Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

Going to compare the Oncore Elixir, Vice Pro, and Tour B RX tomorrow during my round.  Won't be able to test extensively, but I do plan to hit some comparative shots to see how they perform.  I've been playing the Vice Pro the last few rounds and really like it, and I've played the Tour B RX for the last year.

Thus far, I've only had a change to hit the Elixir indoors and it definitely feels softer than Vice Pro and RX, and I've also noticed that it runs out a little more on putts.  How it performs on the course may be a completely different game.

I see MGS is looking for testers for the Z Star and Z Star XV, each tester is given 1dz of each to test. Only for USA I'm in Canada so I don't qualify, damn.

I talked with a Srixon rep in their USA head office and he assured me the retail balls (Z Star and Z Star XV) are the exact same as the Tour Pros use. So no Callaway tricks here with Srixon.

46 minutes ago, WalterS said:

I see MGS is looking for testers for the Z Star and Z Star XV, each tester is given 1dz of each to test. Only for USA I'm in Canada so I don't qualify, damn.

I talked with a Srixon rep in their USA head office and he assured me the retail balls (Z Star and Z Star XV) are the exact same as the Tour Pros use. So no Callaway tricks here with Srixon.

While I don’t like the way Callaway approaches their marketing and making it seem like the pros are playing the retail versions of clubs (see usga confirming list for several diamonds epic flashes) and balls and as mentioned earlier it’s not really a trick.  touched on it also in the ball guide that companies have some your only menus for balls. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

While I don’t like the way Callaway approaches their marketing and making it seem like the pros are playing the retail versions of clubs (see usga confirming list for several diamonds epic flashes) and balls and as mentioned earlier it’s not really a trick.  touched on it also in the ball guide that companies have some your only menus for balls. 

... I don't mind clubs because any educated golfer knows the Pro's clubs are different than ours, even if it is only hot melted to enhance ball flight. But I think many assumed the Pro's play the same ball as available at retail. I think Callaway was more deceptive than others when it came to their golf balls. I have some Chrome Soft "Tour Only" balls I bought from MG Golf and the compression as well as green side spin is night and day different than the retail version. 

1059596323_CCSBalls.jpg.b4bad6b164abd17d3060c678ab2c3ec1.jpg

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

28 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I don't mind clubs because any educated golfer knows the Pro's clubs are different than ours, even if it is only hot melted to enhance ball flight. But I think many assumed the Pro's play the same ball as available at retail. I think Callaway was more deceptive than others when it came to their golf balls. I have some Chrome Soft "Tour Only" balls I bought from MG Golf and the compression as well as green side spin is night and day different than the retail version. 

1059596323_CCSBalls.jpg.b4bad6b164abd17d3060c678ab2c3ec1.jpg

Agree and imo Callaway’s approach is not as forthcoming as other brands. I’m not a fan of their marketing approach for all their products and they want to be the cool brand and focus is more on sales (expected from any company in the business of making money) than it is on performance. They like the use the big words and everything is innovative.

they have a video on they YouTube channel about the elitist guy and use titleist ball to portray him. Not the smartest guy in the room and couldn’t figure out the purpose of the video other than to take a shot at titleist after the mgs ball guide. They are all about their wars. 5 year war, ballwar and so on

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

1059105841_Snell1.jpg.81e6ece42808175fc6b1e5a0b7200040.jpg898724480_Snell2.jpg.828d87b46a1bec299f7c25ea0f3cfc84.jpg

Interesting... It almost looks like a mix between ProV and Chrome Soft dimples. One thing though... don't proV have varying dimples every so often? These look all very similar in size except I  notice every so often there's a small bit of random space between a cluster of them.

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

I played the recommended ball from the spreadsheet today, and It seems to be pretty good. it’s a bit softer feeling off the driver, but for irons, short game, and putting it has very good feel to it. I’ll play it for a while and see if that changes. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

3 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I played the recommended ball from the spreadsheet today, and It seems to be pretty good. it’s a bit softer feeling off the driver, but for irons, short game, and putting it has very good feel to it. I’ll play it for a while and see if that changes. 

And what ball was that?

I have a couple of sleeves of ZStar and played one yesterday. Not sure I like it any better than the Q Star Tour. 95-100mph swing speed. QStar seems straighter. More experimentation to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

I've been a Bstone XS player for years, but I tried the TP5 Pix and Z Star yesterday.  Both played very well. The Z Star spun more around the green and felt a little more firm. I found the Z Star had a lower trajectory on drives and long irons.  I think if someone was playing the Truvis, the Pix graphics would be appealing. It's a bit more subtle.  I'll be going back to the XS, however, I could easily game either of the Z Star or TP5.  

The Bstone ball rep said that 2020, will showcase new technology in their ball.  It did sound similar to Callaway a couple of years ago with "the Ball that changed the ball."   Supposedly something that other companies will try and copy??? Interesting at least.

This MGS report has really excited golfers, so I'm all in on their tests.

Hit 'em well everyone!

I found a Vice Driver ball on the course yesterday and used it on 18. Felt good off the driver and irons but like hitting a rock with the putter. First time I've found a Vice ball and thought I'd hit while while I had the chance...it went in the shag bag.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I read through a lot of this thread and the folks who point out the two tests are not the same are very accurate. Iron Byron + outdoors vs human + trackman. Tough to gauge. Both have merit but more testing should be done.

Problems I see:

1. More than 20+ balls should be tested. I think minimum 100.

2. Biggest and most important, the balls need to be from different manufactured batches. Balls sold in a specific region (i.e. North East) are from the same manufactured batch. There isn't enough of a test base to determine if the chrome soft were defective.

3. A human shouldn't be used nor an outdoor environment. Too many changing variables.

4. If the Iron Byron is set up to hit indoors on a screen then the results from the TXG group can be verified against the MGS.

5. The same club needs to be used in both tests. Better yet no club used and the test is done using a specialized pneumatic launcher in a controlled environment.

As of right now, I don't see how either test produces confirmation of results since both introduce error and more than one.

4 hours ago, VBPUTTS said:

I've been a Bstone XS player for years, but I tried the TP5 Pix and Z Star yesterday.  Both played very well. The Z Star spun more around the green and felt a little more firm. I found the Z Star had a lower trajectory on drives and long irons.  I think if someone was playing the Truvis, the Pix graphics would be appealing. It's a bit more subtle.  I'll be going back to the XS, however, I could easily game either of the Z Star or TP5.  

The Bstone ball rep said that 2020, will showcase new technology in their ball.  It did sound similar to Callaway a couple of years ago with "the Ball that changed the ball."   Supposedly something that other companies will try and copy??? Interesting at least.

This MGS report has really excited golfers, so I'm all in on their tests.

Hit 'em well everyone!

So that was the Z Star not Z Star XV? And you thought it was a little too firm. If it was the XV I could understand that but if it's the Z Star then it should feel softer than the XS and spin less according to the data.

What, Tiger is allowing them to change his ball. I'm guessing he must have a lot of input into the changes.

I've read and analysed the report, but can anyone who's gleaned the following info from it clarify some info I'm looking for please?

What Srixon Z star and Bridgeston ball perform better than the Chromesoft and just behind the Prov1 and Prov1x based on a 100mph driver ss and 88mph 6 iron?

Asking as I liked the chromesoft but MGS tests clearly show it's lacking, prov1x is better but I dont think I have the consistent SS or strike to justify it's use.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

48 minutes ago, pilot25 said:

I read through a lot of this thread and the folks who point out the two tests are not the same are very accurate. Iron Byron + outdoors vs human + trackman. Tough to gauge. Both have merit but more testing should be done.

Problems I see:

1. More than 20+ balls should be tested. I think minimum 100.

2. Biggest and most important, the balls need to be from different manufactured batches. Balls sold in a specific region (i.e. North East) are from the same manufactured batch. There isn't enough of a test base to determine if the chrome soft were defective.

3. A human shouldn't be used nor an outdoor environment. Too many changing variables.

4. If the Iron Byron is set up to hit indoors on a screen then the results from the TXG group can be verified against the MGS.

5. The same club needs to be used in both tests. Better yet no club used and the test is done using a specialized pneumatic launcher in a controlled environment.

As of right now, I don't see how either test produces confirmation of results since both introduce error and more than one.

If done indoors that takes out the aerodynamics of the ball. 

3 hours ago, WalterS said:

So that was the Z Star not Z Star XV? And you thought it was a little too firm. If it was the XV I could understand that but if it's the Z Star then it should feel softer than the XS and spin less according to the data.

What, Tiger is allowing them to change his ball. I'm guessing he must have a lot of input into the changes.

It was the regular Z Star (Yellow) and firmer throughout the bag.  It was not bad, just less muted compared to the TP5 or XS.

Who knows about 2020.  It could be visual technology (camo), microchips like Oncore, or a hole-attracting magnet. 🤣🤣🤣

There are other ways to test the aero package on a golf ball to demonstrate any tangible differences between brands/models.

Absolutely true unless tested in a big enough environment like a stadium where there is no wind and the temp and humidity can be controlled.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Going to compare the Oncore Elixir, Vice Pro, and Tour B RX tomorrow during my round.  Won't be able to test extensively, but I do plan to hit some comparative shots to see how they perform.  I've been playing the Vice Pro the last few rounds and really like it, and I've played the Tour B RX for the last year.
Thus far, I've only had a change to hit the Elixir indoors and it definitely feels softer than Vice Pro and RX, and I've also noticed that it runs out a little more on putts.  How it performs on the course may be a completely different game.
Looking forward to this comparison. Just picked up some Elixir's myself but haven't out them in play yet.

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

There are other ways to test the aero package on a golf ball to demonstrate any tangible differences between brands/models.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Are you thinking of a aerodynamic wind tunnel? It's possible but that only tests the exterior design. It would introduce another test flaw in that the ball deforms when coming off the face of the club. I'm sure the manufacturer engineers know if that effect is significant enough to change results. Probably isn't.

This method would be a secondary test vs just one test of hitting the ball. Not ideal.

This is all minutiae and just fun conversation but I'd be interested in a test that eliminates all error.

My gut feeling is the MGS test got a bad batch of Chrome Soft balls.

5 hours ago, pilot25 said:
8 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:
If done indoors that takes out the aerodynamics of the ball. 

Absolutely true unless tested in a big enough environment like a stadium where there is no wind and the temp and humidity can be controlled.

Golf is played outdoors and should be tested that way. 

1 hour ago, pilot25 said:

Are you thinking of a aerodynamic wind tunnel? It's possible but that only tests the exterior design. It would introduce another test flaw in that the ball deforms when coming off the face of the club. I'm sure the manufacturer engineers know if that effect is significant enough to change results. Probably isn't.

This method would be a secondary test vs just one test of hitting the ball. Not ideal.

This is all minutiae and just fun conversation but I'd be interested in a test that eliminates all error.

My gut feeling is the MGS test got a bad batch of Chrome Soft balls.

If they received a bad batch of Chrome softs wouldn’t that be a bigger issue? That would point back to a very poor QC process. So if one batch was bad and made it out of the factory, isn’t it likely that many more bad batches made it out of the same facility? 

9 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

If they received a bad batch of Chrome softs wouldn’t that be a bigger issue? That would point back to a very poor QC process. So if one batch was bad and made it out of the factory, isn’t it likely that many more bad batches made it out of the same facility? 

I had the same reaction about the implication for Callaway QC.  Now that we know that the tour pros were not using the retail ball, it makes sense that the Chrome Soft would have these type of results in the MGS testing.  There had to be  clear reasons they were not using it.

2 hours ago, bellairemi said:

I had the same reaction about the implication for Callaway QC.  Now that we know that the tour pros were not using the retail ball, it makes sense that the Chrome Soft would have these type of results in the MGS testing.  There had to be  clear reasons they were not using it.

The Thing about it is that I really like the Chrome soft, especially the yellow and black. I very much play golf by feel. For what ever reason the Chrome soft golf ball just has the right feel. However, if I let myself just pick a ball based on the test and not worry about cost, the test chose the BXS Bridgestone. Played it on Saturday and shot 44-37. I struggled around the greens on the front. The BXS has a similar feel to it on the mid-irons and putter, and feels a bit firmer off the driver, which is good. I am going to play this ball for a while and give it a good test, the decide if I want to try something else or stay with it. I don’t like to change balls, but sometimes I let other things influence my choices. I don’t like spending that much for balls, but they do run a 4 for 3 on the BXS So I can get them approx 34 a dozen of I decide to go that route. Good luck to all in their ball quest. 

Edited by Kor.A.Door

The talk around feel is intriguing. Most associate feel with sound and that’s something mgs has touched on in the study and from what I’ve seen in their replies on social media and the blog.

to me feel is what the feedback I get in my hands/arms on contact. Was there any vibrations, does the club feel heavy or light, does the shaft feel too stiff, too weak, somewhere in the middle. 

What most consider feel with the ball I approach it from a sound perspective just as I do with clubs which will obviously change a bit depending on the ball. I play mostly Prov1 or 1x and sprinkle in some tp5 or 5x. The sound between my g400 and my titleist 917 was different. The sound between my pxg, i210, p790 and miuras are all different. Yet the feel when struck right is the same.

Silly question but were all the balls 2019 editions? 

Also, what does the 2019 box of Bridgestone Tour BX look like compared to the 2018 edition? I saw Amazon has the BX for $40 but I am unsure if its the new ball or last years model

Golf is cool

Just now, Tsecor said:

Silly question but were all the balls 2019 editions? 

Also, what does the 2019 box of Bridgestone Tour BX look like compared to the 2018 edition? I saw Amazon has the BX for $40 but I am unsure if its the new ball or last years model

Yes they were all 2019 editions