Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png The owner of another site just asked me to not come on his site! I love it!

I had the GALL to say that a site that doesn’t take money from OEMs is more likely to be honest. He didn’t like that!

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji3590.pngemoji3590.png Goooooood stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone that’s spent time there knows he doesn’t like when the cat is let out of the bag, the magic trick is exposed, the curtain pulled from the wizard. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The owner of another site just asked me to not come on his site! I love it!
I had the GALL to say that a site that doesn’t take money from OEMs is more likely to be honest. He didn’t like that!
Goooooood stuff!

Not sure it’s the same site but the owner of another forum once posted a private conversation between myself and another forum member in the public forum!

Hard for me to image it’s a different site dedicated to us “hackers!”

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Did y’all see this? Pretty big! I’m glad to see that a big company is at least taking this seriously.

IMG_4115.PNG.e5f311378ef413b188e6235f5b56b94e.PNG

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

1 hour ago, ChasingScratch said:

Did y’all see this? Pretty big! I’m glad to see that a big company is at least taking this seriously.

IMG_4115.PNG.e5f311378ef413b188e6235f5b56b94e.PNG

Yeah. That was good.  And while I give them credit for not trying to duck the issue.  As someone asked me earlier today.   Where is the study Callaway said they were going to do, to prove MGS's claims about balls that were off center or had quality issues.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I just for the most part dropped it as anyone who has spent time there knows, he's never wrong and everyone else is a liar. 

I'm fairly certain I know who you are referring to and that is exactly my impression as well.  I suspect he suffers from NPD.  I was just researching some golf equipment info when I ran across a link to MGS... never to log into that golf forum again.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm fairly certain I know who you are referring to and that is exactly my impression as well.  I suspect he suffers from NPD.  I was just researching some golf equipment info when I ran across a link to MGS... never to log into that golf forum again.

Don't say never.  He can make it look otherwise 😜

On 7/13/2019 at 9:04 PM, Tsecor said:

can you post pics so we can see the testing?

Post pictures? It was a simply Epsom salt water float test, what kind of pictures do you need to see? DO you not believe my conclusions?

On 7/15/2019 at 1:54 PM, Monaco said:

Hi,

do you have a link, what to do in the test?

i will do it with the mtbx! 

% out of my 6 dozen Srixon Z Stars I would consider perfect after doing the float test.

8 minutes ago, WalterS said:

Post pictures? It was a simply Epsom salt water float test, what kind of pictures do you need to see? DO you not believe my conclusions?

Its not that deep walter.  Was just curious. Thought it would be cool to see and everyone could learn from it. 

Edited by Tsecor

Golf is cool

12 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Its not that deep walter.  Was just curious. Thought it would be cool to see and everyone could learn from it. 

Search YouTube plenty of videos already 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Not sure it’s the same site but the owner of another forum once posted a private conversation between myself and another forum member in the public forum!

Hard for me to image it’s a different site dedicated to us “hackers!”

Yep, same one!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

4 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

To each their own as they say, but if I ever get to the point I'm floating golf balls in a salt bath, my wife will most surely take my clubs away 🙃.  

How come the balls get a bath and I don't???

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

8 hours ago, PMookie said:

Yep, same one!!!

DirecTV had just launched their streaming service and were advertising on THP.  Myself and another forum member had "cut the cord" several years prior and were PM'ing tips and tricks we had learned along the way.  At that time, DTV Now wasn't offering anything we couldn't stream somewhere free.  Probably still aren't.

JB took bits and pieces of dozens of PM's between myself and the other member and painted them in the public forum in such a way that made it look like we were doing something illegal.  Which we most certainly were not!  When we called him out on it in the public forum, he painted himself into a corner, wasn't able to get out and it was obvious to everyone he was lying.  I was getting hundreds of PM's from various forum members.  At that point, he deleted the forum content pertaining to this topic and banned myself and the other forum member.

I haven't been back to see if I'm still banned and honestly don't care.  Garbage site with a garbage owner!

DirecTV had just launched their streaming service and were advertising on THP.  Myself and another forum member had "cut the cord" several years prior and were PM'ing tips and tricks we had learned along the way.  At that time, DTV Now wasn't offering anything we couldn't stream somewhere free.  Probably still aren't.
JB took bits and pieces of dozens of PM's between myself and the other member and painted them in the public forum in such a way that made it look like we were doing something illegal.  Which we most certainly were not!  When we called him out on it in the public forum, he painted himself into a corner, wasn't able to get out and it was obvious to everyone he was lying.  I was getting hundreds of PM's from various forum members.  At that point, he deleted the forum content pertaining to this topic and banned myself and the other forum member.
I haven't been back to see if I'm still banned and honestly don't care.  Garbage site with a garbage owner!

Wowwwwww! What a prick!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Absolutely fascinating read posted on Facebook by MyGolfSpy:

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:38 PM, cnosil said:

They cut open a dozen Chromesofts and a dozen Chromesoft X's.   The ball in the picture was the worst of the bunch with many of the others noticeably off.   The X's were interesting as well; there seemed to be a lighter blue "core" inside the blue core of varying sizes.    saw the price tag on the boxes and it is from a local store I frequent.   I know one of the posters on social media is claiming they are counterfeit or altered balls,  but I can assure you these were authentic balls. 

After the last post by MSG I cut open my chromesoft, ERC and Chromesoft X and found no problems with balls at all. I posted on the site my findings and noticed it was taken down. ???? I went out cut some additional balls and found no problems. I would hope they would also post the inperfections of other brands and not just call out Callaway. Also do some more cuts on Callaway balls and see what results they get. I am totally confused. I also did like you and spun my chromesoft and found they balanced really well.

33 minutes ago, jp410 said:

After the last post by MSG I cut open my chromesoft, ERC and Chromesoft X and found no problems with balls at all. I posted on the site my findings and noticed it was taken down. ???? I went out cut some additional balls and found no problems. I would hope they would also post the inperfections of other brands and not just call out Callaway. Also do some more cuts on Callaway balls and see what results they get. I am totally confused. I also did like you and spun my chromesoft and found they balanced really well.

Where were your findings posted?

They explained in this week's NPG podcast that Callaway is not the only one at fault, however they did state that Callaway appears to be the worst offender.

If you have findings, share them here. Just be sure to include pictures as we spies tend to be a #datacratic society and don't always go on word of mouth.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

3 hours ago, jp410 said:

Can't answer why they would have deleted your post as I am not associated with MGS.  I can only repeat what is being said on the podcasts,  they are looking to crowdsource the cutting of balls so they can get a larger sample.  Don't cut balls you buy,  cut those that you find and post the results.  They are looking for the pictures to be done in a specific way and are looking at non callaway balls as well.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, jp410 said:

Can you be more specific about where you posted and what.   You just say the site.  That's very generic.  

18 hours ago, jp410 said:

MGS and their followers have posted findings with pictures from over a dozen different golf ball brands with the hashtag #FindItCutIt on both Twitter and Instagram. 

I completely disagree with the insinuation that anyone is picking on Callaway.   I will, however, concede that Callaway seems to be a repetitive offender!

I might have to get busy X-raying some balls. I haven't got an X-ray machine at home, but I certainly do at work. @GolfSpy_X inspired me on the last No Putts Given. I'll have to do some playing with exposures to maximise available subject contrast between layers. Hopefully there is enough difference in density to clearly demonstrate the core, outer layers might be to difficult to demonstrate.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Question time. If it has been shown, that higher compression core yields more distance, does anyone know what the theoretical highest compression that you could play? I see those dunlop 150 compression balls, I've never looked to see if they are confirming. But most of the balls tested were around 110, is that due to hitting the limit for confirming ball speed, or is that due to playability? 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

52 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

Question time. If it has been shown, that higher compression core yields more distance, does anyone know what the theoretical highest compression that you could play? I see those dunlop 150 compression balls, I've never looked to see if they are confirming. But most of the balls tested were around 110, is that due to hitting the limit for confirming ball speed, or is that due to playability? 

There's a law of diminishing returns here. The higher compression tour balls can't be over compressed by the people with the fastest swing speeds out there, so there's no reason going firmer. It's reaching the compression limit that causes the softer balls to slow down. An 85 MPH swinger won't lose ball speed on almost any ball. And the firm balls today don't lose speed for 125+ guys. Maybe if we start seeing a ton people with 130+ swing speeds, the ball will need to firm up. But I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

Ping Traverse
King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60
TEE E8 4W, 7W
Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
TEE CB PROs 60*
Scotty Cameron Squareback

On 4/5/2019 at 11:45 AM, txgolfjunkie said:

I don't know if many of you follow Tony (@GolfSpyT) on twitter but he's been blowing it up with the golf ball test. Needless to say, this test is going to really help in golf ball selection and prove that there are some SIGNIFICANT differences in golf balls out there. I, for one, find this test more useful for my game than the most wanted putter or driver.

Look at the iron test...this is average carry and dispersion (sorry, I'm trying to figure out how to embed his charts on twitter):

https://twitter.com/GolfSpyT/status/1114139033238736897

549026389_MGSTOny.png.154c4465198f74ec816cd8b488575b0b.png

You have one golf ball carrying 189...and another 203.5!! 14 yard difference...that's an entire club! 

In other tweets, he mentions:

• The fastest golf ball off the driver (115mph swing speed) is the Snell MTB X.
  • There's also a 5.5mph difference in golf balls among fast driver speeds (115mph)...that's a huge difference in carry yardage given all the other launch variables are consistent. 
  • Some of the golf balls are flying 40yds offline off the driver...and this is a robot swinging the club. Even with a perfect swing, your golf ball could cause you to miss the fairway...tell me if that doesn't mess with your head. 

Also, he's mentioned a lot about playing just one ball and sticking to it. While I never really thought about it, after seeing the charts he's posted, I'm ready to make a 6 dozen purchase of whatever ball fits my game and play it only from here on out. Case in point: I used to switch from TP5X in the spring/summer/fall months to a Snell MTB Black in the winter time but then when I would switch back to the TP5X, all my approach shots were flying the green. All my carry yardages, especially on the irons, had to be retrained. 

Thanks MGS...and thanks Tony for posting these snippets on twitter. 

I am a new player in golf. I need some best gall ball.so I searched on the internet best golf ball for beginners. I've found many posts, a post is really helpful for me which is
can you please tell me that is this good or bad? though it looks nice to me. 
& please help me with your suggestion. 
Thanks. 

First #finditxrayit done

Callaway ERC Soft, new in box

IMG_0561.PNG.c364186623a0b7c94997274233374587.PNG

Seems to be lots of higher density imperfections, cores look a little inconsistent but this may be a technical issue. I’ll add more as I do them.
It’s an interesting technical challenge, I might have to write a paper

This......is....AWESOME!!!!!!

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts