Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

17 hours ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

So does anyone know of a place online that sells 3 ball sleeves?  I can't find any and I would love to try out the different tour balls, but I hate the thought of spending $40+ per dozen just to "try it out".

Golf Galaxy and my local golf store sells 3 ball packs and will even break a dozen if that is all you want to buy.   They even have 3 packs by the register.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 hours ago, sixcat said:

Very interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I’m still struggling to understand what MGS was after by showing this... I’ve long assumed that Vice probably purchased a white label ball and marked it as their own (though their comments on Insta show they are committed to convincing everyone that they actually design their golf balls). Anyway, as long as they perform well (and all of the testing MGS has done says they do) then what’s the problem? As far as I’m aware neither Monsta nor Rife are still making golf balls. Regardless, it’s interesting to see how this has been done in the golf industry.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

6 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I’m still struggling to understand what MGS was after by showing this... I’ve long assumed that Vice probably purchased a white label ball and marked it as their own (though their comments on Insta show they are committed to convincing everyone that they actually design their golf balls). Anyway, as long as they perform well (and all of the testing MGS has done says they do) then what’s the problem? As far as I’m aware neither Monsta nor Rife are still making golf balls. Regardless, it’s interesting to see how this has been done in the golf industry.

The insinuation is Vice is hardly the only company faking their golf ball design while white labeling the exact same ball.  It stands to reason that if Costco can purchase the same balls from a nondescript manufacturer and sell them for $12 a dozen, why pay Vice $24?   

Watch this video from the 2:00 mark for about 45 seconds.

Very interested in the results of this new 'Find It, Cut It' campaign.

There has been a bit of a surge in new golf balls over the past few years (Volvik, Snell, Vice, kirkland, etc) so it will be interesting to see who develops their own ball or who contracts their work out to facilities.

But for the consumer this will be great! I have no problem if they find out that Nitro is the same ball as a ProV1x. Guess I'll save like $40! (probably a long shot on that one)  

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

The insinuation is Vice is hardly the only company faking their golf ball design while white labeling the exact same ball.  It stands to reason that if Costco can purchase the same balls from a nondescript manufacturer and sell them for $12 a dozen, why pay Vice $24?   

Watch this video from the 2:00 mark for about 45 seconds.

Good point. I was able to find the Rife E-Motion ball on RockBottomGolf for $10, but Monsta is no more as far as I can tell. A quick Google search for Monsta Golf did turn up a Golf Digest article covering the lawsuit Acushnet filed against several companies for this golf ball. I’d be curious to see which of them are still going and what price they offer the ball for.

15 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Good point. I was able to find the Rife E-Motion ball on RockBottomGolf for $10, but Monsta is no more as far as I can tell. A quick Google search for Monsta Golf did turn up a Golf Digest article covering the lawsuit Acushnet filed against several companies for this golf ball. I’d be curious to see which of them are still going and what price they offer the ball for.

I have long suspected the old Hogan Apex ball is the exact same as the MG ball.  I could be wrong but I don't believe I am.  I have also wondered if some of these balls that have come out in recent years are the old Strata design rebranded.  It would be very simple for some random factory in China to continue to produce the ball even though Strata no longer exists in the form it did when rubber core, multilayer balls first came out.  

I feel like people forget, Strata was the first ball with this type of construction to hit the market. 

... If a company lies about their involvement in golf ball research, development and design ... what else are they misleading us about? Of paramount importance for me,  they have zero input over quality control as they are just ordering balls from a catalog and they get what they get. I want to play a golf ball that goes thru QC and also want to reward companies that actually put in the work, which is always more expensive. If I am buying DTC, I will gladly pay Snell more than Vice or Cut because Dean Snell has put in the work to make sure his ball is the best ball he can make in both performance and quality. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

17 minutes ago, chisag said:

... If a company lies about their involvement in golf ball research, development and design ... what else are they misleading us about? Of paramount importance for me,  they have zero input over quality control as they are just ordering balls from a catalog and they get what they get. I want to play a golf ball that goes thru QC and also want to reward companies that actually put in the work, which is always more expensive. If I am buying DTC, I will gladly pay Snell more than Vice or Cut because Dean Snell has put in the work to make sure his ball is the best ball he can make in both performance and quality. 

I'm looking forward to the #FindItCutIt campaign Tony is kicking off for the sole purpose of seeing how Snell QC stacks up.  I have never considered any of the other DTC balls as real contenders to go into my bag.  

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

I'm looking forward to the #FindItCutIt campaign Tony is kicking off for the sole purpose of seeing how Snell QC stacks up.  I have never considered any of the other DTC balls as real contenders to go into my bag.  

... I hate trashing anyone unless it is absolutely deserved but those Cut Blues I received were without a doubt the worst balls I have ever seen. I posted pictures of how poor the QC was and even the ones that looked good to the naked eye were shaved and cut by my very first wedge shot and unplayable. I like tying new products for reference sake as well as simple curiosity but those Cut balls cured me of any curiosity when it comes to DTC brands. 

7 hours ago, chisag said:

I absolutely agree the Snell ball is top notch in terms of quality. The only reason I play VicePro is because I prefer the feel and the quality is “good enough”. I need to give Bridgestone a real try sometime. The only balls of theirs I’ve ever played consistently was the e5 several years ago.

So traditionally I've always played softer balls. Duo, SoftFli, Gamer Soft, etc. I'm a slower swinger and I always felt they would give me better overall performance. The MGS ball test really made me think about what I was buying & playing, and if it made sense to stick with soft. A few years back I played with someone that handed me a few ProV1's and I didn't hit them well (in hindsight I wasn't hitting *anything* well that day) and he told me that I wasn't compressing the ball enough and it wasn't for me. Given his abilities and how long he's been playing, I took him at his word.

Today I found a very good condition ProV1x out on the course, and after losing a few balls to the trees I grabbed it and said "why not?" I proceeded to hit some of my best drives and shots of the day before finally losing the ball in the sun on the last hole of the round. 

Yeah I'm totally rethinking everything now. I'm going to grab some sleeves of B330RX's that I buried in my closet and try them out on my next round. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

It may just be the ball. I have came to the realization that playing the proper ball really does do wonders for your golf game. Initially, I  would play really any decent high end ball and it would always perform okay. However, after just recently cracking open a pack of brand new prov1x I have noticed a dramatic difference in my game. The idea of a soft ball does not seem beneficial to me as my driver swing speed can reach about 123 mph and i noticed the spinning when hitting my shots and the ball would tend to curve in whatever direction is deemed necessary. After switching to a higher compression ball, I have noticed my ball fly's much much straighter with all of my shots resulting in my lowest rounds of the year. I guess way I am saying is, find your ball and stick to it because understanding and knowing how your ball is crucial for our game and it really is one of the biggest game changers.

WITB 2019

Driver: :taylormade-small:Taylormade M2 8.5 w/ Xstiff Aldila RIP Beta shaft

2 Iron: :taylormade-small:Talormade P790 UDI 17 degree w/ Hazardus Xstiff driver shaft

4-PW: :taylormade-small:Taylormade PSI iron w/ KBS C-taper stiff iron shafts

52 degree: :cleveland-small:Cleveland RTX 3

56 degree: :callaway-small:Callaway Mac Daddy 4

60 degree-::taylormade-small:Taylormade milled grind

Putter: :cameron-small:Scotty Cameron Dual Balance X5

Ball::titelist-small:ProV1x

On 7/5/2019 at 12:09 AM, TR1PTIK said:

Quoting myself because I'm a little bit confused again. Had a chance to listen to NPG episode 8 and the MGS guys reveal that it was the Rife V-Motion ball that they cut open. In theory, this means that of the three they cut open in that video you can only buy one model currently. ??? I don't know if the Rife E-Motion is the same ball or not.

While I 100% agree with what they say about the engineering claims made by Vice, all they are showing is what I already assumed and what is already done across many different industries (MVMT Watches anyone?). Are they just really hoping that Vice will come out and say, "oh yeah, we don't really engineer golf balls."??? Vice already issued a statement in response to the MGS Instagram post that is at least plausible (though not likely) wherein they claimed they shared their design with other brands to keep costs low during early stages of production. I don't think they're going to back down from what they've been advertising for years at this point.

I guess I just think MGS would be better served to track down current ball models that are the same and then hit back at Vice.

What do you guys think?

CORRECTION:

Obviously, I did not listen far enough into the podcast where they began to talk about having contacted the actual manufacturers. Really interesting stuff. Also, really interesting to hear what they said about the Kirkland golf ball.

Edited by TR1PTIK

...play the ball that works for you.  Every. Single. Time.

Who cares what's on the inside.

Who cares what's on the outside.

Who cares who makes it.

Who cares what color it is.

Who cares if it's 9.99 for 15 or 47.99 for 12.

PLAY THE BALL THAT WORKS FOR YOU AND BLOCK OUT ALL THE NOISE.

....don't get me wrong; this is all very interesting information and it's really illuminating but if I enjoy my Top Flite D2+ or my ChromeSoft or my Snell MTB-x or my Vice Pro then I'll keep playing them.  I think the key factor though is not to keep switching; make a choice, stick with it.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

i am eagerly awaiting the "big  company" that is exposed on some level. As much as i like the looks of the TP5, something always seemed off with these balls to me.  They just seem to hook a whole lot more on mishits.....please be the ball, please be the ball.....lol....it would be an industry rocker if one of the big companies is found to be selling a crap core or something

Golf is cool

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

...play the ball that works for you.  Every. Single. Time.

Who cares what's on the inside.

Who cares what's on the outside.

Who cares who makes it.

Who cares what color it is.

Who cares if it's 9.99 for 15 or 47.99 for 12.

PLAY THE BALL THAT WORKS FOR YOU AND BLOCK OUT ALL THE NOISE.

....don't get me wrong; this is all very interesting information and it's really illuminating but if I enjoy my Top Flite D2+ or my ChromeSoft or my Snell MTB-x or my Vice Pro then I'll keep playing them.  I think the key factor though is not to keep switching; make a choice, stick with it.

I don't disagree with what you're saying. Aside from maybe trying the Bridgestone Tour B X for a higher level of quality and a seamless ball, I plan to keep playing the Vice Pro for as long as it's made. What I'm mostly getting at is why is MGS pushing this so hard? They even admit that the balls performed well in their own tests. Just seems like they have an axe to grind lately and I'm not sure why. If you read through the comments on social media, you'll see that I'm not the only one either. 

I'd be much more interested in seeing them find a ball that's marketed with one design, but is actually very different, or something along those lines. 

4 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I don't disagree with what you're saying. Aside from maybe trying the Bridgestone Tour B X for a higher level of quality and a seamless ball, I plan to keep playing the Vice Pro for as long as it's made. What I'm mostly getting at is why is MGS pushing this so hard? They even admit that the balls performed well in their own tests. Just seems like they have an axe to grind lately and I'm not sure why. If you read through the comments on social media, you'll see that I'm not the only one either. 

I'd be much more interested in seeing them find a ball that's marketed with one design, but is actually very different, or something along those lines. 

Think of something like an Apple computer and a Asus computer.

What if the Apple had the same parts on the inside as the Asus but charged people 30-50% more because it is an Apple... 

How would you feel if you were the person buying the Apple when all along you could have bought the Asus?

I realize this is a bit extreme but nobody has really done this with golf balls before...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

1 minute ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

What if the Apple had the same parts on the inside as the Asus but charged people 30-50% more because it is an Apple...

Great analogy! There are many people who will pay a premium for a name and, IMO, that's how you can tell a company's marketing organization has done their job.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

The whole point is “power to the people”. Golfers should know, and why have the ball companies been so secretive about it? Why do they market as though what they’re selling is is “different” or “unique”, yet it isn’t? I’m totally in favor of what MGS is doing. The ball test, this, etc. Pull back the curtain of the golf industry and make these companies have to be more than marketing! I love it. Let’s stop allowing them to lie, or at least not be forthright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

... There's a billion things I would rather do than sit thru a podcast, especially the MGS guys. But I did watch/listen to the latest ball issue because I am interested in their findings, if not their opinions about those findings. That said, at least Tony mused that the Vice ball is just misleading not an inferior product. Foremost the ball producer, has their own R&D team and produce a very playable ball. They went on to say they are not telling anyone not to play the ball, just know they are simply buying balls from a catalog that others buy from and have the exact same ball with another name on it. 

... I have said before I do not have a problem with marketing and hyperbole as the two go hand in hand. But that is only as long as they are just engaging in typical capitalism perhaps misleading hype, not out right lying to me. Lets just say for arguments sake that Foremost has a run that does not meet QC and sells them at a discount. Would Vice buy these because the average high index player can't tell the difference and they could make more money? Of course we don't have the answer to that question but lie to me once and I simply do not trust you. 

... And for me at least, I will always choose to support the guys that do the right thing. Do their own R&D, their own QC and produce their own ball. Will Vice/Cut have 2 out of 12 ball with a defect? 4 out of 12? Even 1 out of 12 is too many for me. I simply want to reward the guys like Snell or the OEMs that put in the work from start to finish and produce the best ball they can. One of the awesome things about living in a free country is anyone is free to sell a ball even if they have no idea how they are made and you are free to buy them. It is all about personal choice and the MGS ball series is just helping you be informed.  

Edited by chisag

17 minutes ago, chisag said:

... There's a billion things I would rather do than sit thru a podcast, especially the MGS guys. But I did watch/listen to the latest ball issue because I am interested in their findings, if not their opinions about those findings. That said, at least Tony mused that the Vice ball is just misleading not an inferior product. Foremost the ball producer, has their own R&D team and produce a very playable ball. They went on to say they are not telling anyone not to pay the ball, just know they are simply buying balls from a catalog that others buy from and have the exact same ball with another name on it. 

Perhaps this part is just getting lost in translation (or at least the tone of the message) with the way Adam gets so excited about it.

Personally, this just isn't news to me - especially since the balls they cut open are older balls which are no longer being sold (except for the vice). Show me the other brands that are selling this golf ball NOW and at a LOWER PRICE and then I'll care. OR, they could try to get their hands on the Foremost PTS Series golf ball (what I believe Vice is selling based on the podcast) to better prove their point. As it sits, they've just left the door open for Vice's marketing department to continue spinning whatever story they want. 

18 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Perhaps this part is just getting lost in translation (or at least the tone of the message) with the way Adam gets so excited about it.

Personally, this just isn't news to me - especially since the balls they cut open are older balls which are no longer being sold (except for the vice). Show me the other brands that are selling this golf ball NOW and at a LOWER PRICE and then I'll care. OR, they could try to get their hands on the Foremost PTS Series golf ball (what I believe Vice is selling based on the podcast) to better prove their point. As it sits, they've just left the door open for Vice's marketing department to continue spinning whatever story they want. 

my understanding is that going forward Tony will be cutting open balls he finds on the course (and encourages other to do so as well)....typically those you find on the course are still available for purchase.

If you want to try it pick up a PVC cutter... DON'T USE A SAW OR ANY OTHER KNIFE.  We don't want spies with sliced fingers!  The PVC cutters are pretty cheap and it could be fun.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/pvc cutter?NCNI-5

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

my understanding is that going forward Tony will be cutting open balls he finds on the course (and encourages other to do so as well)....typically those you find on the course are still available for purchase.

If you want to try it pick up a PVC cutter... DON'T USE A SAW OR ANY OTHER KNIFE.  We don't want spies with sliced fingers!  The PVC cutters are pretty cheap and it could be fun.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/pvc cutter?NCNI-5

I've got one, and a tub of balls I got from a buddy with plenty of oldies and some newer models as well. I've been using them for my hitting net during the winter months, but I really only need a couple so I plan on cutting open several and sharing what I find. At the very least, it will entertain me for an evening LOL

23 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Whoa whoa whoa hold on a minute here... I didn't listen to the podcast either so everything I've gleaned has been from these posts and the Twitter machine. Am I reading correctly that the picture showing 3 balls all cut open and showing the exact same inner workings is using 2 balls from companies no longer around? Further, that those companies (along with other defunct DTC companies like 3Up) were widely known years ago to have been purchasing from the same sources and putting their logo on them? This all came out when Titleist threatened to sue them all.  

10 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Whoa whoa whoa hold on a minute here... I didn't listen to the podcast either so everything I've gleaned has been from these posts and the Twitter machine. Am I reading correctly that the picture showing 3 balls all cut open and showing the exact same inner workings is using 2 balls from companies no longer around? Further, that those companies (along with other defunct DTC companies like 3Up) were widely known years ago to have been purchasing from the same sources and putting their logo on them? This all came out when Titleist threatened to sue them all.  

... yup. 

15 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Rife is still around, but the ball they cut open is the V-Motion golf ball. The only Rife model I could still find for sale is the E-Motion golf ball (no idea if they're the same or different) which has been discounted and only available from a few sources. Monsta went out of business to the best of my knowledge and I don't believe Rife is in the business of trying to market and sell golf balls either - they still do putters.

My guess is that most of those DTC brand didn't have the pockets to challenge Acushnet in court, but apparently Vice did (or they at least had the marbles to stick around and see if anything would actually happen). Like I said, the news of white label golf balls is nothing new - perhaps that's why MGS specifically targeted these three golf balls. Show me the guys that are still doing this right now and show me that they're being sold at a lower price point.

2 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Show me the guys that are still doing this right now and show me that they're being sold at a lower price point.

This right here. Yup.

13 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Show me the guys that are still doing this right now and show me that they're being sold at a lower price point.

Maybe I misunderstood but isn't that the point of the entire cut-it-open project?

Ignore the cover, cut it open, see what's on the inside and compare what you found; if you found something nearly identical turn it over and see who makes it.  Is one being sold at a lower price point?  Why?  Are you justifying their marketing by paying more for the pricier ball?  that money has to come from somewhere, right?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

The #finditcutit thing is interesting and fun, but I'm not sure why finding it on the course is so important.  In addition, I thought there was supposed to be something about cutting open a box of the same ball (i.e. Brand X, Model Y) and finding that there were actually several different types of balls with different materials, different constructions, but all labeled as the same on the outside.  That would seem to be a far more egregious offense.  IMO, buying a "stock" ball and labeling it as your own brand is no worse than knowing the Walmart brand ketchup is probably made in the same factory as the Heinz ketchup.