txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

2 hours ago, dupaloop3611 said:

damn so my Q star Tours are pretty crappy for $35 a dozen?

I tested these yesterday vs the Bridgestone B RX (first time playing either) and I was really impressed with how consistently straight the Q star tours performed. It wasn't perfect but good enough to beat the B RX which was consistently fading on drives and approaches.

Now I need to buy a Snell test pack and a sleeve of the B X and test those ( the B X and MTB Black came out on top for my rankings but I already had the Q star tour and B RX so those were first up). I like the AVX and have posted on it a few times but the crazy shots every once in a while that seemed to come out of nowhere were irritating and now I know why it was happening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, z1ggy16 said:

So based on this, is fitting from 150 and in really the best if you're a player shopping between 3 or 4 high performance urethane tour caliber balls?

I feel the same way about ball fitting. I went through a couple of ball fittings with Bridgestone back when they did that at courses all the time.  Their method was to fit you for the longest straightest ball on your driver. If they could keep you in the fairway closer to the hole, your scores would be better. It made sense to me.

I agree with you about the wedge numbers, there are very close. A couple stand out for being 1 standard deviation better , but effectively, they are all very close.

For me, the biggest thing is a ball that is "straight" off the tee, and has consistent carry with an iron.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jlender21 said:

I have a 7 handicap, SS 104-107, I have been playing chrome softs, any see the extra yardage gain from the Bridgestone B X? I love the feel of the chrome soft, but I would love some extra yardage and the ball go straighter.... any info would be great thanks 

ProV1x, Bridgestone B X are probably the best bets if your just looking for some increased driver performance. They happen to be pretty good at everything else too. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

I feel the same way about ball fitting. I went through a couple of ball fittings with Bridgestone back when they did that at courses all the time.  Their method was to fit you for the longest straightest ball on your driver. If they could keep you in the fairway closer to the hole, your scores would be better. It made sense to me.

I agree with you about the wedge numbers, there are very close. A couple stand out for being 1 standard deviation better , but effectively, they are all very close.

For me, the biggest thing is a ball that is "straight" off the tee, and has consistent carry with an iron.  

Yeah to me, the driver data is by far the most interesting and relevant in this test (high swing speed) which sort of goes against the grain of most club fitting advice. I'm not saying short game stuff isn't critical, but seeing a robot hit shots with 35 different balls shows me other than the obvious difference in spin and launch, most balls will be accurate and predictable with pretty high confidence. They may not  be predictably accurate off your big stick though... and some by a decent amount. 

Assuming testers hit enough shots with each ball to get a good sample size, this is pretty unacceptable in my view. No crazy results off the wedges or irons really, few balls seemed to want to stray off line more than others with the 7i, but for my game there wasn't anything that would kill scores in the top 10 performers off those. 

I think what this data will (and should) do, is reopen some fitters/players eyes that ball fitting with driver is still important and perhaps even more critical to lowering scores than thought before. I think I'll use the rest of my used TP5x supply and then just man up and buy a few dozen ProV1X's and see if my scores for the rest of the year drop any. I do get lessons though and tend to play better as the year goes on so it's not really the best design of experiments... oh well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, txgolfjunkie said:

I see what you're saying. If you access the Google docs spreadsheet, hide the column with the ball names, update your golf ball characteristics based on the 0-4 level of importance (0 being the last important, 4 being the most), apply your club weighting importance between the driver, 7 iron, and wedge (must equal 100%), and then resort the total column. Unhide the column with the golf ball name to reveal which is the top pick.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

yep, that’s a good way to do it 

• Like 1

Just finished reading it. Although they didn't perform great on the test I would say for some golfers they will still be a go to ball. Looking at the ERC it would be ideal for my father-in-law. I think regardless of it's performance or lack there of it will still perform for many. 

25 minutes ago, poprocksncoke said:

Anyone see Callaways response yet?  https://callawaypresscenter.com/company-statement/

Funny that robots and computers are cool to build a driver face, but not for golf ball testing.

If you've been following the Flash testing thread, you know that I'm a huge fan of it so far. With that said, you can't pick and choose when you support tech/robots just to suit your agenda. Not a good look, broskis.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, poprocksncoke said:

Anyone see Callaways response yet?  https://callawaypresscenter.com/company-statement/

You know things are sketchy when their rebuttal is also a back handed advertisement/marketing ploy.

"...And like we always say, never simply take our word for it, or anyone’s word for how our golf balls perform. Go try them for yourself. And when you do, you too will see the truly unique and differentiated performance we believe is experienced by every golfer who plays them and why we have been the fastest growing major golf ball brand over the past four years."

Has Taylormade said much?? They didn't exactly show with shining stars. Not a bad overall look but they didn't blow away anybody. 

I'm curious as to why they think this test and in general, robot tests, are not valid? Every ball was tested under the same conditions, so...whether robots are "best" or not, doesn't really matter. 

Edited by z1ggy16
  • Like 5

It appears Callaway isn’t happy with any testing protocol they can’t buy into! Queue the conference call with Golf Digest.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Got 2 dozen Chrome Soft for Christmas then I read the test and watched the video.  We know from both that I bought into the hype about “feel” so into the shag bag they go. Went to the Bridgestone website and did the online test. The recommended ball? The e 12 Soft. 😖Bridgestone needs to catch up. Looks like I am going to be buying a couple of sleeves of Tour BX and Pro Vx and doing my own test. 

Once again my hat is off to MGS for this great test. I only wish I had the info before my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas!

• Like 1

Ugh, I've never liked Callaway, and that didn't make it better. 

Haven’t liked them since 1999.

Especially after the demo day jack wagon of a rep, and now this?

Just take your licks and improve your product.
  • Like 5

... What did anyone expect from Callaway that is all in on soft golf balls? I see the soda industry is really trying to help the consumer putting LESS sugar in the drinks AND offering smaller portions of their drinks! Did anyone expect them to say that sugar and even worse, chemical additives in their drinks are poison and killing thousands of people every year? You would be infinitely better off drinking water? I have said before soft golf balls are shorter for me and don't spin around the green as much as I need but kept reading how magical soft golf balls are. Callaway staff plays balls different than what is available to consumers but I haven't heard that from Callaway. This is from MG Golf that sells over stock Callaway balls:

These brand new balls (NOT logo overruns or X-outs) are Callaway's "Tour Select" versions—very special balls provided only to Callway's PGA Tour pros (including the elite pros whose names you would immediately recognize) and receive a VIP level of QC. Being tweaked for pro players (and not intended for public sale), they have slight variations to the standard Chrome Soft sidestamp (like a "+" or "★" appended). They are of course USGA conforming.

• Like 9

I just bought 4 dozen ChromeSoft (personalized) and after the results of the test, I dont think I'm going to use them. I think I might go with the Oncore Elixir that I tried and liked.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

"...And like we always say, never simply take our word for it, or anyone’s word for how our golf balls perform. Go try them for yourself.

funny thing about this statement is that if you have been here for a while, you have seen this comment posted many, many, many times. Maybe not the exact words, but we are constantly sayin try several different balls and find one you like. 

Now that this is a statement from Callaway, everyone can’t believe the bold nature of them promoting their golf ball. How dare they 

They say go try it for yourself and make your own decision. We’ve been saying that for years about all golf equipment, from driver to putter to golf ball. I think maybe even tees as well. 

Many of us have said that we should use this data as a guide to help us lean toward some golf balls that fit into a profile of what you are looking for in a ball. Does that change because Callaway sent out a rebuttal of the testing. Their golf ball is still a very good ball, and may or may not suit your game. If it fits into your category of golf ball wouldn’t it be worth a try? 

To each their own I guess. 

• Like 3

I don't think it tested well at 115 MPH but as speeds get slower the performance seems to get better.  

Top 5 or 6 in driver launch angle, spin and distance with driver at 115 mph. What’s not to like ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1