Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

I am curious to see what the differences are between the major OEM’s “tour type” higher dollar cost ball. My guess is there will be some differences, but overall the differences will be minor, but who knows, there may be some significant surprises in store for some folks who are brand loyal. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I am curious to see what the differences are between the major OEM’s “tour type” higher dollar cost ball. My guess is there will be some differences, but overall the differences will be minor, but who knows, there may be some significant surprises in store for some folks who are brand loyal. 

. Can’t wait to see the results and comments here.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Won’t help. I limit myself to keeping found balls that are top tier from the various manufacturers and won’t change that approach no matter what is reported. I don’t personally find that much difference.

Thats different, he'll find a ball in the woods thats probably been in there for 5 months thats stained up and play that....

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Won’t help. I limit myself to keeping found balls that are top tier from the various manufacturers and won’t change that approach no matter what is reported. I don’t personally find that much difference.

It would make a difference to me if all I play were new balls. But I game lakeballs mainly, so I'm putting more variables into the equation that it won't even matter.

Still dying to know the results, though!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Over the last year, I have gamed quite a few balls to help figure out what I wanted out of a ball. I haven't had the need to buy balls in a while because I tested the MTB Red, won a dozen AVX's, and was given a dozen Tour B RX's during the Bridgestone test. Depending on how my day is going, I never let myself lose more than a sleeve per round (once that happens, I dig in to the decent ones I have found during rounds). The only thing that really stands out to me is I LOVED the MTB Red's around the green and the AVX seemed like it was made for me (although I can't part with $48 /dozen). The Tour B RX is a nice all-around ball for me and right now I'm playing Elixers from the free sleeve.

What's the point? 

It's going to be interesting to see the results of this testing and where these balls (or their successors) end up on the chart. I can't always control my swing or what I am doing to a golf ball, but I also want to know that something weird isn't going to happen just because of natural manufacturing variation, so I'm going to want something with very tight dispersion with the robot hitting them, even it means losing some ball speed to get to an acceptable price point for the number of balls I still lose.

Every year I have the intention of doing as Tony suggests - picking a ball and sticking with it, but something always happens to derail my plans.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I wish they'd hurry up and post the results so I can try out a couple different balls and then stock up the garage with the best one!

I've got the debit card burning up in my hand...someone take my money already! 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I wish they'd hurry up and post the results so I can try out a couple different balls and then stock up the garage with the best one!

I'm with you, man. I'm due for a restock, but I'm gonna hold off until I see these results.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

One thing that I would like to know, and this is probably damn near impossible, is the deviation between one dozen of balls to another from the same manufacturer.

For instance would one dozen of Callaway Chromesoft balls perform better than another dozen Callaway Chromesoft due to tolerances in manufacturing.

I can imagine a core being placed off center in the ball by a few millimeters would cause the ball flight to be offline by more than a few yards.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
Or even one ball from another in the same dozen? I'm wondering if that's going to be the ultimate takeway, that there are good ones and bad ones in each box

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I have four dozen of brand new TP5X sitting in a bag as I wait for the ball test results! I’m digging into my collection of slightly worn balls to keep a supply in my bag at this point. I was thinking about my last two rounds using AVX and I missed some fairways that I didn’t with my higher spinning G400 Max, so I really think that from this aspect alone, I’m going to need a ball to give me more spin off the driver to be straighter. I just want to know if TP5X is the one I need.
Come ON!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 4/7/2019 at 8:11 PM, palvord said:

I can imagine a core being placed off center in the ball by a few millimeters would cause the ball flight to be offline by more than a few yards.

I like this idea. Having worked in manufacturing for a while now, it's definitely possible for some companies to lack the capability to ensure consistent performance. That said, the bigger names likely have this under control. For example, Titliest has been using radiography (x-ray) to verify core placement for nearly a century! 

https://www.titleist.com/company/titleist-story

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Looks like this is going to be the most anticipated blog ever! 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 4/8/2019 at 12:23 PM, Kor.A.Door said:

The fire and brimstone from the brand loyalty crew will be insane. Can you imagine if the "holy grail", the Pro V1 ends up being the shortest or least consistent? Titleist truthers will be leaping up from every corner of the internet tweeting at MGS. I would find it funny, I just don't want the staff to have to deal with it.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

On 4/7/2019 at 3:11 PM, palvord said:

One thing that I would like to know, and this is probably damn near impossible, is the deviation between one dozen of balls to another from the same manufacturer.

For instance would one dozen of Callaway Chromesoft balls perform better than another dozen Callaway Chromesoft due to tolerances in manufacturing.

21 hours ago, gaussman1 said:

Or even one ball from another in the same dozen? I'm wondering if that's going to be the ultimate takeway, that there are good ones and bad ones in each box

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You guys might be in for a treat:

https://twitter.com/GolfSpyT/status/1115672564586745861

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

2 hours ago, newballcoach said:

The fire and brimstone from the brand loyalty crew will be insane. Can you imagine if the "holy grail", the Pro V1 ends up being the shortest or least consistent? Titleist truthers will be leaping up from every corner of the internet tweeting at MGS. I would find it funny, I just don't want the staff to have to deal with it.

Yes, that would be awesome, but having tried most of the top brand golf balls I find that there are subtle differences between each, and the choice comes down to personal preference. So I sort of expect the testing to show the same. It could  be really interesting if the Pro V, TP5, and Chrome softs were middle of the pack in this test. The staff here would need new names if that were the case. This is going to be very interesting in many ways. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Maybe that's why the report hasn't come out yet - they're building a moat around HQ.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

Maybe that's why the report hasn't come out yet - they're building a moat around HQ.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Saw on Twitter that Tony said about 1 to 2 weeks before release.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

So that gives us more time to speculate. I would imagine things like wedge spin are pretty similar. I'm interested to see the data about which balls are less consistent and shorter. I think there are a bunch of us waiting to make spring purchases based on this test!

As far as consistency and tight tolerances go, I would imagine Titleist, Srixon and Bridgestone are up there. Wouldn't surprise me if Callaway and Taylormade were more all over the map. 

No clue how the little guy golf balls will do. I feel like Snell will hold up a bit, as they are kind of the best regarded direct buy ball. Other ones like cut, oncore, vice, etc. who knows. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

One thing to remember is that ball manufacturers share factories, so it would be cool to see if the balls that have issues come from the same factories.

On 4/8/2019 at 2:47 PM, txgolfjunkie said:

I've got the debit card burning up in my hand...someone take my money already! 

I couldn't agree more.  My course has a few demo days coming up this month and they always hand out balls so it would be interesting to see where they stack up.  I have a feeling that Snell may be on top, although I have never tried a Snell ball in my life.  I want to hit a few to see how they feel and spin before I go buy a box or six.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

The new MaxFli Tour balls are supposed to have a line on them showing where the balance point is.  Presumably, this ensures that the ball will rotate without wobble if struck in line with the balance point.  I wonder if Tony could determine if this is really a "thing" or just hype?

Patiently waiting for this to come out. I have been playing a Staff Duo Spin for years but think a “premium” or urethane ball is in my near future. Losing shots due to lack of control from 150 yards and in. Need more spin, especially closer to the green, without losing distance.

Very curious about this one too.. The teaser 10 days ago has made this a hard wait. I'm still working through the 12 dozen KSigs I got last year, I might be writing through them for a couple years to come. So I can't say this will spark immediate action on my purchasing.... But... 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

6 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Very curious about this one too.. The teaser 10 days ago has made this a hard wait. I'm still working through the 12 dozen KSigs I got last year, I might be writing through them for a couple years to come. So I can't say this will spark immediate action on my purchasing.... But... 

I'm all stocked up too. I would only change if my ball is on the low end and I thought it would make a big difference.

Titleist 917 D3 9.5° Diamana D+ 70
Wilson D200 Hybrids 22°, 25°
Callaway Steelhead XR 5-AW
Old Nike Wedges 52°, 56°, 60°
Scotty Cameron Detour
Srixon Z Star

Loaded my bag with the last of the sleeves of Snell MTB (a couple years old), Oncore Elixr, and TM TP5X (last year’s model), so curious to see how they play vs each other. Gonna be pretty wet if I can even get out to play Mon/Tue.

I'm still waiting...😧....it's been 10 days now. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I couldn't wait any longer to restock. Vice had a deal for a free dozen on top of the 5 I usually order. They'll be here Wednesday. Hopefully they fair well enough in the testing to not be a major concern...

any more teasers or is it article time!?  I cannot wait to see what the results of this testing were.

I typically play the Pro V1x, but this time of year I'll try out some of the better balls I've found over the year.

If it's in good shape, feels new, and doesn't look like its sat outside for the whole winter I'll give it a swing.

I currently have: a Snell, a Vice, a Callaway, a Titleist AVX, a Taylormade TP5, and maybe one or two more tour balls to swing.  The Taylormade and Snell felt nice putting the other day.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

I couldn't wait any longer to restock. Vice had a deal for a free dozen on top of the 5 I usually order. They'll be here Wednesday. Hopefully they fair well enough in the testing to not be a major concern...

The Vice Pro and Pro Plus are on my short-list of "premium" balls to test.  Still patiently waiting on the MGS report to come out before ordering anything though.

44 minutes ago, sixcat said:

The Vice Pro and Pro Plus are on my short-list of "premium" balls to test.  Still patiently waiting on the MGS report to come out before ordering anything though.

I've played both before and love them (the Pro a bit more than the Plus). The Snell MTB Black I currently play is a good ball, but it's just not my preferred feel. I ordered 3 dozen in white and 3 dozen in the neon red - interested in trying a hi-viz option as I often have trouble tracking the ball through the air. I got an email this morning that FedEx will be delivering today! 🙂