline received a full credit. Why? Because that's what I view most important on the approach shot...will it travel straight and carry a consistent distance. 

Notes from results: The Volvik Vivid Soft was the winner at impact with it's low, yet consistent spin. The Vice Pro Soft, Titleist AVX, Chrome Soft X and Tour B RX finished out the top five for best impact results. Now, I'm not looking for the longest, lowest spinning ball out there, I want a ball that will do what I expect it to do time and time again. The best approach golf ball with a 7 iron was the Srixon Z Star XV. The Std Dev on the carry and nearly straight ball flight help win the category. Though it finished middle of the pack on the offline std dev, it still held off to beat the Vice Pro Soft, Srixon Z Star, Pro V1x and Chrome Soft X. 

For Wedge, there are some categories where the difference between first and last was very small in total and in percentage. At 85 yards, most golf balls launched at the same speed, carried the same distance, and stayed relatively straight. My main focus was on spin (higher the better for me) and on spin std dev. For that, the Pro V1 and TP5X spun the most consistently with the Kirkland, Mizuno Tour X and Chrome Soft right behind them. 

Overall, any of my top 10 would probably suffice and you're really just picking and choosing qualities you want in a ball. Do you want raw distance? Do you want consistent distance? Do you want a low spinning ball off the tee and a high spinning ball off the wedge? My opinion changes every time I look at the supporting data for this chart. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

1 hour ago, icantbebigwill said:

my current gamer (Wilson Staff 50/50 elite) 

My $0.02 ain't even worth 2¢ but.. tried a few of those once (clearance table at PGATSS) and for me, a high handicapper hacker, felt like it had a harder cover than I prefer. Absolutely no clue if that has any effect .. or not .. on spin, dispersion, etc...?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, txgolfjunkie said:

Here goes nothing...(edited to just attach photos to post because I can't get the HTML code to post the table correctly)...

So here are my results, according to my selfish needs in a golf ball. These are strictly from the 115mph swing speed. Also, I eliminated the Srixon Yellow ball because the table on MGS kept moving around with 36 balls in the table and stayed perfect at 35 balls. 

For each club, I looked at Ball Speed, Spin and Spin Std Dev at impact and then Carry, Carry Std Dev, Offline, Offline Std Dev, and Shot area. Each category received different weighting after looking at the results from MGS and depending on my needs (I'm a high spin player and need low spin off the tee and 7 iron while I need high/consistent spin around the greens...cause who doesn't?!). 

For Driver, I gave a full credit point of the weight of the results to Offline, Offline Std Dev and shot area. The carry Std Dev showed good discrepancy so it was given three quarters credit while the spin was given half the credit. The ball speeds and carry distances were all similar (percentage wise) so they were all give a quarter credit of the weight.

Notes from results: At impact, the MG Tour, TP5X, Tour B RX, ERC Soft, and Tour B X finished in the top five for highest ball speeds combined with lowest spin. Again, I need low spin off the tee so while the Snell MTB-X had the highest ball speed, it was 11th in driver spin. As far as consistency upon the ball landing (which carries a lot of weight in my analysis), the Cut Blue was the straightest, and flew the most consistent. It was the middle of the pack in distance, but was 3rd in Offline, 4th in Offline Std Dev and 6th in Shot Area. The Vice Pro, Z Star, TP5 and Vice Pro Soft rounded out the top 5 in straightest, most consistent ball flight. 

For 7 iron, once again the ball speeds and carry distances received a quarter credit due to very similar results across all 35 balls. The Spin Std Dev, Shot area, and Offline Std Dev all received half credit, the Spin (lower is better for my game) and Carry Std Dev received three-quarter credit and the Offline received a full credit. Why? Because that's what I view most important on the approach shot...will it travel straight and carry a consistent distance. 

Notes from results: The Volvik Vivid Soft was the winner at impact with it's low, yet consistent spin. The Vice Pro Soft, Titleist AVX, Chrome Soft X and Tour B RX finished out the top five for best impact results. Now, I'm not looking for the longest, lowest spinning ball out there, I want a ball that will do what I expect it to do time and time again. The best approach golf ball with a 7 iron was the Srixon Z Star XV. The Std Dev on the carry and nearly straight ball flight help win the category. Though it finished middle of the pack on the offline std dev, it still held off to beat the Vice Pro Soft, Srixon Z Star, Pro V1x and Chrome Soft X. 

For Wedge, there are some categories where the difference between first and last was very small in total and in percentage. At 85 yards, most golf balls launched at the same speed, carried the same distance, and stayed relatively straight. My main focus was on spin (higher the better for me) and on spin std dev. For that, the Pro V1 and TP5X spun the most consistently with the Kirkland, Mizuno Tour X and Chrome Soft right behind them. 

Overall, any of my top 10 would probably suffice and you're really just picking and choosing qualities you want in a ball. Do you want raw distance? Do you want consistent distance? Do you want a low spinning ball off the tee and a high spinning ball off the wedge? My opinion changes every time I look at the supporting data for this chart. 

Thanks for posting this, gave me the idea to the same for myself and when factoring in the most important things to me (Offline, Shot Area, Drive Distance) The Vice Pro, zStar, and Pro v's rise to the top.  Given the huge price discrepancy when ordering 5+ I think I'm going to go all in with the Vice Pro.

7 hours ago, chisag said:

... I now I am sounding like a broken record but not only are the Snells a great deal hen you buy at least 3 dozen drops the price to under $30 but the Maxfli Tour balls are on sale thru 5/4 at 2 for $50. Normally $34.99 so really a great deal on a ball that tested well. And keep in mind the variances of balls that may or may not have some off center issues, the Maxfli's are aligned for optimum performance off the tee or on the green where you can use the balanced alignment aid. MGS did not align the Maxfli's during the test and I would think there is a very good chance their test performance would be even better had they done so. But I understand why they didn't to keep things equal. 

... I have been writing reviews for over 20 years now and have been accused of "selling out" too many times to count, especially at WRX where I stopped posting reviews. I have absolutely no doubt MGS accepting advertising with Snell has zero influence on anything they do. It can be a catch 22 for the OEM when a site loves their product and they want to take advantage of the good press, at least for conspiracy theorists. 🙄 

I was not intending to make it seem as I thought Snell had any influence over MGS, just that many will perceive it that way. Similar arguments have been made about Tour Edge, Tommy Armour and EvnRoll as MGS takes advertising dollars from them.

Maxfli balls seem like a great option. They don't seem to be available in Canada though, so get as many on sale boxes as you can, but I'm not going to be able to take part. The treatment golfers in Canada get (despite having one of the highest golfers per capita in the WORLD) is criminal as we miss out on lots of companies selling up here and the prices are terrible.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

7 hours ago, chisag said:

... I now I am sounding like a broken record but not only are the Snells a great deal hen you buy at least 3 dozen drops the price to under $30 but the Maxfli Tour balls are on sale thru 5/4 at 2 for $50. Normally $34.99 so really a great deal on a ball that tested well. And keep in mind the variances of balls that may or may not have some off center issues, the Maxfli's are aligned for optimum performance off the tee or on the green where you can use the balanced alignment aid. MGS did not align the Maxfli's during the test and I would think there is a very good chance their test performance would be even better had they done so. But I understand why they didn't to keep things equal. 

... I have been writing reviews for over 20 years now and have been accused of "selling out" too many times to count, especially at WRX where I stopped posting reviews. I have absolutely no doubt MGS accepting advertising with Snell has zero influence on anything they do. It can be a catch 22 for the OEM when a site loves their product and they want to take advantage of the good press, at least for conspiracy theorists. 🙄

Haters gonna hate, I really enjoy your reviews.

7 hours ago, sgold7 said:

I love data and I'm glad the MGS crew gave us all of theirs! I'm also a fan of trying to use the data to draw my own conclusions; when my conclusions are corroborated by the MGS crew it's better than me going into my spreadsheets with preconceived notions. 

Biases:

I used the Pro Plus in the first half of '18 and V1x's in the second half. I'm a huge Tiger fan so I'm partial to the Bridgestone as well, though I do enjoy looking down at the clean cursive "Titleist" on the ball. I play Mizuno clubs and used a Mizuno baseball glove since high school and it's been 10 years with that glove still playing softball, so I do like their products. 

Lastly, my game is steadily improving from never breaking 100 last year at this time to shooting sub-90s in the hardest course in the area now with a career low of 81. I smash the ball, over 115 MPH swing speed (improved from 116 to 121 thanks to the Super Speed sticks and documented my progress in that thread)--- but the problem is it doesn't go straight. I fight a major slice and use mostly 3W off the tee because I can still get it out there around 265+. 

My ball flight is getting to be much more consistent (draw) and my touch around the green is improving. I love the way the V1x's feel off the putter and around the green. "They Say" you should start around the green and work back when testing balls, so I'm hesitant to switch from the V1x--- but I'm not doing my due diligence if I'm not running the numbers myself and testing a few others. So here's what I did:

I took all the balls I'd consider (tour balls from Bridgestone, Titleist, Snell, Srixon, & Vice) and found Z-Scores in each category I deemed important for each phase of the game. I then weighted each component that was tested and got a final Z-Score (real quick Z-Score primer: 0 is average. +1 is better than 66% of the comp. +2 is better than 95% of the comp. Minuses are inverse.). For the driver I weighted distance the most, dispersion the second most, etc. For the wedges I didn't weight distance at all, weighted shot area and offline pretty heavily--- though I did weigh the STDev of the distance (I don't care how far the wedges go, as long as they go the same distance every time). 

I'd be more than happy to go as in depth on my weightings if you guys want to get into the minutia but I'll try and keep it a bit less granular for post one...

Driver:

(the final column on the right is 'Distance 50%, Offline 25%, and spin 25%'. I left launch out of the calculation because if something is long and straight I don't really care if it's high or low launch). Numbers at the bottom, top is average, bottom is STDEV.

Driver Carry Offline Launch Spin zCarry zOff zLAng zSpin Grade
Snell MTB-X 289 8.6 12.3 2206 2.24 -0.66 0.27 0.57 1.09
Bridgestone Tour BX 286 3.4 12.4 2171 1.34 0.67 1.08 0.90 1.06
Srixon Qstar Tour 283 1.7 12.3 2129 0.44 1.11 0.27 1.29 0.82
Titelist Pro V1x 282 4 12.3 2254 0.14 0.52 0.27 0.13 0.23
Bridgestone Tour B RX 282 7.9 12.3 2163 0.14 -0.48 0.27 0.98 0.19
Titelist Pro V1 281 5.1 12.4 2240 -0.16 0.24 1.08 0.26 0.04
Srixon Zstar 281 3 12.2 2307 -0.16 0.78 -0.54 -0.37 0.02
Vice Pro 279 0.5 12.3 2270 -0.76 1.41 0.27 -0.02 -0.03
Snell MTB Black 280 5.4 12.3 2205 -0.46 0.16 0.27 0.58 -0.04
Bridgestone Tour B XS 282 6.4 12.1 2367 0.14 -0.09 -1.35 -0.93 -0.18
Mizuno RB Tour 285 11.2 12.1 2460 1.04 -1.32 -1.35 -1.80 -0.25
Bridgestone Tour B RXS 278 0.6 12.4 2331 -1.06 1.39 1.08 -0.59 -0.33
Srixon Zstar XV 281 12.5 12.4 2248 -0.16 -1.65 1.08 0.18 -0.44
Vice Pro Plus 276 9.1 12.2 2171 -1.66 -0.78 -0.54 0.90 -0.80
Mizuno RB Tour X 278 11.1 12 2492 -1.06 -1.30 -2.16 -2.09 -1.37

281.5 6.03 12.2 2267.6          
  3.33 3.91 0.12 107.1          

Takeaways & Questions:

If you don't care about anything but distance, the Snell MTB-X is the no brainier, but that strong negative grade in zOff gives me hesitation (Offline pretty significantly more than the other top-tier driving balls). The BStone Tour BX and the QStar Tour would be the balls I'd play if I only did this analysis on driver. The Titleist and the other Bridgestone right behind were good to see. There seem to be 5-6 balls that are a clear notch or two above the rest---but as everyone and their mother says regarding fittings, focus on the wedges and irons. 

7 Iron

7 Iron Carry Carry STD Offline Offline STD Shot Area Langle Spin Carry Carry STD Offline Offline STD Shot Area Langle Spin  
Srixon Zstar XV 195.7 0.81 2.49 3.02 31 16.7 5985 -0.33 1.86 2.08 -0.21 1.04 -0.71 0.52 0.83
Titelist Pro V1x 197.3 1.41 5.48 2.07 37 16.7 6022 0.24 1.15 -0.16 0.68 0.93 -0.71 0.60 0.57
Bridgestone Tour B RXS 203.4 2.65 4.37 1.41 47 17.5 4994 2.38 -0.32 0.67 1.29 0.74 1.62 -1.74 0.50
Bridgestone Tour B XS 193.8 3.07 4.49 0.81 31 16.6 6000 -0.99 -0.82 0.58 1.85 1.04 -1.00 0.55 0.37
Mizuno RB Tour X 193.8 1.69 5.76 2.21 47 16.7 6365 -0.99 0.82 -0.36 0.55 0.74 -0.71 1.39 0.36
Srixon Zstar 196 1.12 7.38 1.98 28 17 5634 -0.22 1.49 -1.58 0.76 1.10 0.17 -0.28 0.21
Vice Pro 196.9 2.06 5.76 2.13 55 17 5619 0.10 0.38 -0.36 0.62 0.59 0.17 -0.31 0.17
Mizuno RB Tour 192.5 2.25 5.45 2.28 65 16.5 6423 -1.45 0.15 -0.13 0.48 0.41 -1.29 1.52 0.16
Vice Pro Plus 196.9 2.65 6.14 2.67 89 17.1 5510 0.10 -0.32 -0.65 0.12 -0.04 0.46 -0.56 -0.23
Srixon Qstar Tour 199.7 2.79 2.55 4.18 147 17.6 5045 1.08 -0.49 2.03 -1.29 -1.12 1.92 -1.62 -0.23
Snell MTB-X 194 2.06 6.48 4.01 104 16.6 6134 -0.92 0.38 -0.90 -1.13 -0.32 -1.00 0.86 -0.34
Titelist Pro V1 196.3 3.25 6.16 3.34 137 16.85 5968 -0.11 -1.04 -0.66 -0.51 -0.93 -0.27 0.48 -0.46
Bridgestone Tour B RX 200.6 2.93 5.07 4.39 162 17.4 5188 1.40 -0.66 0.15 -1.49 -1.40 1.33 -1.30 -0.55
Snell MTB Black 196.1 3.27 5.69 3.64 150 17.1 5691 -0.19 -1.06 -0.31 -0.79 -1.18 0.46 -0.15 -0.61
Bridgestone Tour B X 196.4 3.65 5.81 3.79 173 16.8 5773 -0.08 -1.51 -0.40 -0.93 -1.60 -0.42 0.04 -0.75

196.63 2.38 5.27 2.80 86.87 16.94 5756.73                
  2.84 0.84 1.34 1.07 53.68 0.34 438.65                

Takeaways:

I weighted six categories equally for the 7-iron test: Carry, Carry STDEV, Offline, Offline STD, Shot Area, Spin. So if you think about it, it's 2/6 distance, 3/6 accuracy, and 1/6 spin. Maybe I underrated spin a tad, and when re-adjusting it to make spin more important, nothing unexpected happened: The Mizuno balls jumped up to .57 and .44, the BStone Tour RXS dropped from .5 to .07. 

Frankly, I wasn't totally sure what I'm 'looking for' with regards to a longish iron like this. For me, a 7-iron is 175 yards so there isn't really too much to conclude regarding this. Good to see the V1x grade well. The Bridgestone Tour B X with the lowest ranking grade is a surprise after it was the best non-Snell driving ball. The dispersion grades on the Tour BX were all very positive with the driver but very low with the 7-iron. But the overall dispersion offline with the driver was 3.4 yards and with the 7-iron it's only 3.79. So the dispersion is similar, its just that the average dispersion with the driver is way above 3.4 while the 7-iron dispersion average is below. Interesting none-the-less. 

Wedges:

Wedges Spin Spin STD Carry STD Offline Offline STD Shot Area Spin Spn STD Cry STD Offline Off STD Area  
Vice Pro Plus 8993 77 4 0.07 9.3 11 -0.92 0.60 0.70 1.67 0.45 0.68 0.53
Titelist Pro V1 9519 44 4.5 0.29 8 28 0.63 1.11 0.49 0.73 0.73 -0.63 0.51
Bridgestone Tour B X 9523 58 4 0.3 12.1 17 0.64 0.89 0.70 0.68 -0.14 0.22 0.50
Titelist Pro V1x 9524 63 3.7 0.52 8.2 20 0.65 0.81 0.82 -0.26 0.69 -0.01 0.45
Snell MTB Black 9294 72 4.7 0.45 9 6 -0.03 0.67 0.41 0.04 0.52 1.07 0.45
Bridgestone Tour B XS 9364 58 8.8 0.52 5 8 0.18 0.89 -1.23 -0.26 1.37 0.91 0.31
Mizuno RB Tour X 9887 125 5.8 0.55 12 13 1.71 -0.15 -0.03 -0.39 -0.12 0.53 0.26
Srixon Zstar 9341 168 1.5 0.62 8 24 0.11 -0.81 1.70 -0.69 0.73 -0.32 0.12
Vice Pro 9147 104 5.8 0.59 7.6 10 -0.46 0.18 -0.03 -0.56 0.82 0.76 0.12
Bridgestone Tour B RX 8886 86 3.8 0.12 10.9 36 -1.23 0.46 0.78 1.46 0.11 -1.24 0.06
Snell MTB-X 9641 103 5.5 0.58 21.5 12 0.99 0.20 0.09 -0.52 -2.15 0.61 -0.13
Bridgestone Tour B RXS 8754 143 7.4 0.36 15.3 14 -1.62 -0.42 -0.67 0.42 -0.83 0.45 -0.44
Srixon Zstar XV 9421 138 7.5 0.47 9.5 54 0.34 -0.35 -0.71 -0.05 0.41 -2.63 -0.50
Mizuno RB Tour 9554 263 11.6 0.39 15 32 0.73 -2.28 -2.35 0.30 -0.76 -0.93 -0.88
Srixon Qstar Tour 8718 232 7.4 1.05 20 13 -1.72 -1.80 -0.67 -2.54 -1.83 0.53 -1.34

9304.4 115.6 5.7 0.5 11.4 19.9              
  340.1 64.6 2.5 0.2 4.7 13.0              

Takeaways: 

I just did an equal-weighting of the six factors here, which brings it to accuracy in 4/6 (carry STD, offline, offline STD, and shot area) and spin in 2/6 (spin and spin STD, though you could argue spin STD is more in the accuracy category. Regardless, the Vice Pro Plus graded out very well---but had one of the worst spin ratings. I should have probably weighted spin much higher as the accuracy numbers were so close together. 

There were 4 balls that graded very well in the spin category without any severe negatives: ProV1, V1x, BStone Tour B, and Mizuno Tour X. The Mizuno Tour X had the highest spin but graded out slightly negative in aggregate of the rest of the accuracy categories. The three others all had near-identical spin numbers (the V1 was the most consistent spinner) and the highest overall grade aside from the Vice Pro Plus. 

Questions: 

Before I go into the final table (an aggregate of all three shots) I'd like to pose this question:

*How would you weight each category for each swing? Meaning, would you keep the wedges at a 6-category average? Or would you raise the spin weighting to, say, 50% and then you have 50% spin and 50% accuracy? With the driver, is distance way more important than accuracy? Should i have 75% distance and 25% accuracy? Or maybe only 25% distance? I'm not expecting the weightings to change the overall findings too much, but I'd be happy to run different numbers. 

Final Table (fourth column is a 40/20/40 weighting, the last column is 33% each):

Ball Driver 7-Iron Wedge   40/20/40 33
Bridgestone Tour BX 1.06 0.37 0.31   0.62 0.58
Titelist Pro V1x 0.23 0.57 0.45   0.39 0.42
Snell MTB-X 1.10 -0.34 -0.13   0.32 0.21
Titelist Pro V1 0.04 -0.46 0.51   0.13 0.03
Srixon Zstar 0.02 0.21 0.12   0.10 0.12
Vice Pro -0.03 0.17 0.12   0.07 0.08
Snell MTB Black -0.04 -0.61 0.45   0.04 -0.07
Bridgestone Tour B RX 0.19 -0.55 0.06   -0.01 -0.10
Bridgestone Tour B XS -0.19 -0.75 0.50   -0.02 -0.15
Vice Pro Plus -0.80 -0.23 0.53   -0.15 -0.17
Bridgestone Tour B RXS -0.33 0.50 -0.44   -0.21 -0.09
Srixon Zstar XV -0.45 0.83 -0.50   -0.21 -0.04
Srixon Qstar Tour 0.82 -0.23 -1.34   -0.25 -0.25
Mizuno RB Tour X -1.38 0.36 0.26   -0.38 -0.25
Mizuno RB Tour -0.26 0.16 -0.88   -0.42 -0.33

So we went over some of the potential issues within each category but generally speaking, however you weight these, good driving balls will grade good and bad driving balls will grade poor. Lets not overcomplicate things too much... 

Takeaways:

The Bridgestone Tour BX has 'won' the competition! Right? Well, maybe. 

When the Snell guy comes out and says that all tour balls are good off the tee and we should be focusing on 100 yards and in, it's important to take note---especially considering Snell had the longest ball. When I miss-hit a drive, whether it's a V1x, a Bridgestone, a Snell or a tennis ball, it's missing 50 yards right. Period. So I put a lot more weighting into the non-driving stats. 

Because I value the iron and wedge play more, if I had to only use this data to make a decision... I'd probably be sticking with the V1x. Throughout every category across all shots it only has two slight negative grades (nothing worse than a -.3). The Tour BX had the highest iron carry standard deviation---which means the distance on iron shots is the least consistent of any ball. This is a major issue. It also had a pretty strong negative grade in the 'offline' category which means not only is there distance variance but there's side to side variance culminating in a shot area grade of -1.6, the worst of any ball. That's a major red flag. 

The other balls that will have me giving them a bit of consideration are polar opposites of each other: The Snell MTB-X and the Mizuno RB Tour X. One is the longest ball off the tee with negative iron and wedge grades (Snell). The other is a short ball off the tee with all kinds of inconsistencies (offline more than any ball but 2 with the least consistent launch angle and the least consistent spin numbers) but is a very accurate iron ball and is the highest-spinning wedge ball. I'm probably more interested in the Mizuno than the Snell but they both are intriguing. 

Lastly, aside from the Bridgestone BX and the Pro V1x, the Srizon ZStar is the only ball to grade positively in all three categories. The issue is it grades worse than the V1x in pretty much every single way. It's slightly shorter and less consistent on the tee (though slightly more accurate), slightly shorter and a good bit less accurate as a 7-iron (with less spin), and although it does have a more consistent carry distance it spins way less and is offline way more in the wedge play. 

In conclusion, my numbers backed up the MGS test pretty consistently. If I had to apply these balls to the grading scale MGS used it would look like this:

Excellent: Pro V1x - simply no faults. The only one that can say that.

Very good (would be excellent if not for one decent to significant sized fault): BStone Tour BX (7-iron accuracy is dead last), Srixson ZStar (7-iron accuracy is bad, wedge accuracy is below-average without plus spin)

Intriguing (Some major faults but so good in other areas, I'd consider giving them a shot): Mizuno RB Tour (The spiniest ball in both the 7-iron and wedge category by a wide margin, very accurate with the 7-iron ... but its significantly the worst driving ball (tied for second shortest carry (though a low launch angle helps but that's offset by more spin) and very poor accuracy grades in the driver category.

The ProV1 is also a quality ball but I know from prior testing I'm V1x >V1 so I didn't focus too much on the V1.

Hopefully a few people got thru this long-winded post and got something out of it. Is there anything else you guys would want me to take a look at regarding different weightings or adding any other balls? 

Cheers!

1 hour ago, txgolfjunkie said:

You two are bigger nerds than me, that's sayin something. Thanks for doing these, it's cool to see what people do with data and I wish I was better at Excel. The most work I ever put into it was to build a Daily Fantasy Sports (Draftkings) lineup optimizer for NBA and NFL. I was doing pretty good until the site got banned in Hawaii 😞

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

On 4/29/2019 at 12:18 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Compression matters. Slower speeds don’t compress some tour level balls that well. 

I supposed that makes sense. I didn't give it that much thought. My swing speed is around 108 mph so that is not to much of a concern for myself. However I'll remember this data the next time my two boys need balls.

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

2 hours ago, newballcoach said:

I was not intending to make it seem as I thought Snell had any influence over MGS, just that many will perceive it that way. Similar arguments have been made about Tour Edge, Tommy Armour and EvnRoll as MGS takes advertising dollars from them.

Maxfli balls seem like a great option. They don't seem to be available in Canada though, so get as many on sale boxes as you can, but I'm not going to be able to take part. The treatment golfers in Canada get (despite having one of the highest golfers per capita in the WORLD) is criminal as we miss out on lots of companies selling up here and the prices are terrible.

... That is the way I read your post. 👍  Others, or as I called them the conspiracy theorists, may wanna make much ado about nothing.  Bummer you can't get the Maxfli's in Canada. Canadian's certainly do love their golf! I played as a single most everyday here in Phoenix this winter and my guess is 60% of the people I have paired up with are from Canada. Played with a nice lady from Ontario today that played in college and she was a real treat to watch. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

7 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I've made an initial pass through the 2019 Golf Ball Buyers Guide. Very impressive and detailed I thought. I know the MGS staff must have put in many long hours to pull this off.  I was surprised by the Callaway showing. Not surprising that PV1 and PV1x are in the Excellent category. 

For my game I think most any ball from Excellent to Very Good will play without much difference day to day. Even a few Good ranked balls such as MG-C4, K-Sig play well I've found. Scored some of my best rounds ever with these Good balls. One point I'll make and have done so before is that; Tour Pros don't have some mysterious 6th sense that us lowly amateurs are missing. It's been written many times how Pros just know or can "feel" minuscule differences in a ball for example where people like us simply can't. Hog wash. The difference is they have an army of folks who micro manage ever detail of their game and equipment. Including making sure the balls they put in play are as close to perfect as humanly possible. The rest of us get the culls. LOL

I think there are many cases where an expert in some area can pick up on nuances that you or I would never recognize, whether it be some imperceivable sound to a musician or a few cotton balls of extra weight on Tiger's driver.

I don't think the army of people results in perfect equipment for the pros.  I think the ability of a pro to pick up on those tiny things requires an army to get it right.  Maybe not for every tour pro, but the elite ones, yes.  (Plus the equipment manufacturers better keep these guys happy or their tour staff will find a company that will.)  

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... That is the way I read your post. 👍  Others, or as I called them the conspiracy theorists, may wanna make much ado about nothing.  Bummer you can't get the Maxfli's in Canada. Canadian's certainly do love their golf! I played as a single most everyday here in Phoenix this winter and my guess is 60% of the people I have paired up with are from Canada. Played with a nice lady from Ontario today that played in college and she was a real treat to watch. 

I am actually baffled at the compliment to troll ratio in the comments of this report.  It has to be higher than any other Most Wanted test I have read in the last few years.  There are a lot of great questions, great answers, and most of the complaints (if you even call them that) are wishing another ball was tested.  

If the conspiracy theorists can't even find something to gripe about, the guys at HQ must have really knocked this one out of the park.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the results.  The shot area spread for driver and 7 iron for the high swing speed is beyond what I ever would have imagined.  I tried the epsom salt test for some balls this winter.  I would dunk one and mark the top with a marker and redo it several times.  Some of the Snell's weren't that repeatable which I took as a good sign.  Some Ram's (don't ask how those made it in this house) would pop that same dot up right to the top in a few seconds and repeat over and over.  These are the balls I can see soaring off to the next fairway.  I expected Tony's teaser about huge dispersion to all turn out to be some strange brands we never heard of.  Just about all the big guys have at least one ball with pretty bad dispersion.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

6 hours ago, wipierce said:

I supposed that makes sense. I didn't give it that much thought. My swing speed is around 108 mph so that is not to much of a concern for myself. However I'll remember this data the next time my two boys need balls.

Imo ss is only one piece of the compression puzzle. Strike location. Aoa, face and path also influence 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

14 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Matt, I don’t know if you saw my post on the MTB X, but in my review of it, I said I like the X off the tee and on the green, but prefer the black for everything in between. So I feel the same way as you, let’s combine them. I have been using the MTB X for the last few rounds just to give it a really good effort with it. I do like it. After this ball testing I will stick with the X, and then use the Black during the winter months as it is softer, but with the cold temps it will feel firmer. 

Thanks mate! I'm going to do the same sort of testing and see what happens but I'll wait until the 15th to order when they have the yellow back in stock.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Overall I really enjoyed reading the test and seeing the results.  Only thing I would have liked to see was an additional set of data for 95 MPH.  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

Here's the beauty of this test... There is no one winner. I think this is the first time MGS has given us test results and really challenged us to sift through everything and make our own determination. I've been racking my brain for three days now trying to find ways to label the best ball for me and frankly there's about 6 that would perform well for my game. What works for me doesn't work for you and Vice versa. That's the amazing thing about this comprehensive test. I'm playing golf today at lunch time and the whole time I'll be thinking if that double cross duck hook drive OB was my swing or the golf ball itself.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

15 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Matt, I don’t know if you saw my post on the MTB X, but in my review of it, I said I like the X off the tee and on the green, but prefer the black for everything in between. So I feel the same way as you, let’s combine them. I have been using the MTB X for the last few rounds just to give it a really good effort with it. I do like it. After this ball testing I will stick with the X, and then use the Black during the winter months as it is softer, but with the cold temps it will feel firmer. 

This is exactly why I chose the TP5x for my gamer this year.  Low spin off the driver, mid spinning of most of the irons and high spin off wedges and around the greens.  Would love to see the "black" longer off the tee, and spin a little more on full wedges and around the greens.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Hey @txgolfjunkie, thanks for keeping this thread going for all of us. Also, a happiest of birthdays.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Facebook Live at 1:00 PM Adam will be talking about the Ball Testing!! Be sure to tune in if you can!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

so, I tried a sleeve of Pro V1X yesterday. 

"I'm impressed!" a woman said as I left the pro shop counter. 

"at what?"  The salesman asked. 

"that he only needs one sleeve of balls"

... In front of 9th green, I fish out what appeared to be my ball from the pond, the last of the 3.  It wasn't. 

(the first of the 3 went into that very pond from the 2nd tee)  🤣

Conclusion:  they love to swim... straight to the bottom.  

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

... Lots of great info that really just backs up my non test findings. Thru trial and error TP5x is my ball and I like the new Maxfli Tour as a backup. The test just confirms my choice, which is nice to read. Also good to see the Cut balls revealed for what they are. Cheap balls that either have serious QC issues or severely cut (pun intended) with one wedge shot. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

MTB x for summer time, MTB black for winter is my plan for this season. 
If you can find them to purchase! I'm striking out on a lot of sites finding them. It's a good thought on them.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

5 minutes ago, wipierce said:

If you can find them to purchase! I'm striking out on a lot of sites finding them. It's a good thought on them.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

They are on backorder til the 15th

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Doing more reading, I'm a bit torn now. Since I'm a tweener in terms of swing speed, I'm now leaning towards giving the Pro V1X a serious go. Overall I think the MTB Black is a good ball and not a bad choice for my game, and the price is definitely right. But I want to play what performs best overall so I'm going to have to do some tee to green testing to figure out what works best for me.  

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Doing more reading, I'm a bit torn now. Since I'm a tweener in terms of swing speed, I'm now leaning towards giving the Pro V1X a serious go. Overall I think the MTB Black is a good ball and not a bad choice for my game, and the price is definitely right. But I want to play what performs best overall so I'm going to have to do some tee to green testing to figure out what works best for me.  

I’ve been playing the Pro V1X for a few years
Now. I think the sale is over, but every spring they do a buy 3 get 1 free dozen with free personalization. I find it to be a good deal, and I end up ordering every other year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

31 minutes ago, mr.hicksta said:

So as I was perusing the comments in the article I caught this from Tony...

Regarding quality and consistency, there’s plenty left to be learned and I have about 25 ideas for the next ball test, but in general – and taking cost entirely out of the conversation – I’d personally be more inclined to play Titleist or Bridgestone. No brand is spotless, and I think any honest ball guy would probably tell you that every now and again a bad ball sneaks past a QC check. That being said, there are realities that *could* impact the consistency of the ball.

Bridgestone and Titleist own their factories and make their own material (rubber).
Callaway has its own factory, but to the best of my knowledge does not make the material.
TaylorMade has a factory in the USA, but they use it only to put the cover on the balls.

Beyond that, most everything else is at least partially outsourced. Many of the smaller brands are a step further removed from the process in that they’ve played minimal to no role in the design but instead have purchased and branded a white label factory ball. That’s not to say performance can’t be exceptional and that consistency can’t be good. As I think I’ve said previously in this section, I personally wouldn’t play a ball from a brand for which nobody at the company owns a patent in the ball space.

Hard to argue with the logic here when you control the entire manufacturing process....but some of these golf balls can get very very expensive!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

1 hour ago, mr.hicksta said:

1x is a great ball. Compared to the v1 I noticed offline shots are slightly worse with 1x which is mostly from the spin differences between the two versions. I haven’t had a chan e to put either of the 2019 versions into play yet to see what’s changed

40 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

So as I was perusing the comments in the article I caught this from Tony...

Regarding quality and consistency, there’s plenty left to be learned and I have about 25 ideas for the next ball test, but in general – and taking cost entirely out of the conversation – I’d personally be more inclined to play Titleist or Bridgestone. No brand is spotless, and I think any honest ball guy would probably tell you that every now and again a bad ball sneaks past a QC check. That being said, there are realities that *could* impact the consistency of the ball.

Bridgestone and Titleist own their factories and make their own material (rubber).
Callaway has its own factory, but to the best of my knowledge does not make the material.
TaylorMade has a factory in the USA, but they use it only to put the cover on the balls.

Beyond that, most everything else is at least partially outsourced. Many of the smaller brands are a step further removed from the process in that they’ve played minimal to no role in the design but instead have purchased and branded a white label factory ball. That’s not to say performance can’t be exceptional and that consistency can’t be good. As I think I’ve said previously in this section, I personally wouldn’t play a ball from a brand for which nobody at the company owns a patent in the ball space.

Hard to argue with the logic here when you control the entire manufacturing process....but some of these golf balls can get very very expensive!

I guess someone should have asked Tony if this own your own factory includes Srixon since they are owned by a rubber company, but he would know better than all of us and would have put it there if they did.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)