Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

8 minutes ago, WalterS said:

Interesting to say the least. Keep us updated on the ventures with the new MTBX and also on the Prov1X and Tour BX when you get around to playing them. Or did you say you played the other balls already, what's your take on them, do they match up to the test results?

Are you aware of the test data on the MTBX while you're playing the ball? Does any of it fit, of course maybe it's too early to judge it just yet. The extra length seems to be holding true at least.

Can't wait to hear what Dean Snell has to say, apparently(after talking with Snell) he's waiting for the real raw data from MGS so he can get an idea of what was happening to his balls.

I played the Pro V1x and Tour B X for a couple weeks as the MGS report was coming out.  They are comparable to the MTB-X but I will nitpick since you asked.  I have found the MTB-X to be a club longer with the driver but a yard or 2 shorter with irons.  The MTB-X is firmer with the firmness getting more pronounced the closer I get to the green (shorter the club).  It's nothing I would consider bad.  Just a more "full" feeling that I can't really explain but definitely more "clicky" with my SeeMore Brass Blade putter from 1999.

I can't distinguish between the three around the greens other than the firmness of the Snell somewhat stands out.  I could easily play any of the three and be very happy.  But given I can't distinguish between them, why pay $20 a box more?  That's where I'm leaning at the moment unless I get one of the outliers the MGS testing found.

46 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I played the Pro V1x and Tour B X for a couple weeks as the MGS report was coming out.  They are comparable to the MTB-X but I will nitpick since you asked.  I have found the MTB-X to be a club longer with the driver but a yard or 2 shorter with irons.  The MTB-X is firmer with the firmness getting more pronounced the closer I get to the green (shorter the club).  It's nothing I would consider bad.  Just a more "full" feeling that I can't really explain but definitely more "clicky" with my SeeMore Brass Blade putter from 1999.

I can't distinguish between the three around the greens other than the firmness of the Snell somewhat stands out.  I could easily play any of the three and be very happy.  But given I can't distinguish between them, why pay $20 a box more?  That's where I'm leaning at the moment unless I get one of the outliers the MGS testing found.

Thanks for the further explanation. You never mentioned testing either of the ZStar balls, is it you just don't like them from previous play. Apparently they have changed(improved) them in the past couple years.

On 5/8/2019 at 10:32 AM, WalterS said:

Okay, thanks for the explanation on the why of your comment. Were you testing the new 2019 Srixon balls, I heard they made them feel softer than last years, according to Srixon they also lowered the comp. for the XV from 105 to 102, the zstar remained at 90.

... I really do wish I had hit the 2019 XV as I have always loved Srixon Z Stars. Unfortunately I have 10 dozen balls in my basement (6 dozen TP5x, 2 original Kirkland 4 piece and Maxfli Tours) and doubt I will get thru half of them this season so the new XV is gonna have to wait til next season. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

8 minutes ago, WalterS said:

Thanks for the further explanation. You never mentioned testing either of the ZStar balls, is it you just don't like them from previous play. Apparently they have changed(improved) them in the past couple years.

Nothing nefarious.  My club doesn't sell Srixon balls so I didn't order any like I did the Snell balls.  

May be a bit lacking on my part but I will order balls to save $20 a dozen.  If I'm going to pay full price, I will support the shop at my club.

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... I really do wish I had hit the 2019 XV as I have always loved Srixon Z Stars. Unfortunately I have 10 dozen balls in my basement (6 dozen TP5x, 2 original Kirkland 4 piece and Maxfli Tours) and doubt I will get thru half of them this season so the new XV is gonna have to wait til next season. 

Yeah that's few balls to go through, ha-ha. Who knows maybe next years versions of the ZStars will be more improved(and less expensive even though they are already) and rate higher on the 2020 ball test results.

8 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Nothing nefarious.  My club doesn't sell Srixon balls so I didn't order any like I did the Snell balls.  

May be a bit lacking on my part but I will order balls to save $20 a dozen.  If I'm going to pay full price, I will support the shop at my club.

I hear ya, can't buy and test every ball. But I'd assume the ZStars aren't that much more money over the Snell(by the dz) in the USA. Up here(Canada) I can buy a dz ZStars cheaper(reg price) than I can buy a dz(or 2) MTBX online(and I told Snell that but they didn't comment on that). To get a break I'd need to buy 3 dz Snell. It would be nice if you could buy a sleeve of MTBX to try out first before I buy 3dz.. Not to mention your guys can buy 3dz ZStars and get 1 dz free, not up here, why who knows. Or was it buy2 get 1 free?

Edited by WalterS

4 minutes ago, WalterS said:

I hear ya, can't buy and test every ball. But I'd assume the ZStars aren't that much more money over the Snell(by the dz) in the USA. Up here(Canada) I can buy a dz ZStars cheaper(reg price) than I can buy a dz(or 2) MTBX online(and I told Snell that but they didn't comment on that). To get a break I'd need to buy 3 dz Snell. It would be nice if you could buy a sleeve of MTBX to try out first before I buy 3dz.. Not to mention your guys can buy 3dz ZStars and get 1 dz free, not up here, why who knows. Or was it buy2 get 1 free?

Srixon balls are $40 a dozen almost everywhere in the US.  Again, it may be shortsighted on my part but I buy virtually everything golf related through the shop at my club.  I haven't stepped foot inside a Dick's, Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore in a very long time. So, I don't know about a "buy 3 get 1 free" deal from Srixon.  Titleist does that every spring because my club participates. 

Ordering the MTB-X's in bulk (5 dozen) the per-unit price comes down to $28 per dozen.  If I don't see anything in terms of wild ball flights or irregularities, I will most likely order 5 dozen at that price.

1 minute ago, sixcat said:

Srixon balls are $40 a dozen almost everywhere in the US.  Again, it may be shortsighted on my part but I buy virtually everything golf related through the shop at my club.  I haven't stepped foot inside a Dick's, Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore in a very long time. So, I don't know about a "buy 3 get 1 free" deal from Srixon.  Titleist does that every spring because my club participates. 

Ordering the MTB-X's in bulk (5 dozen) the per-unit price comes down to $28 per dozen.  If I don't see anything in terms of wild ball flights or irregularities, I will most likely order 5 dozen at that price.

That's great that you support your club, providing they're not adding a huge mark-up on their balls. All clubs up here add a huge mark-up on balls.

Good to hear that you don't see any irregularities on the MTBX. 

I have a question on the ZStar data, MGS rated it excellent, but how is that possible with it having the "worst 7i" (for all speeds) offline data of any ball, yet the ZStar XV only a has wayward fast driver offline data and it got rated VG?

2 hours ago, z1ggy16 said:

I'm interested in what he says. I doubt he'd reveal it but I wonder how they do QC. Do they inspect each ball and reference a certain set of specs and pass/fail every single one, or might they inspect by "lot" sampling. That is, they produce say 10,000 balls in a "lot" (batch) and randomly select X% (say 2% for example) and check each one. If all of them pass with respect to some sort of reference ball or set of specs, ALL 10,000 in that lot pass.

Depending on their manufacturing scales, I'd assume the latter is done to save on time/cost. However, that could potentially lead to somebody like MGS getting a entire box of duds that purely by chance, had an extremely high rate of non-conformance present that we aren't seeing so far from our users here.

I would say for QC they would have a PPM measurement. That percentage would change based on how tight of QC you want. Tighter QC tolerances, the more the cost. Titleist PPM might be 2000, but Vice PPM might be 10000. Both percentage per million aren’t bad, but with one mfg you get one ball out of 500 that are bad, and the other you 1 ball out 100 that is bad. In either case, to get an entire box of balls that were duds, would be next to impossible. Unless of course they sent them that way on purpose.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

If you haven’t used TXJolfjunkies spreadsheet to play with the numbers, I would encourage you to do so, now that I understand that the ball choice is the lowest total number, it really has changed my mind on some things. He has it so you can weight the different clubs, you can also make adjustments to what you want the ball to do for each club, whether it’s distance, spin, deviation. He has all of it in there. I have input my numbers that I want several times, and have tweaked them a few times as I change my mind for certain parts of the game, and it has recommended a ball that I normally wouldn’t try. I don’t like paying the high price for them, but Father’s Day, birthday and Christmas May take care of that cost, and I can get them in yellow. Which I prefer, I will give them a shot, if it helps improve my scoring, it may be worth the few extra dollars. 

43 minutes ago, sixcat said:

How's durability been? I tend to not lose balls but with the MGS guys saying even minor cuts and whatnot can affect performance, I'll probably start using 2 or even 3 balls per round before they end up in the shag bag (which is already now about 40 balls deep). Anything more than 2 balls or so being used per round and that starts getting a little cost prohibitive for me to start gaming ProV1x at $48 a box. The low price of the Snell is very appealing if thee things aren't wildly flying offline like testing was showing.

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

3 minutes ago, z1ggy16 said:

How's durability been? I tend to not lose balls but with the MGS guys saying even minor cuts and whatnot can affect performance, I'll probably start using 2 or even 3 balls per round before they end up in the shag bag (which is already now about 40 balls deep). Anything more than 2 balls or so being used per round and that starts getting a little cost prohibitive for me to start gaming ProV1x at $48 a box. The low price of the Snell is very appealing if thee things aren't wildly flying offline like testing was showing.

I’ve been playing the MTBX and have not had ball flying off line on a good strike. My miss right now is left, if I miss left it is usually a bad swing, so I find myself in the same places that I would find myself using any other ball. I would not worry too much about the wildly flying offline issue. 

1 hour ago, WalterS said:

That's great that you support your club, providing they're not adding a huge mark-up on their balls. All clubs up here add a huge mark-up on balls.

Good to hear that you don't see any irregularities on the MTBX. 

The pricing of equipment, including balls, is set by the manufacturer.  Otherwise, shops wouldn't be allowed to consider themselves "authorized Titleist dealers."  My club sells Titleist, Taylormade, Bridgestone and Callaway golf balls at MSRP and not a penny more. 

Most golf clubs are sold slightly below what the big-box retailers sell them.  For example, I'm currently eyeing a Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 for $379.99.  It's $399.99 everywhere.  My latest iron purchase was about $150 below anything I could find online.  My daughter's Callaway XJ's were $25 lower than anything found online.  I assume that's something of a reward for small club owned shops who sometimes struggle to keep pace with big box retailers.  

Clothing is also significantly cheaper.  Foot Joy and Under Armour polo's are $39.99.  I have an Under Armour fleece quarter-zip that I paid $50 for with the club logo on the left sleeve and right breast and UA logo on the right sleeve and left breast.  

As for the MTB-X irregularities, I have only put 3 balls into play since last Thursday.  I don't lose many balls and they are holding up quite well.  

23 minutes ago, z1ggy16 said:

I have played 3 balls since last Thursday.  I play almost everyday with yesterday being the only day I haven't played in that time.  I lost one in some "ground under repair" where we have some flooding issues.  I had used it for 20 holes and it was still in great shape.  The other two are also in great shape.  I scuffed one with a nicely clipped bunker shot on #3.  It came out kind-of low, skidded once and stopped dead.  The scuff isn't anything I would be concerned about but I took it out of play anyway.  To be honest, I'm not sure why I did.  I don't even keep score these days.

That brings up another point about the distance I'm seeing with the MTB-X.  The area where I live experienced record shattering rainfall from February 2018 through March 2019.  The whole area has severe flood damage, including parts of the course.  It's wet.....very wet!  So there is no roll-out to speak of.  In most cases, I find the ball either a few inches behind or ahead of it's pitch mark in the fairways.  It's a Gene Hamm design so virtually every green is elevated.  As a result, the staff has been able to keep the greens nice and firm.  But the fairways are squishy and very soft.

As I type this realizing how many holes I get wit ha single ball, paying $48 a dozen for Pro V1's isn't really that big a deal!

5 hours ago, sixcat said:

I'm having a very similar experience.  I have been a member at my club for 12 years.  Since getting the MTB-X, I have been hitting clubs into greens that I would never have imagined.  I had a pitching wedge into #2 on Monday.  I've never hit a 9-iron into that green before much less a wedge. It's 430 yards!  Also had a similar experience on numbers 5, 6, 13, 14 and 16 having approach shots with clubs I'm certain I have never hit into those greens before.

I also love this ball around the greens!

I have not seen a distance increase with my irons though - the MTB-X are probably 1-2 yards shorter than the ProV1x.  Has that been your experience as well?

Edited by bellairemi

6 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I have played 3 balls since last Thursday.  I play almost everyday with yesterday being the only day I haven't played in that time.  I lost one in some "ground under repair" where we have some flooding issues.  I had used it for 20 holes and it was still in great shape.  The other two, are also in great shape.  I scuffed one with a nicely clipped bunker shot on #3.  It came out kind-of low, skidded once and stopped dead.  The scuff isn't anything I would be concerned about but I took it out of play anyway.  To be honest, I'm not sure why I did.  I don't even keep score these days.

That brings up another point about the distance I'm seeing with the MTB-X.  The area where I live experienced record shattering rainfall from February 2018 through March 2019.  The whole area has severe flood damage, including parts of the course.  It's wet.....very wet!  So there is no roll-out to speak of.  In most cases, I find the ball either a few inches behind or ahead of it's pitch mark in the fairways.  It's a Gene Hamm design so virtually every green is elevated.  As a result, the staff has been able to keep the greens nice and firm.  But the fairways are squishy and very soft.

As I type this realizing how many holes I get wit ha single ball, paying $48 a dozen for Pro V1's isn't really that big a deal!

Yeah $48 a dozen isn't bad IF the ball can last 20 holes. I never now how long mine last because I just play a ball until it's lost or the cover is so beat up looking it's embarassing to see somebody let you tee that up... 😧

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

1 minute ago, bellairemi said:

I have not seen a distance increase with my irons though - the MTB-X are probably 1-2 yards shorter than the ProV1x.  Has that been your experience as well.

It has and I stated that in another post.  It isn't a big difference, just enough to tell the MTB-X is just a touch shorter.

38 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I have played 3 balls since last Thursday.  I play almost everyday with yesterday being the only day I haven't played in that time.  I lost one in some "ground under repair" where we have some flooding issues.  I had used it for 20 holes and it was still in great shape.  The other two are also in great shape.  I scuffed one with a nicely clipped bunker shot on #3.  It came out kind-of low, skidded once and stopped dead.  The scuff isn't anything I would be concerned about but I took it out of play anyway.  To be honest, I'm not sure why I did.  I don't even keep score these days.

Sounds like most are more or less happy with the MTBX. Like you say if you never lose a ball maybe you should play the ProV1x, although I've read comments before about them getting scuffed very easily. How much is a dz MTBX in the USA.

To me distance is great but not at the expense of dispersion(offline data/shot area), fairways not so much, shots into the green very much so. To that end I think the ZStar XV is one of the better ones. They sure have a lot of tour players around the globe playing both the ZStar and the ZStar XV.

7 minutes ago, WalterS said:

Sounds like most are more or less happy with the MTBX. Like you say if you never lose a ball maybe you should play the ProV1x, although I've read comments before about them getting scuffed very easily. How much is a dz MTBX in the USA.

To me distance is great but not at the expense of dispersion(offline data/shot area), fairways not so much, shots into the green very much so. To that end I think the ZStar XV is one of the better ones. They sure have a lot of tour players around the globe playing both the ZStar and the ZStar XV.

I agree completely, the distance gain is great but not at the expense of accuracy.  But I haven't experienced anything resembling inaccuracy so far.

MTB-X is $32.99 for a single dozen but the price drops if you buy in bulk up to 5 dozen.  Five dozen are $27.99 per.

44 minutes ago, WalterS said:

Hard to have those shots into the green when the tee shot goes wayward. The Z Star was a little offline but it had one of the smallest shot areas and offline standard deviations off the driver and 7 iron...meaning it's consistent. The XV on the other hand... was not nearly as consistent, especially off the driver and that's what leads you back to my first sentence...

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

35 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I agree completely, the distance gain is great but not at the expense of accuracy.  But I haven't experienced anything resembling inaccuracy so far.

MTB-X is $32.99 for a single dozen but the price drops if you buy in bulk up to 5 dozen.  Five dozen are $27.99 per.

Yeah you can't beat that price.

I suppose one way to tell the performance quality of a ball is to see how many Pro Tour players around the globe are playing it. Of course with the exception of Callaway who lies about the tour players playing the same balls as we can buy. Obviously Titleist is #1, but from what I've read and from my own experience the ProV1/x scuff up easily, who's #2-not Callaway, Srixon has a lot Pro Tour players around the globe playing both the Zstar and the zstar XV, Bridgestone only has a handful of players that's it, TM from what I see is only a handful or two, of course a lot of them are in the top 10 ranking for the PGA. Did I forget anyone worth mentioning?  

7 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

Hard to have those shots into the green when the tee shot goes wayward. The Z Star was a little offline but it had one of the smallest shot areas and offline standard deviations off the driver and 7 iron...meaning it's consistent. The XV on the other hand... was not nearly as consistent, especially off the driver and that's what leads you back to my first sentence...

Yes the Z Star 7i does show it's very consistent, just offline. And true about the Z StarXV, but it doesn't seem to add up when you look at all 3 speeds, fast is -12.5, mid is -5.2 and slow is +2.

2 hours ago, WalterS said:

Yeah you can't beat that price.

I suppose one way to tell the performance quality of a ball is to see how many Pro Tour players around the globe are playing it. Of course with the exception of Callaway who lies about the tour players playing the same balls as we can buy. Obviously Titleist is #1, but from what I've read and from my own experience the ProV1/x scuff up easily, who's #2-not Callaway, Srixon has a lot Pro Tour players around the globe playing both the Zstar and the zstar XV, Bridgestone only has a handful of players that's it, TM from what I see is only a handful or two, of course a lot of them are in the top 10 ranking for the PGA. Did I forget anyone worth mentioning?  

Everyone under contract to Tm for full bag plays the TP5/x, until Rickie’s current contract they didn’t offer any ball contracts to players do their pool is going to be small. 

I don’t know about Srixon and what they have on conforming list but most of the ball companies have balls that are not at retail for their tour players and in some cases players use an older version of a ball. Stacy Lewis played the 2009 prov until about 4 years ago when titleist told her they weren’t going to produce it anymore. She then switched to Bridgestone 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I’m still torn on just playing the 4 dozen TP5X I have, or sell them on eBay and buy Pro V1X, or something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

45 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Everyone under contract to Tm for full bag plays the TP5/x, until Rickie’s current contract they didn’t offer any ball contracts to players do their pool is going to be small. 

I don’t know about Srixon and what they have on conforming list but most of the ball companies have balls that are not at retail for their tour players and in some cases players use an older version of a ball. Stacy Lewis played the 2009 prov until about 4 years ago when titleist told her they weren’t going to produce it anymore. She then switched to Bridgestone 

interesting.

I am currently playing the TP5X. When I lose them all I will probably go back the the ProV1X. The TP5X is a perfectly fine ball. I have just played with the Pro V for so long that I know what expect from it from tee to green. If I stay/ed with the TM ball, I'm sure I would get to that same point,  but I'm just comfortable with the Pro V.

9 hours ago, sixcat said:

Truly just an FYI.  If you can search for a Srixon ball fitting in your area --by searching on the Srixon site--they usually sell all balls at 50% off at those events.  So s dozen Z Stars are $20 and Qstars $10.  

Our course hosts two or three of them a year. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:22 PM, Popeye64 said:

The only club I seem to struggle with in true distance these days is the driver. I just cant get to a par 5 in 2 anymore and though it's not really putting stress on my game,, like everyone I'm still trying to score as well as I can.
I dont hit a towering drive, more of a screaming lower line drive that if its spinning too much has no roll out and even worse when it s wet goes no where. Playing with two other very low HP players last week on every hole I was a good 20 + yards behind them and the difference in club head speed is not that great that would cause that much of a distance gap by any means.
The Tour B X was spinning at 2129 and the XS was at 2367 or a 239 rpm difference. The X was also 5 yards further on average. It may seem like a trivial amount but if the Tour B X plays for me like the XS does for every other part of my game why wouldnt I want a few more yards in the one part of my game that is challenged right now.
Yes I know it's more driver technique than anything but it's what I have in the arsenal for now.
I need to get into a club fitting shop and find a lower spinning driver combo soon so it might be a moot point. The Tour B XS checks off every box for me other than the long ball.

I get home in another week so I could send you a few XS if you want to try them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have the BXS..just picked up a dozen. Its a very soft feeling ball to me...maybe too much.....a few driver shots I hit ballooned just a bit so id really like to see if the BX works better for me or the new TP5......im not sure I love the larger dimples either but on iron shots it flew great. Not disappointed, but I would like to try the BX at some point

Golf is cool

Enjoyed a day of crisp ball-striking yesterday afternoon.  Too bad it was cut short by a passing thunderstorm.  Still loving the MTB-X and seeing absolutely no evidence of irregularities.  I think the distance of the ball has been well established.  I am equally as impressed with the green-side spin and control as well as the bite the ball gets on full shots into the green from inside 150 yards.  

That "full" feeling I keep mentioning is something I am continuing to really like a lot.  To borrow a phrase from the immortal Roy McAvoy, "A tuning fork goes off in your heart, your balls....such a pure feeling is the well-struck golf shot!"