TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

Well then I'm a little shocked, ok I'm not shocked, to see they post this litigation as current.  Their picture on the podcast even cuts off the bottom of the document which displays the date.  Misleading and seems a bit dishonest.
I like some of the things that come out of MGS but more and more there are undertones that they are pushing something that isn't there.

Within the first 3 minutes of the MGS video, Tony Covey says “the lawsuit Titleist bright against several smaller golf ball companies several years ago.....”

Claiming MGS is being dishonest in claiming this “litigation is current” is quite the bold statement.

Did you even watch the video?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

If you have never dealt with a legal case they can take many years.  This case wasn't current and settled and was reported as such by MGS in 2015.  This whole video is a regurgitation of yesterdays news.

I watched the video twice and sorry I missed the half a second statement of, "several years ago...."  Doesn't change the fact the entire video is misleading as today's information.   More MGS just riling the masses of people, like me, who don't follow golf equipment every second of the day.  Just trying to make sure I'm getting value for my money not reading/watching some story from yesteryear passed off as news.

Really, the whole thing is about off brands of balls, no one has ever heard of, sucking.  Well, no kidding.  

Edited by pilot25

5 hours ago, pilot25 said:

If you have never dealt with a legal case they can take many years.  This case wasn't current and settled and was reported as such by MGS in 2015.  This whole video is a regurgitation of yesterdays news.

I watched the video twice and sorry I missed the half a second statement of, "several years ago...."  Doesn't change the fact the entire video is misleading as today's information.   More MGS just riling the masses of people, like me, who don't follow golf equipment every second of the day.  Just trying to make sure I'm getting value for my money not reading/watching some story from yesteryear passed off as news.

Really, the whole thing is about off brands of balls, no one has ever heard of, sucking.  Well, no kidding.  

Hold on tight for the ride. There may be some well known brands that will open people’s eyes 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 hours ago, pilot25 said:

I'm in a business where people see dollar signs every time our project signs go up.  You're not explaining anything to me I haven't been through over a 25 year career.  Been deposed so often, the local attorney's are on a first name basis with my office and are my frequent playing partners on the golf course afterward.

This specific litigation may be yesterday's news but companies are still selling the same exact balls from this litigation today.  By definition, that makes this situation very relevant today!  As @RickyBobby_PRsaid, hold on tight because some bigger name companies are also selling this same ball.  Does the ball on the right below look familiar?  "Foremost" anyone!?!?!

@sixcat has it right. The image he posted is what I was talking about yesterday. It's also possible some of the examples in my possession could be noteworthy as well. I should have time tonight to grab some pictures and/or video.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

When a company like FGM is manufacturing multiple different cores at one time, it's not really that surprising that occasionally (or even more than occasionally), one of those cores will end up in the wrong pile and get covered by the wrong cover. For someone like Vice, or Maxfli, or any of the other brands that depend on FGM for 100% of the manufacturing; they have no way of knowing for certain if the core in the ball is what it's supposed to be.

Taylor Made (who I believe is just ordering cores) has an easier time because you can obviously reject one if the outer layer of the core is wrong (of course if they messed up an inner layer they're SOL).

Frankly, I'd be more shocked if this never happened than by it happening. The only real question is how prevalent is it. Do 1 out 12 Maxfili/Vice/etc balls have the wrong core? Is it 1 out of 100? 1 out of 1000?

Ping Traverse
King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60
TEE E8 4W, 7W
Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
TEE CB PROs 60*
Scotty Cameron Squareback

1 hour ago, arbeck said:

When a company like FGM is manufacturing multiple different cores at one time, it's not really that surprising that occasionally (or even more than occasionally), one of those cores will end up in the wrong pile and get covered by the wrong cover. For someone like Vice, or Maxfli, or any of the other brands that depend on FGM for 100% of the manufacturing; they have no way of knowing for certain if the core in the ball is what it's supposed to be.

Taylor Made (who I believe is just ordering cores) has an easier time because you can obviously reject one if the outer layer of the core is wrong (of course if they messed up an inner layer they're SOL).

Frankly, I'd be more shocked if this never happened than by it happening. The only real question is how prevalent is it. Do 1 out 12 Maxfili/Vice/etc balls have the wrong core? Is it 1 out of 100? 1 out of 1000?

I do agree with this point and it is the one reason why I stipulated there could still be a reasonable explanation. I've spent the last decade of my life in manufacturing and although the products we make have to adhere to very high levels of quality (for use in space, defense, & medical), there are still mishaps. It's just part of it unfortunately.

On the flip side, FGM doesn't appear to make any 4 or 5-pc golf balls according to their website.... 🤔

Did anyone here think that Costco was making their own golf balls? That somehow they decided to hire the required engineers and design something from scratch. I think we all knew that that partnered with a manufacturer to get their logo on a ball. 

And I don't think we minded, it is /was a great ball, and a really great value. If Vice, Cut, Snell or any of the other DTC brands are engineering or just providing a golf ball, I really don't mind. The balls they are selling perform at a pretty high level. And they provide them at a nice price point. 

Do I think it is disingenuous to claim that they engineered them? Yes, but do I think that nearly every claim the big players in golf equipment make is also misleading... Yep, it's marketing. 

At the end of the day, performance and value are my decision makers. 

I played the Rife V-Motion for 2 years, thought it was a great ball. Knowing that it is the same as the Vice Pro, I might actual be more likely to play them now. Heck, if I could find a monsta ball I'd play that. And if the DSG balls turn out to be that ball as well, great because it preforms. 

The QC issues that probably exist, ie two different cores in the same wrapper, are probably very low rates, and probably non existent with titiest, srixon and Bridgestone. If that is your outrage, wow, but stick to the big guys. 

The biggest thing I got from the ball test is that the big boys have access to better manufacturing tolerances. I bought some MTB-X after the test, knowing that there performance was what I was looking for, not because of the driver numbers, but because of their high iron and wedge spin where I need help. I float balanced them, and play them with no hesitation. If price wasn't a factor, I'd play a srixon or Bridgestone. But it is, so Vice, Snell and Costco are good choices for me. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

... I really, really wish people would stop lumping Snell in with Vice, Cut, etc. Dean deserves more respect than companies that buy balls from a catalog. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I really, really wish people would stop lumping Snell in with Vice, Cut, etc. Dean deserves more respect than companies that buy ball rom a catalog. 

couldn't agree MORE .... there's a DTC ball company and then there's Snell golf.

Dean Snell has the pedigree that none NONE of these other DTC companies have:

Prior to his work in the golf industry, Snell spent time with BF Goodrich in its Aerospace and Defense Division where he worked on F-14 and F-15 fighter jets.[4] He joined Titleist in the late 1980s and developed a number of patents for the company, including for the Pro V1.[4] Snell worked for Titleist for seven years.[2]

Snell left Titleist in 1996 and went to work for TaylorMade where he was vice president of golf ball research and development.[3] When he joined the company, it only had one golf ball patent and no one assigned to ball research and development.[4] He was given freedom within the company which grew to approximately 60 research and developers by 2006. During his time there, he designed the TaylorMade TP golf ball which was used on the PGA Tour by players such as Sergio García and Justin Rose.[4] He left the company in 2014.[3]

After leaving TaylorMade, Snell began designing his own golf ball line under his new company Snell Golf.[1]

And his Snell balls are fantastic.... 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

5 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I really, really wish people would stop lumping Snell in with Vice, Cut, etc. Dean deserves more respect than companies that buy ball rom a catalog. 

You are correct about him deserving respect, but he gets lumped in because of the DTC model. It's just part of it. And not that I question what Dean Snell is doing, but I've never thought to ask where are his golf balls manufactured? Just curious is all.

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

I do agree with this point and it is the one reason why I stipulated there could still be a reasonable explanation. I've spent the last decade of my life in manufacturing and although the products we make have to adhere to very high levels of quality (for use in space, defense, & medical), there are still mishaps. It's just part of it unfortunately.

On the flip side, FGM doesn't appear to make any 4 or 5-pc golf balls according to their website.... 🤔

They may make 4pc balls that are exclusive to a single brand. The Maxfli balls are both 3 and 4 piece balls, and do have at least one patent on them. FGM probably makes them but doesn't let anyone else buy those balls for their own brand. But you might accidentally get one in your order.

I also think that they make the cores for Taylor Made. Taylor Made imports the cores (and it's possible other brands are doing this too). Those cores could easily end up inside a different cover at the FGM factory. 

I have a feeling FGM can probably make a ball for someone like Snell who is even designing it on their own. And if so, those cores and balls are going to be mixed in with the others and mistakes will happen.

I don't think anyone is being nefarious. But the smaller brands simply can't do the kind of QC that would be required to catch all of these mistakes and FGM really doesn't have any motivation to do so.

Ping Traverse
King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60
TEE E8 4W, 7W
Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
TEE CB PROs 60*
Scotty Cameron Squareback

7 minutes ago, arbeck said:

They may make 4pc balls that are exclusive to a single brand. The Maxfli balls are both 3 and 4 piece balls, and do have at least one patent on them. FGM probably makes them but doesn't let anyone else buy those balls for their own brand. But you might accidentally get one in your order.

I also think that they make the cores for Taylor Made. Taylor Made imports the cores (and it's possible other brands are doing this too). Those cores could easily end up inside a different cover at the FGM factory. 

I have a feeling FGM can probably make a ball for someone like Snell who is even designing it on their own. And if so, those cores and balls are going to be mixed in with the others and mistakes will happen.

I don't think anyone is being nefarious. But the smaller brands simply can't do the kind of QC that would be required to catch all of these mistakes and FGM really doesn't have any motivation to do so.

All fair points that fall into the realm of possible. It would really take some digging to discover the full truth, but it's clear there is a lot of information manufacturers don't want us to know.

19 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

You are correct about him deserving respect, but he gets lumped in because of the DTC model. It's just part of it. And not that I question what Dean Snell is doing, but I've never thought to ask where are his golf balls manufactured? Just curious is all.

It says on the box, but off the top of my head I can't remember...it's either Taiwan or Korea.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

On 7/11/2019 at 12:39 PM, chisag said:

... I really, really wish people would stop lumping Snell in with Vice, Cut, etc. Dean deserves more respect than companies that buy balls from a catalog. 

Why?  Do you know him personally?  How do you know he didn't decide to capitalize on his name and just pump out some crap and make 200% profit.

I know people love the brands they love but really?  Unless you are related to or work for Snell you have no idea what they are doing and what they are about.  It fascinates me the hats people wear on the course with the logos like they are being paid.  The apple stickers on car bumpers.  If you aren't getting paid by them then why the heck advertise their products on your stuff or person?  So passionate about a product you have no hand in.  So freaking weird the ties people have to products.

As people have posted above, QC costs money and just like any other product for sale, you get what you pay for.  There are no work arounds.  What is different here is you can't just split the thing open and make sure you have a good product like you can see the seams of a finely made shirt or the wood grain on a crafted table.  Ball quality is hidden and you have to believe you are getting something good because the chances the slice into the water is you and not the balls fault.  I'd like to believe Snell is an honorable person and wouldn't try to just make a buck with scam pushing his creds but $29 per dozen.  Sorry is isn't a quality product as much as we'd like to believe he got around the manufacturing cost system somehow.  

You want a good ball for your game you are going to have to pay for it. Plain and simple.

Mark Crossfield's tweet quoted in the video is spot on.

Edited by pilot25

On 7/11/2019 at 7:21 AM, sixcat said:

I'm in a business where people see dollar signs every time our project signs go up.  You're not explaining anything to me I haven't been through over a 25 year career.  Been deposed so often, the local attorney's are on a first name basis with my office and are my frequent playing partners on the golf course afterward.

This specific litigation may be yesterday's news but companies are still selling the same exact balls from this litigation today.  By definition, that makes this situation very relevant today!  As @RickyBobby_PRsaid, hold on tight because some bigger name companies are also selling this same ball.  Does the ball on the right below look familiar?  "Foremost" anyone!?!?!

Why are we holding on tight?  Really?  Because they want to string out a story to get clicks or because they want to get clicks knowing its a total let down but get what you can get while you can.  Its like clicking on a political media story.  "BREAKING NEWS....after commercial break..."

Nonsense.....  If something comes out about Titleist, Callaway, Taylormade, Brigestone, I'll concede the staff at MGS uncovered a story.  Until then you get what you pay for and shouldn't disappointed when you get a crap ball for $20-$30 a dozen.

Edited by pilot25

44 minutes ago, pilot25 said:

Why are we holding on tight?  Really?  Because they want to string out a story to get clicks or because they want to get clicks knowing its a total let down but get what you can get while you can.  Its like clicking on a political media story.  "BREAKING NEWS....after commercial break..."

Nonsense.....  If something comes out about Titleist, Callaway, Taylormade, Brigestone, I'll concede the staff at MGS uncovered a story.  Until then you get what you pay for and shouldn't disappointed when you get a crap ball for $20-$30 a dozen.

Considering that titleist and Bridgestone own the entire process doubt that you will see anything earth shattering from them. TM and Callaway don’t own the entire process and outside of the top level balls Callaway balls are produced overseas.

Obviously you don’t care for the information that mgs recently put out and for one its old news but mgs doesn’t just cater to those who read the forum but their millions of readers of which some don’t know the info they put out. They are also in the business like any other website to draw views and giving away all the marbles at once isn’t good business. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

22 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

They are also in the business like any other website to draw views and giving away all the marbles at once isn’t good business. 

I agree they aren't doing charity work.  However, I don't think earth shattering news is coming.  I guess that is independent on the person reading the story.  If people think they can get a $4 ball for $2 then I guess the news will be worthy.

Little web analytics research show MGS organic traffic of 150k per month.  That isn't exactly millions of readers.

Edited by pilot25

I’m a Snell MTB-X tester for the forum and the ball performs very very well for me. That being said upon close inspection after receiving them at minimum 2 out of the 12 I got for testing would be X outs for other brands. If I had a better camera I could make a strong argument that 10 out of 12 would be X outs. I have yet to put the 2 really bad ones in play but I will at some point just to see if the visible blemishes impact performance at all.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

32 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I’m a Snell MTB-X tester for the forum and the ball performs very very well for me. That being said upon close inspection after receiving them at minimum 2 out of the 12 I got for testing would be X outs for other brands. If I had a better camera I could make a strong argument that 10 out of 12 would be X outs. I have yet to put the 2 really bad ones in play but I will at some point just to see if the visible blemishes impact performance at all.

Do you get to cut them open?  I'd like to see an independent person (not the staff of any site or company) cut open 12 of them and see what they look like.  Its not everyday the average person will throw their money away to cut open brand new balls for the benefit of others.

Do you get to cut them open?  I'd like to see an independent person (not the staff of any site or company) cut open 12 of them and see what they look like.  Its not everyday the average person will throw their money away to cut open brand new balls for the benefit of others.

I don’t have 12 left but I’ll cut at least a couple open for my final review of the product.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

2 hours ago, pilot25 said:

I agree they aren't doing charity work.  However, I don't think earth shattering news is coming.  I guess that is independent on the person reading the story.  If people think they can get a $4 ball for $2 then I guess the news will be worthy.

Little web analytics research show MGS organic traffic of 150k per month.  That isn't exactly millions of readers.

Your analytics are off by about 600k/month.

i don’t think anyone is expecting to get a $4 for $2 but they would want to know if the exact ball the are paying $25 for can be had for $10 with a different logo on it. Or as followers and staff dive deeper into the finditcutit and start showing inconsistencies within the same dozen and that some of the issues they may see on the course aren’t necessarily user error but rather the ball quality. Golfers armed with more info may start to question their ball purchases and look into playing balls from a company that controls more of the process and has better quality.

like you said it’s going to vary by reader but I do think there will be one eye opening information provided. 

MGS also posted on social media they had reached 8 million unique hits on their site.

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Your analytics are off by about 600k/month.

Organic traffic is 150k per month.  You can look it up.

Unique hits aren't a reliable source of traffic due to the increase in VPN use.

Edited by pilot25

The larger question for me is why are you holding on so tight? You seem somehow invested in this argument. Are you one of the guys who started Vice? A relative? Or just a keyboard warrior trying to prove he’s “right?”

You just seem oddly passionate about something so mundane! Play whatever ball floats your boat. I couldn’t care less!

8 hours ago, sixcat said:

The larger question for me is why are you holding on so tight? You seem somehow invested in this argument. Are you one of the guys who started Vice? A relative? Or just a keyboard warrior trying to prove he’s “right?”

You just seem oddly passionate about something so mundane! Play whatever ball floats your boat. I couldn’t care less!

... Pilot25 does the same confrontational thing about balls on wrx and started a thread about DTC balls on THP. Folks are much friendlier here so I just put him on ignore. He is the first and hopefully the last.

... Otherwise, pretty simple stuff really. Snell has a pedigree and has put in the work, the other guys just order from a catalog. I don't play Snell balls but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate and respect someone that actually designs his own balls and has put in years of R&D. As you said, play whatever ball you want, none of us here care what anyone plays. Nothing wrong with playing Vice or Cut because they are just a catalog ordered ball, which is not a comment on their quality or how they perform. 

Edited by chisag

9 hours ago, pilot25 said:

Organic traffic is 150k per month.  You can look it up.

Unique hits aren't a reliable source of traffic due to the increase in VPN use.

I’m just going by what mgs has on their home page. Not sure what your grudge is against mgs it their testing but I’ll be bowing out of any further discussion because it’s obvuously going nowhere 

... He does the same confrontational thing about balls on wrx and started a thread about DTC balls on THP. Folks are much friendlier here so I just ignore him. Otherwise, pretty simple stuff really. Snell has a pedigree and has put in the work, the other guys just order from a catalog. I don't play Snell balls but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate and respect someone that actually designs his own balls and has put in years of R&D. As you said, play whatever ball you want, none of us here care what anyone plays. Nothing wrong with playing Vice or Cut because they are just a catalog ordered ball, which is not a comment on their quality or how they perform. 

Haven’t been on WRX for a while given this stuff is the norm. I left THP years ago when a MOD took something from a PM between myself and another member and posted it on the public forum.

I have been playing Snell since May 1st. Honestly, very good golf ball but has some inconsistencies that are giving me a little pause at the moment. Mostly with flight and trajectory with short irons and wedges. I can’t offer a specific example other than the flight is just inconsistent.

With the driver, the trajectory of one shot may be a dozen or more feet higher than the next driver. Like I said, inconsistent. Haven’t seen anything majorly offline like the MGS testing would suggest.

... Going to the PGA Show every year and demoing everything as well as interviewing many OEM's, I am always curious about new products. So I ordered Vice, Kirkland and Cut balls. No problem with Kirkland or Vice but the Cut balls were atrocious for QC and I posted pictures here in another thread. Also ordered and played Snell Blacks and liked them. But the TP5x is such a good ball for me that I don't play anything else with the exception of the Z Star, which I find very close in performance and ordered 4 dozen when they had their buy one get one free deal. 

... Again, I have no problem with people playing whatever ball they want for whatever reason they choose (other than used balls that may have spent time in water) as do the vast majority of posters here. Information is always welcome while arguing about what others should play is really other forums problems.