TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

2 hours ago, dupaloop3611 said:

damn so my Q star Tours are pretty crappy for $35 a dozen?

I tested these yesterday vs the Bridgestone B RX (first time playing either) and I was really impressed with how consistently straight the Q star tours performed. It wasn't perfect but good enough to beat the B RX which was consistently fading on drives and approaches.

Now I need to buy a Snell test pack and a sleeve of the B X and test those ( the B X and MTB Black came out on top for my rankings but I already had the Q star tour and B RX so those were first up). I like the AVX and have posted on it a few times but the crazy shots every once in a while that seemed to come out of nowhere were irritating and now I know why it was happening.

Driver: :ping-small: G with Alta 55 stiff shaft, the 9° version but adjusted to 10° degrees

3 Wood: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

3 Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

Irons: :cobra-small: Fly-Z 4-9 with stock stiff steel shafts

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM5 46°, 50°, 54°, and 58° Dynamic Gold steel shafts

Putter: Testing :odyssey-small: EXO 7S 34" Standard Lie, Black Shaft, Odyssey SuperStroke Mid-Slim 2.0 grip

3 hours ago, z1ggy16 said:

So based on this, is fitting from 150 and in really the best if you're a player shopping between 3 or 4 high performance urethane tour caliber balls?

I feel the same way about ball fitting. I went through a couple of ball fittings with Bridgestone back when they did that at courses all the time.  Their method was to fit you for the longest straightest ball on your driver. If they could keep you in the fairway closer to the hole, your scores would be better. It made sense to me.

I agree with you about the wedge numbers, there are very close. A couple stand out for being 1 standard deviation better , but effectively, they are all very close.

For me, the biggest thing is a ball that is "straight" off the tee, and has consistent carry with an iron.  

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

6 hours ago, Jlender21 said:

I have a 7 handicap, SS 104-107, I have been playing chrome softs, any see the extra yardage gain from the Bridgestone B X? I love the feel of the chrome soft, but I would love some extra yardage and the ball go straighter.... any info would be great thanks 

ProV1x, Bridgestone B X are probably the best bets if your just looking for some increased driver performance. They happen to be pretty good at everything else too. 

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

10 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

I feel the same way about ball fitting. I went through a couple of ball fittings with Bridgestone back when they did that at courses all the time.  Their method was to fit you for the longest straightest ball on your driver. If they could keep you in the fairway closer to the hole, your scores would be better. It made sense to me.

I agree with you about the wedge numbers, there are very close. A couple stand out for being 1 standard deviation better , but effectively, they are all very close.

For me, the biggest thing is a ball that is "straight" off the tee, and has consistent carry with an iron.  

Yeah to me, the driver data is by far the most interesting and relevant in this test (high swing speed) which sort of goes against the grain of most club fitting advice. I'm not saying short game stuff isn't critical, but seeing a robot hit shots with 35 different balls shows me other than the obvious difference in spin and launch, most balls will be accurate and predictable with pretty high confidence. They may not  be predictably accurate off your big stick though... and some by a decent amount. 

Assuming testers hit enough shots with each ball to get a good sample size, this is pretty unacceptable in my view. No crazy results off the wedges or irons really, few balls seemed to want to stray off line more than others with the 7i, but for my game there wasn't anything that would kill scores in the top 10 performers off those. 

I think what this data will (and should) do, is reopen some fitters/players eyes that ball fitting with driver is still important and perhaps even more critical to lowering scores than thought before. I think I'll use the rest of my used TP5x supply and then just man up and buy a few dozen ProV1X's and see if my scores for the rest of the year drop any. I do get lessons though and tend to play better as the year goes on so it's not really the best design of experiments... oh well. 

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

10 hours ago, txgolfjunkie said:

I see what you're saying. If you access the Google docs spreadsheet, hide the column with the ball names, update your golf ball characteristics based on the 0-4 level of importance (0 being the last important, 4 being the most), apply your club weighting importance between the driver, 7 iron, and wedge (must equal 100%), and then resort the total column. Unhide the column with the golf ball name to reveal which is the top pick.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

yep, that’s a good way to do it 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Just finished reading it. Although they didn't perform great on the test I would say for some golfers they will still be a go to ball. Looking at the ERC it would be ideal for my father-in-law. I think regardless of it's performance or lack there of it will still perform for many. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

25 minutes ago, poprocksncoke said:

Anyone see Callaways response yet?  https://callawaypresscenter.com/company-statement/

Funny that robots and computers are cool to build a driver face, but not for golf ball testing.

If you've been following the Flash testing thread, you know that I'm a huge fan of it so far. With that said, you can't pick and choose when you support tech/robots just to suit your agenda. Not a good look, broskis.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

54 minutes ago, poprocksncoke said:

Anyone see Callaways response yet?  https://callawaypresscenter.com/company-statement/

You know things are sketchy when their rebuttal is also a back handed advertisement/marketing ploy.

"...And like we always say, never simply take our word for it, or anyone’s word for how our golf balls perform. Go try them for yourself. And when you do, you too will see the truly unique and differentiated performance we believe is experienced by every golfer who plays them and why we have been the fastest growing major golf ball brand over the past four years."

Has Taylormade said much?? They didn't exactly show with shining stars. Not a bad overall look but they didn't blow away anybody. 

I'm curious as to why they think this test and in general, robot tests, are not valid? Every ball was tested under the same conditions, so...whether robots are "best" or not, doesn't really matter. 

Edited by z1ggy16

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

Typical Callaway 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, poprocksncoke said:

Ugh, I've never liked Callaway, and that didn't make it better. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Got 2 dozen Chrome Soft for Christmas then I read the test and watched the video.  We know from both that I bought into the hype about “feel” so into the shag bag they go. Went to the Bridgestone website and did the online test. The recommended ball? The e 12 Soft. 😖Bridgestone needs to catch up. Looks like I am going to be buying a couple of sleeves of Tour BX and Pro Vx and doing my own test. 

Once again my hat is off to MGS for this great test. I only wish I had the info before my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas!

... What did anyone expect from Callaway that is all in on soft golf balls? I see the soda industry is really trying to help the consumer putting LESS sugar in the drinks AND offering smaller portions of their drinks! Did anyone expect them to say that sugar and even worse, chemical additives in their drinks are poison and killing thousands of people every year? You would be infinitely better off drinking water? I have said before soft golf balls are shorter for me and don't spin around the green as much as I need but kept reading how magical soft golf balls are. Callaway staff plays balls different than what is available to consumers but I haven't heard that from Callaway. This is from MG Golf that sells over stock Callaway balls:

These brand new balls (NOT logo overruns or X-outs) are Callaway's "Tour Select" versions—very special balls provided only to Callway's PGA Tour pros (including the elite pros whose names you would immediately recognize) and receive a VIP level of QC. Being tweaked for pro players (and not intended for public sale), they have slight variations to the standard Chrome Soft sidestamp (like a "+" or "★" appended). They are of course USGA conforming.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

"...And like we always say, never simply take our word for it, or anyone’s word for how our golf balls perform. Go try them for yourself.

funny thing about this statement is that if you have been here for a while, you have seen this comment posted many, many, many times. Maybe not the exact words, but we are constantly sayin try several different balls and find one you like. 

Now that this is a statement from Callaway, everyone can’t believe the bold nature of them promoting their golf ball. How dare they 

They say go try it for yourself and make your own decision. We’ve been saying that for years about all golf equipment, from driver to putter to golf ball. I think maybe even tees as well. 

Many of us have said that we should use this data as a guide to help us lean toward some golf balls that fit into a profile of what you are looking for in a ball. Does that change because Callaway sent out a rebuttal of the testing. Their golf ball is still a very good ball, and may or may not suit your game. If it fits into your category of golf ball wouldn’t it be worth a try? 

To each their own I guess. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I don't think it tested well at 115 MPH but as speeds get slower the performance seems to get better.  

Top 5 or 6 in driver launch angle, spin and distance with driver at 115 mph. What’s not to like ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

Top 5 or 6 in driver launch angle, spin and distance with driver at 115 mph. What’s not to like ?

I think the article mentioned a wayward shot or two at the 115 swing speed and that dropped it to a lower ranking. But I’m certainly no expert on this subject. I’m mid 90s and played it a lot last year and think it is great. Probably the straightest ball off the tee I have ever played.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I bought (pre-test report) 4 dozen 5A Mint QStarTour from LGB for $9/dozen. I’ve been very pleased with the results. I’ll keep using them and if I find a stinker, I’ll just throw it out at that price.

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

5 hours ago, Pug said:

Got 2 dozen Chrome Soft for Christmas then I read the test and watched the video.  We know from both that I bought into the hype about “feel” so into the shag bag they go. Went to the Bridgestone website and did the online test. The recommended ball? The e 12 Soft. 😖Bridgestone needs to catch up. Looks like I am going to be buying a couple of sleeves of Tour BX and Pro Vx and doing my own test. 

Once again my hat is off to MGS for this great test. I only wish I had the info before my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas!

Would I buy Chrome Soft based on this testing? Nope, but that said, they aren't bad balls, I wouldn't scrap them. Depending on your swing speed you are talking 4-9 yards shorter on drives to the average ball in the test. After that they score well with the 7 iron results and the wedges, easily top half in both those tests. And depending on how you want to twist the data potentially better than ProV1 and TP5, so in the scoring areas they are great. 

I feel like Callaway should have jumped on that in their press release. I'll play Callaway PR for a moment:

The Callaway Chromesoft, more accurate than TP5 and ProV1 from 135 yards in. When scoring matters. 

*source MGS, largest independent golf equipment tester.

Instead they went sour grapes, shame. 

WITB:

3 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Would I buy Chrome Soft based on this testing? Nope, but that said, they aren't bad balls, I wouldn't scrap them. Depending on your swing speed you are talking 4-9 yards shorter on drives to the average ball in the test. After that they score well with the 7 iron results and the wedges, easily top half in both those tests. And depending on how you want to twist the data potentially better than ProV1 and TP5, so in the scoring areas they are great. 

I feel like Callaway should have jumped on that in their press release. I'll play Callaway PR for a moment:

The Callaway Chromesoft, more accurate than TP5 and ProV1 from 135 yards in. When scoring matters. 

*source MGS, largest independent golf equipment tester.

Instead they went sour grapes, shame. 

I’m not well versed in the subject and as a result not sure I buy into strokes gained stuff but everywhere I look it’s the distance aspect and proximity to the hole are pretty big topics of discussion. Overall imo 4-5 maybe 6 yards isn’t much but when getting into 7+ extra yards that’s close to one club closer to the green. Which means hitting an easier club into the green and more than likely improving proximity to the and having a better chance of one putting.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'm not sure why they would claim using a robot to test a golf ball is not an accurate assessment of the flight characteristics of a ball. I wonder what they use during their R&D. Maybe MGS didn't use the proper clubs mounted to the robot or something. The point is all the balls were tested using the same setup, so it may not be an absolute accurate representation of any one ball  but it would be an accurate comparison of all balls using the same setup...in my opinion....but then what the hell do I know.

Edited by WalterS

6 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Would I buy Chrome Soft based on this testing? Nope, but that said, they aren't bad balls... 

Also, I wouldn't stop buying them if they were the ball that i was just in love with. 

WITB:

Aaaannnnnd nowhere in there did the refute the results. Not once. No data from their “extensive tests” to prove otherwise. Classic. They got BUSTED!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

... Perhaps I missed this info. I tried reading the comments but still came up empty. How many shots with each ball were tested? Did they hit the Maxfli Tour X one time with the driver? 10 times? 20 times? 100 times? Same with 7 iron and wedge. How many times did MGS's robot hit each ball with each club. If the Tour X had a 657 shot area after 10 balls because 1 of them was more off line than others, that number may change with 20 balls and radically change with 100 balls. Of course it could be the same as 1 out of 10 balls produced off line results, but it would be very informative to know how many balls were hit. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

11 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Perhaps I missed this info. I tried reading the comments but still came up empty. How many shots with each ball were tested? Did they hit the Maxfli Tour X one time with the driver? 10 times? 20 times? 100 times? Same with 7 iron and wedge. How many times did MGS's robot hit each ball with each club. If the Tour X had a 657 shot area after 10 balls because 1 of them was more off line than others, that number may change with 20 balls and radically change with 100 balls. Of course it could be the same as 1 out of 10 balls produced off line results, but it would be very informative to know how many balls were hit. 

Take a look at the standard deviation chart.  That will show you how consistent each ball was

I think the "how many balls were hit per club per model" has been asked here and in the comments and I too haven't seen an answer and even listening to their YouTube chat afterwards didn't reveal the answer. Or I just missed it period too. 

Edited by WalterS