Jump to content
txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

    • Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
      11
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
      1
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
      0
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
      0
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
      0
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
      11
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
      4
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
      8
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
      15
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
      5
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
      0
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
      0
    • Other
      1

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

Recommended Posts

Bridgestone’s response is markedly different from that of Callaway.






Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Bridgestone’s response is markedly different from that of Callaway.
 

 

 

 

 


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

 

 

 

Taking the high road! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bridgestone’s response is markedly different from that of Callaway.







Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
Hahahahaha... nice

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put the elixir in play today. The ball is long and pretty accurate. Off the tee my missed fairways were due to bad swings that no club or ball would have done better. 

Greens were real hard and not many shots from me or my buddies were holding. Watch several good iron shots run well past the hole and chips not bite. Previous experiences with the elixir there’s no issues with wedges 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If i was Callaway, I certainly wouldn’t tell everyone to “see for yourself and pick up a dozen”

 

Kind of an odd way to combat a study done on poor(er) performance.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bridgestone’s response is markedly different from that of Callaway.


[/url]




Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy


Really solid response so props to Bridgestone. I’m kinda getting the feeling MGS said what a lot of ball manufacturers wanted to say.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played today and hit 3 different balls on a few shots to see any differences for me. The 3 balls were the Cut Grey, OnCore Elixr, and the Pro V1X. These were the only 3 balls in my bag or I would have tested more.

From the tee with the driver:
I did this test a few times to try to produce as similar results as possible. I managed to hit each one on the same line with the same trajectory and they all ended up within 5 yards of each other.

Off the tee with a 8 iron:
This is where they started to separate from each other. With similar shots the Cut rolled out 20ft off the green. The Pro V1X rolled out about 10ft while the Elixr only rolled out about 5ft.

Inside 75 yards to chips just off the green:
I couldn’t get the Cut to stop to save my life. However the ProV1X and the Elixr were almost identical.

Putting:
They all seemed fairly similar here with the edge going to the Elixr as it was slightly softer feeling and that is what I prefer.

With all that said here is my take,

I could play any one of these 3 balls or any other urethane/softer feeling ball. This test is a great starting point for someone looking for a ball. The key is to play the same ball all the time so YOU AS A GOLFER know how it reacts when YOU PUT YOUR SWING on it.

I am also not surprised there are performance differences between brands but I am surprised there are performance differences between the same model. Quality Control issues?


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Put the elixir in play today. The ball is long and pretty accurate. Off the tee my missed fairways were due to bad swings that no club or ball would have done better. 

Greens were real hard and not many shots from me or my buddies were holding. Watch several good iron shots run well past the hole and chips not bite. Previous experiences with the elixir there’s no issues with wedges 

 

Still waiting for my order of the Elixir to be delivered.  I could tell if you were happy with the Elixir of not?  

I played 18 with the Vice Pro and was more than happy with the results.  Consistency off the driver was very good and liked the way it performed on approach shots.  Putting was extremely good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jjfcpa said:

Still waiting for my order of the Elixir to be delivered.  I could tell if you were happy with the Elixir of not?  

I played 18 with the Vice Pro and was more than happy with the results.  Consistency off the driver was very good and liked the way it performed on approach shots.  Putting was extremely good.

I’m more than happy with the elixir. I play it occasionally but it’s not my normal gamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to the test, I decided to try the MTB-X balls.  Definitely longer with less spin off the tee than any other ball I have tried previously.  Low trajectory with wedges and partial shots but plenty of spin.  Very well mannered around the greens.  Will be playing this the rest of 2019.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading the report and watching the video, have a questions about swing speed and "soft"  golf ball.  Several times the report stated a "soft" ball is a "slow" ball unless you have a slow swing speed. Question is: what is a "slow swing speed" for this report - is it below the 85 mph level used in the report? Did the report identify how "slow" your swing needed to be to make a "soft" ball work for you ?

As a senior with a 75-80 mph driver speed, I'm trying to determine how the report relates to my game.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bellairemi said:

Thanks to the test, I decided to try the MTB-X balls.  Definitely longer with less spin off the tee than any other ball I have tried previously.  Low trajectory with wedges and partial shots but plenty of spin.  Very well mannered around the greens.  Will be playing this the rest of 2019.

Could you tell us what balls you used previously that you're comparing the MTBX to. Did you find them going to the extreme left off the driver(115mph) like the tests indicated they did. What is your driver swing speed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played Snell Red last year and was very happy.  Since that ball was discontinued I ordered the Snell test pack (6 MTB and 6 MTBX).  Tested them on Trackman last week and had interesting results:

Tee Shot- Black average Carry 237, Spin 2780 and Launch Angle 15.8.  MTBX Carry 225.7, Spin 2938 and Launch Angle 13.5

Not just on averages, but looking at individual shots the MTB was consistently longer for me.  

7 Iron- MTB Avg Carry 147, Spin 7115 and Launch 23.2.  MTBX was 149.7, 7287, and 23.3.  So no meaningful difference here.

54 degree wedge hitting a three quarter shot- MTB average spin was 6921, MTBX was 6262.  More importantly with the MTB I had half the shots over 7500 spin, MTBX never got higher than 7253.

I want to repeat the test, but at this point MTB has the advantage for me, being longer off the tee and spinning more on pitch shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, rwc356 said:

After reading the report and watching the video, have a questions about swing speed and "soft"  golf ball.  Several times the report stated a "soft" ball is a "slow" ball unless you have a slow swing speed. Question is: what is a "slow swing speed" for this report - is it below the 85 mph level used in the report? Did the report identify how "slow" your swing needed to be to make a "soft" ball work for you ?

As a senior with a 75-80 mph driver speed, I'm trying to determine how the report relates to my game.

 

 

 

Slow would be under 85 MPH.  I think the data also shows that the slower the swing speed the less distance gap between the balls overall (not really surprising).  My takeaway from the data is playing a softer ball with a 75-80 MPH driver speed won't hurt you, but there may also be little to no advantage.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mowine4me said:

I played Snell Red last year and was very happy.  Since that ball was discontinued I ordered the Snell test pack (6 MTB and 6 MTBX).  Tested them on Trackman last week and had interesting results:

Tee Shot- Black average Carry 237, Spin 2780 and Launch Angle 15.8.  MTBX Carry 225.7, Spin 2938 and Launch Angle 13.5

Not just on averages, but looking at individual shots the MTB was consistently longer for me.  

7 Iron- MTB Avg Carry 147, Spin 7115 and Launch 23.2.  MTBX was 149.7, 7287, and 23.3.  So no meaningful difference here.

54 degree wedge hitting a three quarter shot- MTB average spin was 6921, MTBX was 6262.  More importantly with the MTB I had half the shots over 7500 spin, MTBX never got higher than 7253.

I want to repeat the test, but at this point MTB has the advantage for me, being longer off the tee and spinning more on pitch shots.

Interesting, what's your driver swing speed. That's a considerable distance difference between the two considering the distances.

Edited by WalterS
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This test was SO awesome.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone got any thoughts on the vice pro, the numbers look really good and from my amateurish reading it seems to be a consistent ball but it only rated good?

 

Anyone fill me in as to why?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WalterS said:

Could you tell us what balls you used previously that you're comparing the MTBX to. Did you find them going to the extreme left off the driver(115mph) like the tests indicated they did. What is your driver swing speed. 

Mostly played ProV1x but also a few from Bridgestone and the TP5x.  Did not see any strange ball flights and today saw that they held their line in the wind better than the ProV1x.  Driver swingspeed is 100-102.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 5:45 PM, Hollis said:

If i was Callaway, I certainly wouldn’t tell everyone to “see for yourself and pick up a dozen”

 

Kind of an odd way to combat a study done on poor(er) performance.

 

Why wouldn’t you? We have been saying that in these forums for over 10 years. Now that a company says it, they are wrong. The only part of the study where the Chrome soft didn’t fare as well as others is driver distance. You have to try different balls to determine what works best for you. We’ve been saying that around here for a long time. This ball test can point you into a direction for a type of ball, but you still have to try them out. I don’t care what any marketing department says or doesn’t say in regards to this test, it will not sway me in determining my choice of golf ball. I am going to find the best one for me, based on my own metrics, and distance off the tee is not the top priority, otherwise I would use a rock flight. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put the 18' Pro V1x in play today and really enjoyed it. Previously, I had a mental block of sorts when I tried any of the Pro V1s, but after digging through the MGS Ball Test I decided to switch from the MTB Black and commit to them. Now I'm just trying to stock up on them, and I really feel like I've made the right choice in terms of overall performance! 

And on a separate note, all the chatter on Twitter is...interesting. Kind of odd how some seem to think the test was only directed at one company 🤨

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...