txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

7 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I've made an initial pass through the 2019 Golf Ball Buyers Guide. Very impressive and detailed I thought. I know the MGS staff must have put in many long hours to pull this off.  I was surprised by the Callaway showing. Not surprising that PV1 and PV1x are in the Excellent category. 

For my game I think most any ball from Excellent to Very Good will play without much difference day to day. Even a few Good ranked balls such as MG-C4, K-Sig play well I've found. Scored some of my best rounds ever with these Good balls. One point I'll make and have done so before is that; Tour Pros don't have some mysterious 6th sense that us lowly amateurs are missing. It's been written many times how Pros just know or can "feel" minuscule differences in a ball for example where people like us simply can't. Hog wash. The difference is they have an army of folks who micro manage ever detail of their game and equipment. Including making sure the balls they put in play are as close to perfect as humanly possible. The rest of us get the culls. LOL

I think there are many cases where an expert in some area can pick up on nuances that you or I would never recognize, whether it be some imperceivable sound to a musician or a few cotton balls of extra weight on Tiger's driver.

I don't think the army of people results in perfect equipment for the pros.  I think the ability of a pro to pick up on those tiny things requires an army to get it right.  Maybe not for every tour pro, but the elite ones, yes.  (Plus the equipment manufacturers better keep these guys happy or their tour staff will find a company that will.)  

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... That is the way I read your post. 👍  Others, or as I called them the conspiracy theorists, may wanna make much ado about nothing.  Bummer you can't get the Maxfli's in Canada. Canadian's certainly do love their golf! I played as a single most everyday here in Phoenix this winter and my guess is 60% of the people I have paired up with are from Canada. Played with a nice lady from Ontario today that played in college and she was a real treat to watch. 

I am actually baffled at the compliment to troll ratio in the comments of this report.  It has to be higher than any other Most Wanted test I have read in the last few years.  There are a lot of great questions, great answers, and most of the complaints (if you even call them that) are wishing another ball was tested.  

If the conspiracy theorists can't even find something to gripe about, the guys at HQ must have really knocked this one out of the park.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the results.  The shot area spread for driver and 7 iron for the high swing speed is beyond what I ever would have imagined.  I tried the epsom salt test for some balls this winter.  I would dunk one and mark the top with a marker and redo it several times.  Some of the Snell's weren't that repeatable which I took as a good sign.  Some Ram's (don't ask how those made it in this house) would pop that same dot up right to the top in a few seconds and repeat over and over.  These are the balls I can see soaring off to the next fairway.  I expected Tony's teaser about huge dispersion to all turn out to be some strange brands we never heard of.  Just about all the big guys have at least one ball with pretty bad dispersion.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, wipierce said:

I supposed that makes sense. I didn't give it that much thought. My swing speed is around 108 mph so that is not to much of a concern for myself. However I'll remember this data the next time my two boys need balls.

Imo ss is only one piece of the compression puzzle. Strike location. Aoa, face and path also influence 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Matt, I don’t know if you saw my post on the MTB X, but in my review of it, I said I like the X off the tee and on the green, but prefer the black for everything in between. So I feel the same way as you, let’s combine them. I have been using the MTB X for the last few rounds just to give it a really good effort with it. I do like it. After this ball testing I will stick with the X, and then use the Black during the winter months as it is softer, but with the cold temps it will feel firmer. 

Thanks mate! I'm going to do the same sort of testing and see what happens but I'll wait until the 15th to order when they have the yellow back in stock.

• Like 1

Overall I really enjoyed reading the test and seeing the results.  Only thing I would have liked to see was an additional set of data for 95 MPH.  

• Like 1

Here's the beauty of this test... There is no one winner. I think this is the first time MGS has given us test results and really challenged us to sift through everything and make our own determination. I've been racking my brain for three days now trying to find ways to label the best ball for me and frankly there's about 6 that would perform well for my game. What works for me doesn't work for you and Vice versa. That's the amazing thing about this comprehensive test. I'm playing golf today at lunch time and the whole time I'll be thinking if that double cross duck hook drive OB was my swing or the golf ball itself.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Matt, I don’t know if you saw my post on the MTB X, but in my review of it, I said I like the X off the tee and on the green, but prefer the black for everything in between. So I feel the same way as you, let’s combine them. I have been using the MTB X for the last few rounds just to give it a really good effort with it. I do like it. After this ball testing I will stick with the X, and then use the Black during the winter months as it is softer, but with the cold temps it will feel firmer. 

This is exactly why I chose the TP5x for my gamer this year.  Low spin off the driver, mid spinning of most of the irons and high spin off wedges and around the greens.  Would love to see the "black" longer off the tee, and spin a little more on full wedges and around the greens.  

• Like 2

The end result is that we now have another excuse for hitting a ball into the woods....or being 8 yards offline on a 7 iron shot.

"My ball has to be irregular"

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Hey @txgolfjunkie, thanks for keeping this thread going for all of us. Also, a happiest of birthdays.

• Like 2

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Facebook Live at 1:00 PM Adam will be talking about the Ball Testing!! Be sure to tune in if you can!

• Like 4

so, I tried a sleeve of Pro V1X yesterday. 

"I'm impressed!" a woman said as I left the pro shop counter. 

"at what?"  The salesman asked. 

"that he only needs one sleeve of balls"

... In front of 9th green, I fish out what appeared to be my ball from the pond, the last of the 3.  It wasn't. 

(the first of the 3 went into that very pond from the 2nd tee)  🤣

Conclusion:  they love to swim... straight to the bottom.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

... Lots of great info that really just backs up my non test findings. Thru trial and error TP5x is my ball and I like the new Maxfli Tour as a backup. The test just confirms my choice, which is nice to read. Also good to see the Cut balls revealed for what they are. Cheap balls that either have serious QC issues or severely cut (pun intended) with one wedge shot. 

• Like 2

MTB x for summer time, MTB black for winter is my plan for this season. 

• Like 2

MTB x for summer time, MTB black for winter is my plan for this season. 
If you can find them to purchase! I'm striking out on a lot of sites finding them. It's a good thought on them.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wipierce said:

If you can find them to purchase! I'm striking out on a lot of sites finding them. It's a good thought on them.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

They are on backorder til the 15th

• Like 1

Doing more reading, I'm a bit torn now. Since I'm a tweener in terms of swing speed, I'm now leaning towards giving the Pro V1X a serious go. Overall I think the MTB Black is a good ball and not a bad choice for my game, and the price is definitely right. But I want to play what performs best overall so I'm going to have to do some tee to green testing to figure out what works best for me.  

• Like 2

Doing more reading, I'm a bit torn now. Since I'm a tweener in terms of swing speed, I'm now leaning towards giving the Pro V1X a serious go. Overall I think the MTB Black is a good ball and not a bad choice for my game, and the price is definitely right. But I want to play what performs best overall so I'm going to have to do some tee to green testing to figure out what works best for me.  

I’ve been playing the Pro V1X for a few years
Now. I think the sale is over, but every spring they do a buy 3 get 1 free dozen with free personalization. I find it to be a good deal, and I end up ordering every other year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, mr.hicksta said:

So as I was perusing the comments in the article I caught this from Tony...

Regarding quality and consistency, there’s plenty left to be learned and I have about 25 ideas for the next ball test, but in general – and taking cost entirely out of the conversation – I’d personally be more inclined to play Titleist or Bridgestone. No brand is spotless, and I think any honest ball guy would probably tell you that every now and again a bad ball sneaks past a QC check. That being said, there are realities that *could* impact the consistency of the ball.

Bridgestone and Titleist own their factories and make their own material (rubber).
Callaway has its own factory, but to the best of my knowledge does not make the material.
TaylorMade has a factory in the USA, but they use it only to put the cover on the balls.

Beyond that, most everything else is at least partially outsourced. Many of the smaller brands are a step further removed from the process in that they’ve played minimal to no role in the design but instead have purchased and branded a white label factory ball. That’s not to say performance can’t be exceptional and that consistency can’t be good. As I think I’ve said previously in this section, I personally wouldn’t play a ball from a brand for which nobody at the company owns a patent in the ball space.

Hard to argue with the logic here when you control the entire manufacturing process....but some of these golf balls can get very very expensive!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mr.hicksta said:

1x is a great ball. Compared to the v1 I noticed offline shots are slightly worse with 1x which is mostly from the spin differences between the two versions. I haven’t had a chan e to put either of the 2019 versions into play yet to see what’s changed

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

So as I was perusing the comments in the article I caught this from Tony...

Regarding quality and consistency, there’s plenty left to be learned and I have about 25 ideas for the next ball test, but in general – and taking cost entirely out of the conversation – I’d personally be more inclined to play Titleist or Bridgestone. No brand is spotless, and I think any honest ball guy would probably tell you that every now and again a bad ball sneaks past a QC check. That being said, there are realities that *could* impact the consistency of the ball.

Bridgestone and Titleist own their factories and make their own material (rubber).
Callaway has its own factory, but to the best of my knowledge does not make the material.
TaylorMade has a factory in the USA, but they use it only to put the cover on the balls.

Beyond that, most everything else is at least partially outsourced. Many of the smaller brands are a step further removed from the process in that they’ve played minimal to no role in the design but instead have purchased and branded a white label factory ball. That’s not to say performance can’t be exceptional and that consistency can’t be good. As I think I’ve said previously in this section, I personally wouldn’t play a ball from a brand for which nobody at the company owns a patent in the ball space.

Hard to argue with the logic here when you control the entire manufacturing process....but some of these golf balls can get very very expensive!

I guess someone should have asked Tony if this own your own factory includes Srixon since they are owned by a rubber company, but he would know better than all of us and would have put it there if they did.