TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

On 4/23/2019 at 10:42 AM, B.Boston said:

I can’t wait to see the results. I would be surprised if the Pro V line was far from the top based on what they’ve shown for QC processes (not that I’ve audited them) but I am curious to see who’s on top! I will certainly try that ball and others on the top.

The big shocker would be to see that exotic Rangé brand towards the top. emoji23.png

I just pray that the top performing balls also feel good to hit. Can you imagine if the results were that the old Pinnacle rocks were the best performing ball?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I had to do it...

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

OK, I had to do it...

Hahahaha excellent! Thanks I didn’t even think to look for the old video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

They are on backorder til the 15th

Well that certainly makes sense. I am typically not hyped by balls, but this data certainly has me wanting to get the Snell and give it a try.

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

1 hour ago, wipierce said:

Well that certainly makes sense. I am typically not hyped by balls, but this data certainly has me wanting to get the Snell and give it a try.

Yeah... I might have ordered the 5 dozen bargain pack after reading the test. You can blame me. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:29 PM, sgold7 said:

Hopefully a few people got thru this long-winded post and got something out of it.

@sgold7 thanks for the great post. That was a lot of work on your part and I'm glad you shared it.

Driver: :ping-small: G with Alta 55 stiff shaft, the 9° version but adjusted to 10° degrees

3 Wood: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

3 Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

Irons: :cobra-small: Fly-Z 4-9 with stock stiff steel shafts

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM5 46°, 50°, 54°, and 58° Dynamic Gold steel shafts

Putter: Testing :odyssey-small: EXO 7S 34" Standard Lie, Black Shaft, Odyssey SuperStroke Mid-Slim 2.0 grip

1 hour ago, JNY8188 said:

Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone asked why there seems to be as much difference as there is between the Z-Star (White) and Z-Star (Yellow)? Would love to hear some feedback. Thanks.

It either has to do with tolerances of the aerodynamics package on the ball, or possibly the yellow changes the aerodynamics of the ball a tiny bit. The launch conditions of the two balls are basically the same, and once it leaves the club face it's the aerodynamics that make a difference. The fact that the yellow is going higher, landing shorter, and has a larger land area leads me to believe that it's probably one or two balls on the yellow that are slightly out of spec.

Ping Traverse
King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60
TEE E8 4W, 7W
Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
TEE CB PROs 60*
Scotty Cameron Squareback

Just finished watching the stream. Was definitely well worth the hour and change to watch. 

Now time to dive into the data and see what's going in the bag for the season!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

6 hours ago, wipierce said:

If you can find them to purchase! I'm striking out on a lot of sites finding them. It's a good thought on them.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

Snell.com I have 2 dozen blacks, half dozen X’s and I can get more from one of the guys I golf with if I need he has 3 dozen X’s. 

I see they are on back order but I would go ahead and order some. 

Edited by Kor.A.Door

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Oncore elixir is a ball that seemed to do well in a lot of areas or at least be pretty decent, but not get mentioned too much. 

Big thanks and appreciation to MGS and crew who did this whole test. A ton of info and going to definitely help a lot of golfers.

Now to try and wait and see how many shops introduce ball fittings into their stores. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

The more I look at the numbers it seems like the ProV1x is what may be best for me. I mentioned in another thread I found one after being told I should never play a ball with an x on the end of it and it was the longest and straightest ball I hit that day.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

If you’re a 115 person, which ball are you choosing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

17 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Pro V1x. Very low dispersion, and solid iron/wedge numbers. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Sticking with my zstar xv 

Yellow or white? I guess there was a bit of a difference in the balls tested.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

So I gave up my Chrome soft for 2 rounds because it is short.

I've always felt it was short but not by much vs the Rx and the TP5x for my swing.

I used the Bx. It did add maybe 10yards off the tee but I felt like I lost so much greenside spin. I play on hard small greens. People always miss greens. Short game is king.

No wonder I like playing the Chrome Soft because of the wedge spin.

This chart will help me try to find something with spin but with better distance. In the meantime I won't be giving up the wedge spin of the Chromesoft for the extra distance of the Bx and TP5x.

I played today and felt the need to tweak my ranking weight system. I need more emphasis on the 7 iron and wedge performance more so that the driver performance. Don't get me wrong, I still need a consistently straight ball off the tee but I need consistency on carry, offline and spin on the irons and wedges... And a ball that can hold up in the wind. For that, I'm going to test the TP5 (current gamer is 2017/2018 TP5X but the 2019 version showed to be wild off the tee in the test), the Pro V1x, the Z Star and the Vice Pro Soft. The Z Star actually won out in my revamped rankings by a mere 0.53 points over the Pro V1x. I've never played a better wind ball that the previous TP5X but hopefully one of the four will bode well in the Texas gulf coast breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

1 hour ago, xxio said:

So I gave up my Chrome soft for 2 rounds because it is short. I've always felt it was short but not by much vs the Rx and the TP5x for my swing.

I used the Bx. It did add maybe 10yards off the tee but I felt like I lost so much greenside spin. I play on hard small greens. People always miss greens. Short game is king. No wonder I like playing the Chrome Soft because of the wedge spin.

This chart will help me try to find something with spin but with better distance. In the meantime I won't be giving up the wedge spin of the Chromesoft for the extra distance of the Bx and TP5x.

... Not sure if I am missing something but the TP5x spins less than the Chrome Soft off the driver but spins more than the CS with the wedge. Personally I find the TP5x spins more for pitches and chips than the CS, which is one of the reasons I didn't use it and gave away the rest of my dozen when I tried them out. RX was even worse for me. But the Bx is almost identical in numbers as the TP5x and out performs the CS. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

8 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

I guess someone should have asked Tony if this own your own factory includes Srixon since they are owned by a rubber company, but he would know better than all of us and would have put it there if they did.

I didn't know to what degree Titleist, Callaway, and Taylor Made owned/controlled manufacturing, but I agree. That's why I was guessing Srixon would be among the leaders in consistency too. 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... Not sure if I am missing something but the TP5x spins less than the Chrome Soft off the driver but spins more than the CS with the wedge. Personally I find the TP5x spins more for pitches and chips than the CS, which is one of the reasons I didn't use it and gave away the rest of my dozen when I tried them out. RX was even worse for me. But the Bx is almost identical in numbers as the TP5x and out performs the CS. 

My personal testing has shown the same thing. The '19 TP5x, even the previous generation, are great balls and I wouldn't change anything about them. They fit me very well for what I'm looking for in a ball. They go high without being spinny on irons, but still check up and often come to rest within a few feet of my pitchmark. Around the greens they're predictable, and they're firm without feeling like a rock.

11 hours ago, mr.hicksta said:

Doing more reading, I'm a bit torn now. Since I'm a tweener in terms of swing speed, I'm now leaning towards giving the Pro V1X a serious go. Overall I think the MTB Black is a good ball and not a bad choice for my game, and the price is definitely right. But I want to play what performs best overall so I'm going to have to do some tee to green testing to figure out what works best for me.  

I got some of last year's V1x if you wanna trade some of your MTB Blacks. I'm also a tweener swinging around 105 up to like 108 when I step on it. For me, the V1x is nice because it launched higher than my previous gamer, Tour B XS. The B XS was good but I didn't like how penetrating of a flight I got from it. The first round I put a V1x into play I noticed a much higher ball flight, which was what I wanted from my ball. I'd still be playing the V1x if I didn't find the '19 TP5x on sale in bulk, plus an additional 15% off eBay coupon, but I'm glad I #5witched. I'm finding the same launch but lower spin on irons and wedges, which lets me squeeze out a little more distance, and I don't have to worry about sucking balls off the green. The V1x definitely spins more for me when chipping as well, and in that regard is better for control, but as an overall fit I think the TP5x is better for me. I'm giving the MTB-X a shot as I mentioned in the "What have you bought lately" thread, and if I can get similar performance out of a ball that costs half, then it'll be my new gamer. They're within a degree of launch and 300 RPM difference in spin so I'm hopeful 🙂 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I play a lot of low checkers around the green and it's only the CS and the older 330X that gave me the results I wanted. 

In my 2nd home course where I have a harder time with the low checker for any ball the differences are so miniscule I use the Rx on that course.

Could be the type of grass and grain. My home greens are very grainy aside from being firm.

I just got 1 doz '19 TP5 (not x) to try.

6 hours ago, chisag said:

Just realized my TP5x experice is with the older model.

9 hours ago, PMookie said:

I'm going to play the Pro V1x, MTB-X and Tour B X and see what I prefer.  Played the Pro V1x earlier in the week, played the Tour B X last night.  The MTB-X is supposed to arrive today.  I can't tell them apart but I will keep comparing.  I assume that's common among average players with certain balls testing so close in the MGS report. 

I don't do a lot of "practicing" in the traditional sense of the word.  I prefer to play at least 9 holes on a daily basis.  Having played the Pro V1x and the Tour B X on the course this week, both "hopped and stopped" with wedges quite nicely and I could have placed a beach towel over the pitches around the green with each ball. 

I have a feeling this isn't going to be an easy decision.  But if I can't tell the difference between the MTB-X and the other two, I will save myself $20 a box.  We will see when they get here today.

Edit to add; with the modern ball, I believe it's time to replace the SeeMore Brass Blade.  That brassy "ting" is annoying!

I finally made a decision on my first premium ball and went with 5 dozen Vice Pro balls. I can’t wait to get out and see how they perform. They just seemed the most consistent for my swing speed and the price was right. I’m not consistent enough yet to worry about maximum carry, I need all the help with consistency I can get.

I'm going play 9 tonight and do some ball testing for myself. I'm going to compare the ProV1, ProV1X, Brigestone Tour BX, and both types of Callaway Chromesofts to first see if the Chromesofts are that much shorter, and then to see which of the other 3 balls performs the best for me off the driver, mid irons, and wedges. For reference, I swing my driver around 110 and just based on my short game practice with each ball I actually prefered the clicky feel of the Bridgestone balls off the wedges and putter. If it performs well off the longer clubs, it might be my new ball.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

6 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I didn't know to what degree Titleist, Callaway, and Taylor Made owned/controlled manufacturing, but I agree. That's why I was guessing Srixon would be among the leaders in consistency too. 

It was either in twitter or in the blog comments but tony replied to the question.Titleist owns everything. Callaway owns most of third abd taylormade only a portion. 

Titleist has a piece on their site about the number of people (something like 1100) that work in the ball and qc efforts. Somewhere around 90 different checks for the Prov1 and 120 for the 1x

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Based on the article comment replies by Tony and the live chat yesterday, Titleist and Srixon own and control the entire process.  Taylormade owns the cover application process but the core and materials are outsourced.  Callaway outsources most of the process and owns very little.

At least that's what I remember.  Please correct me if anything differs.