Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

2 hours ago, SmoothG said:

I also believe this to be true.  I'm just wondering if Oncore is closer to Snell or closer to Vice/Cut?  

2 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

Probably closer to Vice/Cut. In fact, I think Elixer used the same white label ball as the Vice Pro at some point in time.

The oncore guys imo are above what vice/cut do. Vice started off iirc basically using what was on the market then slowly got more into the design where oncore has done their own r&d from the get go and also have tried different tech in balls. They own patents and are working on more.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

35 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The oncore guys imo are above what vice/cut do. Vice started off iirc basically using what was on the market then slowly got more into the design where oncore has done their own r&d from the get go and also have tried different tech in balls. They own patents and are working on more.

You're correct. After going back through MGS Instagram posts I realized I was thinking of Monsta Golf. However, I still have little faith in a company lacking the pedigree of someone like Snell after everything MGS has exposed. They're more than welcome to prove me wrong in time, but if I purchase another DTC brand it will be Snell.

I still have a box of Vice in my closet that I'll eventually put in play until they're gone, but I've been testing the Bridgestone Tour B XS and am very happy with it so far.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

You're correct. After going back through MGS Instagram posts I realized I was thinking of Monsta Golf. However, I still have little faith in a company lacking the pedigree of someone like Snell after everything MGS has exposed. They're more than welcome to prove me wrong in time, but if I purchase another DTC brand it will be Snell.

I still have a box of Vice in my closet that I'll eventually put in play until they're gone, but I've been testing the Bridgestone Tour B XS and am very happy with it so far.

They may not have the recognized pedigree of snell but the oncore guys are going about things in the manner of snell and others back in the day when the balls changed from wound to what we have. They aren’t just taking what’s out there and making tweaks but doing new things.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Finally read all the way through this thread. Lots going on in here.  I am a little surprised the Chrome Soft did so poorly on the test and that there were quality issues. That seems to be the ball that has worked best for me this year. I go between that and the ProV. I keep trying the Bridgestone B RX, but it feels too soft, or something.

Lots of great info in here, though.  I'll keep trying to find that "perfect" ball

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max, 9* 
:taylormade-small:Stealth 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW 
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52* / 56*
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Seven S , 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

• 2 weeks later...
I cannot see the DTC ball market lasting all that long, especially when you have companies like Titleist putting out a $22/dzn ball (trufeel) that performs a lot like the prov 1 in some tests
Some of the DTC lines have developed a strong following. I personally do not like to have to order the balls online. I enjoy getting them instore so I can kick around other gear. But I think the DTC balls that have performed oncourse and in testing will continue to do very well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

About a month ago the ProV1s were on sale for 39. I dont normally buy them but the Tour BXS balls were sold out. Now this did not come up in testing but since put the the ProV1 in play I have been putting extremely well. Not just a small improvement either. It's been 3-4 putts less per round and it's not like my proximity to the hole has decreased. It's just something about how they are coming off the putter. Once I run out of them I may have to do some serious practice green trial and error and see if it's the ball or if I'm just on a hot streak. But the difference was right away and it has sustained.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Tsecor said:

I cannot see the DTC ball market lasting all that long, especially when you have companies like Titleist putting out a $22/dzn ball (trufeel) that performs a lot like the prov 1 in some tests

I think there will always be a DTC market for those who like having quality goods shipped to their door. I do think that the DTC ball companies that are simply rebadging will fade away, while others like Snell will always have a solid sales base. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

22 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I think there will always be a DTC market for those who like having quality goods shipped to their door. I do think that the DTC ball companies that are simply rebadging will fade away, while others like Snell will always have a solid sales base. 

If you think about it, all ball manufacturers are DTC companies. I can go on the Snell web site and order ball just like I can go on the Titleist site and order balls. DTC is just a marketing term. I would argue Titleist is more of a DTC than anyone else since the manufacture many of their balls from a USA factory and you can get balls shipped directly to your door.....for even cheaper prices than the other "DTC's"

Golf is cool

25 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

If you think about it, all ball manufacturers are DTC companies. I can go on the Snell web site and order ball just like I can go on the Titleist site and order balls. DTC is just a marketing term. I would argue Titleist is more of a DTC than anyone else since the manufacture many of their balls from a USA factory and you can get balls shipped directly to your door.....for even cheaper prices than the other "DTC's"

What Titleist ball is priced lower than a common DTC equivalent? Make sure you are comparing apples to apples because obviously something like the 2-piece ionomer TruFeel will be cheaper than a multilayer urethane ball like the Snell MTB-X (in this case the Snell Get Sum would be a better comparison which is priced lower than the TruFeel).

Also you end up paying the higher MSRP if you order direct from Titleist’s site vs buying from a retailer which just doesn’t make sense given the retail availability of Titleist products (with exception to their recent limited releases).

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

No, not really. Titleist can't sell a tour level urethane ball at the same price as Snell due to their overhead and distribution. That's not exactly a true comparison in your example above. DTC is far more than a "marketing term". 

1 hour ago, storm319 said:

What Titleist ball is priced lower than a common DTC equivalent? Make sure you are comparing apples to apples because obviously something like the 2-piece ionomer TruFeel will be cheaper than a multilayer urethane ball like the Snell MTB-X (in this case the Snell Get Sum would be a better comparison which is priced lower than the TruFeel).

Also you end up paying the higher MSRP if you order direct from Titleist’s site vs buying from a retailer which just doesn’t make sense given the retail availability of Titleist products (with exception to their recent limited releases).

Its based in performance. The trufeel is testing very similar to the prov1 which is crazy if u buy into all the marketing hype...which i do not.   

the point is if titleist can make a ball that performs similar to a prov1 for $22 dzn and people want to spend $30 for a snell ball that does the same thing for the average player, then thats up to them.  Imo every manufacturer is a dtc when u can get their ball directly from their site for a great price.   Its all a matter of perspective to me.   

Golf is cool

I'm a fan of the CTP model.... Course-to-player where you hit your ball out of bounds, go hunting for it, find 3 other balls and *profit*.... #finditplayit  😁

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Its based in performance. The trufeel is testing very similar to the prov1 which is crazy if u buy into all the marketing hype...which i do not.   

the point is if titleist can make a ball that performs similar to a prov1 for $22 dzn and people want to spend $30 for a snell ball that does the same thing for the average player, then thats up to them.  Imo every manufacturer is a dtc when u can get their ball directly from their site for a great price.   Its all a matter of perspective to me.   

Hmm. All I hear in my head is, “Soft is slow.” Titleist reps even said, “slower,” in a recent video with Tony. I just don’t see how “the softest ball Titleist makes” can compete ball speed-wise with Pro V1 across the board. Spin around the greens? Sure, but I’ll wait and see where it finds itself after MGS tests. I may be wrong in the long run....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

... Titleist isn't going to sabotage their ProV1 with a $22 soft ball that performs "similar". There may be a market for high index players with low club head speed that find the two balls play "similar" for their style of play but I have been playing and reviewing clubs and balls for over 20 years and I have never played a ball that was not a Tour Level urethane covered ball that could play similar to any OEM's top of the line ball, especially the ProV1. A single digit or Tour player may prefer a Bridgestone, Srixon or Taylor Made premium urethane ball over a ProV1 but none of them are hitting an E6, Q Star or Project (S) and I am 99.99% sure that would include the TruFeel.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

3 hours ago, storm319 said:

I am fairly certain that Titleist does this to protect their relationships with green grass pro shops and their other retail partnerships.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

Hmm. All I hear in my head is, “Soft is slow.” Titleist reps even said, “slower,” in a recent video with Tony. I just don’t see how “the softest ball Titleist makes” can compete ball speed-wise with Pro V1 across the board. Spin around the greens? Sure, but I’ll wait and see where it finds itself after MGS tests. I may be wrong in the long run....

When i saw the on-course testing on you tube (James Robinson) I was shocked.  

Golf is cool

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Titleist isn't going to sabotage their ProV1 with a $22 soft ball that performs "similar". There may be a market for high index players with low club head speed that find the two balls play "similar" for their style of play but I have been playing and reviewing clubs and balls for over 20 years and I have never played a ball that was not a Tour Level urethane covered ball that could play similar to any OEM's top of the line ball, especially the ProV1. A single digit or Tour player may prefer a Bridgestone, Srixon or Taylor Made premium urethane ball over a ProV1 but none of them are hitting an E6, Q Star or Project (S) and I am 99.99% sure that would include the TruFeel.

Like I said, the on course testing was shocking and as stated, we are talking the "average golfer", not tour level pros.....so the comparison is legit, especially when we are talking balls like Snell which you do not see on tour either.

Everyone knows the Prov1 line is elite....but for the average golfer, the performance characteristics and advantages are minimal at best.  But in the on course test I saw, the tru feel flew further and was very comparable on iron shots into the green. Some results were even better. And sure its a small test, but once again, for the AVERAGE golfer who is shopping DTC, this ball seems to pass the initial on course test with flying colors vs the prov1 which is double the cost.

If you can get a Titleist ball shipped directly to your house from Titleist for $22 as opposed to spending $50 for a ball that, once again, that an AVERAGE player will not see any real hardcore difference in performance.....why wouldn't you use the ball....but i guess Marketing rules and it will cause a 18-22 hdcp player to buy prov1's all day long and that golfer will swear up and down the ball helps him or her.  I just don't get it

Golf is cool

8 hours ago, Tsecor said:

If you can get a Titleist ball shipped directly to your house from Titleist for $22 as opposed to spending $50 for a ball that, once again, that an AVERAGE player will not see any real hardcore difference in performance.....why wouldn't you use the ball....but i guess Marketing rules and it will cause a 18-22 hdcp player to buy prov1's all day long and that golfer will swear up and down the ball helps him or her.  I just don't get it

So here's what it'll cost to get TruFeel shipped to my house.

trufeel.png.0660d9e5b53a3405586df2d3363306bc.png

2 piece, surlyn ball. Here's what it'll cost to get the MTB-X shipped to my house:

mtbx.png.3246e3f45badce0badae2e1b28256c7f.png

So $4 more for a tour quality, urethane ball from a DTC company. One that will almost definitely perform noticeably differently around the greens than the above Titleist ball. Oh, and one that actually would be *cheaper* shipped to me if I ordered a larger quantity... but no discount from Titleist for a larger order. 

That's not marketing. That's simple economics combined with solid factual knowledge thanks to MGS.

40 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

So here's what it'll cost to get TruFeel shipped to my house.

trufeel.png.0660d9e5b53a3405586df2d3363306bc.png

2 piece, surlyn ball. Here's what it'll cost to get the MTB-X shipped to my house:

mtbx.png.3246e3f45badce0badae2e1b28256c7f.png

So $4 more for a tour quality, urethane ball from a DTC company. One that will almost definitely perform noticeably differently around the greens than the above Titleist ball. Oh, and one that actually would be *cheaper* shipped to me if I ordered a larger quantity... but no discount from Titleist for a larger order. 

That's not marketing. That's simple economics combined with solid factual knowledge thanks to MGS.

I dont really care about marketing terms like “Tour quality” or even really about urethane or surlyn.  I care about Overall performance for me.  I am a 12-15 hdcp so if the ball performs close to a prov1 for half the price, im in. 

You can actually get them for $10 cheaper with a simple search but i get your point.  No facts support the snell ball is better than the titleist in any form or fashion but we all know the snell is solid.  

but like ive said earlier the difference in performance between the titleist and the prov1 is negligible for amateur players.   

this isnt an attempt to slam anything but to just say for the price, the new titleist MAY be the best bargain out there given the test i saw.  

play whatever u like and spend whatever u want But simple economics show a $22 Titleist ball is attainable and haS performed well in early testing.  For amateurs this could be a bery good ball. 

p.S.  - just saw a 2nd test that shows the trufeel is very comparable to the prov1 in wedge and 7 iron shots to the green and within 10 yards off the driver On trackman.  On course testing Showed they flew almost the same distance and the trufeel performed well around the green
this was the golf monthly test.   Check em out.   

083BD618-01D7-4B46-81FB-BD24C0A3F97F.png

Edited by Tsecor

Golf is cool

You can actually get them for $10 cheaper with a simple search but i get your point.  No facts support the snell ball is better than the titleist in any form or fashion but we all know the snell is solid.    

but like ive said earlier the difference in performance between the titleist and the prov1 is negligible for amateur players.   

this isnt an attempt to slam anything but to just say for the price, the new titleist MAY be the best bargain out there given the test i saw.  

play whatever u like and spend whatever u want But simple economics show a $22 Titleist ball is attainable and haS performed well in early testing.  For amateurs this could be a bery good ball. 

p.S.  - just saw a 2nd test that shows the trufeel is very comparable to the prov1 in wedge and 7 iron shots to the green and within 10 yards off the driver On trackman.  On course testing Showed they flew almost the same distance and the trufeel performed well around the green

083BD618-01D7-4B46-81FB-BD24C0A3F97F.thumb.png.5ca9b9af9746ac168d0bb18deaf0d2ee.png

10 yards off the tee is not “close”... That’s a full club. That’s significant. As I mentioned before, no way they’re “similar” off the tee, but could be around the green, or with wedges because of slower swing speeds into those shots.

A ball that shows a 10 yard gain has me buying that ball!!!!! Heck, I’m buying any DRIVER that gets me a 10 yard gain!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Just now, PMookie said:

10 yards off the tee is not “close”... That’s a full club. That’s significant. As I mentioned before, no way they’re “similar” off the tee, but could be around the green, or with wedges because of slower swing speeds into those shots.

A ball that shows a 10 yard gain has me buying that ball!!!!!

I hear ya. That was on trackman.  On course Teating was a lot closer.   Robinsons On course test showed the trufeel Actually flying further.   So, 1/2 the price and u get the same distance or within 15 feet?? I see the value in that. 

Golf is cool

I dont really care about marketing terms like “Tour quality” or even really about urethane or surlyn.  I care about Overall performance for me.  I am a 12-15 hdcp so if the ball performs close to a prov1 for half the price, im in. 

083BD618-01D7-4B46-81FB-BD24C0A3F97F.thumb.png.5ca9b9af9746ac168d0bb18deaf0d2ee.png

You said Titleist was like a DTC and you could get the ball from them for $22. I pointed out that you couldn’t. Please don’t move the goalposts.

We’re all here and not at other forums because we don’t buy into hype. We buy into proven performance and facts. That’s why this thread is as long as it is. Simple construction and makeup show why the Snell is better than the new TruFeel FOR MANY GOLFERS. You don’t agree? Fine. Play what you like. I have no problem with that. None of us do.

Enjoy your evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, russtopherb said:

You said Titleist was like a DTC and you could get the ball from them for $22. I pointed out that you couldn’t. Please don’t move the goalposts.

We’re all here and not at other forums because we don’t buy into hype. We buy into proven performance and facts. That’s why this thread is as long as it is. Simple construction and makeup show why the Snell is better than the new TruFeel FOR MANY GOLFERS. You don’t agree? Fine. Play what you like. I have no problem with that. None of us do.

Enjoy your evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody is moving anything.  And dont be like the golf wrx guys. Its a discussion, not an argument.   I acknowledged your point (Which was a good one) about DTC With the price and then showed u with a simple search u can get the ball for a lot cheaper.  

All your points are great and i agree. Im simply saying there may be better options for people.   I am a prov1 and a tp5 player but have had better scoring success with chromesoft believe it or not. While prov1 is my favorite ball i may start looking for a ball that performs similarly for 1/2 the price.  Im not in agreement with mgs u have to play the same ball each and every shot ...as a 12 hdcp player.  If i was a great ball striker and a scratch golfer or really low hdcp player, id probably be more inclined to never use A lower priced ball.  I could probably see the performance differences more As well.  But its a good discussion and the testing videos show the comparisons.  Its not my info. Im just shocked how similar the two balls are In initial testing.  

trufeel.jpeg

Edited by Tsecor

Golf is cool

7 hours ago, Tsecor said:

Nobody is moving anything.  And dont be like the golf wrx guys. Its a discussion, not an argument.   I acknowledged your point (Which was a good one) about DTC With the price and then showed u with a simple search u can get the ball for a lot cheaper.  

All your points are great and i agree. Im simply saying there may be better options for people.   I am a prov1 and a tp5 player but have had better scoring success with chromesoft believe it or not. While prov1 is my favorite ball i may start looking for a ball that performs similarly for 1/2 the price.  Im not in agreement with mgs u have to play the same ball each and every shot ...as a 12 hdcp player.  If i was a great ball striker and a scratch golfer or really low hdcp player, id probably be more inclined to never use A lower priced ball.  I could probably see the performance differences more As well.  But its a good discussion and the testing videos show the comparisons.  Its not my info. Im just shocked how similar the two balls are In initial testing.  

Mgs has shown that there are inconsistencies in balls within the same dozen and get qc drops off for brands that own less of the process. One that chooses to play a different ball they a round brings in more inconsistency and possibly even doubt about a bad shot. The vast majority  of golfers will think a bad shot was because of their swing...that may be in some cases but when you know or are pretty sure you made a good swing and good contact and you don’t get the desired result that’s not a good feeling on the course.

The push from other brands for soft balls opened the need for other brands to jump into that market. Titleist is no different especially now that they are publicly owned and sales numbers matter. Companies see the sales for those that want a good ball but don’t want to pay premium prices or the golfer that plays some scrambles with work or friends and has to buy a dozen balls the day of the scramble. A brand like titleist isn’t going to put out a cheaper ball that takes away sales rom their tour line. 

12 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Mgs has shown that there are inconsistencies in balls within the same dozen and get qc drops off for brands that own less of the process. One that chooses to play a different ball they a round brings in more inconsistency and possibly even doubt about a bad shot. The vast majority  of golfers will think a bad shot was because of their swing...that may be in some cases but when you know or are pretty sure you made a good swing and good contact and you don’t get the desired result that’s not a good feeling on the course.

The push from other brands for soft balls opened the need for other brands to jump into that market. Titleist is no different especially now that they are publicly owned and sales numbers matter. Companies see the sales for those that want a good ball but don’t want to pay premium prices or the golfer that plays some scrambles with work or friends and has to buy a dozen balls the day of the scramble. A brand like titleist isn’t going to put out a cheaper ball that takes away sales rom their tour line. 

All true but im not sure anyone is suggesting anything regarding sales numbers.  Its simply a few comments surrounding the surprising on course testing head to head with the prov1

here is something for another thread but ill put it out there    If a 2 pc surlyn ball is limited in how it may perform for certain golfers wouldnt the prov1 ball be considered a “game improvement” ball?  

Golf is cool

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

All true but im not sure anyone is suggesting anything regarding sales numbers.  Its simply a few comments surrounding the surprising on course testing head to head with the prov1

here is something for another thread but ill put it out there    If a 2 pc surlyn ball is limited in how it may perform for certain golfers wouldnt the prov1 ball be considered a “game improvement” ball?  

There’s no such thing as game improvement equipment in golf. That’s a marketing term. Game improvement comes from practice and learning the swing and course managament. I know low single digits that played what are game improvement irons. It didn’t make them an even lower hdcp or a tour pro. I know guys including myself that have played all categories of irons and scores didn’t change.

Companies are in business to make money and those who are publicly owned like Callaway, titleist and so on they big wigs want to see sales increase. They know there’s a market for cheaper balls and they will put out a ball that they hope generates sales. The one thing you will get from titleist regardless of the category of ball and price is a quality product.

when you take out the forum golfer or the one that watches golf YouTube reviews and such the general public isn’t going to know or care how they ball performs against a prov or other tour ball. They are going to pay the cheapest price for a ball they like. They may swap several brands or models to find the one they like and won’t care much because it’s not that expensive.  One of the best selling balls at course pro shops was the Nike mojo...also a ball I used to find quite frequently on courses especially ones that hosted lots of scrambles.  

20 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There’s no such thing as game improvement equipment in golf. That’s a marketing term. Game improvement comes from practice and learning the swing and course managament. I know low single digits that played what are game improvement irons. It didn’t make them an even lower hdcp or a tour pro. I know guys including myself that have played all categories of irons and scores didn’t change.

Companies are in business to make money and those who are publicly owned like Callaway, titleist and so on they big wigs want to see sales increase. They know there’s a market for cheaper balls and they will put out a ball that they hope generates sales. The one thing you will get from titleist regardless of the category of ball and price is a quality product.

when you take out the forum golfer or the one that watches golf YouTube reviews and such the general public isn’t going to know or care how they ball performs against a prov or other tour ball. They are going to pay the cheapest price for a ball they like. They may swap several brands or models to find the one they like and won’t care much because it’s not that expensive.  One of the best selling balls at course pro shops was the Nike mojo...also a ball I used to find quite frequently on courses especially ones that hosted lots of scrambles.  

So true.....i agree with all of what you stated. It was sort of tongue in cheek with that statement but it would fit the marketing description of GI, that's for sure

Golf is cool

I think you have two distinct groups of golfers and a very small third group in regards to golf balls and equipment.

Group 1 is budget conscious, always looking for a deal and will buy the lowest priced equipment they can find, regardless of performance. They probably play a multitude of 2-piece golf balls or maybe some recycled golf balls and have up to 6 different brands of clubs in their bag...not because they tested them out and are brand agnostic, it's because that particular equipment was the better deal. There's nothing wrong with being budget conscious...they'll probably never buy a new dozen of Pro V1s because they can find a cheaper ball that may or may not perform the way they want to. 

Group 2 pays top dollar because price = performance. Also, nothing wrong with this but they probably pass up some quality equipment simply because it wasn't priced as high as other equipment. Yes, this is prevalent in the golfing industry, especially with the ball market. I think it was srixon that came in $10 less than the Pro V1 when they initially launched their Z Star line and they had a hard time selling it simply because golfers equated the cheaper price to substandard performance. These folks won't buy a $25/dozen ball that performs similarly to a Pro V1 because of the price. 

Group 3 is in between. 

Golf ball manufacturers are marketing to either group 1 or group 2 which probably make up 85-90% of the golfers in this country. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

On 10/16/2019 at 8:46 PM, Tsecor said:

I hear ya. That was on trackman.  On course Teating was a lot closer.   Robinsons On course test showed the trufeel Actually flying further.   So, 1/2 the price and u get the same distance or within 15 feet?? I see the value in that. 

First of all, you are taking a YouTube video of a single human playing 3 holes side by side as fact? Distance differences are more quality of strike than anything. I would not expect to see a big difference in distance for anyone other than extremely fast swing speeds. 

Next, on his first hole, he hits a mid iron from thick rough into the green and both balls landed less than a foot a part. The ProV1 held the green vs TruFeel rolling off the green and into the rough leaving him short sided with a difficult chip vs a putt. For the average golfer, that difference could mean 1-2 strokes. 

If if you watch other videos of similar tests, you find similar full shot spin rates but still struggled with runout on shorter shots with the ionomer covered balls (RS compared both Chromesoft balls vs the Supersoft a while ago and saw very similar  full wedge spin rates on GCQuad but noticeably longer rollout on the course). There will be some human tests showing little difference and some showing a huge difference but there are way too many variables at play to definitively say that this 2-piece ball performs the same as a multilayer urethane ball.

Ultimately, play what works best for your game. If you are hitting a high percentage of GIR and play courses with relatively soft greens, you are probably fine with a 2-piece ionomer ball. However, if you miss a lot of greens and play on firm/fast greens, you may appreciate the urethane cover greenside. 

Lastly, people need to stop using cost as a prohibitive excuse for not playing a multilayer urethane ball. Relative to the past, there are options at very reasonable prices as well as opportunities to stock up on good deals to the point where there is no excuse any longer (I got 5 dozen Srixon ZStars for $7 / dozen at Walmart earlier this year, you just need to keep your eyes peeled).

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W