txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

Our Sponsors

43 minutes ago, jjfcpa said:

This may be the reason I find myself jumping from one ball to another... Snell MTB Black one day, then Vice Pro the next, and then back to the Tour RX.  I'm a firm believer in playing one ball and one ball only.  Definitely need to pick one and stay with it.  At this point, it may be the Bridgestone Tour X or the Oncore Elixir.  The value choice would be the Elixir.

I’m a huge fan of the elixir but I am a Prov1 fan and stick to that. 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

What they should have done is suspended comments for the first couple days till everyone had a chance to digest the information.  This would have kept the traffic down so that some of us, me included, could at least view the information.  As it is, I have not been able to get to the website all day.  Disappointing to say the least.

There were only 2 comments on the actual post when I read it on lunch. So I’m not sure that’s what’s dragging it down. Probably just a lot of people trying to view it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:taylormade-small: M5 10.5 Tensei CK Pro White 60

:ping-small: G30 5 Wood Tour 80

:titelist-small: 818 H1 23* Hybrid CK Blue

:titelist-small: AP2 714 5-GW C-Taper Lite

:vokey-small:  Slate Blue SM7 52.08F, 56.10S, 60.12D w/ Nippon Modus 125

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

What they should have done is suspended comments for the first couple days till everyone had a chance to digest the information.  This would have kept the traffic down so that some of us, me included, could at least view the information.  As it is, I have not been able to get to the website all day.  Disappointing to say the least.

There were only 2 comments on the actual post when I read it on lunch. So I’m not sure that’s what’s dragging it down. Probably just a lot of people trying to view it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:taylormade-small: M5 10.5 Tensei CK Pro White 60

:ping-small: G30 5 Wood Tour 80

:titelist-small: 818 H1 23* Hybrid CK Blue

:titelist-small: AP2 714 5-GW C-Taper Lite

:vokey-small:  Slate Blue SM7 52.08F, 56.10S, 60.12D w/ Nippon Modus 125

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’m a huge fan of the elixir but I am a Prov1 fan and stick to that. 

I got the free sleeve OnCore was sending out - even though the weather has not been the best so far this spring, I really liked the ball.

• Like 1

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 96 mph

Still can’t get to the page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Honma TR20 460, Fujikura Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 17* (playing at 15*), Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: Callaway X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Dynamic Gold X100 

Irons: Srixon Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VC-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S300

Putter: SeeMore Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Looks like they are using AWS (Amazon Web Service) so unless they are not ramping up the bandwidth, I would think it would be able to handle the load.

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Compression matters. Slower speeds don’t compress some tour level balls that well. 

4. Don’t Worry About Compressing The Golf Ball

Let’s tackle one of the most common golf ball myths. Forget what you might have heard, you swing fast enough to compress the core of the golf ball.

Our testing showed that golf balls do not perform differently at different swing speeds – at least not to any significant degree. Balls that are fast at 115 MPH are fast at 85 MPH. The bottom line is that a short ball doesn’t become a long ball when swing speed decreases.

Launch and spin relationships don’t change much either. While there can be exceptions, a ball that’s low spin off the driver, is often low spin off a wedge. Speed doesn’t change that relationship either.

• Like 7

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Can't get to the data either. Oh well, I'll chill and try later or another day. At least the forum is working. 🏌️‍♂️

• Like 2

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Let's see if I can get the quote tags to work properly (edit: nope). This is what I tried to post earlier.

From the ball test:

"Q: Are Direct to Consumer balls as good as those from big golf companies?

A: While some direct to consumer brands produce excellent balls, it’s important to understand that larger brands like Titleist and Bridgestone do have more control over the entire manufacturing process, and there is some evidence to suggest that can lead to a more consistent product. If you’re willing to tolerate a bit more inconsistency from ball to ball, direct to consumer brands can offer tremendous savings."

My comment, last week:

"...the company who controls more aspects of the supply chain/manufacturing should end up with more uniform balls. Where do all these companies get their polymers/rubber? In the case of Bridgestone and Srixon, I would guess they control more of the process just because of the type of business their parent companies are (SRI in Srixon = Sumitomo Rubber Industries) and Bridgestone is the largest tire company in the world. They likely make their raw polymers or have very tight controls on the sources (by virtue of the total volumes the parents may order), whereas others may be dependent on other companies to provide raw polymers or even pre-mixed rubber compounds where how much you pay determines how wide the tolerances are for the material you get.

If my thinking is correct, I would expect Bridgestone and Srixon to have the lowest dispersion..."

I'll take my royalties in the form of equipment, thanks! 😋

EDIT: for some reason, using in-line UBB code quotes is nesting them, even though that is not my intention. This will have to suffice.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Finally got in. Disappointed to see the Duo Professional not tested, but as it's the successor to the Duo Urethane, I'd expect similar results. Now, my page didn't load the tables so I'll have to do some digging, but I see my NY brethren in that second tier with the Elixr, might have to jump on it and support the local guys!

• Like 1

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge:  CB4 Tour 16.5*, Aldila RIP 70-S

:cobra-small: F7 ONE 5-S, UST Recoil 680 F4 in 5 iron, KBS Tour R+ in rest

:cobra-small: KING ONE 60*, KBS Tour FLT 

:nickent-small: Pipe

:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour... For now

:CaddyTek: Caddylite 15.3 V1

Go Orange!

right, I'm in (at last) and loving the detailed analyses. Great job MGS staff. I think this will be a game changer for many.

I can't seem to find out how to access the complete data though to do some personal analysis, am I missing a link?

Before this I was -maybe- going to get more chromesoft as I liked the feel, however I had some long drives at the weekend with a Prov1x and was significantly shorter the next day with a TM TP5. So the advice to stick with one ball is sound, I just didnt know what that might be, until now.

Looks like it's going to be Prov1x going forward.

Thanks MGS 👏

• Like 2

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

23 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

4. Don’t Worry About Compressing The Golf Ball

Let’s tackle one of the most common golf ball myths. Forget what you might have heard, you swing fast enough to compress the core of the golf ball.

Our testing showed that golf balls do not perform differently at different swing speeds – at least not to any significant degree. Balls that are fast at 115 MPH are fast at 85 MPH. The bottom line is that a short ball doesn’t become a long ball when swing speed decreases.

Launch and spin relationships don’t change much either. While there can be exceptions, a ball that’s low spin off the driver, is often low spin off a wedge. Speed doesn’t change that relationship either.

My experience shows it does. When being fit by Bridgestone spin and launch both changed when I went from the b330 rx and rxs to the s.

i along with a buddy of mine messed around with the duo balls a few years ago and they were too soft and went nowhere near the same as prov, b330 s for him and rx for me. 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 hours ago, TSauer said:

I was able to see the post for a second and the page crashed.. looks like Pinnacle Gold took the top spot...

you little trickster you😂

• Like 1

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

4 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

right, I'm in (at last) and loving the detailed analyses. Great job MGS staff. I think this will be a game changer for many.

I can't seem to find out how to access the complete data though to do some personal analysis, am I missing a link?

Before this I was -maybe- going to get more chromesoft as I liked the feel, however I had some long drives at the weekend with a Prov1x and was significantly shorter the next day with a TM TP5. So the advice to stick with one ball is sound, I just didnt know what that might be, until now.

Looks like it's going to be Prov1x going forward.

Thanks MGS 👏

I've gotten to view the text a couple times, but the Tableau tables only displayed properly for me once, now they don't. I was a moron and hit refresh when everything was loaded to see if any good comments were there yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

My experience shows it does. When being fit by Bridgestone spin and launch both changed when I went from the b330 rx and rxs to the s.

i along with a buddy of mine messed around with the duo balls a few years ago and they were too soft and went nowhere near the same as prov, b330 s for him and rx for me. 

I think you might be thinking compression, not compressing. What they found, and I believe are saying is that we all swing fast enough to compress a golf ball, regardless of its compression rating. But those balls with higher compression ratings tend to go further.  That would match you and your buddies findings with the Duo.  

Two different things, similar words 😃

• Like 6

WITB:

Driver:   :ping-small: G400Max, 10.5° Fujikura Ventus 6s

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5°

Hybrids:    :callaway-small: Mavrik 23°

Irons:    :ping-small: i500 5, Nippon NS Pro Modus3 105, stiff

:ping-small: i200 6-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus3 105, stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX2 50°

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy Forged 56°

Putter:   5WoCG8Y.jpgER2 69°lie, 4° loft, 32.75"

34 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Finally got in. Disappointed to see the Duo Professional not tested, but as it's the successor to the Duo Urethane, I'd expect similar results. Now, my page didn't load the tables so I'll have to do some digging, but I see my NY brethren in that second tier with the Elixr, might have to jump on it and support the local guys!

I was hoping the Duos would have scored well, but alas it was not to be.  Probably has something to do with the overall premise of soft = slow.  I wish MGS could have gotten Duo Pro and FG Tour in the mix.

• Like 2

Review posted:  SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 "Tour Spec", Atmos Blue
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3 &5, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide ES 56
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: BXS

Romans 10:9

This was an excellent test. The data is going to take us as much time to consume as it took them to make it, no wonder we had weeks of waiting. Biggest take aways for me:

1. use the same ball
  2. most of that top "tier" of balls, are going to give good consistent results.
  3. my testing that showed the Wilson Duo was 20 yards shorter than the other golf ball I use was pretty spot on. Sorry Wilson. 

I am curious about their suggested ball fitting technique. The Bridgestone method makes the most sense to me, fit for your driver. Finding the ball that gives the best distance/dispersion is the biggest effect on score. Shorter approaches and more fairways / less OB tee shots always made sense to me on how to fit for a ball. 

The recommendation of starting with what putts and chips the best and work back, didn't work in my mind when I read it other places online or saw it in a YouTube video, and it still doesn't make sense to me know. That I think is my only gripe with the entire article. That and editing didn't check a "lowe" instead of "lower" but I make more mistakes than that in one forum comment, so I'll let it slide this time =).

• Like 2

WITB:

Driver:   :ping-small: G400Max, 10.5° Fujikura Ventus 6s

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5°

Hybrids:    :callaway-small: Mavrik 23°

Irons:    :ping-small: i500 5, Nippon NS Pro Modus3 105, stiff

:ping-small: i200 6-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus3 105, stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX2 50°

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy Forged 56°

Putter:   5WoCG8Y.jpgER2 69°lie, 4° loft, 32.75"

10 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

I think you might be thinking compression, not compressing. What they found, and I believe are saying is that we all swing fast enough to compress a golf ball, regardless of its compression rating. But those balls with higher compression ratings tend to go further.  That would match you and your buddies findings with the Duo.  

Two different things, similar words 😃

It's also important to note - as the MGS blog did - that compression ratings are not measured the same across the board for all manufacturers. Some measure total compression while others only measure core compression. MGS measured total compression on all balls tested. Yet another way OEMs confuse the general public for their own gains. Props to MGS for sharing the truth!

• Like 7

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

11 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

I am curious about their suggested ball fitting technique. The Bridgestone method makes the most sense to me, fit for your driver. Finding the ball that gives the best distance/dispersion is the biggest effect on score. Shorter approaches and more fairways / less OB tee shots always made sense to me on how to fit for a ball. 

The recommendation of starting with what putts and chips the best and work back, didn't work in my mind when I read it other places online or saw it in a YouTube video, and it still doesn't make sense to me know. That I think is my only gripe with the entire article. That and editing didn't check a "lowe" instead of "lower" but I make more mistakes than that in one forum comment, so I'll let it slide this time =).

But if you hit that shorter approach and the ball doesn't hold the green, or you can't hit the chip to a make able distance, it doesn't matter. I am a firm believer in everything with golf should be learned/tested from the hole to the tee.

• Like 2

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

48 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

I was waiting on these results to pick my ball for 2019.  I was pleased to see the ELIXR perform so well in the testing and will probably take advantage of their marketing teams incessant efforts to earn my business through promotional $25/dozens 🙂

And like you say, being from WNY, its always nice to support the home team.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index