TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

But it looks like a soccer ball. Surely the robot can process that?

Does the robot have a foot wedge?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Just now, Shankster said:

No but it swings exactly the same with one brand as it does the others... emoji848.png

Hmmmm likely story 🤨

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

22 minutes ago, Shankster said:

No but it swings exactly the same with one brand as it does the others... emoji848.png

But what club and shaft were used? Was the shaft tip stiff? What is pured? When was the last time it was calibrated? 😃

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 minutes ago, jlukes said:

True story: I was once blocked on Twitter by mygolfspy after "defending" callaway over the the 2014 most wanted driver results 

Don't worry, if I had Twitter I'd block you for your sane  and calm responses. Twitter is no place for that kind of collaboration. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

1 hour ago, mr.hicksta said:

@Kor.A.Door - I agree 100% that if someone is playing a ball that didn't perform well in the test, but they're comfortable with it, then they shouldn't switch it up just because of the MGS Ball Test. And I also agree that had any of the other major manufacturers been in Callaway's spot, they would've responded similarly. And to be honest, I'm guilty of not giving golf balls enough time before moving on, but no more! The Pro V1x are my ride or die from here on out!

Having more time to digest the results of the test and see some of the reactions around the interwebz, I have a greater appreciation for what MGS achieved here. MGS should be proud of the test as it covered a lot of ground, and despite some of the criticism, I haven't read a thing suggesting they're saying the test is the 'end all, be all' or anything of the sort. Ultimately, I think what the test represents is an EXCELLENT starting point for anyone looking for a reason to try a different ball. Is it an advertisement for Snell? Nope. Any company would've gotten an influx in traffic and possibly orders if they occupied the top spot. Alternatively, it's also not indictment on golf balls that didn't perform that well. I believe this because a lot of amateurs are going to play what they're comfortable with anyway especially if they believe a certain ball 'does everything they need it to'. 

I think the most important thing achieved by this test is it encourages you to take a deeper look when selecting a golf ball. Because as most of you know, we're blitzed by advertising suggesting something that may not be true (soft is FAST! 😜). For those of us who want to perform our best on the course, being able to dig a little deeper and perhaps try a ball you normally wouldn't can make a difference! 

I guess you liked the V1x on the maiden voyage?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

38 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I guess you liked the V1x on the maiden voyage?

For sure, it was a bright spot on the round. Held up very well, too! 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Has anyone had any durability issues with the Prov1X new model compared to the previous version? I have noticed more shaving than previously. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

6 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Has anyone had any durability issues with the Prov1X new model compared to the previous version? I have noticed more shaving than previously. 

Yeah a little. It's not a problem for me except on bunker shots, but I've noticed some shaving on greenside bunker shots. 

Edit: still totally playable though. 

Edited by GB13

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

3 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Yeah a little. It's not a problem for me except on bunker shots, but I've noticed some shaving on greenside bunker shots. 

Edit: still totally playable though. 

Yes still playable but a noticeable difference from previous versions. And yes they are still playable, I have only had one that I had to take out of play during round and it was from a fairway bunker. 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

25 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

hmmm, well that's not good, seems from the responses that it may be a problem. Most expensive ball and they scuffing problems.

7 minutes ago, WalterS said:

hmmm, well that's not good, seems from the responses that it may be a problem. Most expensive ball and they scuffing problems.

It is not a problem yet, as the balls are still playable. Just something I noticed in the 2 model years. 

8 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

From what I gathered MGS rated the Vice Pro as being only "Good" because of the inconsistencies in compression ratings from ball to ball. It's also possible they may have had a couple wild card balls that were low quality and flew considerably offline, but the dispersion data makes that seem unlikely. I could also see how the Vice Pro might be less durable than other balls, but not considerably so in my own experience. I just switched back to the Vice Pro after giving the Snell MTB-Black a go last season. Both are great balls, but there is a feel difference to me which is why I went back. It also didn't hurt that I got a great deal on 5 doz. for $25/ea + 1 free dozen last month on a special they were having.

Ive gone through the std devs and I really can't see anything bad, maybe it cuts up a bit more than the others as you mentioned

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

True story: I was once blocked on Twitter by mygolfspy after "defending" callaway over the the 2014 most wanted driver results 

That's hilarious.  Of course I know 2014 was on the heels of the OGD!  So one couldn't blame you for your enthusiasm.

Now you've come full circle.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I still haven’t decided what route to go: Pro V1X, or TOUR B X.... Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

TXG had some very kind words and respect for mygolfspy during their livestream tonight. 

They also said that the results prompted them to test the MTB X and Chrome soft head to the head and will be posting a video later this week. They alluded to the fact that their results might not have been in line with what MGS saw 

TXG had some very kind words and respect for mygolfspy during their livestream tonight. 
They also said that the results prompted them to test the MTB X and Chrome soft head to the head and will be posting a video later this week. They alluded to the fact that their results might not have been in line with what MGS saw 

With a robot?

My pro just handed me a sleeve of Z- Stars to try. Eye opening, easy firmer than the other top balls but just as much short game feel. I may have a new favorite after all. Gonna game it for my tourney this weekend.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

2 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

I'm looking forward to try those against my gamer the B XS.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

let me know because I have some BXs coming tomorrow.....never played either but I am interested in both

Golf is cool

So I went back and took a deep dive into some more of the data. Specifically looking at balls that I think could fit my game based solely on what the data shows. (With the exception of Titleist). I won’t ever buy those, so no point in checking that data. I was looking for distance from tee, irons, and wedge. Looking at standard deviations. For each. It looks like the MTBX, and either the Bridgestone BX or the B RX. I will try the Bridgestone balls, it has been a while since I put those into play, and they have changed slightly since the last time I used them. I will probably purchase just a sleeve of each of the yellow to test for myself. 

If anyone would like to test the MTB black (yellow) I’ve got about a 6 sleeves. I’d be happy to send a sleeve to anyone looking to try them. Saves y’all from having to wait, and also saves some dough. Let m know. 

Edited by Kor.A.Door

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

@Kor.A.Door, as you know, there is no "one ball fits all" out there, as each of us have differing swing characteristics.  Good luck in your own personal search for the best ball for you!  I've always like the Bridgestone ball, used to play it exclusively (several generations back played the Tour BS 300, then later the RXS version).  It fit my game fairly well, but my playing partner (A ProV1 fanboy) hated them.  Go figure.  I've also never been a big fan of ProV1 balls, but not for the normal reasoning of others -- in my case, I just hated hitting the same ball everyone else was playing.  LOL

How's life up in Winthrop country?  😉 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 minute ago, CarlH said:

@Kor.A.Door, as you know, there is no "one ball fits all" out there, as each of us have differing swing characteristics.  Good luck in your own personal search for the best ball for you!  I've always like the Bridgestone ball, used to play it exclusively (several generations back played the Tour BS 300, then later the RXS version).  It fit my game fairly well, but my playing partner (A ProV1 fanboy) hated them.  Go figure.  I've also never been a big fan of ProV1 balls, but not for the normal reasoning of others -- in my case, I just hated hitting the same ball everyone else was playing.  LOL

How's life up in Winthrop country?  😉 

I just don’t like Titleist in general. I really don’t like the cost with anything that says titleist. Plus, nothing from them has really ever fit my game. I know I’m not going to buy anything from them, so I don’t look. Anyway. I’ve played the old versions of the RX, and RXS. I have not tried the new versions. Who knows, the characteristics seem to look like they fit. So I’ll give em a try. 

It good up this way. Hot and humid the last couple weeks. the pollen was horrible, and lasted longer than usual, but it seems to have backed off in the last week or so. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

11 hours ago, WalterS said:

Good to hear they held the line better. Interesting to see you've played what you have, do you prefer the MTBX over the others. I've played the TP5/ProV's/ Srixon but not the MTBX. I was a little put off by some of the test results and not just the driver data. Just going by the data I'd pick the ProV1X or Srixon Zstar/XV -Tour BX. But does it really matter which of these top performers an amateur plays, I doubt it but who knows. I question some of the robot's numbers, not because I know any better, just because some of them don't make sense when looking at the trends.

I do prefer the MTB-X off the driver in particular and think it fits my short game better than the ProV1x.  I do like the feel and iron performance better with the Titleist but overall I would say they are pretty equal.  If performance is equal, then I am glad to save the $15 a dozen.