TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

4 hours ago, mr.hicksta said:

I put the 18' Pro V1x in play today and really enjoyed it. Previously, I had a mental block of sorts when I tried any of the Pro V1s, but after digging through the MGS Ball Test I decided to switch from the MTB Black and commit to them. Now I'm just trying to stock up on them, and I really feel like I've made the right choice in terms of overall performance! 

And on a separate note, all the chatter on Twitter is...interesting. Kind of odd how some seem to think the test was only directed at one company 🤨

I think I'm going to take a self imposed break from Twitter for a day or two. 

Maybe by then the Callaway evangelist will be back to taking about The Grandaddy 😎

But you are spot on, you would think from reading the same post 36 times from the same two or three people that it was a Callaway ball test, not 36 different balls. 

Also got to like how Titleist hasn't jumped on the results and bragging about it.   They have two great balls and know the performance speaks for itself and don't need a bunch of extreme "brand ambassadors" shouting it to anyone that listens. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I shared the article with a few people and 2 of them switched balls this weekend. They said they drove the ball better than they ever have. They didn't realize the soft balls were hurting their game as much as it was.

Its all about informing people to knowing the PROPER information.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

52 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Maybe by then the Callaway evangelist will be back to taking about The Grandaddy 😎

But you are spot on, you would think from reading the same post 36 times from the same two or three people that it was a Callaway ball test, not 36 different balls. 

Also got to like how Titleist hasn't jumped on the results and bragging about it.   They have two great balls and know the performance speaks for itself and don't need a bunch of extreme "brand ambassadors" shouting it to anyone that listens. 

This is true but... they (Titleist) do a fair bit of ball advertising during tournaments AND they also are on the "soft" bandwagon, as well. They have an entire commercial dedicated to it.

Edited by z1ggy16

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

9 minutes ago, z1ggy16 said:

This is true but... they (Titleist) do a fair bit of ball advertising during tournaments AND they also are on the "soft" bandwagon, as well. They have an entire commercial dedicated to it.

Can't wait to see the MGS Top Performer logo on those ad's 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Probably one of the most overlooked aspects of the golf ball or the company of ball is the quality. It was pointed out to me to look at the raw data at the bottom of the article and review the standard deviation. The higher the standard deviation, the wider the spread of data points, which equates to poor quality. Those with a standard deviation under 1.00 are excellent quality!

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I applaud your efforts!  Been following along on some of the conversations and just shaking my head; Twitter is a really funny place...people have all sorts of baseless opinions....

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

44 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

I shared the article with a few people and 2 of them switched balls this weekend. They said they drove the ball better than they ever have. They didn't realize the soft balls were hurting their game as much as it was.

Its all about informing people to knowing the PROPER information.

I was playing the Staff Duo Spin for the past few years.  Testing the Pro V1x, Tour B X and MTB-X the past week, I have come to the same conclusion.  I am driving it better than I certainly have in the past few years.

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

36 balls you say. I needed to go back to the report to confirm. From reading the interwebz I though it was Callaway and snell testing 😃

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

So, went to my local Dick's to try and snag one of the 6 ball packs of the new Z-Star... all sold out. Wonder if we have some readers in my neck of the woods.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

36 balls you say. I needed to go back to the report to confirm. From reading the interwebz I though it was Callaway and snell testing 😃

I was amused by the vast number of people who believe the test was a giant Snell endorsement ad meant to tear down Callaway. 

As I said earlier in the thread, if you benefit from unbiased testing, make a donation.  Madison Avenue may not approve of unbiased testing but avid golfers approve of and benefit from the work done by My Golf Spy.  It cuts through the marketing BS and gives us the unvarnished truth.  It's worth a few bucks for the data and MGS has more than earned it!

Just now, sixcat said:

I was amused by the vast number of people who believe the test was a giant Snell endorsement ad meant to tear down Callaway. 

As I said earlier in the thread, if you benefit from unbiased testing, make a donation.  Madison Avenue may not approve of unbiased testing but avid golfers approve of and benefit from the work done by My Golf Spy.  It cuts through the marketing BS and gives us the unvarnished truth.  It's worth a few bucks for the data and MGS has more than earned it!

Yeah it was kind funny reading thru twitter and I went over to wrx to see what they had to say. There’s always a good discussion there about any of the most wanted testing or other testing mgs puts out. Lots of guys switching balls there, done saying Callaway was outed abd in trouble...probably why they ended up releasing a statement since both twitter and wrx were saying similar things with a very small subset defending Callaway balls.

some good discussion there about the test and results as well as different takes on the snell balls.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Also, the company who should be the most upset in this whole thing is a company no one has heard a peep from, and that's Cut! Their balls basically got a tier to themselves to designate how bad they are, yet no one is saying anything. Maybe they're going back to the lab to try and figure it all out, which would be commendable.

It's like the first direct to consumer ball test MGS did, sure everyone remembers the ball that finished top in the Snell My Tour Ball, but do y'all remember who finished dead last? It's a company that now sits with Very Good Tour Level ball in the new test, Oncore. They figured it out and got better, hopefully that's what Cut is doing as well instead of complaining and crying fix like a certain brand.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yeah it was kind funny reading thru twitter and I went over to wrx to see what they had to say. There’s always a good discussion there about any of the most wanted testing or other testing mgs puts out. Lots of guys switching balls there, done saying Callaway was outed abd in trouble...probably why they ended up releasing a statement since both twitter and wrx were saying similar things with a very small subset defending Callaway balls.

some good discussion there about the test and results as well as different takes on the snell balls.

I have to admit, I have played the MTB-X since Thursday and am having a hard time finding any reason to not play it exclusively.  The only negative I can remotely come up with is, it's a little clicky with the putter but nothing I can't get around.  I tested a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 yesterday at my club and the clickiness was reduced substantially from my SeeMore Brass Blade.

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Gotta say though, the thread on WRX about this testing is filled with a lot of "haters" and "non believers" who it's apparent did not read the whole article, up to and including the comments. Now obviously with this being MGS forum there will be a lot more support but there is a ton of "I just don't believe it" going on over there. People saying how oh it's just robots, everybody hits differently, etc. While yes I agree with that... Just because somebody hits down or up vs the robot doesn't suddenly mean a ball acts/spins totally different. This was a RELATIVE comparison and it doesn't matter if the robot swung up, down, neutral.. left, right, diagonal or anywhere in between. I've stopped posting on WRX for the most part now and honestly I don't even go on there that much anymore. I've laid down well over 7,000 posts there over the last few years but I'm just kind of sick of the internet forums in general and that place is getting more and more toxic. Starting to catch up to Twitter and Facebook. There are a select few really great guys there but many handfuls more of ones who aren't.

I've always been a little critical on WRX with regards to how MGS does some of their testing when it comes to "most wanted" etc, but I think this is one of the tests they absolutely nailed. I still need to watch the 75minute podcast on youtube but I've read the article literally 15 times and all the comments at the bottom. I find that that MGS so far has addressed most of the legit questions pretty well and I'm struggling to find any major faults. I do find one thing sort of odd but I'm keeping that to myself.

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

2 minutes ago, z1ggy16 said:

Gotta say though, the thread on WRX about this testing is filled with a lot of "haters" and "non believers" who it's apparent did not read the whole article, up to and including the comments. Now obviously with this being MGS forum there will be a lot more support but there is a ton of "I just don't believe it" going on over there. People saying how oh it's just robots, everybody hits differently, etc. While yes I agree with that... Just because somebody hits down or up vs the robot doesn't suddenly mean a ball acts/spins totally different. This was a RELATIVE comparison and it doesn't matter if the robot swung up, down, neutral.. left, right, diagonal or anywhere in between. I've stopped posting on WRX for the most part now and honestly I don't even go on there that much anymore. I've laid down well over 7,000 posts there over the last few years but I'm just kind of sick of the internet forums in general and that place is getting more and more toxic. Starting to catch up to Twitter and Facebook. There are a select few really great guys there but many handfuls more of ones who aren't.

I've always been a little critical on WRX with regards to how MGS does some of their testing when it comes to "most wanted" etc, but I think this is one of the tests they absolutely nailed. I still need to watch the 75minute podcast on youtube but I've read the article literally 15 times and all the comments at the bottom. I find that that MGS so far has addressed most of the legit questions pretty well and I'm struggling to find any major faults. I do find one thing sort of odd but I'm keeping that to myself.

WRX is completely inundated with Trolls.  The MGS Ball Test thread on WRX is about equal thirds with valid posts, posts from obvious trolls and posts from people who have obviously not read the MGS report.  

My all time favorite comment on a message board was in the WRX MGS Ball Test thread.  Something to the effect of "How can I take this test seriously if it wasn't conducted in a dome under perfect conditions!"  

4 minutes ago, sixcat said:

WRX is completely inundated with Trolls.  The MGS Ball Test thread on WRX is about equal thirds with valid posts, posts from obvious trolls and posts from people who have obviously not read the MGS report.  

My all time favorite comment on a message board was in the WRX MGS Ball Test thread.  Something to the effect of "How can I take this test seriously if it wasn't conducted in a dome under perfect conditions!"  

Yeah one guy is going on and on about wind, but I believe the testers commented under the article that wind on that day(s) was minimal (2 mph or so) and any unexpected outcomes were re-tested to ensure nothing had gone wrong (wind gust, robot malfunction, and so on).

Again, I need to listen to the post article discussion on Youtube. Soon as I finish up a few things here at work, I'm going to listen. Maybe they addressed this specifically in greater detail, I don't know. However, even if MGS addressed the wind "issue" adequately, there's still 2/3 of people posting in that thread who won't agree or won't even hear the response. It's just a lot of misinformation and + handicaps saying they hit a few balls with X or Y ball the other day, and things were fine, so therefore the robot test is bunk.

I've started to limit my presence to that website to just the BST and the occasional club tech discussion. Any "real" info I need or want, I get out of the guys at TXG. I'll be very interested to see if they post a video about this. They tend to be pretty neutral and also just made a video giving Cut a pretty awesome review so they may not want to step on toes. Such a tough environment to be a small time business in the golf world these days...

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

1 minute ago, z1ggy16 said:

Yeah one guy is going on and on about wind, but I believe the testers commented under the article that wind on that day(s) was minimal (2 mph or so) and any unexpected outcomes were re-tested to ensure nothing had gone wrong (wind gust, robot malfunction, and so on).

Again, I need to listen to the post article discussion on Youtube. Soon as I finish up a few things here at work, I'm going to listen. Maybe they addressed this specifically in greater detail, I don't know. However, even if MGS addressed the wind "issue" adequately, there's still 2/3 of people posting in that thread who won't agree or won't even hear the response. It's just a lot of misinformation and + handicaps saying they hit a few balls with X or Y ball the other day, and things were fine, so therefore the robot test is bunk.

I've started to limit my presence to that website to just the BST and the occasional club tech discussion. Any "real" info I need or want, I get out of the guys at TXG. I'll be very interested to see if they post a video about this. They tend to be pretty neutral and also just made a video giving Cut a pretty awesome review so they may not want to step on toes. Such a tough environment to be a small time business in the golf world these days...

My presence on WRX is a fraction of what it used to be.  MGS is such  better environment.

The Youtube recap of the MGS testing was very informative.  They answer every logical question I have seen posted in the comments. 

There is plenty of content at WRX that I respect and I know there are lots of good people on their forums but the times that I’ve tried to post have led to some responses that were not helpful so I gave up.

Please throw down 7000 plus over here - we’re happy to have you. 99 percent of the folks here know how to disagree without being disagreeable.

@GolfSpyRob - Titleist doesn’t need to say much - it’s 70 percent plus your usage speaks for itself. At others of course they had to get into the “soft ball” market - it’s a category and they were loosing sales to it. Doesn’t mean they want to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Although I pay close attention to the Most Wanted and Forum Reviews...I've never just blindly bought anything that was recommended without trying it out first.   Yesterday I broke that string, after going over this test several times and really breaking it down the best I can.   I've been playing ChromeSoft the last couple years.....These numbers to me don't lie.....I just ordered a couple Dozen BStone Tour B X and B XS, and going to see which one I prefer.  Being a weekend golfer, I don't have tons of time to try out 6-7 different balls, and I'm probably not good enough to truly be able to tell which one is performing better, or if I'm just having a good day.   BX was in the excellent category and if you watched the recap, B XS was basically Excellent 1a.  

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

1 minute ago, revkev said:

@GolfSpyRob - Titleist doesn’t need to say much - it’s 70 percent plus your usage speaks for itself. At others of course they had to get into the “soft ball” market - it’s a category and they were loosing sales to it. Doesn’t mean they want to be there.

I was talking to our Titleist rep and the assistant at my home club last week.  The Titleist rep said they weren't thrilled having to dip into the "soft ball market" but the marketing campaign from other companies had taken such a toe-hold within the public conscience, they felt like they had to.  Titleist still believes the Pro V1 and Pro V1x are better for virtually every avid golfer than a low compression option. 

For validation, the Titleist rep played college golf for an ACC school and is a past champion of the North-South Amateur!

9 minutes ago, revkev said:

There is plenty of content at WRX that I respect and I know there are lots of good people on their forums but the times that I’ve tried to post have led to some responses that were not helpful so I gave up.

Please throw down 7000 plus over here - we’re happy to have you. 99 percent of the folks here know how to disagree without being disagreeable.

Agree. I've learned A LOT from being a member there about club building, made a few connections which really helped my game, and a host of other benefits. I just find myself getting into these random altercations lately with certain members there and I just find it's easier to not acknowledge or be a part of it, than to try and defend my position, even if I do it calmly and logically. I'll probably lurk around this website for a while, fairly new here still.

Anyway, pressing the play button on that post article podcast now..

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

51 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Also, the company who should be the most upset in this whole thing is a company no one has heard a peep from, and that's Cut! Their balls basically got a tier to themselves to designate how bad they are, yet no one is saying anything. Maybe they're going back to the lab to try and figure it all out, which would be commendable.

It's like the first direct to consumer ball test MGS did, sure everyone remembers the ball that finished top in the Snell My Tour Ball, but do y'all remember who finished dead last? It's a company that now sits with Very Good Tour Level ball in the new test, Oncore. They figured it out and got better, hopefully that's what Cut is doing as well instead of complaining and crying fix like a certain brand.

I think most companies use the data/info/responses and gauge their next step and don’t need to respond to positives or negatives from these types of tests, especially the negatives. Look at Srixon and some others who use the most wanted to promote their product.

callaway is marketing force and anything negative about their brand they address and if you notice they focus heavily on the GD hot list in their promotions but ignore things like the most wanted. Their focus is on building a brand following which is pretty much every company and the easiest way to do it is using the general golfing public that doesn’t read forums or blogs but gets their info from golf coverage and commercials.

cut is probably looking over the data and figuring out their course of a action.

47 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I have to admit, I have played the MTB-X since Thursday and am having a hard time finding any reason to not play it exclusively.  The only negative I can remotely come up with is, it's a little clicky with the putter but nothing I can't get around.  I tested a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 yesterday at my club and the clickiness was reduced substantially from my SeeMore Brass Blade.

From what I hear and read it’s a great ball and it performed well in some areas of the ball test. The wrx crew and twitter were a mixed bag from

the comments I saw on it but for the most part nobody knocked it.

44 minutes ago, z1ggy16 said:

There’s a group of haters there and other places towards mgs, mgs testing and such. They are going to find fault with anything. There’s also a group some in the haters group that think they are smarter than they are and their qualms about the testing were quickly shot down by others.  

Like with any subject, testing, data one needs to evaluate multiple sources and form an opinion

15 hours ago, kinkade said:

Anyone got any thoughts on the vice pro, the numbers look really good and from my amateurish reading it seems to be a consistent ball but it only rated good?

Anyone fill me in as to why?

From what I gathered MGS rated the Vice Pro as being only "Good" because of the inconsistencies in compression ratings from ball to ball. It's also possible they may have had a couple wild card balls that were low quality and flew considerably offline, but the dispersion data makes that seem unlikely. I could also see how the Vice Pro might be less durable than other balls, but not considerably so in my own experience. I just switched back to the Vice Pro after giving the Snell MTB-Black a go last season. Both are great balls, but there is a feel difference to me which is why I went back. It also didn't hurt that I got a great deal on 5 doz. for $25/ea + 1 free dozen last month on a special they were having.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, JonMUSC08 said:

Probably one of the most overlooked aspects of the golf ball or the company of ball is the quality. It was pointed out to me to look at the raw data at the bottom of the article and review the standard deviation. The higher the standard deviation, the wider the spread of data points, which equates to poor quality. Those with a standard deviation under 1.00 are excellent quality!

I would have liked to see a little more data on quality - actual compression numbers or a ratio of those within a certain range compared to those out of range. Possibly something similar on durability would have been nice as well. Regardless, I've always speculated that this was the major difference between Titliest, Bridgestone, and other manufacturers. When you control so much of your process and set high standards for yourself, you're going to create a good product. Honestly, I see much less of a problem with Titleist charging what they do for the ProV1 & ProV1x now that it's clear just how superior those balls are from a quality standpoint. When you take the steps necessary to ensure quality, you also incur additional costs and lower your profit margin.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

15 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I think most companies use the data/info/responses and gauge their next step and don’t need to respond to positives or negatives from these types of tests, especially the negatives. Look at Srixon and some others who use the most wanted to promote their product.

callaway is marketing force and anything negative about their brand they address and if you notice they focus heavily on the GD hot list in their promotions but ignore things like the most wanted. Their focus is on building a brand following which is pretty much every company and the easiest way to do it is using the general golfing public that doesn’t read forums or blogs but gets their info from golf coverage and commercials.

cut is probably looking over the data and figuring out their course of a action.

From what I hear and read it’s a great ball and it performed well in some areas of the ball test. The wrx crew and twitter were a mixed bag from

the comments I saw on it but for the most part nobody knocked it.

There’s a group of haters there and other places towards mgs, mgs testing and such. They are going to find fault with anything. There’s also a group some in the haters group that think they are smarter than they are and their qualms about the testing were quickly shot down by others.  

Like with any subject, testing, data one needs to evaluate multiple sources and form an opinion

I think if I have any questions about MGS tests, I'll come here, and probably only here. I have/did have a bunch of questions about the recent putter test, as I was pretty critical. However, I thought I presented some solid points and I was just looking for some rationale and answers as to why certain things were done. Could have been as simple as "not enough time/too expensive to try XYZ out" but instead I got met with personal attacks. Not only that but then a certain person from that same thread came into a totally unrelated thread I had made regarding Irons, and attacked me there personally for no reason.

And this is an adult male, presumably with a career, family, etc. Imagine if his coworkers or family knew how he acted anonymously online. Jeez.

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

13 hours ago, bellairemi said:

Mostly played ProV1x but also a few from Bridgestone and the TP5x.  Did not see any strange ball flights and today saw that they held their line in the wind better than the ProV1x.  Driver swingspeed is 100-102.

Good to hear they held the line better. Interesting to see you've played what you have, do you prefer the MTBX over the others. I've played the TP5/ProV's/ Srixon but not the MTBX. I was a little put off by some of the test results and not just the driver data. Just going by the data I'd pick the ProV1X or Srixon Zstar/XV -Tour BX. But does it really matter which of these top performers an amateur plays, I doubt it but who knows. I question some of the robot's numbers, not because I know any better, just because some of them don't make sense when looking at the trends.

Why wouldn’t you? We have been saying that in these forums for over 10 years. Now that a company says it, they are wrong. The only part of the study where the Chrome soft didn’t fare as well as others is driver distance. You have to try different balls to determine what works best for you. We’ve been saying that around here for a long time. This ball test can point you into a direction for a type of ball, but you still have to try them out. I don’t care what any marketing department says or doesn’t say in regards to this test, it will not sway me in determining my choice of golf ball. I am going to find the best one for me, based on my own metrics, and distance off the tee is not the top priority, otherwise I would use a rock flight. 

My point is the way they said it. They put out a release that obviously disagrees with the results. They certainly like that MGS loves their driver the most, no? Don’t come off like sour grapes and then say we have our own testing (which we won’t show you) and go buy some and you’ll see. I would either not release anything and let customers decide for themselves because they value feel or whatever. Or i provide my own research to combat the results or what backs their info.

WITB?

Mizuno JPX921F 4-PW, recoil 95 shafts

Callaway Epic SZ 9.5°, Hzrdus Smoke black 

Ping Glide 3.0 50,54,60 

PXG hybrid 0317 Gen 1, Tensi CK Blue

Cobra F9 14.5° 3 wood, Atmos Blue