txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

Just now, forerightgolfer said:

Seeing this and hearing the HQ guys talk about fitting a ball to the irons and a driver to the ball.... where do I go to get a golf ball fitting?

Look at the manufacturers websites those that do ball fittings will have them listed most of the time. TM, Srixon and Titleist all have in person ball fittings and Bridgestone does it will

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bens197 said:

Bought 3 dozen of Elixr

As did I.  At $ 25 a dozen, I couldn't go wrong.  Special promotion.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Probably not much. The avg Joe weekend golfer isn’t reading this study and making decisions based on it.

as for shots you would need to do a side by side comparison for several rounds.

Anything in the top two categories. Test several on the course on the same day to see what works best for you

Well, I tried the Tour B X and it feels a little too firm for me.  Played the Vice Pro today and it felt and played very well.  Unfortunately, the driver was not working for me, but everything else seemed pretty good.

• Like 1

All,

Who doesn't love numbers and  theory crafting which ball might be amazing?! I think I have already dropped 3 strokes off my score just reading this article. 

So, I took a not so random collection of the balls from this test, 18 of them in total. And played with Excel today to calculate, weight and score them based on my preferences. Since I'm just over 100mph ss I averaged out all data for that speed. I'll attached a Google Docs link for anyone who really wants to dig through what I did, and how I weighted categories, and which categories I decided mattered to me.

Wow, some huge surprises and some expected results. If you want more particulars, checkout the doc or let me know, but as to not bore the rest of you.

Top 5 balls with no significant difference between them: V1x, Vice Pro, Bridgestone B XS, Mizuno RB Tour X(!), TaylorMade TP5

Worst 5: Bridgestone B RX, ChromeSoft, Maxfli Tour, TaylorMade TP5X, and I added the Tour Soft as a throw in, it was the worst. 

All said and done, I'll probably switch to the Vice Pro after my current ball pool is diminished. I do have a few dozen 4 Piece KSigs still, and a collection of MTB X. Those will all be fine, but when I get through all them. The Vice Pro and the B XS have me the most intrigued. And the price of the Vice Pro is a significant plus. 

I was surprised that the TP5 was one of the best, and the TP5x was only better than the only Surlyn ball in the test group. 

MGS Ball Test 100 MPH swing speed Google Doc

Side note, Blue cells are 1 Std Dev better than average, green is better than average, Yellow is worse than average, Red is 1 Std Dev worse than average. 

Cheers all. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I've been playing the TP5x exclusively for a few months now and have a decent grasp of the performance I get out of it. I still have 3 dozen left but the way I've been playing, that might not last very long. Maybe we should all post testing results of the balls we're trying due to the 2019 Buyer's Guide data?
  • Your gamer ball and SS
  • Ball you chose to test against your gamer
  • What you are looking for from a ball that you weren't getting
  • What the raw data suggested you should expect from the new ball (i.e. more launch, less spin, etc.) and maybe how you extracted the data to apply to yourself? Especially if you are a tweener like (probably) most of us are.
  • Was it true?

I have four dozen....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I've been playing the TP5x exclusively for a few months now and have a decent grasp of the performance I get out of it. I still have 3 dozen left but the way I've been playing, that might not last very long. Maybe we should all post testing results of the balls we're trying due to the 2019 Buyer's Guide data?
  • Your gamer ball and SS
  • Ball you chose to test against your gamer
  • What you are looking for from a ball that you weren't getting
  • What the raw data suggested you should expect from the new ball (i.e. more launch, less spin, etc.) and maybe how you extracted the data to apply to yourself? Especially if you are a tweener like (probably) most of us are.
  • Was it true?

Are you seeing an issue with accuracy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

All,

Who doesn't love numbers and  theory crafting which ball might be amazing?! I think I have already dropped 3 strokes off my score just reading this article. 

So, I took a not so random collection of the balls from this test, 18 of them in total. And played with Excel today to calculate, weight and score them based on my preferences. Since I'm just over 100mph ss I averaged out all data for that speed. I'll attached a Google Docs link for anyone who really wants to dig through what I did, and how I weighted categories, and which categories I decided mattered to me.

Wow, some huge surprises and some expected results. If you want more particulars, checkout the doc or let me know, but as to not bore the rest of you.

Top 5 balls with no significant difference between them: V1x, Vice Pro, Bridgestone B XS, Mizuno RB Tour X(!), TaylorMade TP5

Worst 5: Bridgestone B RX, ChromeSoft, Maxfli Tour, TaylorMade TP5X, and I added the Tour Soft as a throw in, it was the worst. 

All said and done, I'll probably switch to the Vice Pro after my current ball pool is diminished. I do have a few dozen 4 Piece KSigs still, and a collection of MTB X. Those will all be fine, but when I get through all them. The Vice Pro and the B XS have me the most intrigued. And the price of the Vice Pro is a significant plus. 

I was surprised that the TP5 was one of the best, and the TP5x was only better than the only Surlyn ball in the test group. 

MGS Ball Test 100 MPH swing speed Google Doc

Side note, Blue cells are 1 Std Dev better than average, green is better than average, Yellow is worse than average, Red is 1 Std Dev worse than average. 

Cheers all. 

Looks like we had very similar weighting and metrics we were after. I also ended up going Vice Pro. The Bridgestone XS came out on top for me, but when factoring price the Vice Pro was just too good.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My head is spinning with all the numbers, data and input from everyone. I have no desire to sift through the mountain of info and opinions about golf balls. At the end of the day, I believe there probably is some difference in them. I believe what MGS has found in the testing. However... I don't think I care that much.

I will just continue to use the ball I'm using (TP5 X at the moment). If I decide to go back to Pro V1's.... I will, and not worry or fret over any tiny little whit of "what might be if" I played this ball over that ball. At 59 years of age.... closer to 60, I don't think the ball really matters that much to my success in the game. If you just play a decent ball (all of the major players), I really don't think you can go wrong.

I do appreciate the effort that MGS put into this. It was quite enlightening.... especially the light shined on the soft vs. firm balls.

Edited by silver & black
  • Like 3

If anyone wants a copy of my live spreadsheet for the 115mph swing speed, here's a screen shot of what it looks like. You just input your own weighting between the driver, 7 iron and wedge and then select your priorities in golf ball characteristics:

196754009_BallData.PNG.ec9a70b2653a58b38b56608772db6bc4.PNG

Once you update your desires in a golf ball, it automatically pulls the new rating and you can sort by the total column to get your new top choice. Just DM me your email address and I'll send you a copy. 

Here's an example of the backup data which goes off pure ranking. There are a few categories where there's not much difference between the best and worst, and you can just adjust your ball characteristics accordingly, like on wedge ball speed where there was maybe a 1.5 mph difference between the fastest and slowest. 

340744796_balldata2.PNG.97e0f0c73a0418df879619570cd8655c.PNG

• Like 5
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

If anyone wants a copy of my live spreadsheet for the 115mph swing speed, here's a screen shot of what it looks like. You just input your own weighting between the driver, 7 iron and wedge and then select your priorities in golf ball characteristics:

Once you update your desires in a golf ball, it automatically pulls the new rating and you can sort by the total column to get your new top choice. Just DM me your email address and I'll send you a copy. 

Here's an example of the backup data which goes off pure ranking. There are a few categories where there's not much difference between the best and worst, and you can just adjust your ball characteristics accordingly, like on wedge ball speed where there was maybe a 1.5 mph difference between the fastest and slowest. 

So basically I can manipulate this data to make what ever Ball I prefer to be #1. How else are you going to show the Cut Blue as the number 1 in your example. He only way this works is if you run the test blind. Give a value to each ball name. Then move the ball name to a different sheet. Out in the numbers you want, and let the spreadsheet find your ball, which will a value, then go check the sheet to see which ball was chosen. If you can see the ball name, you can manipulate any of the numbers to show whatever you want. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, txgolfjunkie said:

Yeah, throw it in a google doc please?

15 hours ago, sixcat said:

I will report back with what I find but it wont be until I have confidently made a decision.  As I stated earlier, if I can't distinguish between the MTB-X and a higher priced ball, why pay the higher price?  But if the MTB-X flies all over the place, I wont hesitate to say so.

For the record, check out Dennis Paulson's Twitter feed from the past couple days referring to the MTB-X.  He posted a number of times in recent days referring to the MGS test results and giving his unconditional support for the MTB-X.  If a former Tour player can't find fault with the MTB-X, I'm not expecting to myself.

In regards to @yungkory Driver swing speed is ~113 with an average carry distance of 270.  Current gamer has been the Staff Duo Spin for a couple of years.  Will be testing against MTB-X, Tour B X and Pro V1x.  I need more spin and control from 150 yards and in, especially 50 yards and in.  The data suggests I need to play a low spin ball with the driver with higher spin off the wedges, hence the choices I have made.  Also, the GM at my club (who I trust implicitly) helped me come to my decision. He has been begging me to ditch the Staff Duo Spin for two years.  We played yesterday afternoon together where I used the Tour B X.  I also buy into what the MGS guys suggested yesterday during the live chat.  Softer balls actually benefit players with higher swing speeds rather than the players they are marketed toward.  I guess that's why I didn't see a massive loss in distance with the Staff Duo Spin.  But it is still junk around the greens.

My kids are teenagers and self-sufficient.  I have the time to play more golf, therefore my game is rounding back into a familiar form to the mid 00's.  Especially now that my daughter plays on the middle school golf team.  I literally play every day it isn't storming.    

A few early observations after playing 18 yesterday afternoon with the MTB-X.  Conditions were 75 degrees, clear with a >2 mile per hour wind.  It was as calm as it gets in Appalachia!  My home club for anyone interested.  http://www.blueridgegolf.net/course-tour.htm  Don't let the distance fool you.  There is at least a 200 foot change in elevation from east to west on the golf course with every green but a few elevated at least 8 feet.  It plays longer than 6,164.  

All three balls are ridiculously similar.  The MTB-X is 3-5 yards longer with the driver (a solid 10+ yards longer than the Staff Duo Spin I have been playing).  The Tour B X and Pro V1x are a yard or two longer with irons.  All three "hop and stop" quite nicely on our slick, bent-grass greens.  I haven't found an instance yet where the ball was more than a couple feet from the pitch mark and none have spun backward, which is something I do not want given where I play most of my golf.  From around the green, they are indistinguishable with the exception of the MTB-X being ever so slightly more firm.  From 50 yards and in, I would venture a guess, I could cover every ball I've played this week with a bath towel if the holes had all been cut in the same location. 

With that said, I'm going to try to explain this without having it go off the rails!  The MTB-X is firmer with every club in the bag and more pronounced the closer you get to the putting surface.  It's noticeable but not in a bad way.  Please let that be clear.  It has a "full" feeling that I am struggling to articulate.  Most balls (at least to me) feel like they interact with the club-face in an area the size of my thumbnail.  The MTB-X feels like it engulfs the club-face at impact and I kinda like it!  It's the only ball I have played that felt this way other than the Hogan Apex from the early 2000's, which is quite possibly my favorite ball of all time. 

I only played one MTB-X ball and have absolutely nothing negative to report about it.  Especially from a dispersion or irregularity standpoint.  I hit every fairway with the exception of #5.  I'm still adjusting to the distances the ball was traveling. I'm simply not used to having wedges into some of these greens.  A few notable shots from today.  The 15 yard bunker shot on #3 skidded once, bit and stopped two feet from the cup.  The drive on #14 reached the top of the slope almost exactly where the photographer was standing in image #1 on the "Course Tour" section of the above link.  I had a 7-iron second shot into a 500 yard par 5 with the first 250 yards playing significantly uphill.

Choices, choices!

• Like 1

The MGS guys have a little competition.  

• Like 4

Just played a round with Bridgestone Tour B X.  Prior, I played Snell Red last season (lots of spin, suspect in wind or off driver at times) and was testing MTB-x and Black.  Prior to that, Chrome Soft. 

During 'off' season time, I admit that I play a wide variety of found balls, but usually all in the premium category.

I am a 6-9 handicapper, 95mph driver SS, solid all around game.  I don't care so much about ball costs.  

First, I would echo the previous posters comment about the firm feeling of the Snell MTB-X, not as noticeable on woods, irons, but yes on the putter.  After a round or two with it - I actually preferred that feel (had preferred a softer ball in the past) off the putter...it felt 'brighter', found that I had less 'dead' putts.  I was ready to make MTB-X my ball for this season.

Anyhow - the Bridgestone Tour B X.  Wow.  It did everything very well, found no weaknesses.  The most noticeable thing for me was how incredibly well the ball held its line.  Slight push/pull is on me, but the ball still (noticeably better than past balls I have played) held its line very well.  I hit more dead straight ropes than I had in a long time, more frequent 'as long as I hit drives' in a long time.  Overall distance off driver or other clubs was what I would expect (not getting everyone's +10 yards).  VS my past balls, I felt that I got slightly more height off of good drivers and longer iron shots.  Balls checked up predictably as my good approaches normally hit and go forward 3"-12".  Felt fine off the putter.  When I putted the MTB-X vs the Tour BX back to back - I did prefer the MTB-X feel, the Bridgestone felt heavier.  But playing a normal round, not doing a back to back test - the Tour BX felt fine.

Your mileage may vary, but the straightness of the Tour BX really impressed me and it does everything else very very well.  May try the Tour BXS for kicks - but I am converting to Bridgestone.  Would have never tried them if not for the MGS test results.  And I am done playing found balls (except in the winter)

• Like 4

There are some really clever and smart members out here!  Exciting to see what everyone has been able to do with the data.

One thing to keep in mind though -

just like all of the tests that the fine folks at MGS do in the lab -- most wanted driver, putter, etc. -- it's only a starting point. One person may do better with the TP5x and one may find the MTB-X to be the best; just like one person may have success with the g410 and one may have better luck with the f9.  

It's awesome to have a starting point where we can all go explore and try it for ourselves rather than just grabbing something out of the bag.

Hopefully everyone can use the incredible amount of data and info to find the best ball for their game and shoot better scores!

If you're like me the golf ball is the last thing I would have thought of when determining why things "weren't going so well".... 

Fairways and greens!! 🍻

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

it's only a starting point. One person may do better with the TP5x and one may find the MTB-X to be the best;

exactly- good point.

I tried the TP5x and found it to be a rock, now I find prov1 short but the prov1x longer, spins well off irons and still looks new after a round. I still like Bridgestone apart from the look of the dimples, but I might persevere testing against the prov1x to get the ball I should stick with, as recommended by the MGS testing. No more grabbing whatever was the cleanest in the bag on the first tee lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yungkory said:

Yeah, throw it in a google doc please?

Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mY7707rVVaGCxLUSlYsiLOKXsO3FX7ka8LWkSUDHCXE/edit?usp=sharing

Just adjust your club weighting to equal 100% and then rate the ball characteristics for each club (0-4, 0 being least important, 4 being most important) and it will recalculate the rating. Sort by the total column to get new ranking.

• Like 2

So basically I can manipulate this data to make what ever Ball I prefer to be #1. How else are you going to show the Cut Blue as the number 1 in your example. He only way this works is if you run the test blind. Give a value to each ball name. Then move the ball name to a different sheet. Out in the numbers you want, and let the spreadsheet find your ball, which will a value, then go check the sheet to see which ball was chosen. If you can see the ball name, you can manipulate any of the numbers to show whatever you want. 

I see what you're saying. If you access the Google docs spreadsheet, hide the column with the ball names, update your golf ball characteristics based on the 0-4 level of importance (0 being the last important, 4 being the most), apply your club weighting importance between the driver, 7 iron, and wedge (must equal 100%), and then resort the total column. Unhide the column with the golf ball name to reveal which is the top pick.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

9 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mY7707rVVaGCxLUSlYsiLOKXsO3FX7ka8LWkSUDHCXE/edit?usp=sharing

Just adjust your club weighting to equal 100% and then rate the ball characteristics for each club (0-4, 0 being least important, 4 being most important) and it will recalculate the rating. Sort by the total column to get new ranking.

Love the work you did. My only input would be instead of letting people rank these player inputs 0-4, each category such as "wedge" gets 10 points and I can assign as many points to any subcat as I want. Maybe in this case because you have 8 sub cats, 32 points is fine but being limited to 4 points each is going to smooth out the important of each one too much. For example, I pretty much don't care at all about wedge ball speed or carry distance, but I care much much more about spin consistency and carry consistency. I'd want to assign the first two things 1 point but the latter two maybe 8 or 10 points each because I think they are more than 4x important.

I think that if you just let people assign 0-4 for all things, some people may just say "well everything is important!" and then it diminished the value of this section of your formula.

Just my humble .02.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

Here's the link:

uh-oh.... since you made it publicly available looks like some folks made some edits to it and it's no longer working...