Jump to content

MGS Golf Ball Test


Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

    • Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
      11
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
      1
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
      0
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
      0
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
      0
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
      11
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
      4
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
      8
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
      15
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
      5
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
      0
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
      0
    • Other
      1

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

13 hours ago, jlukes said:

Sticking with my zstar xv 

Ditto.  Day to day, this is the best all around ball for my game that I've ever played in my life, especially with the 2019 update.  It gives me everything I need in a golf ball.

  • Like 2
  • TaylorMade SIM2 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15 - PX HZRDUS Green 80 6.5 TX
  • Adams Red 18 - Matrix Altus Tour X
  • Callaway XForged UT 21 (19*) - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z965 4-P - PX 6.0 LS (hs 1x)
  • Vokey SM8 52.08 F / SM6 58.14 K - TI DG 400
  • Scotty Cameron X7 Phantom 34”
  • Bridgestone B XS
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know if many of you follow Tony (@GolfSpyT) on twitter but he's been blowing it up with the golf ball test. Needless to say, this test is going to really help in golf ball selection and prove

I’m glad I traveled to Dallas today. If my wife knew I spent the day looking at balls, reading about balls and talking to dudes about balls she’d leave me. Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

A few more #finditxrayit Titleist Pro V1 Callaway Chrome Soft   Titleist Velocity Wilson Duo Soft Titleist Pro V1X   Found m

Posted Images

Damn, now I have to wait until 5pm!  Nice touch for Dean Snell to include a handwritten and signed "thank you" in the package.

Snell.jpg.4438897b736358ed1ce298cd51ba8ad1.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Apolloshowl said:

Oncore elixir is a ball that seemed to do well in a lot of areas or at least be pretty decent, but not get mentioned too much. 

Big thanks and appreciation to MGS and crew who did this whole test. A ton of info and going to definitely help a lot of golfers.

Now to try and wait and see how many shops introduce ball fittings into their stores. 

I noticed this and, in fact, in my only comparison, it looks like the perfect fit for me... so I ordered some using their promotional $ 25 a dozen price.  They arrive on Friday (tomorrow) and I'll be using them on Saturday.  I'll let you know how they compare to my current gamer Bridgestone Tour B RX.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Trying to get some background on Srixon since they are one of the balls I'm interested.

It's never easy...
Looks like Dunlop owns Srixon.
Their mfg plant is in Japan - https://www.dunlopsports.co.jp/en/products/sports/ichijima.html
Dunlop owns Sumitomo Rubber co. and that's used in both the golf and tennis balls - https://www.dunlopsports.co.jp/en/company/profile/index.html

I'm sure I could go further down the rabbit hole, but I'm personally interested in a ball where the company controls the core component - the rubber on the inside - and it looks Srixon is one of those.

Does qc and process matter for your choice?

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Don't know if the current model, but I just got an email from Hurricane Golf... TP5 and TP5X balls for $29.99

That’s the previous model 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

@Golfspy_CG2 @GolfSpy MBP I currently play the Taylormade Project(a) ball (b/c i got them free). Though it was not tested in the report, the TM site and articles say it is a compression of 70... that would make it the softest ball out there. HORRIBLE. That would be below the Callaway ERC Soft. Am I right? Do you all have any data that may give better #'s on the compression? Or how can i get a true compression #? thanks

If you look at the results table, you will find on the far right the average compression...but then click on the std dev table and look at the compression std dev...it's eye opening. For example, the Vice Pro Plus has an avg compression of 103 but std dev of 6.18. That means that within the test, there was a fairly wide range of compression rates for the same ball i.e. manufacturing and quality control deficiencies. Meanwhile, the Srixon Z Star showed an average compression of 101 and every ball in the test had a rating very close to the average. 

  • Like 1
  • :taylormade-small: SIM 10.5* w/ Kyoshi Black 65X tipped 1/2" 
  • :cobra-small: F7+ 3W 14.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
  • :srixon-small: ZX Utility 18* w/ Project X 6.5
  • :callaway-small: X Forged 21* w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :mizuno-small: 921 SEL 5-PW w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54* & 58* w/ AWT 2.0 
  • Toulon Vegas H7 w/ SS Flatso 2.0r
  • '20 :bridgestone-small: Tour B X
  • I'm left-handed so I don't go broke buying all new clubs every week. 
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Does qc and process matter for your choice?

--yep; and if you produce the raw materials you have much more control over the quality (in theory); if you outsource and get an order of 600,000 rubber balls as your core and then add the layers on top how do you ensure that the quality of those cores is acceptable and within the tolerance limitations?  And what do you do if they're not, send back 100,000?...nah.
I like a company that controls the entire process from the idea to the shelf.

 

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | SC Newport 3

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, lungbuster said:

Ditto.  Day to day, this is the best all around ball for my game that I've ever played in my life, especially with the 2019 update.  It gives me everything I need in a golf ball.

Bang for your buck, where I live in Canada, you can't touch Srixon pricewise.  15 bucks cheaper than Titliest a box, 10 bucks less than Bridgestone, and with shipping, a wash with Snell Balls.  So cost effective, and an absolutely amazing ball performance wise.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, txgolfjunkie said:

If you look at the results table, you will find on the far right the average compression...but then click on the std dev table and look at the compression std dev...it's eye opening. For example, the Vice Pro Plus has an avg compression of 103 but std dev of 6.18. That means that within the test, there was a fairly wide range of compression rates for the same ball i.e. manufacturing and quality control deficiencies. Meanwhile, the Srixon Z Star showed an average compression of 101 and every ball in the test had a rating very close to the average. 

Srixon owns the factory, produces the rubber, and covers the ball - all at the same place; I would expect that their QC deficiencies would be much smaller.  You may not get the best of the best of the best but an excellent ball that is consistent is right up there.

BTW: not sure if you caught this on the video yesterday but Tony said something along the lines of "it's better to play a bad ball that is consistent than a "good" ball that isn't"

  • Like 1

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | SC Newport 3

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Srixon owns the factory, produces the rubber, and covers the ball - all at the same place; I would expect that their QC deficiencies would be much smaller.  You may not get the best of the best of the best but an excellent ball that is consistent is right up there.

BTW: not sure if you caught this on the video yesterday but Tony said something along the lines of "it's better to play a bad ball that is consistent than a "good" ball that isn't"

Nice reference!!

 

  • Haha 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Trying to get some background on Srixon since they are one of the balls I'm interested.

It's never easy...
Looks like Dunlop owns Srixon.
Their mfg plant is in Japan - https://www.dunlopsports.co.jp/en/products/sports/ichijima.html
Dunlop owns Sumitomo Rubber co. and that's used in both the golf and tennis balls - https://www.dunlopsports.co.jp/en/company/profile/index.html

I'm sure I could go further down the rabbit hole, but I'm personally interested in a ball where the company controls the core component - the rubber on the inside - and it looks Srixon is one of those.

I think you have it backwards - as far as I know Sumitomo purchased Dunlop Sports Industries not that long ago, although they've had a business relationship for tires for a long time and have owned portions of the Dunlop Tire brand for 30+ years.

I do absolutely agree with your assessment that the companies that control more of the supply chain should end up with a more consistent product - last week I suggested Bridgestone and Srixon should be among the best in this regard. Admittedly, at that time, I was not aware of how much of the process Titleist, Callaway, and Taylor Made controlled. Now I do thanks to Tony's statements and some of the comments in this thread.

  • Like 1

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

Link to post
Share on other sites

Titleist and Bridgestone have their plants for tour balls in the US so that’s another bonus

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

I think you have it backwards - as far as I know Sumitomo purchased Dunlop Sports Industries not that long ago, although they've had a business relationship for tires for a long time and have owned portions of the Dunlop Tire brand for 30+ years.

I do absolutely agree with your assessment that the companies that control more of the supply chain should end up with a more consistent product - last week I suggested Bridgestone and Srixon should be among the best in this regard. Admittedly, at that time, I was not aware of how much of the process Titleist, Callaway, and Taylor Made controlled. Now I do thanks to Tony's statements and some of the comments in this thread.

Yeah... who bought who is further down the rabbit hole than I wanted to go.

I just care that they make all the materials in the supply chain and don't outsource any of it.

somewhat surprised that Callaway doesn't....

  • Like 2

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | SC Newport 3

Link to post
Share on other sites

What implications does the test have on the used golf ball market? I almost always buy my supply off balls off Lost Golf Balls, but now I am really considering avoiding them and just ponying up the $$ for new balls. If brand new stuff can randomly fly 10 yards off line due to out of round, bad dimples, etc... then there's just no way a used ball, whether it's been hit 40 times before and cleaned up or it sat in a lake for 3 days, can be better than brand new.

I really wonder how many shots that has cost me over the past few seasons.

 

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, z1ggy16 said:

What implications does the test have on the used golf ball market? I almost always buy my supply off balls off Lost Golf Balls, but now I am really considering avoiding them and just ponying up the $$ for new balls. If brand new stuff can randomly fly 10 yards off line due to out of round, bad dimples, etc... then there's just no way a used ball, whether it's been hit 40 times before and cleaned up or it sat in a lake for 3 days, can be better than brand new.

I really wonder how many shots that has cost me over the past few seasons.

 

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Yeah - I'm with you on that one.  I have a friend who walks his dogs on a private course and 'collects' balls for me; I have no clue how old they are and am no longer sure if it's wise to use them.

I realize that they had to end the test at some point and I think they're looking at how they can add/change things for the next time they do it but it would have been kinda cool to take their top performers and compare them to those same balls that you can buy from used sites like LGB to see what differences there may be.

Maybe next time...

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | SC Newport 3

Link to post
Share on other sites
What ball would you play if you were in the 90 mph range with a  driver?
 

I swing about 90 mph and the Snell MTB X is the longest ball for me. I’ve played the Black for years and love that ball, but the MTB X is even better. Good luck!


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Yeah - I'm with you on that one.  I have a friend who walks his dogs on a private course and 'collects' balls for me; I have no clue how old they are and am no longer sure if it's wise to use them.

I realize that they had to end the test at some point and I think they're looking at how they can add/change things for the next time they do it but it would have been kinda cool to take their top performers and compare them to those same balls that you can buy from used sites like LGB to see what differences there may be.

Maybe next time...

Would love for MGS to do this. Take the top 5 performers from this test then blind buy those balls used off LGB (could leave them unnamed just in case the results are very bad) and repeat.

 

I would suspect at the very least, a high sigma in compression.

 

A longer term but personal test I may run now is play my used stuff for another month then switch to brand new ProV1x's for 2-3 months and see if my scores drop at all.

 

I also used to play balls til they looked like hell (again, being cheap). Now as soon as I see a single cut, I'm taking it out of play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Yeah - I'm with you on that one.  I have a friend who walks his dogs on a private course and 'collects' balls for me; I have no clue how old they are and am no longer sure if it's wise to use them.

I realize that they had to end the test at some point and I think they're looking at how they can add/change things for the next time they do it but it would have been kinda cool to take their top performers and compare them to those same balls that you can buy from used sites like LGB to see what differences there may be.

Maybe next time...

 

... Just waaaaaaaaay too many variables with a "used" ball. Did it sit at the bottom of a lake, river or steam? Did the previous player keep them in the garage with sub zero or 100+ temps? Did it bounce off a tree, several times? And of course since it is lost, maybe it was out of spec to begin with. 😳  With so many excellent new balls for sale at sub $30 prices it just seems like a no brainer to buy new. Especially last years balls that work just as well this year as they did last year. 

  • Like 5

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

Link to post
Share on other sites

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | SC Newport 3

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...